The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Heavyweights are so hard to guage in MMA. Most of them are kind of that last bastion of guys who were really great at a few things, rather than the lighter weights where guys tend to be more well rounded. So Reem's good for sure. He belongs in the top 10 among heavyweights. But I do agree there's a segment of the internet MMA community (shertards) who think that Reem is god's gift to MMA and Lesnar doesn't even belong in the cage with a man of his caliber. I have to agree that in that sense, he is overrated by some.

Interesting story doing the rounds at the moment regarding Bellator champion Zoila Gurgel (Frausto), wife of former UFC and current (I think?) Strikeforce fighter Jorge Gurgel.

Basically she tore her ACL (horrible injury, from multiple personal experiences) and due to some lapse/mix up with her medical insurance, she's asking for fans to help foot the bill. Bellator don't cover out of competition injuries, leaving the couple saddled with something like $5,000 worth of medical bills. $2,000 has been raised so far.

That number is crazy to me, as here in the UK we typically don't pay for healthcare. I guess that's just the reality of life for folks in the US...but without getting into a politics debate on healthcare, what do people think about the Gurgels asking fans for money?

To throw some fuel on the fire, someone on the UG trawled her twitter and brought up the fact that she purchased herself a flashy new car a couple of months ago. Not cool if she's then asking for handouts. On the flip side, if people are willing to help out, where's the harm?

From a strictly MMA point of view this makes Bellator look really second rate, especially in light of the UFC's healthcare policy. Sure, they can't do something similar, but when one of your champions is essentially begging in public for money to cover an injury sustained in training for a Bellator fight, the promotion comes off as seriously bush league.

One of the reasons I want Lesnar to pound Overeem is because Overeem is incredibly overrated and I love to see illusions like that shattered. It's fun watching people have a breakdown because a carefully cultivated fantasy has been shattered and they have to deal with reality.

I want Lesnar to win purely because I think he's alright. I also think he gets way too much hate because of the WWE thing. I think he has a great chance.

Interesting story doing the rounds at the moment regarding Bellator champion Zoila Gurgel (Frausto), wife of former UFC and current (I think?) Strikeforce fighter Jorge Gurgel.

Basically she tore her ACL (horrible injury, from multiple personal experiences) and due to some lapse/mix up with her medical insurance, she's asking for fans to help foot the bill. Bellator don't cover out of competition injuries, leaving the couple saddled with something like $5,000 worth of medical bills. $2,000 has been raised so far.

That number is crazy to me, as here in the UK we typically don't pay for healthcare. I guess that's just the reality of life for folks in the US...but without getting into a politics debate on healthcare, what do people think about the Gurgels asking fans for money?

To throw some fuel on the fire, someone on the UG trawled her twitter and brought up the fact that she purchased herself a flashy new car a couple of months ago. Not cool if she's then asking for handouts. On the flip side, if people are willing to help out, where's the harm?

From a strictly MMA point of view this makes Bellator look really second rate, especially in light of the UFC's healthcare policy. Sure, they can't do something similar, but when one of your champions is essentially begging in public for money to cover an injury sustained in training for a Bellator fight, the promotion comes off as seriously bush league.

Generally speaking, most people in the USA don't have separate fund for healthcare expenses. On one hand, it sometimes due to poor judgment-but other times, it's because it's so expensive anyway, any funds you have will be easily used up, so what's the point of setting any back-up fund, unless you are really rich?

As for buying a new car what-not, I agree, but she probably didn't expect to tear her ACL in traning. And to be honest, it's not really Bellator's fault either.

I also want to say this, and I hate to point this out, but his husband, Jorge Gurgel, isn't always known to be person with good judgment-career-wise and business-wise.

Generally speaking, most people in the USA don't have separate fund for healthcare expenses. On one hand, it sometimes due to poor judgment-but other times, it's because it's so expensive anyway, any funds you have will be easily used up, so what's the point of setting any back-up fund, unless you are really rich?

I don't think anyone is expecting fighters to have $50,000 stashed away for medical expenses, but you'd thing that having an insurance policy would be a top priority for an athlete. A mate of mine is a footballer, he has insurance that specifically covers knee and ankle injuries, because if they go he can't make a living.

As for buying a new car what-not, I agree, but she probably didn't expect to tear her ACL in traning. And to be honest, it's not really Bellator's fault either.

I think the point people are making is that she should sell the car before asking people for $5,000. Although if she's paying in instalments, the devaluation on the car might remove that as an option.

And agreed, it's not Bellator's fault, but it damages their image to have a prominent fighter, one of their champions no less, on the scrounge for her medical fees while their calling her a 'world champion' or whatever. I suppose you could always make the argument that she's not exactly a prominent fighter after the way they've promoted her.

I also want to say this, and I hate to point this out, but his husband, Jorge Gurgel, isn't always known to be person with good judgment-career-wise and business-wise.

True that. I don't know the area where his school is, but I'm told it's not exactly a financially solvent area. As for pros, the biggest names training with him are Rich Franklin and Dustin Hazelett, so it's hardly a champion factory. There was also some story a while back about him supposedly getting screwed over by his business partners, but I can't remember the details off the top of my head.

The reality is you can also choose to spend money on your own healthcare insurance plan here in the US. I pay around $120 a month for my own health insurance. It sucks. But I do this so that if I get injured or in an accident I can go to an E.R. and they pay almost all of my medical bills.

So in this country we have a serious issue with those that want healthcare for free when a huge chunk of us pay for it. I think all of us wish we didn't have to pay for it. But we do. Most americans have health insurance taken out of our paychecks. At my current job, if you work full time (I work part time currently as I'm a full time student) they pay 100% of your healthcare insurance and its a decent plan, but you start out at a horrific hourly wage.

So in short... most of us pay for it in some way or the other. Then there's people who don't have health insurance and don't pay for it. They get injured or sick and complain about how awful this system is.

So it creates this massive tension between those that pay for healthcare insurance and don't always need it... and the ones who need it and don't bother paying for it who regret it after the fact. I dont want to get into who is right and who is wrong. It's crappy that bellator cant pay their fighters healthcare costs. But these fighters can also pay for private healthcare insurance. OBviously, a pro fighter is going to have to pay more monthly than I do, but it's better than getting stuck with $50,000 in bills.

God bless the military. I get free health care and 100% tuition assistance. I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about the issues most people deal with every day.

The reality is you can also choose to spend money on your own healthcare insurance plan here in the US. I pay around $120 a month for my own health insurance. It sucks. But I do this so that if I get injured or in an accident I can go to an E.R. and they pay almost all of my medical bills.

So in this country we have a serious issue with those that want healthcare for free when a huge chunk of us pay for it. I think all of us wish we didn't have to pay for it. But we do. Most americans have health insurance taken out of our paychecks. At my current job, if you work full time (I work part time currently as I'm a full time student) they pay 100% of your healthcare insurance and its a decent plan, but you start out at a horrific hourly wage.

So in short... most of us pay for it in some way or the other. Then there's people who don't have health insurance and don't pay for it. They get injured or sick and complain about how awful this system is.

So it creates this massive tension between those that pay for healthcare insurance and don't always need it... and the ones who need it and don't bother paying for it who regret it after the fact. I dont want to get into who is right and who is wrong. It's crappy that bellator cant pay their fighters healthcare costs. But these fighters can also pay for private healthcare insurance. OBviously, a pro fighter is going to have to pay more monthly than I do, but it's better than getting stuck with $50,000 in bills.

You do realize that there are some people (a lot of the ones fighting for health care) that can't afford it? I'm paying about $90 a month for the cheapest insurance my company offers. That on top of rent, car insurance, other bills, and student loans is the difference between me eating like a normal human being or having to eat ramen noodles for dinner every night. I don't have any kids either, so imagine someone who works the same position as me and is a single parent with even more bills. It isn't a matter of "not bothering to pay" but more "don't have the means to pay". Like anything else there are people who want to abuse it, but assuming that is the bulk of those fighting for it is a bit absurd.

But this thread really shouldn't be a discussion on such things.

$5,000, while a lot of money, really shouldn't be that hard for her to come up with. Add to that the fact that you can generally set up payment plans with them so that you don't have to pay it all up front.

As for the car, it depends on how she payed for it. If she bought it outright then I see no reason why she couldn't trade it in for an older model and have money to pay off her debt. However, if she got financing then generally the financing body will only loan you what the car is worth, the blue book value. Say you are allowed a $18,000 loan but the car is only $16,000 then the bank will only give you the $16,000. So if she were to try and to downgrade in order to have extra money there could be some potential complications with the loan.

Yea I dont want to devolve into a heathcare debate either. But allow me to be clear. I dont think that the healthcae system here is good. I wish it was free for everybody like anyone else. So that's that.

The truth is I make an extremely small amount of money and have my own private insurance because of the risks of my jobs. I understand some people cant afford it. Of course I do. But you also must realize in the USA you have that option not to get healthcare insurance. That is the RISK you take one way or the other. You might pay $120 a month an never need it like me. Or you might need it and get stuck with $50,000 in medical bills. That is the RISK you take.

If you are a pro fighter making money in this country, you need your own insurance. It can be done. If you dont make enough money as a fighter to supplement an insurance payment, then get a job like the rest of us do. I know SEVERAL aspiring pro fighters here in Philly, two of which work in my warehouse. Why? Insurance. And to supplement their income.

Yea I dont want to devolve into a heathcare debate either. But allow me to be clear. I dont think that the healthcae system here is good. I wish it was free for everybody like anyone else. So that's that.

The truth is I make an extremely small amount of money and have my own private insurance because of the risks of my jobs. I understand some people cant afford it. Of course I do. But you also must realize in the USA you have that option not to get healthcare insurance. That is the RISK you take one way or the other. You might pay $120 a month an never need it like me. Or you might need it and get stuck with $50,000 in medical bills. That is the RISK you take.

If you are a pro fighter making money in this country, you need your own insurance. It can be done. If you dont make enough money as a fighter to supplement an insurance payment, then get a job like the rest of us do. I know SEVERAL aspiring pro fighters here in Philly, two of which work in my warehouse. Why? Insurance. And to supplement their income.

I hate say this, but any other job, maybe. But fighitng is one of those jobs where you can't actually afford to get a regular 9-to-5 job-your training suffers. It's doable, yes. But it's extremely distracting, and depending on how flexible your boss is, fighting may not be an option for them. Who wants a worker that may or may not get injured due to fighting or training, or may be missing work, especially at unknown times? Not many, especially in this economy, I tell you. You can tell them "don't be a fighter then." That's not something I'm going to dispute. But it's hard to defend the situation as ideal, for anyone.

It's not just about money-other employers will not a fighter like that. Heck, other fight promotions don't want fighters like that. That's why the UFC has exclusive contracts, so they don't have to deal with this kind of issues.

Looking at the card again, I think we're getting some highlight reel KOs out of this one. There are a lot of heavy hitters on this one and it'd be a real bad turn for none of them to bring the goods.

Are at the very least, exciting fights. Depending on how BJ Penn wants to do this, we might see a slugfest with Diaz going down the first round, or Penn going down the third.

Man this should be good. With the clock change in the UK is it a 2AM start right? May end up having to watch tomorrow night's repeat.

edit; damn, doesn't look like there is one on ESPN.

I dunno what time the clocks actually go back, but the prelims on FB start at the same time as usual (11:30pm), so the Spike/UFC.tv prelims will start at 1am and the main card at 2am, same as usual. I'll be changing my clocks after it's started, just to avoid confusion.

Don't expect much from ESPN with regards to UFC programming now. Now that the Fox deal is done, UFC will be going to Sky in August. It seems they're content to use Premier Sports/UFC.tv/FX for the Fight Nights, UFC on Versus/Fox/Ultimate Finales etc instead of renegotiating with ESPN like they used to, and ESPN have basically taken a 'screw you guys, then' approach.

Less advertising, less replays, less broadcast consistency for things like MMA Live.

Are you on Virgin Media/BT Vision? You should be able to get the main card OnDemand by Sunday morning though if you are.