The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

The fights were good but the finishes to the Bantamweight and Featherweight finals were dodgy in their own way, with the Bantamweight fight stopped way early and Brandao holding on to the armbar after the tap; if you watch it, even live, it was clear he held onto the hold for a few seconds after the referee made made them break. I don't know if that one went over peoples heads or they just knew enough to know that it wasn't wise to call attention to it because nothing was going to made of it for obvious reasons, but it was blatant. I thought Ferguson/Edwards was probably the best fight of the night. I think it's unfair to call Mayhem's performance garbage, because he looked good in the first round, and I think Dana is being equally unfair to question Mayhem's status in the UFC over what happened. I think Mayhem's cardio simply let him down. It's never been that bad before and we know he can go five rounds if need be, so I'm inclined to believe it was the adrenaline dump and give him the benefit of the doubt. Certainly, I think he deserves at least one more fight before deciding he doesn't have a place in the UFC.

The fights were good but the finishes to the Bantamweight and Featherweight finals were dodgy in their own way, with the Bantamweight fight stopped way early and Brandao holding on to the armbar after the tap; if you watch it, even live, it was clear he held onto the hold for a few seconds after the referee made made them break. I don't know if that one went over peoples heads or they just knew enough to know that it wasn't wise to call attention to it because nothing was going to made of it for obvious reasons, but it was blatant. I thought Ferguson/Edwards was probably the best fight of the night. I think it's unfair to call Mayhem's performance garbage, because he looked good in the first round, and I think Dana is being equally unfair to question Mayhem's status in the UFC over what happened. I think Mayhem's cardio simply let him down. It's never been that bad before and we know he can go five rounds if need be, so I'm inclined to believe it was the adrenaline dump and give him the benefit of the doubt. Certainly, I think he deserves at least one more fight before deciding he doesn't have a place in the UFC.

I think you have to understand, if he let it go, and then Bermuda denied he tapped, what then? You don't let go until the referee stops the fight. Plan and simple.

Are you kidding? First round mayhem made bisping his bitch. If miller had good cardio for this fight bisping would have gotten owned. Bisping is also a pussy, gets "poked in the eye" and turns around before the ref does anything, or how about trying to kick miller in the head when he was grounded. No wonder everyone outside of the UK hate him.

Lol, Miller proved tonight he had poor cardio and even though Miller won the first round it was hardly making Bisping his bitch, 2 minute wall n stall won him the round. Bisping was out striking him even in round one and proceeded to absolutely pulverise him in 2 and 3.

It's just pure hate to think Miller would have won that fight, no way could he have matched Bisping's ability to go 5 rounds at that pace even with better cardio. I've met Bisping and he's one of the nicest guys out there, there's never any reports of him being a douche when meeting fans like certain other big name fighters. The fact you used a poor example shows your a Bisping hater like most. When he hurt his eye he actually unintentionally gave Miller a much needed break, why would he do that intentionally? People have done alot worse things than try a head kick on a grounded opponent.

Are you kidding? First round mayhem made bisping his bitch. If miller had good cardio for this fight bisping would have gotten owned. Bisping is also a pussy, gets "poked in the eye" and turns around before the ref does anything, or how about trying to kick miller in the head when he was grounded. No wonder everyone outside of the UK hate him.

Wow, this is so inaccurate.

Bisping was always going to win a fight against Mayhem, he was a dreadful style match-up for Miller. Did he lose the first round? Yes. Did Miller make him "his bitch"? Far from it. You call someone getting poked in the eye and reacting to it as though it hurt "a pussy"? I can assure you from personal experience that being jabbed in the eye bloomin well stings (and I was poked by a friend who wasn't trying to hurt me, let alone a trained fighter trying to punch my head in).

The head kick attempt was moronic, I will give you that, but the entirety of your statement before this excerpt is misguided at best and delusional at worst.

Wow, this is so inaccurate.

Bisping was always going to win a fight against Mayhem, he was a dreadful style match-up for Miller. Did he lose the first round? Yes. Did Miller make him "his bitch"? Far from it. You call someone getting poked in the eye and reacting to it as though it hurt "a pussy"? I can assure you from personal experience that being jabbed in the eye bloomin well stings (and I was poked by a friend who wasn't trying to hurt me, let alone a trained fighter trying to punch my head in).

The head kick attempt was moronic, I will give you that, but the entirety of your statement before this excerpt is misguided at best and delusional at worst.

As I have said previously, Bisping is far from my favourite fighter. But I have to be worried about the amount of blind hate being thrown his way today. People hating on him, building up Mayhem, saying that 'the win meant nothing' and 'Bisping was gassed and shit' and such while saying only hours earlier that Mayhem was a lock to tool Bisping. I think Mike might just be the best heel in the history of ever.

Put him in against Hendo again while Munoz/Chael fights Andy. That could be fun.

Bisping deserves respect after that fight. Miller's one of the toughest in the game. In fact, I don't recall the last time he's been stopped. It's been years.

I was hoping Miller would win with the pre-fight lead up but he was bested by Bisping. Literally bested in every way. Yes, Bisping lost the first round. But in winning that one stinking point Mayhem gassed himself out and it would come back to bite him later in the fight. Bisping outclassed him on the feet and stuffed every one of his takedown attempts after Miller's single successful one.

I'd like to expound on a point. Dean's early stoppage of the Dodson fight prompted a conversation among my friends and I. I was defending Dean's tendency for earlier stoppages, saying that all that is going to happen 9 times out of ten the downed fighter is just going to take a more horrific beating. Herb's protecting the fighter. The second a guy goes limp, chances are he's not getting back up. I don't need to see a violent barrage on a downed fighter and I never want to see a guy get permanently injured.

Then what? A half hour later a dude goes down ugly and gets hammered. I feel almost certainly would have stopped that fight. But Rosenthal let it play out as Brandao was still defending himself and he turned out to get that spectacular armbar for the win. I guess that was that one time out of ten lol.

Great night of fights all around though.

99% of the time, after that

Bisping deserves respect after that fight. Miller's one of the toughest in the game. In fact, I don't recall the last time he's been stopped. It's been years.

I was hoping Miller would win with the pre-fight lead up but he was bested by Bisping. Literally bested in every way. Yes, Bisping lost the first round. But in winning that one stinking point Mayhem gassed himself out and it would come back to bite him later in the fight. Bisping outclassed him on the feet and stuffed every one of his takedown attempts after Miller's single successful one.

I'd like to expound on a point. Dean's early stoppage of the Dodson fight prompted a conversation among my friends and I. I was defending Dean's tendency for earlier stoppages, saying that all that is going to happen 9 times out of ten the downed fighter is just going to take a more horrific beating. Herb's protecting the fighter. The second a guy goes limp, chances are he's not getting back up. I don't need to see a violent barrage on a downed fighter and I never want to see a guy get permanently injured.

Then what? A half hour later a dude goes down ugly and gets hammered. I feel almost certainly would have stopped that fight. But Rosenthal let it play out as Brandao was still defending himself and he turned out to get that spectacular armbar for the win. I guess that was that one time out of ten lol.

Great night of fights all around though.

99% of the time, after that

People forget that he didn't stop the Dos Santos/Carwin fight, when I think if he did, he would have been right. Dean sees small things that no one else sees. He's good at that. Remember when White blew up when Dean stopped the Mir/Sylvia fight. At first, it seemed like he stopped to early... but on replay, Mir snapped his arm. Not a lot a people caught that.

I always thought Bisping would win, but I didn't expect Mayhem to gas. Once you gas, you are done. BJ Penn's losses that are finishes are proof of this.

What's reach? I never really understood it.

Exactly what it says on the tin; how far a fighter can reach.

It can be confusing sometime though, as some organisations measure it fingertip to fingertip while others go armpit to the end of the fist. So when you hear about Jon Jones having a 84.5 inch reach, that's obviously fingertip to fingertip. Otherwise each of his arms would be 7 feet long :-p

Exactly what it says on the tin; how far a fighter can reach.

It can be confusing sometime though, as some organisations measure it fingertip to fingertip while others go armpit to the end of the fist. So when you hear about Jon Jones having a 84.5 inch reach, that's obviously fingertip to fingertip. Otherwise each of his arms would be 7 feet long :-p

That's what I didn't understand, thanks

Bellator will be moving to Friday nights from March next year. Now, maybe I'm out of touch with US social habits, but everywhere I've lived in the UK and Europe, Friday night has not been a 'stay in and watch sports/TV' night. Like I say, maybe its different in the US, but Friday night is the traditional 'go out after a week at work night' for most people I know.

Also, the move will put them in direct competition with the new, live TUF. Nice move. Don't get me wrong, moving away from Saturday's was a great move considering some of the scheduling stupidity they had last season (Chandler vs Alverez on the same day as Shogun/Hendo, Silva/Le and Faber/Bowles). With the number of cards the UFC are gonna have next year, they'd be blown out of the water. But Friday nights still seems like jumping out of the fire back into the frying pan, so to speak.

What's the problem with Thursdays?

Well in Canada and the US, Friday nights are crappy tv night. However I think more people go out on Saturdays then Fridays.

As for moving to thursdays, they be better off moving to Sundays, as thursdays are typically good tv night & bellator would have a lot of compition, that would be worse for them.

Also in Canada it would stil be Saturdays as the channel that shows bellator, the score, also airs smackdown & a talk show aftawrds about wwe.

Well in Canada and the US, Friday nights are crappy tv night. However I think more people go out on Saturdays then Fridays.

As for moving to thursdays, they be better off moving to Sundays, as thursdays are typically good tv night & bellator would have a lot of compition, that would be worse for them.

Also in Canada it would stil be Saturdays as the channel that shows bellator, the score, also airs smackdown & a talk show aftawrds about wwe.

They should move to Sunday then. How about Wednesday?

Faber/Cruz has been on the cards for ages. I think its a great choice. Both have had a few UFC fights now and been exposed to the audience (the reason I'm told that they weren't used to coach the BW/FW season), so it makes perfect sense.

In Cruz you have one of the most unbeatable looking champions in the sport and a top pound for pound fighter, and in Faber you have one of the best all time sub-155 fighters with a great personality. He's also a great coach. I'd prefer these guys to previous coaches like Rampage or Mayhem for the shows big revamp.

I'm just hoping a few of my pals make it through...BAMMA 155lb champ Rob Sinclair, Tommy '2Gunz' Maguire (brother of John, was actually in the elimination round for season 9) and a couple of others made the interview stages. Got my fingers crossed!