The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

It was reported they will be on Facebook. The Fuel stuff won't start until next year as Spike is currently scheduled to show two of the "prelims" fights

i know,and that's what I am wondering, I get FX Canada but don't get fuel TV and i'm almost 90% sure tht FX canada will have the UFC 142 prelims or rogers sportsnet will have all of them, hopefully the latter.

Wow, that was... unexiting to say the least.

Mousasi was once again a little off-game imo. Refereeing was horrendous overall (at least in the Mousasi & Cyborg fight), and the main event was a little boring, though I guess it was ok to watch as it was pretty high profile.

Problem is I stayed up for this. It's 7 in the morning now. FU Strikeforce. :p

It used to be all about spectacular fights. Now it feels more like a lame wannabe version of UFC. If this was WMMA (lol), I'd opt to disband Strikeforce, integrate most of the fighters into UFC, release the women (their divisions are going nowhere; let them congregate in a sole promotion) and host bi-weekly tv shows. But then again, real life is obviously more complicated then this. But then again, sometimes it isn't. :D

Honestly this was probably as close to a perfect show as SF could have hoped for.

-Noons wins in an exciting back and forth push the pace fight

-Mousassi/OSP had some good action and each man was on top

-Cyborg destroys

-Melendez wins clearly with lots of action, even if rounds 4+5 were a little lull since it was the more of the same and by then you figured neither guy would finish the other

So overall good show, if SF can put "somewhat" name guys giving good action fights, I know I'll keep watching.

Problem is long term sustainability (big surprise). For example, who does Melendez fight next? There is no one you could legimatley bill right now, Fodor/JZ should be a fight away.

then Cyborg of course. They REALLY tried to make Rousey/Cyborg on the announce team but lets be honest, even if that fight happens in say April, who would the winner face? There is no one.

LHW seems decent right now as there at least something to look forward to though.

Not to continue the announce team bashing too much that always goes on but something I noticed tonight was there was ALOT of, how to say, unprofessionalism. "Do you need glasses"(numerous times), "Did you really just ask me that? Well the guy in the trailer told me to ask". It wasn't OVERBOARD, but watching the UFC, or NFL/MLB w/e games, the announcers just dont, and shouldn't, talk like that throughout the whole two hours. Focus on the fighters and the sport if you are trying to make little jokes or comments to fill space instead of mocking your production values.

Ok, I am FAR from an expert on MMA, but surely you 'jest', Jester. :p

A near perfect show? From an organisational standpoint SF seems to f everything up. The ref was actually planning on stopping the Mousasi fight twice, luckily saved by the bell. The Cyborg fight was prematurely stopped. We knew who would've won eventually, but let's give her a little more chance? I mean, she did come over all the way from Japan. And the way she got up the second time (when it was stopped) made me believe she wasn't finished yet (though the ending probably wasn't very close).

I must add that I've only seen the last 3 fight, so you could be right. :p But my opinion might be colored, as the Mousasi fight kind of pissed me off.

I do agree that shouting is a no-no in any form of announcing, but sometimes a lot of crazy stuff happens. Rogan is also known for his recurring bashing of refs who reset fights or poor/flaky judging.

I don't think the Cyborg stoppage was THAT premature. It was premature for like, a couple of seconds. That's it. She was eating bombs and at best, would have ended up like Jan Finney.

Besides, the "2nd best" Female Featherweight fought a bunch of cans to become the "2nd Best". She fought a lot of fighters a lot smaller than her. In fact, there's only a few "challenges" left for Cyborg at 145, many of which should not be fighting at 145.

Official Strikeforce quote from Hiroko Yamanaka: “I don’t remember much." Do you think the fight was stopped early now, Blackman?

I agree, that's what I said. But for a person who's been looking forward to that fight for years (which is what she said in the build-up; can of course be promo crap she's forced to say)??? I guess you can give them at least a couple of seconds more. For the 20 max fights they're gonna have in their life, a couple of punches to the head will not make that much of a difference.

I hope for Cyborg she can fight the men sometimes. Must be a boring life for her right now. Realistically speaking, she might go down to 135 after the showdown with Rousey. But let's face it. Unless the weight cut will almost kill her, there is no way she'll lose at this stage of her career. Seeing Tate fight defensively lately, there is no way she can withstand the storm that is Cyborg's offense. Result: a almost completely uninteresting sport as far as women are concerned. I'd make work of a promotion that unifies them all and tries to host recurrent fights in order to increase the number of professional practitioners. In a couple of years, we'll talk again. I think Dana has pretty much the same view on the subject, so it baffles me why he's getting bashed for it by women everywhere.

On a sidenote: still need to see UFC 140. Saw the ending of Big Nog's fight as a gif somewhere, so that's spoiled for me, I guess. :p

Personally speaking, the better women fighters are around 125 and 135. There's some good fighters lower than that weight, but most men (yes, MEN) complain about having MALE Featherweights, Bantamweights, and Flyweights, I can't see them even accepting anything below 125 for Females. Heck, a lot men don't even want female Featherweights and Bantamweights.

For Cyborg to get to 135, she needs to rid of that goddamn horse meat. Or find some way to lose that excess muscle she's built up. I don't care how she got it. If she wants to make 135, she's going to need to get rid of some of it. She's not likely going to be able to 135 with all that.

I agree, that's what I said. But for a person who's been looking forward to that fight for years (which is what she said in the build-up; can of course be promo crap she's forced to say)??? I guess you can give them at least a couple of seconds more. For the 20 max fights they're gonna have in their life, a couple of punches to the head will not make that much of a difference.

The job of the referee is the protect the fighters first and foremost. He could have let her got Finney'd, and then he'll big trouble for a late stoppage. Steve Mazagatti could have been refereeing that fight, and that would have seen Yamanaka get her face pounded in for 3 rounds, maybe even 4 or 5.

Ok, I am FAR from an expert on MMA, but surely you 'jest', Jester. :p

A near perfect show? From an organisational standpoint SF seems to f everything up. The ref was actually planning on stopping the Mousasi fight twice, luckily saved by the bell. The Cyborg fight was prematurely stopped. We knew who would've won eventually, but let's give her a little more chance? I mean, she did come over all the way from Japan. And the way she got up the second time (when it was stopped) made me believe she wasn't finished yet (though the ending probably wasn't very close).

I must add that I've only seen the last 3 fight, so you could be right. :p But my opinion might be colored, as the Mousasi fight kind of pissed me off.

I do agree that shouting is a no-no in any form of announcing, but sometimes a lot of crazy stuff happens. Rogan is also known for his recurring bashing of refs who reset fights or poor/flaky judging.

I don't jest at all, what would you have wanted better from a business and promotional stand point? Melendez getting a finish is the only clear thing.

How did SF F anything up? You can't bash a fight (or a show) because the referee ALMOST screwed up. He didn't screw up the Mousassi fight, and thats what matters=success. The stand up was bad but by no means ruined the fight, so we got a good fight, once again=succes.

The Cyborg stoppage was a few punches early but was no means an out cry. She was getting pounded and would have continued to get pounded. The last thing you want is Cyborg who is a "beastly" woman pound a feminine looking woman into the mat to the point of her being in a scary KO'd, not moving, bloodied up coma. The referee isn't controlled by SF so once again, how did SF F it up?

Instead of looking at it from Strikefroce's stand point you seem to be overreacting to the typical MMA Referee conundrum. SF doesn't have alot (if anything) to work with and put on a darn good successful show. If you had to grade it from an actual show stand point and not a name value point (as obviously they can't compete there) the show would get a 4/5, and if you think this show was bad, I would hate to see what you say when there are mulitple bad ref jobs which is common in the UFC, or when you talk for 50 minutes and get 2 minutes of fighting in an hour, or dull boring fights or title fights that are dull and the champion gets criticized for not trying. Its a business that you can't control the final output and they had no recalls.

for a person who's been looking forward to that fight for years (which is what she said in the build-up; can of course be promo crap she's forced to say)??? I guess you can give them at least a couple of seconds more.

I have this discussion alot at my job, where theres now quite a few casual MMA fans. And they ALL hate these supposed early stoppages.

I think if you let Santos tee off on that woman for another "couple of seconds" it was just going to be a more viscous beating for two longer seconds. Once the hands go down and she goes limp, even for a second, the fight is over in my eyes.

Now I'm all for giving a guy (or girl) every opportunity to recover. I enjoy Rosenthal because he seems to give fighters that chance. I also agree with protecting a fighter who's out or unconscious. I don't need to see a brutal beating like that. I dont want to see severe injuries. I take this stance, so I have to accept if a stoppage is Two seconds too early.

Didn't watch the strikeforce card, but was wondering for people still want melendez to fight Edgar after his lack luster fight?

Was it really lackluster? I've seen a few people online call it that and I really didn't think it was. Masvidal was a tough opponent who has really good striking - he took out KJ Noons with it last time out - yet Melendez decisively won the stand up. He was aggressive yet controlled, throwing constant combinations. This wasn't Melendez squeezing out a win, pointing his way to victory, and doing the minimum. The champion fought to his opponent's strength and still won clearly and decisively. A finish would have been nice, but again, Masvidal is tough.

Fair point. I couldn't sit here and say it was a "stunning, electrifying performance" or something crazy. But both of those guys are great fighters and I think both would have good careers in the UFC.

I would be pumped about Gil/Edgar but I'd be pumped about anyone versus Edgar. The guys the new blood and guts warrior. How do you not wanna see him fight anyone? Loving that guy right now!

While I don't think Masvidal is a great fighter (he's too relaxed for his own good, too reliant on his standup), I do think Masvidal is a decent fighter that has fairly good defenses. Melendez could have tried to press Masvidal against the cage for five rounds. He went the harder route.

Back on Masvidal, though, he relaxes way too much. He acts as if won the fight, and he didn't. He needed to start hitting Melendez hard in the fourth round, and he should have went balls out in the fifth if he wnated to win.

From an organisational standpoint SF seems to f everything up. The ref was actually planning on stopping the Mousasi fight twice, luckily saved by the bell.

Nothing to do with Strikeforce.

The Cyborg fight was prematurely stopped.

It was as near to a perfect stoppage as I've seen.

We knew who would've won eventually, but let's give her a little more chance?

A chance to what? To get hurt? If we knew who would've won...then why?

I mean, she did come over all the way from Japan.

And? Should we risk someone's health because they flew a few miles more than the other person? If I live 10 mins from the arena and my opponent lives 20, should the ref stop fights quicker for me than him?

And the way she got up the second time (when it was stopped) made me believe she wasn't finished yet.

Look at how many boxing matches get stopped while both fighters are standing vs one fighter standing over a floored opponent. A ref is perfectly entitled to stop an MMA contest while both fighters are standing if he thinks one fighter is done. To me, standing up means nothing, it's instinct/pride.

Same here. I knew Mousasi a little back in the day (he lived near me in Holland). So much potential there, but he's not looked at all great in Strikeforce, the Babalu fight being the exception.