Total Championship Wrestling: Tuesday Night Wars

I think jhd1 has some insider information on the picks because he is leading angeldelayette's diary pick list as well. I am onto to you jhd1!:D

Now for my more serious comments:

In reagards to the first show, I am glad to see the Syndicate go. To me Tommy should be more of a lone wolf type character who does not need back up.

I forgot that TCW limits you to 90% matches in the default (I always change it to 70 or 80), that sucks because I used to love the way you wrote segments and now we are going to be seeing less of them.

Great job on the first show and major kudos for getting an A for the overall show rating! I would kill for that (well not really) in my personal TCW game, the best I usually get is a B+.

Well anyways keep up the good work as always.

jhd1 provided a number of alts for the project (along with FINisher), but I don't think he got insider info to any real extent... Nothing that would help him with picks...

I did change the match-angle ratio to 80%, but not for PPVs. Having a ton of angles on the pay per view didn't feel right.

Regarding the grade, I'm actually finding solid grades relatively easy with TCW on 2010. It might just be the approach I'm taking this time around, but it seems easier than it did on 2008. On 08, I would struggle to get much above a B for the two months as I got the popularity of the workers up. On 2010, show grades matter a bit less (at least in what is required to avoid dropping to cult), I found it easier to get solid (B+ to A) grades almost from the start.

Well done. It has to feel good getting an A on a show with the pre-set storlyines. Nice Twist at the end of the Freedom Fighters/Syndicate match. I am very curious as to how you go about splitting them two up for good.

PS I was fooled into thinking the Benson/tornado ladder match would be of the normal set up.:)

I can't really say I have any issue with any of the preset storylines. I wasn't in a massive rush to end most of the other, beyond wanting to get my own ones rolling. Some of them will resurface later, however.

As for the ladder match, a big part of the reason behind that was the post-match attack by Peak. I should though the image of him rag-dolling Benson into those ladders would be effective. But a regular hanging object ladder match didn't really seem right either, with no title or object to grab.

That was one hell of a show. As far as the World title match not being the main event goes, I assumed you'd decided that either the Syndicate/Freedom Fighters storyline was a bigger deal or thought that Cornell/RDJ would get a better rating then Keith/Golden, so I let it slide :p

Thanks.

The reasoning was partly because I figured the match would grade better, partly because of the importance of the Syndicate-RDJ feud, and partly because it would have fans thinking "typical Cornell". I don't like the idea of Cornell ever having been acknowledged as the owner of TCW, but it would be rumored. And many fans would be tired of having him put himself over everyone else on the roster, even though he is the most talented guy on the roster. So having the title match as the semi-main event here would be giving those fans more ammo to complain.

Awesome, awesome show BP! Can't wait to see where this 'new era' takes us.

As I was reading the show, in the back of my mind I was waiting for a 'here's a little fact' from Azaria so I was happy it came up, it's a classic catchphrase if you ask me!

Thanks jhd1. And yeah, I do like Azaria's catchphrase, as its a great way to throw little details out there. Like where Golden's "Tank" nickname came from. Now I just need to find different ways for Azaria to segue into the catchphrase.

how did you pull a 24 min match out of Golden? And get a B!

I actually think people tend to underrate Rocky Golden. He's below the standard of the rest of the TCW main event, but not unbelievably so. His stamina is C+ and using the match length guides from 2008, I figured he could go about 24-28 minutes without being exhausted. I didn't want to push it, because of his Psychology (C+). Its really his Selling that's more worrisome to me at D+. Again a quality opponent like Keith, it worked. Against lesser opponents, the match grade would suffer.

I think at times it is perfectly OK not to have the main event not be for the World Title, especially if it is for such a personal and long running feud as the Cornell-RDJ one. I would have questioned the move more if the main event was for a midcard belt, instead of the World Title.

Now if the World Title match was not the main event on a regular basis, then I think it does devalue the Championship in the eyes of the fans. And for next month's PPV, you probably should see if Golden has what it takes to actually deliver in the main event. A B is fine for semi main if you follow with a strong main event, but the main not so much and that was against a ring general like Sam Keith. Would he be able to pull off the same, against a fellow 'hoss' like Rick Law ?

Yeah, I don't mind the approach if its a monster feud. But it does feel weak if you find a reason to do it all the time.

I did some "testing" through the early part of the diary, in the lead-up to this PPV. I won't say too much, but Golden did better than I expected even against opponents who aren't as talented as Keith. Plus, it doesn't hurt that the popularity of my tops guys has jumped up pretty quick.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
awesome show. Tommy-RDJ has more drawing power than Golden-Keith. I know Golden is the champ but Tommy is still one of the best wrestlers on the planet and his rivalry with RDJ has been a main aspect in the promotion for a while so it's only natural you would go with 2/3 Falls over the World Title match.

Opening with a PPV makes perfect sense for TCW. As you said, it allows you to tie up some of the previous storylines but still give us an insight into what they were. Almost like a backstory, really. A 'previously on TCW'.

Very well written show, by the way. Definitely distinct from your SWF diary. To be honest, a part of me thought this might be Gen-S with a different cast, but I'm delighted to be proven wrong. There's a great atmosphere about your TCW.

Enjoying it so far (that part was never in doubt). Also never in doubt was the appearance of Jason Azaria's catchphrase. Your attention to detail is one of my favourite parts of your writing. I love how you write Azaria and Rhodes as more of a 'legitimate' sports broadcasting team, as opposed to the over-the-top hyperbole of the SWF crew. The way they should be, in my opinion. The way I've always imagined them, anyway. Neither seems too out-and-out babyface or too heelish, they just say what they see and debate it.

So far so brilliant. :)

I was going to "play it cool" and not respond to all the comments. I just can't do that - it feels ungrateful to not even at least acknowledge someone taking the time to make a comment. I know that I am lucky enough to receive more comments (and, at least for this show, predictions) than a lot of the writers here, and I never want to take that for granted.

I assumed you put Golden and the world title match as the lead in to the main event because you figured Tommy-RDJ in a gimmick match would draw more heat and a better rating. Given Rocky's work in progress ring skills, it makes sense.

To be perfectly honest, on Gen-S, it probably would have been down simply to the Cornell-RDJ being a likely better grade. I focused far too much on results in that project, simply because I was overly paranoid of the fall to cult. But that seems to be much less of a concern in 2010, plus I just don't want to take that same approach anyway. So I have learned some lessons from Gen-S.

Heya. Poppin in to say great show. Not sure I buy Law as a title contender yet, but I'll let you do your thing.

Thanks. Law as a title contender and main event player will hopefully feel legit in coming shows. That said, not everything is as it seems, either.

awesome show. Tommy-RDJ has more drawing power than Golden-Keith. I know Golden is the champ but Tommy is still one of the best wrestlers on the planet and his rivalry with RDJ has been a main aspect in the promotion for a while so it's only natural you would go with 2/3 Falls over the World Title match.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed.

Opening with a PPV makes perfect sense for TCW. As you said, it allows you to tie up some of the previous storylines but still give us an insight into what they were. Almost like a backstory, really. A 'previously on TCW'.

Very well written show, by the way. Definitely distinct from your SWF diary. To be honest, a part of me thought this might be Gen-S with a different cast, but I'm delighted to be proven wrong. There's a great atmosphere about your TCW.

Enjoying it so far (that part was never in doubt). Also never in doubt was the appearance of Jason Azaria's catchphrase. Your attention to detail is one of my favourite parts of your writing. I love how you write Azaria and Rhodes as more of a 'legitimate' sports broadcasting team, as opposed to the over-the-top hyperbole of the SWF crew. The way they should be, in my opinion. The way I've always imagined them, anyway. Neither seems too out-and-out babyface or too heelish, they just say what they see and debate it.

So far so brilliant. :)

Great to hear, D. Thanks.

I was honestly a bit concerned about it coming across as too close to Gen-S. Especially using a very similar layout, relatively similar backstage segments, and obviously the same basic narrative tone. My vision of the promotions is quite different, as I keep saying, but I really wanted that to come across. I don't think that most TV shows will have match reports that long and involved, but I hope most PPVs will.

The commentating of Azaria and Rhodes feels more natural to me than what I did in Gen-S. I'm going for a combination of "legit" sports commentating and old school wrestling commentating. I feel it adds more to the storytelling, and its an easy way to provide some background details (which I love doing!). The Sports Entertainment approach get tired pretty quickly, at least from a writing perspective. Which is why I ended up only having the commentators throw in little bits here and there for the most part.

Great first show, BP. Looking forward to seeing how things pan out.

Glad to see you using the same format from the SWF diary too, I did always like that layout. :)

Thanks!

I didn't see much reason to change the layout, beyond distancing this project from my previous one. People seemed to quite like the Gen-S layout, so why mess with something that worked?

Regarding the layout, I alway found it odd how many other writers I have had ask me permission to use some aspect of it in their own work. While I always appreciated the gesture, it always seemed to be based on the thought that I had innovated the whole thing. I really just added a few things to what other had used before me.

Mmm, the opening description of the show's set alone was enough to set that out, which is nice.

That opening honestly felt... heavy-handed. I don't know another way to describe it. At the same time, it also seemed necessary. I wanted to set out the atmosphere and ethos of my vision of TCW right away. I could have given away small details through that show and the next few shows, maybe throw some details into some of the Total Mark segments... that just seemed too scattered. So I went with the heavy-handed approach. I just wanted it to be clear that the whole TCW approach had diverted a lot from the SWF Sports Entertainment approach they originally mimicked.

One other note - jhd1 and FINisher have both done a number of privately-requested alts for this project. Plus a custom render from jtlant. Since I want to share their great work but only use 75x75 images in the diary, I will try to remember to post full-size images of the alts once I've debuted them. The artists can then put the alt thread if they would like. Thanks for the work, guys. Its most appreciated.

Great, great show - was looking forward to that and certainly wasn't disappointed! I'm glad the FF won - definitely prefer Rough Justice without the Syndicate.

Thanks, Jaded. Glad you enjoyed.

Before I forget, the alts... These are by jhd1...

Ricky Dale Johnson in a biker vest

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Alt/RickyDaleJohnson_alt12.jpg

Rick Law as a heel, with and without sunglasses

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Alt/RickLaw_alt21.jpghttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Workers/Alt/RickLaw_alt20.jpg

More of them coming as they debut...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/TotalMark.jpg

Mark 5.0

The Art

It is an art form.

The critics may disagree with that. They will say things like "Its just wrestling" and try to make lame repetitive jokes about two nearly-naked guys rolling around in front of a bunch of gawkers. Its "teh ghey". If its just not your thing, I get that. I can accept that. It doesn't make the artistry behind it any less impressive.

An "Inside the Actor's Mind" episode I once saw with a well-known actor laid out nicely. I can't recall the actor. But his point was that in a film, its fairly easy to make the viewers care about the hero. Give him or her a few positive traits that makes them likeable, some vulnerability, and have them do one or two "heroic" things. The fans will buy it. Making an antagonist they will cheer against isn't too difficult either - negative traits and do evil things. However, making a villian who is emitable hateable by the viewers, yet has some depth of character without ambling into the territory of being sympathetic, therein lies a true challenge. That takes a master of the craft - creating a villian who wants to take over the world and loves torturing people, yet is a loving husband and a good father, and remains believable.

The world of pro wrestling is very similar. Its easy to get out there and make the fans boo you. Just get on the microphone and insult the city you are in, the fan's intelligence and their mothers. They will boo. But that is just cheap heat. Making them truly hate you and everything you stand for takes more work. More time. More art.

I grew up watching some of the best heels that American pro wrestling has ever created. Workers who could make the fans hate with all their heart and all their soul. Names like Rip Chord, Sam Keith, Bruce the Giant, Dread, Nemesis, Eric Tyler, BLZ Bubb... Some of the most hateable workers and each a unique villian unto themselves. Chord with his condescing ****iness and quick wit. Keith with his damnable stoicism and spirited hypocracy. The charismatic violence of Nemesis. Eric Tyler's painful enforcement of old school values, which he was willing to ignore when it suited him. Bruce, Dread, and the demonic Bubb all like monsters out of a fairy tale, come alive on my TV screen. They all had the art of it.

But Tommy Cornell... Tommy was something different...

If those other heels are artists, then Tommy is a DaVinci. A Rembrandt. A Vincent van Gogh. A true master who takes things to another level.

It was there from the start, when you look back on his early work in the Surpeme Wrestling Federation. He was a fresh-faced kid basically, trying to play a babyface role. The in-ring talent, which is the basis of everything for Cornell, was there even then, if still a bit raw. He was trying to play the "good guy", yet you could see the pieces that would come together to make him a great heel down the road - the charismatic mic work, the easy sneer, the taunting of his opponents...

Having the pieces isn't enough. The artistry of Tommy Cornell is more than just the sum of the pieces. Its not just how damned dominant he is in the ring. Its not just how he can adapt to any opponent, seamless and effectively. Its not just that he finds the right approach to take on any opponent. Or the way he has evolved over time. Its not only the way he mixes abrasive self-righteousness, machosistic self-confidence, and snippets of humor. It definitely includes the masterful way he can spin anything to try to make himself look better, like a master politician, though its not limited to that. Not even just the way he can go from coldly calcuating to fiery in a moment and without missing a beat. No, it is how he combines all of these aspects.

Any couple of those pieces, done well, could probably make for an effective heel. But Cornell manages to combine all of them and more.

This Mark can recall with frightening vividness the exact moment where it all came together for me and I saw the big picture that is Tommy Cornell, Master Heel. It was mid 2000 and I was watching HGC on TV - the live broadcast was out of Boston, if my nearly-flawless memory is correct. Cornell was a few months into his frist reign as TCW World Heavyweight champion. He had already lost the stink of Supreme by then and had already established himself as the best wrestler on the roster, and quite possibly in all of North America. Though he was feuding with Sam Strong at the time, Cornell was also still having his on-going series of matches with Bryan Vessey. I have never really understood why that was never turned into a full storyline feud, as those matches were spectacular. Many received the coveted 5-star rating from the most respected reviewers in the business. Cornell and Vessey should have been headlining pay per view events, not just TV tapings.

This particular TV main event had the TCW World Heavyweight championship on the line, though it was not one that would receive a 5-star rating from almost anyone. Yet to my mind, it is one of the most important in the series of matches. Rather than the even, back-and-forth affairs tha tmost of their matches were, this one had Vessey look strong. Almost dominant. He had clearly scouted the champion and was trying to exploit every weakness, few as they were. The fans bought in, believing that this talented journeyman tag team star could take down the superstar world champion. Then, after a quarter hour, the champion walked away.

Non-finishes and shmozz endings were not uncommon in HGC in that era. But this one was diffferent. It wasn't a disqualification for interference or someone going overboard. It was the champion simply walking away and accepting a count-out defeat. It felt cheaper than the typical cheap finish.

There was backlash from that. Fans were upset. Some in attendance demanded their ticket price be refunded. Many armchair critics blasted the booking, which they felt made the champion and face of the company look cowardly and weak against an unequal opponent. I myself may have been slightly harsh in my critism of it, even. But the following week, it was all forgotten.

That next week, Cornell came out to start the show and cut a promo. Not just any promo... it was defining. It gave new depth to Cornell's character and justified his actions, though hardly in an acceptable way. His explanation was that it wasn't the belt itself that he coveted, but the respect that went along with being the champion and face of the promotion. That he has been raised with the belief that the respect of others is the most difficult thing to earn and you don't give it up for anything, even if it makes others hate you. Being respected is more important then being liked. Cornell then talked about how if he were to lose the TCW World title to a tag team guy like Vessey, he wouldn't even be able to respect himself. Rather than make excuses, he explained it as the "right" thing to do. He made it seem like he had no other choice, really. The whole promo was heart-felt, spellbinding, manipulative, and borderline evil. I think everyone watching, whether live or on TV, felt some empathy for the man before they came to their senses and hated him even more.

It was that night, that promo, where I realized that Cornell wasn't simply another great amongst the great heels of American professional wrestling. No, he was on another level entirely. He could turn it up to 11.

I don't know that anyone else watching would have felt the same ephiphany watching that promo. It was just another great promo in a career littered with them. In a way, it was no more special than so many others he has done. Yet it was that moment where I realized that Cornell was a Renaissance master at work and each match and promo was another brush-stroke for us fans to enjoy.

Last night was another such brush-stroke. Would most fans watching have even realized it?

Any true artists is willing to bleed for their art. In some cases, even die for their art. Professional wrestlers put their bodies on the line for the craft nightly. Thankfully few die for the craft, but many bleed for it. Many take notable risks and unfortunately many sustain serious injuries. While some injureis are real, many others are faked - like Bryan Vessey's ribs or Sam Keith's knee last night. Sometimes, it's a fine line between fiction and reality.

Tommy Cornell and Ricky Dale Johnson have faced each other in the ring an uncountable number of times. Well, perhaps not truly uncountable, but it's a high number when you add in every house show match. They have done almost everything possible as opponents - every type of match, every injury, finish.... Each time they face each other now, it's a battle of find something fresh. To avoid simply repeating what has been done already. Last night, they came up with something new - a broken nose.

A broken nose doesn't sound that impressive. Despite being painful, it's a common enough injury. What makes it interesting, in my mind, is that its not really an injury you can fake. Well, you could, but not very effectively. Will fans really believe it without the sickening crunch, the flattened appendange, the blood... Unless you can find a way to blade inside your nostrils, not so much. So that backward headbutt Cornell took square to the nose from Johnson was not fake or "sold". It was legit and intentional, and so was the damage.

What I find most interesting about the whole sequence is that it was done too late to really be a defining moment in the match. It wasn't a signature moment or something really intended to be remembered as vital. Yet Cornell was still willing to do it. He took the pain of that moment and all the discomfort that will be part of the healing process simply to add a specific splash of color to one more brush-stroke.

Vincent van Gogh cut off his ear for his art. Can Cornell's broken nose compare to that? Not in the basic sense, yet... Their canvas might differ as much as their eras, but their artistry and sacrifice do not.

The Total Mark

Monday, Week 1, March 2010

Guest cmdrsam
Very well written. I didnt even catch the broken nose till you just pointed it out. How subtle but yet a great layer you added there. Wow, thats all I can say.

Thanks guys. I figured someone would call me on comparing Cornell to Vincent van Gogh, or even to great aritsts, but it was a fun to write. Plus, it was supposd to be a bit over-the-top and come across as a touch of hero-worshipping. One of the many reasons I have long wanted to do a TCW project is that I've thought it would be interesting to try to define what makes Tommy Cornell so great. He has always been one of my favorite characters in the CornellVerse, and not just for the talent.

BigPapa

Vey well written piece. Tommy has been one of the best characters in the C-verse, not just because it is named after him, but he is the one of the most compelling to use. You really brought that home in the above work. You have a lifelong reader based on the piece aboive and I am really looking forward to more on this. Thanks

Trevor.

BigPapa

Vey well written piece. Tommy has been one of the best characters in the C-verse, not just because it is named after him, but he is the one of the most compelling to use. You really brought that home in the above work. You have a lifelong reader based on the piece aboive and I am really looking forward to more on this. Thanks

Trevor.

Wow, thanks! Glad that people enjoy that piece so much. The artistry aspect is one of the first segments I started on. The basic idea goes back a long time, to when I was still doing my Generation Supreme diary.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/ChroniclesoftheWarVessey.jpg

Preview of TCW Presents Total Wrestling

Tuesday, Week 1, March 2010

No rest for the wicked. And apparently no rest for the battered and broken, either. Although Sunday's The War to Settle the Score pay per view left many wrestlers bruised, broken, and scarred. No sympathy from the Home Office, however - many of those wrestlers are in action this week on Total Wrestling.

Eddie Peak is clearly frustrated at his inability to defeat Bryan Vessey. "The Predator" will have a chance at redemption, and that redemption could come in the form of gold. Peak will again team with Genghis Rahn, and the wild brawlers will take on The Best Tag Team in the World, TCW World Tag Team champions The New Wave.

TCW newcomer Benny Benson is still trying to find the lay of the land in Total Championship Wrestling, and its been a painful journey of discovery. The assault upon Benson by Eddie Peak at the pay per view was particularly nasty and vicious. Its uncertain whether he will be physically capable of wrestling, but "Captain Excitement" is being asked to take on a tough opponent in Sammy Bach.

Ricky Dale Johnson and Sam Keith will both be in action... Unfortunately not against each other. RDJ will take on tag team specialist Joel Bryant, while "The Living Legend" Keith has to face Clark Alexander.

The semi-main event will see Bryan Vessey team with TCW World Heavyweight champion Rocky Golden once again. The talented pair has been quite effective, though it debatable how long they will work together, given the likelihood that Vessey will eventually seek a shot at Golden's world title. They will have their hands full against Brent Hill and John Anderson, the coldly efficient duo known as The Machines.

The main event is a big one and could have repercussions in the chase for Golden's TCW World Heavyweight championship. Rick Law clearly marked out Golden at the pay per view, and many feel that he could be the next to be given a shot at the world title by the Home Office. He will first have to pass the test against Joey Minnesota. "The Philly Phenom" took down Wolf Hawkins, and is a legitimate title contender himself. Whoever emerges victorious may be on the short path to facing Rocky Golden at Just Another Day? at the end of March.

Also, a can't-miss moment for Total Marks - Tommy Cornell will address the dissolution of his association with Wolf Hawkins. Don't miss out!

Total Violence Connection (Eddie Peak & Genghis Rahn) vs The New Wave

TCW World Tag Team Championships Match

Benny Benson vs Sammy Bach

Joel Bryant vs Ricky Dale Johnson

Clark Alexander vs Sam Keith

The Machines vs Rocky Golden & Bryan Vessey

Joey Minnesota vs Rick Law

New Wave are always a threat, but I think they will have to chase for awhile

Benson is a Bach lite. Stick with the original, not the pale imitation.

Both winding down the careers, but RDJ still has main event cred

Alexander is a permanent lower carder, so Keith wins here

Tag team cohesiveness should take this match. that being said, I could see Golden & Vessey winning it to stay strong.

The heel Law seems to have a lot of momentum

The New Wave

Benny Benson

Ricky Dale Johnson

Sam Keith

Rocky Golden & Bryan Vessey

Rick Law

Truly Amazing. You are so good at defining characters that I find myself using the same characters for my TCW game. Just great stuff overall.

Total Violence Connection vs The New Wave

I didn't intentionally pick the whole right side...

Archived