Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Amazing game tonight. Even as a Lakers fan that was fun to watch..

This is EXACTLY how the Suns wanted to see the games play out. The Lakers had better control the pace, work harder to get entry passes inside to Gasol and Odom, and start playing some defense or else they are going to lose this thing.

Also, for a team that was supposed to have learned to be tougher last year, it's disturbing how they are getting physically overmatched by a finesse Suns team. Artest hasn't even knocked anyone down. :(:mad:

I've kind of lost interest in the playoffs being that the 2nd round was a complete joke. Perhaps this series will peak my interest again now that it is tied back up.

I've kind of lost interest in the playoffs being that the 2nd round was a complete joke. Perhaps this series will peak my interest again now that it is tied back up.

This series. And I think the Magic will win tomorrow. So both series will interesting leading into Lakers v Celtics XI: This Time It's For Blood.

As a Celtics fan who tries to not be a typical Boston sports guy and pretend our teams are unstoppable, i Feel, reluctantly, that i have to point out that if the C's fail to take care of buissness in Orlando tonight, you might have two VERY intense and good games in the ECF as well as the finish to the excellent WCF.

If Orlando can win tonight, and steals game 6....all bets are off.

Please C's, for the love of god, close tonight and spare me another 3 days of Bruins comparisons on the radio around here.

On the suns game: Watched this last night, what an amazing level of play from PHX's bench. They just out hustled and out worked the lakers on a ton of plays. Example: Robin Lopez should not be getting a put back OVER Gasol and Bynum.

Great game, Series looks like it oughta be fun. Still like LA in 6, but PHX is putting up a heck of a fight.

Why is it the one New England (Well I like to see the Bruins do well also but I am not a big Hockey fan.) team that I actually like has to be in the midst of choking? The team was so banged up they looked like a MASH unit.

History is still on the C's side, but with that being said.... GO MAGIC lol.

When the C's are healthy they give the magic a fight. Sheed, Davis, and Perkins were all M.I.A this game (injury and ejection) so game 6 will be something to watch.

Perk more than likely will be suspensed, Davis will have effects of the concusion, and Sheed (good or bad) will have to deal with the back injury.

All in all the Magic are making this look like a good series (as are the Suns in the West). Magic still have to win 2 games to advance though.

If perk is suspended for game 6, I'm offically done with the NBA and it's awful officating crews.

The Celtics deserved to lose that game, they played poorly and Orlando brought it all night. But those two technicals might have been two of the worst of all time.

For one thing, the first technical for "throwing an elbow" was a simple mistake by the refs. Perk was trying to help Pierce up, his hand slipped off paul's, and he barley grazed Gortat, who was breathing down his neck after the hard takedown of pierce.

I'm still not sure what EITHER technical was on.

Gortat was just standing there. Sure, he was being kinda a dink by breathing down a guys neck, but he didn't do anything other than get brushed with an elbow. No technical was nesscary for him.

As mentioned above, Perk didn't do anything either. He was trying to pull paul off the ground, lost his grip, and paul went back down to the floor butt first while perk's arm went backwards since he lost his grip and barley touched gortat. no technical was needed here either.

Yet the officating crew panicked and handed out two T's. awful stuff from an awful crew.

Just an awful, awful call against BOTH teams. No tech's were needed, both Guys were quite calm about the whole thing.

The second tech was even more ridiculous. It was a 50/50 call that went against perk, he turned away and walked off, and Rush T'd him up.

As the TNT crew said, it's a freaking playoff game, guys are going to be emotional. Perk did the right thing and turned and walked away, and Rush T'd him up anyway.

I firmly believe along with JVG and crew that Rush had a Brain fart on that second T and in a "no, mine's WAY bigger than your's, how dare you turn away from me" moment, gabe Perk what he thought was his first "warning" via Technical.

I would be shocked and saddened if the NBA doesn't recind at least the first one, which was an awful, awful call.

To not do it would make the NBA look like a joke, ruin what should be an awesome game 6, and in general put the emphsis on how awful the NBA ref situation is.

In no particular order, as an NBA fan, here are 5 officals i can name who are downright awful. in no other sport can i name you officals who go out of thier way to influence a game and make themselves part of it, and thats how it should be. in the NBA however:

Joey Crawford is brutal, how he still has a job after challanging tim duncan to a fight and throwing him out of a game for laughing at the utter ridiculousness of such a thing is beyond me.

Bennet salvator is so concerend with the crowd liking him that if your the home team, you feel VERY confident when you see his name announced. I'm shamed to say as a C's fan I've seen him swing meanigful games for us as the home sqaud

Violet Palmer is just atrocious on all levels. It has nothing to do with her gender and everything to do with her incompatence.

Eddie Rush has been awful for years, and last night was no diffrent.

Dick Bavetta might be the worst of the bunch. He can't keep up with the action andmore, much like crawford, and thus calls an extremely tight and often miscalled game to prove he's still "the man"

IF the NBA got rid of those 5, and replaced them with competant refs from the NCAA, NBDL whatever, I'd be a much happier NBA fan.

In closing, Congrats to the Magic, the officating didn't effect the outcome enough to change the result, but man, we're the calls last night brutal.

If you listen ot the Dan patrick show, Tim Donaghy has been on there for days pointing out how the biases of the refs swing willy between games.

He said that league oifficials come in beforehand to talk to the referees working that night's game and show them calls that they want to see officiated differently. They never come out and say "give this team these calls" but based on the replays they are shown and the emphasis of certain plays, it's implied. At least according to Donaghy.

i'm not a big NBA conspiracy theory guy but it seems plausible.

Looks like the league took back one of the T's on perk. He'll play game six, but a T and he's gone for game seven.

Got a second chance here perk, don't screw it up by getting involved in something.

Game six is the C's game seven imo.

I have a problem with that. If they're upset about his/their officiating of the game, don't have them do any more games during these playoffs. But to reverse decisions is just bush league. Especially when the decision didn't directly impact the result.

If you listen ot the Dan patrick show, Tim Donaghy has been on there for days pointing out how the biases of the refs swing willy between games.

He said that league oifficials come in beforehand to talk to the referees working that night's game and show them calls that they want to see officiated differently. They never come out and say "give this team these calls" but based on the replays they are shown and the emphasis of certain plays, it's implied. At least according to Donaghy.

i'm not a big NBA conspiracy theory guy but it seems plausible.

I have been saying that for years and everybody calls me a conspiracy theorist. Of course the NBA wants a long series, what is it after five games they make a profit (I think I head that in Baseball and I would assume that happens in the NBA if it is true.). So there is no way they want a sweep.

But..it did effect the outcome of the game, we lost our best defensive center for the second half, and to allow the bad tech to stand would take him away for game 6.

Losing perkins didn't cost them the game, there poor play did. But it certainly hurt, and was an absolutly atrocious call. so much so that the national annoucne team, which normally sides with the officials, bashed Rush for the entire rest of the half and most of the third quarter.

It was a bad call, nothing wrong with rescinding a tech that shouldn't have been given. The league office does it all the time.

Just like they upgrade calls they get wrong, which they did to pierce. Which is completely deserved by the way, his foul on reddick late was a flagrant 1, and he got that today so the flagrant points add toward his suspension limit.

Looks like the league took back one of the T's on perk. He'll play game six, but a T and he's gone for game seven.

Got a second chance here perk, don't screw it up by getting involved in something.

Game six is the C's game seven imo.

Did they take the first or second one away?

I can understand why he got the second foul. Dwight gets them all the time, Perk said something and the official reacted. Dwight and Perk both get stupid little T's because of the simple fact they get fouled and dont' shut up. They want to argue about it and it lands them into more trouble.

I don't think the first one was warrented at all. Perk was trying to help Paulie up and Gortat was just really close. The second one was lame as well, but the Ref was proving his authority (in his mind anyway)

Did they take the first or second one away?

I can understand why he got the second foul. Dwight gets them all the time, Perk said something and the official reacted. Dwight and Perk both get stupid little T's because of the simple fact they get fouled and dont' shut up. They want to argue about it and it lands them into more trouble.

I don't think the first one was warrented at all. Perk was trying to help Paulie up and Gortat was just really close. The second one was lame as well, but the Ref was proving his authority (in his mind anyway)

They took the second one away, which irked me as i agree with you.

I guess the thinking was that if they rescinded the first one, they would have to rescind both his and gortat's, and for some unfathomable reason they didn't want to do that.

Neither Gortat or Perk deserved the double T's, they should have just wiped that first T out for both guys.

IMO the officials are too quick with the double T's in today's game, they just toss them out there whenever two guys are within 5 ft of each other and something happens.

They have become a lazy way of "fixing" issues between teams.

I have a problem with that. If they're upset about his/their officiating of the game, don't have them do any more games during these playoffs. But to reverse decisions is just bush league. Especially when the decision didn't directly impact the result.

Ridiculous. T's getting rescinded happens all the time.

Ridiculous. T's getting rescinded happens all the time.

And yet, some (or all) of that crew will still officiate in these playoffs. That's the bigger issue.

Looking back at it, should Gortat's T be rescinded too then, since THAT was undeserved?

And yet, some (or all) of that crew will still officiate in these playoffs. That's the bigger issue.

Looking back at it, should Gortat's T be rescinded too then, since THAT was undeserved?

absolutely, but they dodged that issue by rescinding the second technical on perk and leaving the far more ridiculous double T's on him and gortat in place.

I think the bigger issue people had with your post was that to not rescind the awful, awful tech would have resulted in a suspension, something that would have been utterly laughable.

They had to do that, or risk looking even more foolish than they already did.

If you're talking about "bigges issue" then yes.

But in that case you have to look at everything the league does with it's officials: how they are chosen. how they are trained. which games they officiate. their pay scale. the fact that - biologically speaking - you'd be better off having much younger officials who can run up and down the court better and see with more clarity. etc.

I am glad the Celtics are in the finals once again, I would never have picked them to get this far but they are here. I hope it will be Suns/Celtics...but I know it will probably be Lakers/Celtics.

man 21 times and 17 titles vs (maybe) 31 times and 16 titles (1 NBL and 15 in the BAA/NBA)