Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

So normally I have one sports team per sport. Some guys have a few favorites for whatever reason but I'm a Blues, OU Football, Rams, Cards guy. I was a Celtics fan as well because they had been so awful for so long and had that long history. So I became a fan of them but then Oklahoma City got the Thunder and as a former long time resident of OKC they became my "local" NBA team since St. Louis doesn't have one (for reasons I don't quite understand). So when both teams got into the playoffs I became conflicted. Then the Thunder started beating the Lakers and I was overwhelmed with joy. They fizzled and I'm left with the Celtics which even though the've done well I just lack the passion.

That is until they stomped the Magic tonight. I was so sick of everyone talking up the Magic. Van Gundy is a panicky choke artists who is incapable of leading that team to a championship. This seals the deal here tonight. They were UNDEFEATED in the playoffs rolling over everything in their path and now they can't even win a game against the Celts. The same Celts the pundits and talking heads were sure wouldn't get past the Cleveland Lebron's.

That being said if its LA/Boston in the Finals I see Phill rocking the XI lid when its all said and done.

I never understood why basketball never took in St. Louis or Pittsburgh. I mean both cities have hockey, baseball, and football. So why are they not capable of sustaining NBA teams?

I know both have had teams in the past and they did not stay. However, why put a team in Vancouver (all though they have since moved) when you could put it in St. Louis or Pittsburgh? Maybe St. Louis and Pittsburgh are just not sexy enough destinations for the NBA?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol okay, what I meant to say is this is like the WWE during Attitude ERA, Jordan (like Austin and D-X) started it now it's in it's cool down mode. But parity is what people want, parity makes it equal, so parity is what you get

I found that such a good comparison for some reason. In the same way the WWE went global after the Attitude era I think the NBA has grown... and just like the WWE the domestic market is down a bit but compared to most other sports is still doing very well. Jordans, or Austin's (&Rocks) come along only every so often and it's hard to replace them no matter how talented and popular the next top star is.... Lebron, Cena :p

*Has a tingling to create an NBA mod, "Shaq vs Dwight Howard - HIAC" anyone? :p*

I found that such a good comparison for some reason. In the same way the WWE went global after the Attitude era I think the NBA has grown... and just like the WWE the domestic market is down a bit but compared to most other sports is still doing very well. Jordans, or Austin's (&Rocks) come along only every so often and it's hard to replace them no matter how talented and popular the next top star is.... Lebron, Cena :p

*Has a tingling to create an NBA mod, "Shaq vs Dwight Howard - HIAC" anyone? :p*

You could put Dwight in there against Kendrick Perkins and watch him do the J-O-B.

I agree, even though Magic are my team and I still believe they are talented, I have never been a fan of Van Gundy.

My biggest worry coming into the series was shooting the 3 for the Magic. It's their life-blood and I have never understood why, they have a very talented center that can score low but they never get it to him. They'll play four on the prem. and just him in the middle, meanwhile they are paying Gortat, Howard, and Bass somewhere between 20 and 30 million dollars combine to avg 27 points between them.

I think Stan Van needs to go and someone with a real offense that can score when the 3's are going down, needs to come in.

I think that what the celtics are showing, and have shown over the last few years is that Dwight's complete lack of a post game is a major problem, one that as a celtics fan I am thrilled he hasen't addressed since coming into the league.

I just seriously don't get how a guy with Patrick Ewing as a big man coach can't develop more of a post game than Dunk or average at best running hook to his right.

The Celtics are a very good defensive team. They are looking like a All time defensive team because between Perk/Sheed and baby, they have guys who can cover Dwight one on one, or foul him instead of letting him dunk.

He's a non-factor down there. I'll tell you that as a Celtics fan, I am ECSTATIC when they dump the ball to him vs. perk or sheed,, because i know all he's going to get is:

1. Fouled, and i don't mind that since he can't shoot FT's

2. A low percentage running hook across the lane to his right

3. a Turnover

I mean, to me, even if he developed a solid up and under and a decent turn around, He'd be a monster.

Don't get me wrong, he's a heck of a player, a phenominal defender...But without a post game i wonder how far a team built around him being doubled leading to open 3's can go when they hit a great front court defensive team (Lakers with bynum, spurs with Timmy D, Celtics with perk/sheed/KG/baby)

Those teams just don't double, live with what Howard gets, and stay glued to the magic premier players.

In addition, i think the Magic have Several glaring match up issues, First and foremost being that Rondo is KILLING nelson defensively right now, and Nelson isn't doing a very good job of checking him defensively.

Also, KG is completely neutering Lewis. Lewis seems confused and out o synch on both ends of the floor.

I think that all comes back to Howard's lack of an offensive game though. If he had even a servicable post game, the Celtics wouldn't be able to get away with playing him one on one and essentially playing man defense with rotations on magic preimiter players.

If I were the magic, Game 4 would be nothing but pick and rolls with Howard and Carter/Nelson. That's what gets the celtic's feet moving and gets them a bit of space. This move of theirs to try to play low post ball looking for a double on Howard isn't going to work.

If you notice, Howard's other weakness is passing once he starts to make his one on one move, Carter and barnes SHOULD be getting a few looks, because once Howard starts his iso move on the block, they don't fear him passing it back out. SO they wait to see the move start, then bring the double.

Howard needs to see that, and adjust to pass late once he puts the ball on the floor.

Selfishly, i hope he doesn't figure that out till next year ;)

The question is do the Celtics truly stand a chance against LA? I love the Celts but I'm seeing LA in 5 in the finals.

I don't know, i think Both are great teams and Either could win. I give the edge to LA because of home court but i don't think it will be a 5 game series. I think 6 or 7.

I mean, what would lead you to think they'd dominate us? outside of posey gone for the C's and bynum being healthy, what's really the diffrence?

I now the easy answer is Ron Artest, but Ariza is a nasty defender to, and arguably a similar offensive player. Ron's better, but i'm not sure its "Laker's in 5" better

In addition, can we all agree at this point that Rondo is the real deal? if so, that has to be taken into account, as in 2008 he was simply trying to blend in.

Now, he's improved and the Celtics are blatantly telling the media, big three expressly so, that this is Rondo's team. I mean, look at last night, Rondo called, on several occasions, a college esq hudle on the floor, and every starter SPRINTED to him to get in on that huddle.

I think, knock on wood and assuming they both make it, that it's a knock down, drag out series that should be great to watch and i can see going either way. the Rational non-Celtics die hard in me says Laker's in 6/7, more likely seven.

in 08 I knew Rondo was the real deal but yes this is his team now and I like that. The guy is putting on a post season like D Wade his championship season.

Kobe is still the best player in the NBA and although we have great defense I just don't know how we're going to hold up against the bigger LA team. Trust me I hope I'm wrong and we pull it out somehow but I'll stand by my in 5. Maybe I'm wrong as basketball is about my third or fourth most knowledgeable sport.

in 08 I knew Rondo was the real deal but yes this is his team now and I like that. The guy is putting on a post season like D Wade his championship season.

Kobe is still the best player in the NBA and although we have great defense I just don't know how we're going to hold up against the bigger LA team. Trust me I hope I'm wrong and we pull it out somehow but I'll stand by my in 5. Maybe I'm wrong as basketball is about my third or fourth most knowledgeable sport.

Oh i wouldn't be shocked, I'm just saying i don't really think these two teams are that vastly different, realitive talent level wise, from 2008.

And are the Lakers really so much bigger than the Celtics?

KG is just as tall as Gasol, who he'll be on. Perk is just as big as bynum, who he has traditionally played well.

And we have a seven footer of the bench in Sheed.

I think you have to favor LA, they have home court and are defending champs, but i think it will be a heck of a series, I just don't see either team laying down in 5.

I don't know, i think Both are great teams and Either could win. I give the edge to LA because of home court but i don't think it will be a 5 game series. I think 6 or 7.

I mean, what would lead you to think they'd dominate us? outside of posey gone for the C's and bynum being healthy, what's really the diffrence?

I now the easy answer is Ron Artest, but Ariza is a nasty defender to, and arguably a similar offensive player. Ron's better, but i'm not sure its "Laker's in 5" better

In addition, can we all agree at this point that Rondo is the real deal? if so, that has to be taken into account, as in 2008 he was simply trying to blend in.

Now, he's improved and the Celtics are blatantly telling the media, big three expressly so, that this is Rondo's team. I mean, look at last night, Rondo called, on several occasions, a college esq hudle on the floor, and every starter SPRINTED to him to get in on that huddle.

I think, knock on wood and assuming they both make it, that it's a knock down, drag out series that should be great to watch and i can see going either way. the Rational non-Celtics die hard in me says Laker's in 6/7, more likely seven.

The only way the Celtics even make it a series is if Rondo plays at an elite level for the entire series, not on a game-by-game basis. He needs to be the guy, or the Celtics just won't score enough to keep up with the Lakers.

What's the difference? Ron Artest is a massive defensive upgrade (defensive player of the year massive) that will keep Pierce and/or Allen struggling as they have most of this post-season. Not only are the Lakers big, their second unit can run, something that 4/5 of Boston's offense can't do because they qualify for AARP. All 3 of the big 3 are clearly on the downswing and getting farther from age 30, while on the Lakers everyone other than Fisher is 31 or younger.

As far as being bigger, Artest is significantly bigger and stronger than Pierce, and the Lakers are bigger and stronger at every position excepting point guard.

None of that means the Lakers are guaranteed anything or a series between them won't be competitive. But yeah it's not a surprise the Lakers would be a pretty heavy favorite in this match-up. Rondo's the X-Factor though: if he plays well enough, I think the Celtics could beat anybody.

(I'm a Spurs fan, so I don't have any love for the Lakers. They've just been the best team in the league all year.)

Yeah the Lakers are just great at every position and I don't really think the Celtics have been tested by a great team in this post season, the Lakers either. The Cavs should have been a test but Lebron seemed to be at 50% for atleast half that series and lets face it Lebron was the reason they would be a test in the first place.

I love the Celts and I want them to win another championship but I think the Lakers will run by them in five unless Rondo channels D Wade and MJ and just takes over a series.

The only way the Celtics even make it a series is if Rondo plays at an elite level for the entire series, not on a game-by-game basis. He needs to be the guy, or the Celtics just won't score enough to keep up with the Lakers.

What's the difference? Ron Artest is a massive defensive upgrade (defensive player of the year massive) that will keep Pierce and/or Allen struggling as they have most of this post-season. Not only are the Lakers big, their second unit can run, something that 4/5 of Boston's offense can't do because they qualify for AARP. All 3 of the big 3 are clearly on the downswing and getting farther from age 30, while on the Lakers everyone other than Fisher is 31 or younger.

As far as being bigger, Artest is significantly bigger and stronger than Pierce, and the Lakers are bigger and stronger at every position excepting point guard.

None of that means the Lakers are guaranteed anything or a series between them won't be competitive. But yeah it's not a surprise the Lakers would be a pretty heavy favorite in this match-up. Rondo's the X-Factor though: if he plays well enough, I think the Celtics could beat anybody.

(I'm a Spurs fan, so I don't have any love for the Lakers. They've just been the best team in the league all year.)

We'll see, i've heard all these arguments before, Right before the 2008 finals.

for instance:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/series?series=lalbos

one guy gave the Celtics any shot, and he was resoundingly mocked. It ended up that he gave LA an extra game.

I'm not saying that the Lakers shouldn't be favored, I just find it hilarious that people keep underestimating the Celtics EVERY SINGLE ROUND.

For instance, Experts picked Clevland in 5 or at most, 6. how'd that work out?

They picked the magic as an unstoppable playoff Juggernaut, how's that going?

I think LA should be favored going into the finals, and very likely will win in 6 or 7. But the experts picking LA domination are going to be just as wrong as they were in 2008, just as wrong as they were about CLEV, and just as wrong as they were against orlando.

and considering Rondo's playoff averages for the last TWO full postseasons, I'm not really worried about Derek fisher slowing him down. And if they put Kobe on him, fisher has to either cover Ray, which he can't do, or Paul, which he can't do and arrtest should be doing anyway.

Also, look at artest and ariza's defensive numbers over JUST the last 3 years. They are errilie similar. Ron isn't a defensive player of the year anymore, he's better than ariza was, but not by much at this point in his career.

We'll see, i've heard all these arguments before, Right before the 2008 finals.

for instance:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/series?series=lalbos

one guy gave the Celtics any shot, and he was resoundingly mocked. It ended up that he gave LA an extra game.

Pierce, Garnett et al were on the downswing two years ago? Artest, Bynum and Gasol were giving the Lakers an interior defensive presence two years ago? I mean, yes, basketball was played in these towns, but it's just a fallacy to assume the reasoning hasn't changed.

They picked the magic as an unstoppable playoff Juggernaut, how's that going?

Anybody that didn't see the Magic's problems miles away isn't much of an expert. Yes, they beat-up on a completely over-matched Bobcats squad and a Hawks team that looked like they didn't want to be there.

Also, look at artest and ariza's defensive numbers over JUST the last 3 years. They are errilie similar. Ron isn't a defensive player of the year anymore, he's better than ariza was, but not by much at this point in his career.

You have got to be kidding. Seriously, you're arguing that a 210 pound 23 year old who wasn't even a full-time starter in LA two years ago was just as effective as a 260 pound, all-star, former defensive player of the year who can guard 3 different positions? Oh but their "defensive numbers" (what numbers are you even talking about) are almost the same! Come on now. I'm not saying Artest is the best defensive player in the league, but he's still in the conversation. The guy was voted the 6th best defensive player in the league this year, despite not having impressive "defensive numbers." Ariza... wasn't even the best defender on his team. That would be Shane Battier.

We'll see. again, I've heard all these arguments before about why the Lakers will unleash there fury on the Celtics.

You make good counter points, but they are just as based on opinion as mine are. Your a western Conference guy, so, IMO, you over value guys in the western conference, like Ron. I just as i probably overvalue the competition in the East since i see Eastern conference teams more, and am more familiar with the conference.

We can argue semantics and opinions all day, no one knows till the games are played. Luckily, we should soon get the answers to our questions. Knock on wood, we'll secure our ticket monday or shortly thereafter if the magic steal game 4.

Assuming LA doesn't let PhX extend by losing two in PHX, they should close out shortly thereafter and we'll see how it plays out.

And again, I'm not even taking issue with you or sten favoring the Lakers, I'm not that deep in the green kool aid. I just find it highly amusing and unlikely that the Lakers are going to steamroll the Celtics in 5 games, with the way the Celtics are playing right now and the talent level and pride on both squads.

The one game I had to watch in group with several people rooting for the Lakers and Stoudemire puts the lights out. Not my luck.

It's pretty obvious Lakers in 5 is pushing it, the Celtics are in a different state of mind right now. I totally won't be surprised if they even take it, but my overall guess will be Lakers in 6 at the least.

Yeah I'm not arguing for or against. I won't even comment on it further since its just going round and a round till the games start. Its just fun to say "this is what will happen" and then if it happens ya got braggin rights if it doesn't then you learn not to make crazy claims like Lakers in 5 lol.

You make good counter points, but they are just as based on opinion as mine are. Your a western Conference guy, so, IMO, you over value guys in the western conference, like Ron. I just as i probably overvalue the competition in the East since i see Eastern conference teams more, and am more familiar with the conference.

Actually... they aren't based on opinions. It's not an opinion that KG and Allen are 34. It's not an opinion that Allen and Pierce haven't played well in the post-season. And I'm not the one voting Ron Artest as the 6th best defender in the NBA, so that's not my opinion either. I guess it is my opinion that Artest is significantly better than Trevor Ariza, based on the fact that Artest plays significantly more minutes than Ariza did in LA, is more specialized in a defensive role, has more experience, is physically bigger, had won numerous defensive accolades, etc.

And my "overvaluing" of the West might have something to do that it's objectively a superior conference and has been for over a decade? The East has pulled out exactly 3 championships in the past ten years, and all 3 championship teams made a major trade for a player in the west just before they won (Sheed from Portland via ATL, Shaq from LA, KG from Minnesota). It's a better, deeper conference.

We can argue semantics and opinions all day, no one knows till the games are played. Luckily, we should soon get the answers to our questions. Knock on wood, we'll secure our ticket monday or shortly thereafter if the magic steal game 4.

Well I mean I'd have to start arguing semantics or opinions first? I'm not quibbling over word choice or saying "IMO da Lakerz are da best!" so I'm not really doing either. I have no problem if you feel like you've made your point, but since my whole point is the Lakers are the favorites for a reason, it's worth explaining those reasons.

That said, I like the Celtics, I think Rondo's developed into a great player, and I'd love for Boston to pick up another title.

Shaq played for ORL. first, most big stars are from the east.

West dominated for years there, but it's a much more balanced league now.

And Perice may have not shown up the first two rounds, but he's here now. Who cares if Allen and KG are 34. Are you saying just cuz Jordan was 40 he didn't scare you?

And Perice may have not shown up the first two rounds, but he's here now. Who cares if Allen and KG are 34. Are you saying just cuz Jordan was 40 he didn't scare you?

I agree, look at Kareem or Karl Malone they were both still great going into the twlight of their respective careers.

Yeah I'm not arguing for or against. I won't even comment on it further since its just going round and a round till the games start. Its just fun to say "this is what will happen" and then if it happens ya got braggin rights if it doesn't then you learn not to make crazy claims like Lakers in 5 lol.

Heh, true that. I'm just hoping we finish the Magic tonight, be nice to get some rest while the LAkers play at least one extra game before finishing the job against PHX.

Its all going to come out in the wash in just a little while.

I hope the Celts win it, hell I hope they win it in four. I just don't see them stopping this Laker team. The Celts haven't been this good the whole year and I just feel in my gut that when they get to the finals against a team that has been this good the whole year their going to be over matched.

Like I said before neither team has really been challenged in the post season. The Celts got past the Cavs but Lebron was not the self annointed King he claims to be in that series and with Lebron at half speed the rest of that team is lucky to even be in the post season.

The Suns should have given the Lakers a real test but their over powered and out matched so I don't see that happening.

I want to see Rondo take over the finals and dominate the way D Wade did a few years ago.

Most big stars are from the East? Is this like, Kobe's draft rights started on the Charlotte Hornets? Seriously what? Duncan, Nowitzki, Bryant, Nash, and KG are all MVPs from the West. It's still statistically a superior conference: the Thunder were the EIGHTH seed in the West despite winning 50 games! That's the same number Boston won. And OKC was 22-8 against the East: if they played there full-time, they'd easily be right there with the Magic. If they kept up their same levels of performance they would've won about 60 games playing the Wizards, Pacers, and the rest of the no-hopers in the East.

The East has gotten to the point where it can produce 2-3 teams at the same level as the top 6-7 teams in the west. That's what I mean when I say the west is a deeper conference.

Most big stars are from the East? Is this like, Kobe's draft rights started on the Charlotte Hornets? Seriously what? Duncan, Nowitzki, Bryant, Nash, and KG are all MVPs from the West. It's still statistically a superior conference: the Thunder were the EIGHTH seed in the West despite winning 50 games! That's the same number Boston won. And OKC was 22-8 against the East: if they played there full-time, they'd easily be right there with the Magic. If they kept up their same levels of performance they would've won about 60 games playing the Wizards, Pacers, and the rest of the no-hopers in the East.

The East has gotten to the point where it can produce 2-3 teams at the same level as the top 6-7 teams in the west. That's what I mean when I say the west is a deeper conference.

Sorry, I submitted it and tried to edit but it was acting up.

I was going to edit it to where it said "most big stars are from the East (born wise)"

And you are right, the West is a deeper league with the likes of the 6ers, Wiz, and Nets holding the East down.

But remember the West had Blazers and Sonic battling for the top pick a couple years ago.

Also I want you to remember that the NBA has always gone through this where one conf. is better than the other

While the west may be 7 of 10 in 2000's it's been .500 the last 6 years (West was by far the much better conf. the first 6)

But from 80-99 it was the East going 12 of 19

from 60 to 79 it was the east 15 of 20

50 59 it was the West 6 of 10

So the East holds a commanding lead overall, and with this years free agent class coming up, Lebron, Dirk, Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, D-Wade. Anything can happen with the power shift. But seeing as how most of the teams with money are in the East don't look for many big names to go out West (not saying any wont, just not many)

Top 4 vs Top 4

West first seed Lakers

1) LA vs Cavs; 0-2 (Lost both by a combined 21)

2) LA vs Magic; 1-1 (won by 6 at home, lose by 2 away)

3) LA vs Hawks; 1-1 (won by 89 at home, and blown out by 17 away)

4) LA vs C's; 1-1 (both games by 1 point)

Overall; 3-5

Second Mavs

1) DAL vs Cavs; 1-1 (beat them at home by 7, blown out away by 16)

2) DAL vs Magic; 1-1 (won at Orlando by 10, then lost by 15 at home)

3) DAL vs Hawks; 1-1 (Lost at home by 5, won in OT by 8)

4) DAL vs C's; 1-1 (won at Boston by 9, then lost by 9 at home)

Overall; 4-4

Third Suns

1) PHO vs Cavs; 0-2 (Lost both by 17 away and 18 home)

2) PHO vs Magic; 1-1 (Lost away by 22, won at home by 3)

3) PHO vs Hawks; 1-1 (Lost away by 1 and won at home by 8)

4) PHO vs C's; 2-0 (won both by 25)

Overall; 4-4

Forth Nuggets

1) DEN vs Cavs; 2-0 ( won by 2 away in OT, won by 2 home)

2) DEN vs Magic; 1-1 (won at home 18, lost away by 6)

3) DEN vs Hawks; 1-1 (Lost by 25 away, won by 20 home)

4) DEN vs C's; 1-1 (Lost by 14 away, won by 9 at home)

Overall: 5-3

So the top four teams in the West and top four in the East were even.

You can go well the West is a deeper league, but at the end of the day your top four is all that matters.

In the NFL it's Bengals, Pats, Chargers, Colts vs Vikes, Saints, Cowboys, Cards.

NFC had 6 teams with double digit wins to the AFC's 4

does that mean the NFC is the deeper league? well the AFC had 8 teams at 8 wins or less (8 wins in NFL isn't a winning season nor losing season) NFC had 9

Final week of the season the NFC had no teams battling to make the playoffs, AFC had 5

So even though the NFC seems to have the deeper league, which top 4 were the best?

That's my point, does the West have a deeper league..... yes

is the East a better league top 4 wise.... I believe so. I never think it will be the Suns, Mavs, or Nuggets for the finals. But in the East you could see before the Playoffs the C's, Cavs, Magic, and yes before they tanked in the playoffs the Hawks battling for a title

3 of the four major awards went to the East. the East also had 3 of the 5 all nba first team...... but after that only 2 more on the third team

So I guess it just in the end comes down to, do you want quantity or quality?

But remember the West had Blazers and Sonic battling for the top pick a couple years ago.

Yes, because the Sonics and Blazers had to play 50 win teams 50 times a year. Funny how that causes you to be a bad team. I mean the T-Wolves aren't a playoff team in the East, but they look even worse when they play in a division where every other team won 50 games. The Nets played the Knicks and the 76ers 4 times each and still managed to put up the worst record in the league.

Also I want you to remember that the NBA has always gone through this where one conf. is better than the other

Why do you want me to remember something that I didn't dispute because it is numbingly obvious? In other news, water is wet. Yes, once the East was better. For a long time you could win 35 games and make the playoffs in the West. But it's undeniably the deeper conference and has been for a decade, which is what I said.