Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Great effort from the Lakers bench, Artest and Gasol also stepping up. Lakers not looking like a one man team, I like it!

Looks like Celtics are just riding on Rondo now, if he doesn't perform in game 7 they've got no chance.

That tech foul just called on Kobe was bs.

Kobe has now won back to back championship without Shaq..... How many back to back Championships did Shaq win without Kobe? :p

I remember when Shaq was traded and everyone said Kobe wouldn't win won without Shaq.

Now remove their numbers with each other and here is how it figures out

Kobe; 3 Finals Appearances, 2 Championships, 2 MVP awards

Shaq; 1 Finals Appearances, 1 Championship.

So Tim Donaghy gets in trouble for gambling, and yet these two teams who clearly had the under in the game go unpunished...insane.

Also, if this was the NBA's signature showcase, remind me to not watch next year. What an awful game.

Also one more thing, why does everyone want to hit Jordan's Championship number? Would Russell be more impressive? Or is it just the fact that 11 titles is just to difficult?

I think it is safe to say a lot of these younger players probably have no clue as to who Russell is. They grew up when Jordan was winning his titles.

Sure. If Kobe can carry them to a victory they are a better team.

Lol, quoted this because I had a feeling you'd be proved wrong. Down the stretch Lakers (the better team) carried Kobe ;)

I think it is safe to say a lot of these younger players probably have no clue as to who Russell is. They grew up when Jordan was winning his titles.

I'd say most young guys would definitely know Russell, he's a basketball God. I don't think they use him or guys like Wilt for example as comparisons because the game was so different back then, it isn't really a fair comparison.

Lol, quoted this because I had a feeling you'd be proved wrong. Down the stretch Lakers (the better team) carried Kobe ;)

I'd say most young guys would definitely know Russell, he's a basketball God. I don't think they use him or guys like Wilt for example as comparisons because the game was so different back then, it isn't really a fair comparison.

Good going, you did call it. Homecourt was a factor but the final two games the Lakers were better coached and the better TEAM.

Also I am very proud of Kobe, he's grown up a lot since the days of him and Shaq.

Now the interesting thing is Gasol and Kobe are together for another what 4 years I believe. Bosh wants to go to LA and I am sure LA will be looking to add more talent this year (either MLE or by sign and trade or both). I do believe the Lakers would be willing to give up Bynum if it meant they could land Bosh. There is a five year difference between them, but Bynum's knee has been a bother and Bosh is a 20/10 guy. They also need to find a PG of the future, Fisher can hold it over for a year or two but after that they will need someone. All in all this is a dynasty..... maybe Shaq comes back lmao.

Also I think the reason people don't say russell's name is because like you said, times have changed. There wasn't free agency back then and not as many teams. 6 titles is seen as the mondern day record for elitness among a players. (Or as I like to call it Jordan Era)

Celtics are at a cross-road. They have a mix of young players (Robison, Rondo, Davis, Perkins) that they can build around with older guys that are (like Fisher) going to be able to hold it down for a little while longer. They bought their championship, now it's time to bring in young guys to sit behind the big three and learn while they develop.

I just don't see most of the modern day athletes knowing who Bill Russell was. The NBA is a league of me now, and so I highly doubt the the players now either know or care about the greats from the past.

This is not like Baseball where there is a rich history and a lot of the older players from the past come in and work with the younger players. Heck, how long did it take Kareem to get an asst. coaching job. One of the greatest Centers of all time had a hard time finding a coaching job. Yes I know his personality was not all that great but in Baseball Ted Williams managed to get a job as the manager of the Senators (Texas Rangers now), and he was a huge jerk.

I just don't see most of the modern day athletes knowing who Bill Russell was. The NBA is a league of me now, and so I highly doubt the the players now either know or care about the greats from the past.

This is not like Baseball where there is a rich history and a lot of the older players from the past come in and work with the younger players. Heck, how long did it take Kareem to get an asst. coaching job. One of the greatest Centers of all time had a hard time finding a coaching job. Yes I know his personality was not all that great but in Baseball Ted Williams managed to get a job as the manager of the Senators (Texas Rangers now), and he was a huge jerk.

Who knows..... Remember though that there are few to no NBA players who were even born when Russell played his last game. Kind of how Kareem is the all time leading score and Jerry West is the freakin logo, but Michael Jordan is the man everyone wants to be.

So Tim Donaghy gets in trouble for gambling, and yet these two teams who clearly had the under in the game go unpunished...insane.

Also, if this was the NBA's signature showcase, remind me to not watch next year. What an awful game.

I thought it was an very good game, both teams played outstanding defense, both teams earned every basket.

An NBA game doesn't need to be two teams having a dunk contest to be good.

Kudo's to the Lakers from this Celtics fan, they really locked it down the last four minutes and came through when it counted.

Sorry, but when both teams combine to get to triple digits (barely) going into the fourth quarter, it's not an enjoyable game. And I dislike the dunkfest that basketball has become. I couldn't watch the beginning of the game due to some other stuff I had to do for school, but when I was driving back, I envisioned a high(er) scoring game. Some guys couldn't hit open shots!

That was a GREAT game. Both teams played their asses off, it was physical without being dirty, the officials swallowed their whistles when it mattered, and the defense was spectacular.

Throw in the fact that the last 7 minutes or so were incredibly tight and tense and both teams started hitting huge shots towards the end...well I'm not sure what else you could want..

Some guys couldn't hit open shots!

I could feel the pressure in the Staples Center sitting watching from home in Australia :p I felt sorry for Rondo, Doc took him off when he was starting to get into a real flow then they looked to him to hit every big shot down the stretch.

Allen was so cold again.... oh so cold :(

I didnt watch the game but it sounded like from a lot of people I have talked to that the refs stole this one from the Celtics. I see the FT difference was 37-17.

Free throw's for the series Lakers +39 at their place. Lakers +14 at Boston. Were the Lakers really this much more agreesive this series. 53 more free throw attempt in a 7 game series?

I am a Pistons fan and when we played great D and won a championship everyone said it was boring. Game 7 has good D and BAD BAD BAD jump shooting but they call it a great game? I don't get it.

Also the Lakers fans are real classy. Nice job making your city look bad.

I wanted the Lakers to win cuz I hate the Celtics more. So I chose the lesser of 2 evils. Plus Kobe is the best player in the NBA right now.

I am a Pistons fan and when we played great D and won a championship everyone said it was boring. Game 7 has good D and BAD BAD BAD jump shooting but they call it a great game? I don't get it.

Also the Lakers fans are real classy. Nice job making your city look bad.

I wanted the Lakers to win cuz I hate the Celtics more. So I chose the lesser of 2 evils. Plus Kobe is the best player in the NBA right now.

At least I'm not the only one who saw it that way.