The Official College Sports Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

This thread I figure could be everything college sports (to limit the amount of college sports threads that could be made)

I figure the first two topics could be about the big news.

1) How do you feel about USC's 2 year ban?

2) How do you feel about the Big 12 pretty much closing?

1) If USC did it then they deserve it, enough said from me on that.

2) This is pretty interesting, it would make college football more competitive. At the same time I get it's about money but when your conference has been one of the top two the last two years why spread out into the other two that have had big questions about them?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.) Coming after this many years, the NCAAs decision seems harsh. Im not a USC fan, so anyone correct me if Im wrong, but...arent most the coaches gone? And the last of the 2004 players should have used up their remaining elegibility last season.

Seems like this is going to hurt alot of kids who had nothing to do with the 2004 season because they were in middle school at the time.

I know you have to set an example and uphold rules, but the NCAA missed the mark by taking so long to rule on it.

2.) I find the dissolution (or at least radical change) of the Big 12 mostly amusing. TV contracts are incredibly lucrative. Long as UT, A&M and OU end up together (and they probably will) doesnt change much about how I watch/enjoy college football.

My buddy who attends U of H will now actually have a not laughable point when he asserts they could compete in the Big 12. Assuming there still is one in some form. :p

For other pratical matters...kinda narrows the field down to two conferences that will compete to see who loses to the SEC in the title game. :D

1.) Coming after this many years, the NCAAs decision seems harsh. Im not a USC fan, so anyone correct me if Im wrong, but...arent most the coaches gone? And the last of the 2004 players should have used up their remaining elegibility last season.

Seems like this is going to hurt alot of kids who had nothing to do with the 2004 season because they were in middle school at the time.

I know you have to set an example and uphold rules, but the NCAA missed the mark by taking so long to rule on it.

2.) I find the dissolution (or at least radical change) of the Big 12 mostly amusing. TV contracts are incredibly lucrative. Long as UT, A&M and OU end up together (and they probably will) doesnt change much about how I watch/enjoy college football.

My buddy who attends U of H will now actually have a not laughable point when he asserts they could compete in the Big 12. Assuming there still is one in some form. :p

For other pratical matters...kinda narrows the field down to two conferences that will compete to see who loses to the SEC in the title game. :D

From what I hear if Neb leaves the Big 12 is done.

About USC most things like that affect people who didn't have anything to do with it. It's not a punishment on the players or the coaches, it's more for the schools for not being tougher on their programs.

I remember when Florida was on probation it happened right before the Ole Ball Coach came and he spent his first year or two on probation for something he had nothing to do with

What will happen to the Big 12 North schools when this goes down? They are pretty rowed. Mizzou may miss out on an invite to the Big 10, if they only add Nebraska.

No Nebraska and Mizzou are the two big names they want from Big 12. Nebraska was the biggest key to all of this, if they went they all leave. So everyone waited for Nebraska and when it came out that they are pretty much gone Colorado accepted to the Pac 10.

Wants Nebraska accepts it will probably be about within a week till Mizzou follows Nebraska. Then you will see all hell break loose. Texas, A&M, OU, OSU will all leave for the pac 10. Kanas will be accepted by either SEC or ACC (basketball history) KSU is pretty screwed along with Baylor. then the Big East will get raided by the likes of Big 10, ACC, SEC

Big 10 pretty much wants Mizzou (good baseball and basketball, with football starting to improve), Nebraska and Notre Dame (obvious). Then from there probably Syracuse and Rugters (Syracuse makes sense with basketball). Last team they are looking at is the Bearcats

All in all this will be very interesting to see. ACC, Big East, and ACC have all been quiet. Big East can't take another hit, West Virg., USF, Rugters, and Bearcats are their big guns. Losing them there just aren't enough teams on the East coast to help rebuild what already has been a questionable conf.

SEC is the one that interest me the most though. There has been talks about FSU, Miami, GT. and Clemson. So like I said the next year could get interesting. We could be at a three conf. NCAA and a playoff would pretty much be right behind it (IMO). With some many schools in just three conf. determining who get which BCS game would be someone difficult since a lot of people would be knocking each other off.

About USC most things like that affect people who didn't have anything to do with it. It's not a punishment on the players or the coaches, it's more for the schools for not being tougher on their programs.

I remember when Florida was on probation it happened right before the Ole Ball Coach came and he spent his first year or two on probation for something he had nothing to do with

Yeah, Im like 99% sure the Big 12 is soon to be done. There is always an outside possibility the remaining teams decide to pick up the pieces and continue forward with a lesser conference by adding on.

But probably not.

I understand you are punishing the school and the program or whatever, but like I said...missed the mark on the timing. Its not fair to the current kids. The loss of the scholorships and the voiding of the 2004 season would have been enough IMO. I would have preferred to see the bowl eligibility remain so those kids could get their payoff game for the end of the season. Even if USC (the school) does benifit from playing that extra game, NCAA should suck it up and do whats right by the student athletes they pretend to serve.

Heck it might be.

I thought I read somewhere at some point it just became the equal of a nongame in this situation.

But you could certainly be right.

2005 NCAA rules: ARTICLE 2. The score of a forfeited game, or a suspended game that later

results in a forfeiture, shall be: Offended Team-1, Opponent-0. If the

offended team is ahead at the time of forfeit, the score stands (Rules 3-3-3-

a and b, and Rules 9-2-3-a and b).

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_score_of_a_forfeited_football_game

I just thought of something...... Kiffin was a coach at the time (Running Back I believe) so I guess this is the NCAA saying haha lol

Grunt, I doubt the big 12 would just pick up one team to replace Nebraska, they were one of the founders and the Big 12 was made to bring the rivals together (OSU, OU, NU, UT, TAM). Also the Big 12 is one of the younger conf. so there isn't much allegiance to the conf. (also how do you replace the history Nebraska has with a team like Bosie or TCU)

It sucks to see it but Pac-16 is trying to get two automatic bids to the BCS bowl game so they don't have to have a conf. title game. They want this so they can maybe have it a Pac vs Pac NC game. Also Pac 16 will probably now hold the TV market by force with a lot of top 20 TV markets being in the Pac 16 (and yes many believe them to be changing their names once UT, OU, OSU, Texas Tech, TAM join up)

Once again the big question is what about Baylor and Kanas. Sure both teams aren't gun runners in football, but the provide great additions in basketball. (well Kanas at the least)

Also a lot of talk about the 04 NC going bye bye. Now USC blew out OU, but there were the Tigers who were also undefeated. So then is USC is stripped who gets the title? does it not be awarded? do Auburn and OU split it?

No Nebraska and Mizzou are the two big names they want from Big 12. Nebraska was the biggest key to all of this, if they went they all leave. So everyone waited for Nebraska and when it came out that they are pretty much gone Colorado accepted to the Pac 10.

Wants Nebraska accepts it will probably be about within a week till Mizzou follows Nebraska. Then you will see all hell break loose. Texas, A&M, OU, OSU will all leave for the pac 10. Kanas will be accepted by either SEC or ACC (basketball history) KSU is pretty screwed along with Baylor. then the Big East will get raided by the likes of Big 10, ACC, SEC

Big 10 pretty much wants Mizzou (good baseball and basketball, with football starting to improve), Nebraska and Notre Dame (obvious). Then from there probably Syracuse and Rugters (Syracuse makes sense with basketball). Last team they are looking at is the Bearcats

All in all this will be very interesting to see. ACC, Big East, and ACC have all been quiet. Big East can't take another hit, West Virg., USF, Rugters, and Bearcats are their big guns. Losing them there just aren't enough teams on the East coast to help rebuild what already has been a questionable conf.

SEC is the one that interest me the most though. There has been talks about FSU, Miami, GT. and Clemson. So like I said the next year could get interesting. We could be at a three conf. NCAA and a playoff would pretty much be right behind it (IMO). With some many schools in just three conf. determining who get which BCS game would be someone difficult since a lot of people would be knocking each other off.

I read that Mizzou may miss out on an invite, because they might want to keep it to 12 teams for now.

"Anything could happen, but we’re working hard to stay together," said Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton, who added that he had called Texas president William Powers to discuss the conference's future.

[board of Curators chairwoman Judy] Haggard suggested that Missouri’s fate remains unclear.

"It's too soon to say," she said before the closed meeting. "We're going to be getting a lot of information these next two days."

If ND rejects the Big 10, which is likely, Mizzou may be on the outside looking in.

I read that Mizzou may miss out on an invite, because they might want to keep it to 12 teams for now.

If ND rejects the Big 10, which is likely, Mizzou may be on the outside looking in.

eh, it's hard to say. I have read different reports from different places, so I guess we will just wait and see.

What do you think about Kanas? One of the big conf. will want them because of their basketball history

ND is another big question. Joining a conf. would really not benefit them at all. They would keep their rivials no matter what, also they can make their own schedule. Third they would lose money and are guaranteed a BCS bowl berth if they place like 16th or higher in the BCS standing. Plus they don't have to split any BCS or TV money with other schools.

eh, it's hard to say. I have read different reports from different places, so I guess we will just wait and see.

What do you think about Kanas? One of the big conf. will want them because of their basketball history

ND is another big question. Joining a conf. would really not benefit them at all. They would keep their rivials no matter what, also they can make their own schedule. Third they would lose money and are guaranteed a BCS bowl berth if they place like 16th or higher in the BCS standing. Plus they don't have to split any BCS or TV money with other schools.

I'm not too well versed in NCAA sports. Kansas are a big basketball program, so maybe they will join the Big 10(Basketball only) or Big East? K-State are pretty big basketball program too aren't they?

Who is happier about the sanctions, Tennessee fans or UCLA fans?

And I like fewer conferences that are stronger, makes it more competitive.

I think K-State are a good basketball program.

Tennessee, they got rid of trash and got two talented recruiting classes and a talented replacement coach.

UCLA still needs a lot of talent to challenge USC. This will tarnish Lane Kiffin though. I understand that people will say this will just feed the ego of Kiffin, but with this plus the recruiting incidents in the SEC and bashing other coaches, as well as the just leaving Tennessee Kiffin isn't doing to much to help his imagne.

I still don't believe the MWC is talented enough to give them that bid, though it might happen due to the Big 12 breaking up. The are top Heavy but everyone else in the conf is pretty weak. I truly hope all the conf shifting will lead to a playoff (16 teams)

Archived