The Official College Sports Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When does the college football season begin?

Man was I pissed off when last season my service provider, ESPN, the only one showing college football here in Finland, was totally out of action for the last two weeks of regular season. I watched through the season and then I was denied from watching the last matches leading to bowl games. I kinda lost my interest as I was kind of lost with the bowl games as I missed the peak of build up. What would've happened if ESPN was out of action in USA for about three weeks? I would believe such an incident would be totally impossible to happen. Neither did I get any response to my questions to their customer support. As it was in Finland it didn't matter, but for us few american football fans in here...

Aren't most conferences top heavy right now? (Before re-alignment)

SEC and Big 12 had very talented teams in the middle and lower levels and everyone in the ACC contended last year (for their conf.). Pac 10 and Big 10 have very bad bottom teams as did Big East.

But "very talented" is not elite. ACC is really the only one, but that's because they're all mediocre.

Good point about ACC, but I said I didn't think the whole conf. was talented enough to have the bid (once again not saying they wont get it). SEC and Big 12 are top heavy, but their lower level teams are very talented as well.

People have said it before, the reason an SEC team reps one of the National title game teams is because their schedule they go through for their conf. is brutal. Bosie States faced two top 25 teams last year (first game and last game) besides that they really didn't have big time programs playing against them. TCU had three and lost one of them.

To me it's just a lot different from having a top heavy conf. with one to three talented teams, to having a conf with one to three top teams and every other team still being good enough to pull an upset at any given time.

In response to the stuff about USC's punishment being unfair because the offending coaches and players are gone...programs are responsible for the actions of everybody associated with the program. USC is responsible for what Reggie Bush and OJ Mayo did while they were there. It's their job to make sure players and coaches aren't breaking the rules, and they didn't do that. It's called a lack of institutional control, and that's what often draws the harshest punishments from the NCAA. It's happened many times before (Alabama being the most recent high profile case - they almost got the death penalty).

Edit: also, somebody brought up the Mountain West adding Boise State, and yes that makes them a virtual lock for an automatic BCS bid starting in 2012. It's a complicated formula, but assuming their top teams (Utah, TCU, BYU) continue to perform like they have recently, they will get that bid.

Good point about ACC, but I said I didn't think the whole conf. was talented enough to have the bid (once again not saying they wont get it). SEC and Big 12 are top heavy, but their lower level teams are very talented as well.

People have said it before, the reason an SEC team reps one of the National title game teams is because their schedule they go through for their conf. is brutal. Bosie States faced two top 25 teams last year (first game and last game) besides that they really didn't have big time programs playing against them. TCU had three and lost one of them.

To me it's just a lot different from having a top heavy conf. with one to three talented teams, to having a conf with one to three top teams and every other team still being good enough to pull an upset at any given time.

Problem is, most of the "big" schools don't want to play against Boise State, Utah, or TCU in the regular season.

You think that Oregon will play Boise State again once their contract expires? Of course not! OU gets nothing from winning against them. Besides, as much of a sham as the BCS Conferences are, I'm glad they'll get consolidated. They don't want to play the Boises, TCUs, and Utahs? Fine, play each other.

ESPN just reported that Texas AM wants to join the SEC. Now this could get really interesting seeing how UT, Tech, OSU, and OU want to stay together. Now those schools will met soon to talk about which conf they go to.

Seems they are only saying this for looks. They'll be going wherever Texas goes, they just don't want to look like they are following the Longhorns around like puppy dog.

Within a few years, I expect to see 4 Super Conferences of 16 apiece (SEC, Big 10/16, Pac 10/16, and I guess the Big East will likely grab whatever's left or join up somehow with the ACC). THAT will be interesting.

Within a few years, I expect to see 4 Super Conferences of 16 apiece (SEC, Big 10/16, Pac 10/16, and I guess the Big East will likely grab whatever's left or join up somehow with the ACC). THAT will be interesting.

SEC would like to add Texas and OU but many think they have already made up their mind.

Odd thing is Kanas is looking like they are going to the MWC. SEC doesn't want them and neither do a lot of other conf. It doesn't make sense to me because their Basketball program is an upgrade for any division and their football team just hired a talented coach and is on the up and up. Mizzou also is getting screwed because Big 10 is waiting to add anyone else until they hear from ND.

I can't remember exactly when, but I do remember my dad mentioning that back in the early 90s both were given an offer to join the Pac-10.

LOL wow, that's a while ago. I couldn't see that happening now. Money wise it would be a stupid choice for any MWC not to join the Pac-10. BYU, Bosie, TCU, and Utah would be smart to join.

But it is odd to see Bosie join then hear it might not last for long. Someone on ESPNU today was talking about if AM and Texas were to go to the SEC Tech, OU, and OSU might follow or one of them or a current SEC team would be gone. They said if the SEC made this powerplay then the MWC's top teams (the four mentioned above) would be invited to the Pac-10

Actually BYU and Utah, at least, have a good stake in the MWC since essentially they are part owners and co-founders of the conference. Also, what are you talking about? Mountain West schools get really good income thanks to the smaller travel lengths and great turnouts even for teams like Wyoming (We even sold out after we almost lost to FURMAN!).

Actually BYU and Utah, at least, have a good stake in the MWC since essentially they are part owners and co-founders of the conference. Also, what are you talking about? Mountain West schools get really good income thanks to the smaller travel lengths and great turnouts even for teams like Wyoming (We even sold out after we almost lost to FURMAN!).

The Pac 10 last year gave out 8 to 11 million dollars to each school for tv deals and stuff like that, I don't believe MWC would even come close to that. Utah, Bosie, TCU, and BYU wouldn't be to far to keep their travel cost down. Money wise it is their smartest move, they would be in bigger TV markets which would benefit them. They wouldn't be playing in Wyoming anymore which has a low TV market and does help them (besides a win). Also, good stake doesn't mean anything anymore, look at Boston College of the Big East, Nebraska of the Big 12. Now a days with budget cuts and all of that it's all about money. Miami was set in the Big East and they moved to a bigger and tougher conf.

The Pac 10 last year gave out 8 to 11 million dollars to each school for tv deals and stuff like that, I don't believe MWC would even come close to that. Utah, Bosie, TCU, and BYU wouldn't be to far to keep their travel cost down. Money wise it is their smartest move, they would be in bigger TV markets which would benefit them. They wouldn't be playing in Wyoming anymore which has a low TV market and does help them (besides a win). Also, good stake doesn't mean anything anymore, look at Boston College of the Big East, Nebraska of the Big 12. Now a days with budget cuts and all of that it's all about money. Miami was set in the Big East and they moved to a bigger and tougher conf.

Honestly I really don't know how to explain just how stubborn and set in their ways the Mountain West schools are, yes the Pac-10 would be a good move for them but I think Utah, Boise, BYU and TCU really believe the MWC will be a power conference soon.

Besides it's tradition to kick the crap out of Wyoming every year. :p

Honestly I really don't know how to explain just how stubborn and set in their ways the Mountain West schools are, yes the Pac-10 would be a good move for them but I think Utah, Boise, BYU and TCU really believe the MWC will be a power conference soon.

Besides it's tradition to kick the crap out of Wyoming every year. :p

If they believe that then you are probably right, it would just be hard (to me) for them who want to be contenders for the BCS title not to join. With the money that would add to it in a time like this just makes it hard for me to see them not to, I hope for you they don't leave. The only way we will only be able to know is when all is said and done.

EDIT:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5286816

Seems like we will hear more soon

Archived