The Official College Sports Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

1.) If I was Florida I wouldn't want Petrino. Like it or not Florida is known for iconic coaches that are there through good times and bad. Spurrier, Meyer, etc. Petrino's track record is that he's not going to stick around any place for long and has no loyalty to any program NFL, College or most likely even Pop Warner. So nevermind if Bobby would come to Florida they need someone that wants to be at Florida, not someone who wants a higher profile job with more money.

2.) Mullen is still familiar with the program and I would assume would still know the starters on this team very wells since he just left two years ago. I know he's garnered the support of the Florida fans but I'm just not sure they want to put a championship program in the hands of a guy thats highest profile job was Mississippi State. The biggest concern there is how ready is he to lead a championship football program at this level?

3. If the money is there Bob might consider it but why? Florida is in no better position to win right now than Oklahoma is. I can't imagine Florida being able to offer anything that OU wouldn't be able to match. He's got his guys in place, he has full control over the organization and he just won the Big 12 Championship. It would be a lot of work what we're talking four years before he saw his guys in place on the football field? Does he run the same offense Urb does? How hard would it be for the kids to adjust to a new guy? Bob and Florida are in a "win now" mode and I'm not sure if its a fit.

4.) Kyle would be a good choice. He knows the offense, I would assume he knows the president of U F. He's done an amazing job at Utah and I think he's proven himself over time to be capable of taking his game to the next level. In fact I would choose Kyle for the job over Mullen just because he's been a head coach, he's competed at a high level as a head coach he knows the personnel and his offense would match up well with what Urb has in place.

5.) Look what Steve's down with South freaking Carolina I think that speaks to his cred as a head coach. I don't know what the circumstances are that surrounded Steve leaving and how he's looked upon as a current head coach in the eyes of most Florida fans but the guy has won with the program, and he's taken a much much lesser program and led them to a championship game that they otherwise wouldn't have had a sniff at. I'm not saying he's the guy for the job but I'm saying resume wise not many are better.

Mullen may not have that much exp. as a head coach as willingham, but he does have 2 years in the SEC which is what they will like to see. The reason we don't want Steve is because Steve is in his 60's and he is happy in South Carolina. He will always be loved for what he did in Florida, but I think they will want a young coach who will grow with the team and not leave in 5 years to retire.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't be Stoops. I think he'll ride it out in OU where all you have to do in that weak conference is beat Texas and keep from getting upset by the likes of Baylor and you're in the BCS every year. OU and Florida are a wash money-wise, I think. He'll flirt with Florida for a raise but I just don't see him leaving his cushy job to rebuild Florida. Mullen should be able to recruit Florida and the gator fan base seem to want him, so I would be suprised if he doesn't return home.

As far as Petrino goes, I'm not as worried about it now that the Florida fanbase seems to be tying themselves in knots over Mullen. I'd much rather have Petrino if I was a Gator fan, but I understand that emotional ties to coaches weight much heavier in the minds of some people. I think the idea that Petrino would leave Florida if he ended up as coach there is silly though. Where would he go from there? He'll never go back to the NFL, so what college would he leave Florida for? I suspect if he ended up at Florida he'd be there for as long as they'd have him. And the suggestion that he would accept an offer to coach at Florida for less than he's making now is silly, given that the contract extension he has on the table with Arkansas will pay him what Urban Meyer is getting now. They'd probably have to make him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid coach in football to get him.

In the end, I think Florida takes Mullen, Mississippi State ends up with Gus Malzahn, and Petrino stay with the Hogs and gets his giant payday.

Florida isn't the end all be all of coaching spots. As you said the gig is easier in Texas and OU. What if Texas or OU came calling offering him more money in a few years than what he was making at Florida. What about USC when the Lane Kiffen experiment ends? High profile job, just as if not more money etc.

So its not like Petrino couldn't make a latteral move even if he can't make a higher move. Not too mention you know deep down the guy has no ties or no loyalty and has no problems leaving your program in a lurch. Now this may be true of much college head coaches but I'd say slightly more so with Petrino.

As I said if it was me making the decision it would be Willingham. He's proven he can win with the likes of Utah so imagine what he could do with the resources Florida gives him. I like Mullen but he's never been a big time head coach. I know he knows the system and the team but there is so much more to being a head coach. If it was Mullen I would make sure he's surrounded by guys with lots of experience.

Florida isn't the end all be all of coaching spots. As you said the gig is easier in Texas and OU. What if Texas or OU came calling offering him more money in a few years than what he was making at Florida. What about USC when the Lane Kiffen experiment ends? High profile job, just as if not more money etc.

So its not like Petrino couldn't make a latteral move even if he can't make a higher move. Not too mention you know deep down the guy has no ties or no loyalty and has no problems leaving your program in a lurch. Now this may be true of much college head coaches but I'd say slightly more so with Petrino.

As I said if it was me making the decision it would be Willingham. He's proven he can win with the likes of Utah so imagine what he could do with the resources Florida gives him. I like Mullen but he's never been a big time head coach. I know he knows the system and the team but there is so much more to being a head coach. If it was Mullen I would make sure he's surrounded by guys with lots of experience.

I don't think that's an issue with Petrino. He came back to coaching specifically wanting in the SEC. He passed on Michigan for Arkansas, and Michigan has a much easier route to a title game than we do.

If Petrino thought leaving Arkansas was in his best interest he certainly would, I'll grant you that. But that's true for every college coach in the sport. There isn't anything stopping him from making a lateral move, but it's silly to think he's just some kind of nomad that can't stay in one place for long. There are only a handful of jobs out there that scare me, Florida, Texas, maybe OU, and a handful of others. I'm not even worried about Southern Cal at this point, given the rehab job they're going to have to go through. Especially when Kiffin chokes. And the more successful he is here, then less likely I think he is to leave.

Utah's coach is fine, but he took a program someone else built up and just continued to flatten his weak conference every year. I get the knocks on Mullen's experience, but having two productive years in the SEC at Miss St. is more impressive to me than taking over an already successful program and blasting the community colleges Utah plays week in and week out.

It won't be Stoops. I think he'll ride it out in OU where all you have to do in that weak conference is beat Texas and keep from getting upset by the likes of Baylor and you're in the BCS every year. OU and Florida are a wash money-wise, I think. He'll flirt with Florida for a raise but I just don't see him leaving his cushy job to rebuild Florida. Mullen should be able to recruit Florida and the gator fan base seem to want him, so I would be suprised if he doesn't return home.

As far as Petrino goes, I'm not as worried about it now that the Florida fanbase seems to be tying themselves in knots over Mullen. I'd much rather have Petrino if I was a Gator fan, but I understand that emotional ties to coaches weight much heavier in the minds of some people. I think the idea that Petrino would leave Florida if he ended up as coach there is silly though. Where would he go from there? He'll never go back to the NFL, so what college would he leave Florida for? I suspect if he ended up at Florida he'd be there for as long as they'd have him. And the suggestion that he would accept an offer to coach at Florida for less than he's making now is silly, given that the contract extension he has on the table with Arkansas will pay him what Urban Meyer is getting now. They'd probably have to make him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid coach in football to get him.

In the end, I think Florida takes Mullen, Mississippi State ends up with Gus Malzahn, and Petrino stay with the Hogs and gets his giant payday.

lmao, no offense if he was about to get Urban Meyer money then you can keep him. People like Meyer, Sabin, Mack Brown and Stoops make what they do because they win titles. I have nothing against Bobby but not for that money. Also I didn't say pay him less, I am just saying if Florida offered him 50k more then what Ark is he'd probably accept.

Also Mich. would have had a tougher time then Ark. and he saw that. Ark is in better recruiting grounds and they Mich was losing half of it's team.

lmao, no offense if he was about to get Urban Meyer money then you can keep him. People like Meyer, Sabin, Mack Brown and Stoops make what they do because they win titles. I have nothing against Bobby but not for that money. Also I didn't say pay him less, I am just saying if Florida offered him 50k more then what Ark is he'd probably accept.

Also Mich. would have had a tougher time then Ark. and he saw that. Ark is in better recruiting grounds and they Mich was losing half of it's team.

Fair, he probably won't make quite that much at Arkansas next year. Urban made something like 4 mil this year, and not counting the contract extension on the table now his bonuses would have brought Petrino's total up to something like 3.2 this past year. The rumors are that he's looking at about a 1 million per year increase, but even if it's half that much that would have him pretty close to what Urban made. He'll almost surely jump Richt, Grobe, and Ferentz (and probably Mullen if that's who Florida hires) and wind up being something like the 5th highest paid coach in College. But, if Florida wanted him that badly they can obviously afford that much since they've got one of the highest paid coaches already. :)

Muschamp, hm this will be interesting. I don't disagree with it, but Mullen was my main choice. I think Muschamp will do well, he knows the league and grea up in gainesville.

Also Tag, congrats on the Bobby resign, I think you guys are overpaying no offense. I think Bobby is a nice coach but a 3 million dollar coach (IMHO) is a coach who is going to win you a NC and Bobby to me just isn't that.

Muschamp, hm this will be interesting. I don't disagree with it, but Mullen was my main choice. I think Muschamp will do well, he knows the league and grea up in gainesville.

Also Tag, congrats on the Bobby resign, I think you guys are overpaying no offense. I think Bobby is a nice coach but a 3 million dollar coach (IMHO) is a coach who is going to win you a NC and Bobby to me just isn't that.

Muschamp is a former Auburn D-Coordinator so he has coached in the SEC before Mullen wasn't going to leave Mississippi State because he is trying to build a good program, Reif is pretty decent QB and the Miss St. defense has been pretty solid so I do expect Bulldog fans to be pretty happy when Bowl Season ends.

Muschamp is a former Auburn D-Coordinator so he has coached in the SEC before Mullen wasn't going to leave Mississippi State because he is trying to build a good program, Reif is pretty decent QB and the Miss St. defense has been pretty solid so I do expect Bulldog fans to be pretty happy when Bowl Season ends.

hm, I didn't say he didn't coach in the league before. Also Muschamp was the only coached interviewed sources say. Mullen wont stay at Mississippi State. With the likes of Auburn, LSU, Bama, Florida, and other teams killing each other in the SEC for top players he will have trouble. If he doesn't take the Miami job or another job I expect him to be a top cand. next year.

He went to Penn State and was Virginia's defensive coordinator before taking over.

It's hard to put into words just how putrid the Temple team he took over was. It was unwatchable, hopeless football. I vividly remember witnessing Bowling Green put up 70 on them in back to back years, the last being the year before Al Golden appeared. Ironically Al Golden's first victory as a head coach was a win over Bowling Green in front of 1,500 strong.

When he took over Temple they had already been kicked out of the Big East due to suckitude and there were rumblings that they would be dropping out of the FBS altogether. When he took over Temple had had 3 wins total the previous three years. He's slowly built up the program since his first year in 2006, he found a new conference, the MAC, and then last year lead Temple to 9-wins and their first bowl game in 30 years. They went 8-4 this year and even though they beat BCS Bowlers UCONN, they didn't get a bowl bid.

He's been on the shortlist for just about every new job since even before Temple got good. I want him to be our Joe Pa...but sadly he'll probably just end up replacing the real one :(

He said he was going to build Temple's program and that he wouldn't leave until he had done so. 17 wins in 2 years and zero berths in the MAC title game is not building a program. It's building stepping stones.

I don't want to see anymore 77-3 losses. I don't want to see another winless season.

Then again all college coaches lie to their recruits and fanbases on a regular basis so I shouldn't expect any more from Al Golden.

Enjoy Miami Al. :(

I wonder what the story with Mullen is; I can't help but think he turned it down. Muschamp seems like it could be a ok hire, but I don't believe for a second he was Florida's first choice. Honestly, I think the fact that Urban wants to stick around the program kept a lot of the established head coaches from being interested.

I'm really excited about Petrino. I think after this he's going to be here for quite a while, and I think he's worth every penny. Hell, we went from SEC basement to our first BCS bowl in 3 years. I think the sky's the limit Coach Petrino.

Malzahn taking the Vandy job blows my mind too.

I wonder what the story with Mullen is; I can't help but think he turned it down. Muschamp seems like it could be a ok hire, but I don't believe for a second he was Florida's first choice. Honestly, I think the fact that Urban wants to stick around the program kept a lot of the established head coaches from being interested.

I'm really excited about Petrino. I think after this he's going to be here for quite a while, and I think he's worth every penny. Hell, we went from SEC basement to our first BCS bowl in 3 years. I think the sky's the limit Coach Petrino.

Malzahn taking the Vandy job blows my mind too.

Ark wasn't that bad. They produce talent out of there you are just in the SEC West which no division is that rough, not even the SEC East.

The only news I have heard is that Muschamp was the only coach interviewed for the job. No talks were even started with anyone else and only feelers were sent out. What made Muschamp the main guy was his ties to the SEC and Saban, he comes from a coaching pedigre that has spawned great coaches and him and Mullen were the only two even considered for the position.

Al Golden took the job. **** him. Hope he is a complete failure.

Sorry man, all you can do is wish him the best of luck. Temple is a stepping stone (no offense) he made them look good and took a job that will be better for his career. Would staying at Temple and building it into something been great..... ya, but by going to Miami he has better resources.

The only news I have heard is that Muschamp was the only coach interviewed for the job. No talks were even started with anyone else and only feelers were sent out. What made Muschamp the main guy was his ties to the SEC and Saban, he comes from a coaching pedigre that has spawned great coaches and him and Mullen were the only two even considered for the position.

That's probably the case regarding the interviews, but I suspect some of the established coaches out there shied away from having Urban as a backseat driver. Muschamp has a lot of potential and could be a great hire, but I doubt they passed up on a bunch of established coaches like Wittingham, Peterson, Stoops and Petrino to hire an assistant. I wonder how Texas fans feel about it since he was at one time the "head coach in waiting" there.

I think he'll probably be a good hire for Florida. If the rumors are to be believed, a few years ago when Petrino went through Jerry Jones to let our AD he was interested in the Arkansas job we were right on the verge of hiring Muschamp as our head coach.I'll be interested to see what he has in mind offensively and whether he keeps alot of Urban's guys around. I suspect he will.

I'm just hurt right now. You don't know what it's like to watch a team lose 77-3 at home to a team that is mediocre even by low level non-AQ conference standards.

Sigh...at least the Eagles won.

I hear you, man. But look at it this way; your program is in better shape than it was before he left. That's going to make it that much easier for your program to get a good coach going forward. Boise State and TCU were in this position before and look where they are now. :)

Being an Auburn fan, I'm glad to hear now that Malzahn will most likely turn down the Vandy job. We probably won't keep him around much longer, but he could do WAY BETTER than that.

Also, the Al Golden move was surprising. I thought he'd say at Temple for a while...they had something starting up, I thought...

And I totally didn't see Muschamp going to Florida coming. I thought Mullen would be a LOCK for that job, and possibly even getting the guy from Utah (Wittingham, I think?).

So I bring this up: What's next for the assistants at Texas? Who will be the next coordinators, and will Mack Brown find another successor?

Being an Auburn fan, I'm glad to hear now that Malzahn will most likely turn down the Vandy job. We probably won't keep him around much longer, but he could do WAY BETTER than that.

Also, the Al Golden move was surprising. I thought he'd say at Temple for a while...they had something starting up, I thought...

And I totally didn't see Muschamp going to Florida coming. I thought Mullen would be a LOCK for that job, and possibly even getting the guy from Utah (Wittingham, I think?).

So I bring this up: What's next for the assistants at Texas? Who will be the next coordinators, and will Mack Brown find another successor?

Yea, that Vandy job is a dead end. I was suprised Malzahn didn't end up at Colorado.

Hopefully Texas won't raid AU again and get the OC this time, like they did Muschamp. :)

Although Texas would be a good fit for Malzahn and they could pay his salary easy. I would like to see him do better than Vandy, but it would be interesting to see what he could do there as well.

War Eagle!

Archived