The Official College Sports Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

So I was just thinking..... Texas are kind of like bullies of the Big 12. Everything hung on their desicion of what was going to happen. Nebraska got fed up and they left, Colorado the same, and AM was going to head to the SEC. Texas will now make about 20 to 25 million EXTRA a year now from this new deal. Someone pointed out something else interesting to me this moring. Texas is closer to all the SEC schools then it would have been to the Pac 10 schools, but with USC being hit hard Texas would have had the chance to be top dog in the conf. as well. In the SEC they would have been just another Florida, Bama, Tenn, and LSU.

About two years ago (or when the Big 10 made their network) Big 12 was looking at it as well, but couldn't because Texas wanted their own network. Then Pac 10 came out and agree to allow UT to have their station along with a Pac 10 station. Which then led the Big 12 commish to agree to it and it became more beneficial for Texas to stay because with the Big 12 network only being split between 10 teams (instead of the 16 it would have been with the Pac 10) they now get more money.

I just don't understand why OU stayed quiet throughout this all. Is just as good of a program as Texas and have just as much history, but everything came down to Texas and what Texas wanted.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to follow the money. In other news, there are plans to re-name the Big XII to the Mack Brown & Bob Stoops conference brought to you by 8 other teams.

To bad I like that name. Word is BYU and Air Force/TCU might be on Big 12's radar (now of course this is only if Texas is okay with reworking they Big 12 tv deal from 10 teams to 12 teams) and Utah or Bosie for Pac 10.

Well, at least we get to keep Boise for few years.

Yeah, but for how long is the question now?

It's a pity. I really like the MWC for some reason. I wanna see them get the automatic bid.

Yeah the bid was already going to be difficult to get (like I said the top four are worthy but the talent behind isn't there) I did think that with Bosie moving over though they would get the non BCS conf bid and it would just become the MWC bid.

It will be interesting to see what happens from here. BYU, TCU, Boise and even Air Force at times have shown the ability to hang with the so called bigger guys. TCU would be a perfect fit in the Big 12 (seeing as how most of the teams in it are from Texas or Okl.) Boise fits in the Pac ten (close to Oregon and Washington) with BYU going to either or. They could be the conf. that gets raided next.

But man think about how this has to suck for the Pac 10 in the long run. OU, UT would have joined forces with USC giving you three for sure contenders pretty much. UCLA and Cal are rebuilding as are Oregon and Washington.

Now with USC being banned for two years Pac 10 is at a cross-roads for two years. Even when the class of competition was low in the Pac 10 everyone knew USC could still compete with other teams. Now you don't really have that. Oregon didn't beat it's two big non-conf teams (OSU and Boise) the rest of the divison still needs to rebuild.

Also, what is going through the mind of the MWC and Boise

1) For the MWC Utah was the one who brought up the playoffs and started all that talk, now they will probably jump just to be contenders. TCU joined not to long ago and like Swanton said these teams were really determined to make MWC something. Now Utah one of the biggest supports of MWC will probably bolt (again money also plays a factor I know)

2) Boise just left a conf to join this one in hopes of getting a bid. Now they lost a member.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5298238

Sorry Swanton, if it helps I tried to warn you lol. Pac-12 has a nice ring though.....

Lol the odd thing is....

The Big 10 is really a Big 12

The Pac 10 is now a Pac 12

and the Big 12 is now really a Big 10

Now that the MWC has lost a member I could see Big 12 maybe.... maybe going after the likes of TCU, BYU, Air Force, Bosie State (later two being less likely) or a long shot Houston, to fill the final two spots, that is if Texas is okay reworking the new TV deal and if the rest of the conf want to add two more teams to keep their Championship title game. Also I have heard that if the Big 12 does pick up two more teams they would likely put OU into the North Divison so they could have to OU vs UT showdowns a year.

Couple of articles from ESPN that made me laugh

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5291319

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=5277787

Actually BYU and Utah, at least, have a good stake in the MWC since essentially they are part owners and co-founders of the conference. Also, what are you talking about? Mountain West schools get really good income thanks to the smaller travel lengths and great turnouts even for teams like Wyoming (We even sold out after we almost lost to FURMAN!).

"Really good income" is nothing when your neighbor is pulling down twice (or three times) that amount, with an outside chance of making even more.

So I was just thinking..... Texas are kind of like bullies of the Big 12. Everything hung on their desicion of what was going to happen. Nebraska got fed up and they left, Colorado the same, and AM was going to head to the SEC. Texas will now make about 20 to 25 million EXTRA a year now from this new deal. Someone pointed out something else interesting to me this moring. Texas is closer to all the SEC schools then it would have been to the Pac 10 schools, but with USC being hit hard Texas would have had the chance to be top dog in the conf. as well. In the SEC they would have been just another Florida, Bama, Tenn, and LSU.

About two years ago (or when the Big 10 made their network) Big 12 was looking at it as well, but couldn't because Texas wanted their own network. Then Pac 10 came out and agree to allow UT to have their station along with a Pac 10 station. Which then led the Big 12 commish to agree to it and it became more beneficial for Texas to stay because with the Big 12 network only being split between 10 teams (instead of the 16 it would have been with the Pac 10) they now get more money.

I just don't understand why OU stayed quiet throughout this all. Is just as good of a program as Texas and have just as much history, but everything came down to Texas and what Texas wanted.

No offense, but OU's fanbase isn't nearly as influential and spread through major markets as UT's. Texas had the option of starting their own network because they're HUGE all through places like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, as well as Austin. Name a single major media market in Oklahoma. It's a similar reason why the Yankees could start their own network and the Brewers can't. It's also one reason why the Big-12 was formed in the first place. Texas had the media markets so called most of the shots.

You have to follow the money.

Yep, that's what it's all about. It's also the only reason Jim Delany from the Big 10 has any interest in Big East teams. He wants in on the largest media market in the country. Otherwise, there's no way he'd be bothered even considering a Rutgers or, by gawd, Syracuse. You're talking about a guy representing a conference that is wooing Notre Dame and Texas (at one time) and OU. You move from those schools.....to SYRACUSE?

It's a pity. I really like the MWC for some reason. I wanna see them get the automatic bid.

Someone has to die for that to happen. What I mean is, who gives up their automatic bid so MWC gets one? No one's going to do that. Automatic bids are guaranteed money.

Now that the MWC has lost a member I could see Big 12 maybe.... maybe going after the likes of TCU, BYU, Air Force, Bosie State (later two being less likely) or a long shot Houston, to fill the final two spots, that is if Texas is okay reworking the new TV deal and if the rest of the conf want to add two more teams to keep their Championship title game. Also I have heard that if the Big 12 does pick up two more teams they would likely put OU into the North Divison so they could have to OU vs UT showdowns a year.

That wouldn't be necessary. Texas and OU's payouts wouldn't really be affected much due to the way the Big 12's revenue sharing plan works (read: it's not equally distributed. Texas and OU get much larger shares than everyone else). So the people who stand to be most affected is everyone that isn't Texas and Oklahoma.

Pat Forde's column was on point though. College basketball? Shut up while the grown folks are talkin'. :p

I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't over yet though.

"Really good income" is nothing when your neighbor is pulling down twice (or three times) that amount, with an outside chance of making even more.

No offense, but OU's fanbase isn't nearly as influential and spread through major markets as UT's. Texas had the option of starting their own network because they're HUGE all through places like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, as well as Austin. Name a single major media market in Oklahoma. It's a similar reason why the Yankees could start their own network and the Brewers can't. It's also one reason why the Big-12 was formed in the first place. Texas had the media markets so called most of the shots.

Yep, that's what it's all about. It's also the only reason Jim Delany from the Big 10 has any interest in Big East teams. He wants in on the largest media market in the country. Otherwise, there's no way he'd be bothered even considering a Rutgers or, by gawd, Syracuse. You're talking about a guy representing a conference that is wooing Notre Dame and Texas (at one time) and OU. You move from those schools.....to SYRACUSE?

Someone has to die for that to happen. What I mean is, who gives up their automatic bid so MWC gets one? No one's going to do that. Automatic bids are guaranteed money.

That wouldn't be necessary. Texas and OU's payouts wouldn't really be affected much due to the way the Big 12's revenue sharing plan works (read: it's not equally distributed. Texas and OU get much larger shares than everyone else). So the people who stand to be most affected is everyone that isn't Texas and Oklahoma.

Pat Forde's column was on point though. College basketball? Shut up while the grown folks are talkin'. :p

I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't over yet though.

1) I agree with that, it's why Nebraska left. They didn't have the Media Market that UT has. It caused tension between the two.

2) The deal would still have to be reworked and if they are taking money away they would take it away from everyone not just the other 8 teams the combine to make the OU/UT conf. (:p)

3) I agree I don't think this is over at all. With the Pac 10 trying to get 16 teams I could see the SEC trying to make the first mega conf. I also don't see MWC staying together for to long. TCU and Boise are untapped potential that would help any conf the join in the power rankings.

EDIT: Also Basketball's money is nice....... but it's not like football money

Yeah, that's why I said Texas and OU's payouts wouldn't be affected very much. If they go from 21 & 18 mil each to 18 & 15 to squeeze two more schools in, it's not going to be like the cut Missouri/Kansas/Kansas State/Iowa State/Baylor takes. Plus, they'd stand to make that money back (easily) just from the conference championship game (which is likely to feature the two of them anyway. One of them has to go to the North division, after all).

I can guarantee one thing though. Some schools aren't going anywhere. North Carolina and Duke, for example, will never leave their conference specifically because of basketball (they're basketball schools, after all).

But I notice no one is considering some dark horses that might come into play. If the SEC expands, they've got a ton of choices that make sense for all involved. Remembering that part of the allure of being in the SEC is the ability to recruit from SEC areas with the promise of SEC football (and being able to play in front of friends and family), some additions would make some sense. The SEC wants in on Texas and there are several schools that are still out there that aren't Big 12 but could still be good candidates. Most of the West division of Conference USA, for example (especially Rice which has an immense endowment, if I remember right).

Yeah, that's why I said Texas and OU's payouts wouldn't be affected very much. If they go from 21 & 18 mil each to 18 & 15 to squeeze two more schools in, it's not going to be like the cut Missouri/Kansas/Kansas State/Iowa State/Baylor takes. Plus, they'd stand to make that money back (easily) just from the conference championship game (which is likely to feature the two of them anyway. One of them has to go to the North division, after all).

I can guarantee one thing though. Some schools aren't going anywhere. North Carolina and Duke, for example, will never leave their conference specifically because of basketball (they're basketball schools, after all).

But I notice no one is considering some dark horses that might come into play. If the SEC expands, they've got a ton of choices that make sense for all involved. Remembering that part of the allure of being in the SEC is the ability to recruit from SEC areas with the promise of SEC football (and being able to play in front of friends and family), some additions would make some sense. The SEC wants in on Texas and there are several schools that are still out there that aren't Big 12 but could still be good candidates. Most of the West division of Conference USA, for example (especially Rice which has an immense endowment, if I remember right).

I know SEC wants Texas, but I just don't see Texas going there because of the bully effect. In the Big 12 and even the new Pac 10 they would have been top dog (in Pac 10 it would have been a battle with USC, but with USC ability to get into trouble once every decade put them in a nice area). In the SEC they wouldn't have been top dogs, they would have been in the same position as Florida, Bama, Tenn, LSU, UGA, and others.

I could see Duke and UNC coming to the SEC if it meant they come together. Let's face it SEC football is top notch and Duke and UNC could benefit from the football recruiting. There basketball and baseball (UNC has a very talented baseball team) would help the SEC..... Mainly basketball. Besides UF no SEC team has won a basketball NT since UK (In Fact I believe the SEC has 4 career NT and UF and UK own 2 each). So their programs could help a fading SEC basketball conf, (yes they have UK and UF is rebounding but that's about it for them).

Like I said, Football is strong for the SEC and even their Baseball is strong, but Basketball would help. GT would also be a nice addition, with GT once being a member. They have a good Basketball program and football is always up and down, but the natural rivialry with UGA.

The last team to make it 16 would be (a wild card here) memphis. They have a great basketball program, a solid baseball program, and their football has produced some nice stars. If they go for a big media market then Miami would be the natural choice. Football, baseball, and basketball that has improved steadily.

• 1 month later...

<p>So who is to blame for the recent trends in College Football </p><p> </p><p>

Agents, Players, Schools...... Dicuss.</p><p> </p><p>

Oh and if you pick Agents, since Agents have to abide to the NFL rules or loses the ability to represent players, should they also have to abide by the college rules or face penalty?</p>

• 4 months later...

I guess goodbye to Urban Meyer again...... this is starting to get Favre-esc

And some Good News though, I hope this means we can get the brain kid of Urban in Dan Mullen. Dan might really have been a big reason for Urban Meyer. Mullen was his QB coach and taught a 1st overall choice. At Florida he was the Offensive Coord. as well as the QB Coach until before Tebow's last season because he took the Missi. State job (Which was Tebow's worst season as a player) and since his departure the Gators and it's players have declined.

I think Urb wants to leave being kind of the Bellichek of College Football and if he has many more losing seasons and with Auburn and Alabama looking great it looks like he will.

Why is Urb leaving? Health issues?

Any shot we see him in Denver to coach Tebow?

I guess goodbye to Urban Meyer again...... this is starting to get Favre-esc

And some Good News though, I hope this means we can get the brain kid of Urban in Dan Mullen. Dan might really have been a big reason for Urban Meyer. Mullen was his QB coach and taught a 1st overall choice. At Florida he was the Offensive Coord. as well as the QB Coach until before Tebow's last season because he took the Missi. State job (Which was Tebow's worst season as a player) and since his departure the Gators and it's players have declined.

I've been trying to gauge Florida fans' reaction on this one. Do you want Mullen? Is he your first choice? I could see the attraction there but he's only had 2 years as an SEC head coach, with decent results. But it seems like he could slide in there without missing a beat.

I'm an Arkansas fan, and our fanbase is terrified that UF is going to come after Petrino. I've seen his name mentioned a little, but not nearly as much as Mullen. There seems to be more focus on names like Harbaugh and Peterson than Petrino too. I don't really see Petrino leaving Fayetteville at this point, but Florida is possibly the job most likely to tempt him away.

I've been trying to gauge Florida fans' reaction on this one. Do you want Mullen? Is he your first choice? I could see the attraction there but he's only had 2 years as an SEC head coach, with decent results. But it seems like he could slide in there without missing a beat.

I'm an Arkansas fan, and our fanbase is terrified that UF is going to come after Petrino. I've seen his name mentioned a little, but not nearly as much as Mullen. There seems to be more focus on names like Harbaugh and Peterson than Petrino too. I don't really see Petrino leaving Fayetteville at this point, but Florida is possibly the job most likely to tempt him away.

I think Harbaugh is going to Michigan if he leaves Stanford and stays in college..otherwise he'll have his pick of the NFL jobs available

Bob Stoopes will probably get a call; not sure if he wants to go

I think Arkansas should be scared that anyone willing to offer Petrino more money/a better deal will be coming after him since he's proven he's more than capable of leaving an organization in the middle of the night after the way he did ATL.

Seriously.

P.H you really think Stoopes will ever go anywhere else in coaching except OU unless he's fired?

The guy had a not so talented team this year and I know the Big 12 as a whole was down this year (cept for OSU they were much improved maybe an argument for Nebraska being better).

So anyway he took a team that lost to Missouri for the first time in ages and he somehow guided them to a Big 12 Championship they really had no business winning.

I see Stoopes as a Sooner fa fa fa life.....

P.H you really think Stoopes will ever go anywhere else in coaching except OU unless he's fired?

The guy had a not so talented team this year and I know the Big 12 as a whole was down this year (cept for OSU they were much improved maybe an argument for Nebraska being better).

So anyway he took a team that lost to Missouri for the first time in ages and he somehow guided them to a Big 12 Championship they really had no business winning.

I see Stoopes as a Sooner fa fa fa life.....

So do I but every time Florida has an opening they call him so I'm sure it'll happen again.

I actually agree with Gator that Mullen is probably the best choice

Meh, I'm not worried about Petrino leaving in most situations. I know the ESPN-fueled national perspective is that he just changes jobs for jollies, but I don't know of many opportunities out there that will be more attractive than Arkansas. He's the 9th best paid coach in football now, and may move up a spot after this year. We're in the Sugar Bowl this year, so the rebuilding here is already done. I think the only way he leaves is for a school like Florida or Alabama. He's made it clear he wants to stay in the SEC, and money won't really be an issue. I would think the only thing that would really lure him away would be a program better situated to compete for titles year in and year out. Florida is that type of job, especially since Petrino recruits Florida fairly well. Hopefully they'll just snap up Mullen, quick-like. :)

Alright

1) Like it was said, anyone that likes the Razorbacks should be worried if Bobby P. would leave. He has shown no loyalty to any place at all and Florida could probably offer him close to what he makes at Ark. and he would accept. No offense to the Razorbacks, but Recruiting at Florida and Bama is nothing like Ark. There are a couple choices that are better than Ark. and currently Bobby P is riding high from the BCS bowl berth. I am sure he would ditch Ark for another bigger school if they came a callin.

2) Yeah, most people I talk to want Mullen as our new guy. He won 2 NT and 3 BCS Bowls games. Without him Florida's offense looked horrible and him leaving was another big reason Cam Newton left. Mullen may of had only two years under his belt, but he has done it in arguably the top conf. with a team that didn't run his style of offense that struggled the year before. They had a horrible QB his first year and last year beat Florida and gave Auburn it's toughest test for a whole game (IMHO). Dan Mullen currently has the same number of years coaching in the SEC as Meyer and while yes only 2 are as a Head Coach, it wasn't with a powerhouse like Florida. The fact that he already has the two years under his belt and 2 NC will probably help him over everyone else.

3) The big reason Bob Stoops wasn't a big target last time was because of him. He was 1 year away from a million dollar bonus for staying so long. That bonus is well and done and it's I believe another 4 years till he hits a bonus like that again. He still has a house in Gainesville and I could see him doing it if the price was right and he saw the upside to it.

4) Kyle Willingham (Utah Coach) could be an option. First the President of UF right now is the former President of Utah. Kyle knows the Florida offense and could slide right in. He would have a much better time at recruiting there and a bigger budget for assisstant coaches.

5) NO STEVE SPRURRIER

Last thing, I was begging for Mullen last year when Meyer retired then. I think he is the best qualified coach and would still know a good portion of that class. He would be able to come in instantly and keep the Recruiting class together for the main reason that they run similar system. He has a great D-Coord in Diaz I believe that if he doesn't get the MSU head job once Mullen leaves (which is about 99 percent he wont be there next year) that could replace Florida's current D-Coord. and I am sure Mullen would bring a new O-Coor in. Maybe the Head coach from Jacksonville JUCO. He is a Gator and was Brantley's HS Head Coach. He runs a high powered offense.

1.) If I was Florida I wouldn't want Petrino. Like it or not Florida is known for iconic coaches that are there through good times and bad. Spurrier, Meyer, etc. Petrino's track record is that he's not going to stick around any place for long and has no loyalty to any program NFL, College or most likely even Pop Warner. So nevermind if Bobby would come to Florida they need someone that wants to be at Florida, not someone who wants a higher profile job with more money.

2.) Mullen is still familiar with the program and I would assume would still know the starters on this team very wells since he just left two years ago. I know he's garnered the support of the Florida fans but I'm just not sure they want to put a championship program in the hands of a guy thats highest profile job was Mississippi State. The biggest concern there is how ready is he to lead a championship football program at this level?

3. If the money is there Bob might consider it but why? Florida is in no better position to win right now than Oklahoma is. I can't imagine Florida being able to offer anything that OU wouldn't be able to match. He's got his guys in place, he has full control over the organization and he just won the Big 12 Championship. It would be a lot of work what we're talking four years before he saw his guys in place on the football field? Does he run the same offense Urb does? How hard would it be for the kids to adjust to a new guy? Bob and Florida are in a "win now" mode and I'm not sure if its a fit.

4.) Kyle would be a good choice. He knows the offense, I would assume he knows the president of U F. He's done an amazing job at Utah and I think he's proven himself over time to be capable of taking his game to the next level. In fact I would choose Kyle for the job over Mullen just because he's been a head coach, he's competed at a high level as a head coach he knows the personnel and his offense would match up well with what Urb has in place.

5.) Look what Steve's down with South freaking Carolina I think that speaks to his cred as a head coach. I don't know what the circumstances are that surrounded Steve leaving and how he's looked upon as a current head coach in the eyes of most Florida fans but the guy has won with the program, and he's taken a much much lesser program and led them to a championship game that they otherwise wouldn't have had a sniff at. I'm not saying he's the guy for the job but I'm saying resume wise not many are better.

Archived