The Puroresu Thread

Bigpapa42

Was considering subscribing to NJPW World if I can figure out how to sign up, but could someone tell me if a certain match is on there?

I remember reading about a match between Robbie Brookside and Chris Jericho from a Super J Cup and I always really wanted to see it. Any chance it's on there?

Wrestle Kingdom's Final PPV Card:

IWGP Heavyweight Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada

Intercontinental Championship

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi

AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito

IWGP Tag Team Championship

Doc Gallows/Karl Anderson vs. Hirooki Goto/Katsuyori Shibata

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship

Kenny Omega vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

Never Open-Weight Championship

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki

Takahashi, Bad Luck Fale & Jeff Jarrett vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Kojima & Honma

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship

reDRagon vs. Time Splitters vs. Young Bucks vs. Forever Hooligans

--

Disappointed that Yoshitatsu got injured since I've been a fan since ECW and him versus Jarrett could have been a fun match (IMO), but otherwise this is a pretty sweet card.

--

Disappointed that Yoshitatsu got injured since I've been a fan since ECW and him versus Jarrett could have been a fun match (IMO), but otherwise this is a pretty sweet card.

Fantastic looking card in my opinion-Anyone who complains about this years Wrestle Kingdom Card or even says that it is remotely disappointing, is mentally defective in my opinion. Though folks should bear in mind, that more than likely not everything will live up to it's full potential due to time constraints.

Here's my expectations

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship

reDRagon vs. Time Splitters vs. Young Bucks vs. Forever Hooligans

This will probably end up being a 10 minute spot-fest sprint- it will be a fun opener but won't reach the potential it could have if given five or so more minutes worth of 'slow build'

2. Takahashi, Bad Luck Fale & Jeff Jarrett vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Kojima & Honma

Filler six man tag that will probably be under 10 minutes

3. Toru Yano & a Mystery Partner vs A Suzuki-Gun select team (More than likey K.E.S)

Another filler match, and basically an excuse to shoe-horn Toru Yano onto the Wrestle Kingdom Card

4. 'UWF Rules' Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki

I'm not really a big fan of the faux MMA style, but this might be surprisingly really good (e.g something similar to Nakamura vs Sakuraba from WK7 in 2013). Needs to be given enough time to feel special, but not overstay it's welcome either.

5. Never Open-Weight Championship

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe

Like the Junior Tag title match, this might end up suffering from time constraints. Should be a good physical brawl, just not sure it will end up being as great as Ishii's NEVER title matches against Naito and Goto.

6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship

Ryusuke Taguchi vs Kenny Omega

I will admit that Ryusuke Taguchi is not that inspiring to me a Junior Champion. Do I think this will be a bad match? No, I think it will be fairly decent, provided we don't get too much Bullet Club BS.

7. IWGP Tag Team Championship

Doc Gallows/Karl Anderson vs. Hirooki Goto/Katsuyori Shibata

For me Guns & Gallows run as tag champs has been uninspired and I'm hoping they drop the belts here. Saying that I though their Tag League Finals match against Goto/Shibata was pretty good and hopefully we can at least get a repeat of that here.

8. AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito

If these two get at least 15 minutes to do their thing, this could be a really good match (provided Styles can avoid another Styles Clash mishap:p) and kick off an awesome home stretch for the show.

9. Intercontinental Championship

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi

This match has awesome written all over it- The only way this match can end up being disappointing is they book it for a stupidly short amount of time (anything under 10 minutes) or someone ends up injuring themselves early in the match. My expectations are through the roof for this one.

10. IWGP Heavyweight Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada

Anyone who complains about this main event, or says that this feud is played out is a complete and utter moron. They hadn't faced each other in a singles match since King of Pro Wrestling in 2013 (well over a year ago!) and who the hell cares when they never have a bad match against one another.

Overall I expect the final three matches will get enough time to reach their full potential to be awesome, plus probably one other match on the undercard will get a decent amount of time to also be really good. The rest of the matches will probably range from passable to pretty good. If those final three matches deliver like they should then the show should be considered a success.

I realize I'm rather tardy to the party here (and not exactly that up on puro), but can someone explain to me how the hell someone like Michael Bennett keeps getting work with New Japan? He's not exactly a talented wrestler (Lance Storm had to pry a decent match out of him) and all he seems to be able to do gimmick-wise is play an arrogant ass, which half the Bullet Club seems to already have covered.

I realize I'm rather tardy to the party here (and not exactly that up on puro), but can someone explain to me how the hell someone like Michael Bennett keeps getting work with New Japan? He's not exactly a talented wrestler (Lance Storm had to pry a decent match out of him) and all he seems to be able to do gimmick-wise is play an arrogant ass, which half the Bullet Club seems to already have covered.

The ROH/NJPW talent trade.

NJPW wants him, it's probably the same reason Rob Conway gets over there so regularly

Though I think Bennett is underrated because it became cool to hate on him since he was brought in by Cornette. Since his stuff with Lance Storm I thought he's been improving tremendously. I wouldn't put the ROH belt on him ever but if you watch some of their WTL matches, it isn't like Bennett is as bad as some of the guys there and the consensus is that he's been far better than people give him credit for. I'd totally take him over the 2014 Shelton Benjamin that has beyond nothing to offer.

Speaking of the NJPW/ROH trade, I am begging for Shibata to come to ROH. Him against Ciampa or Meiyu Tag vs the Briscoes could be great

I wasn't a fan of Bennett until I saw him work in person at ROH's Flyin' High show. He was insanely entertaining and worked his gimmick well.

I love Rob Conway though. I have since he joined La Resistance. I've always felt he was fairly underrated. Plus, he's one of the nicest and coolest wrestlers I've ever met. My brother worked a show with him and he went out of his way to treat every wrestler in the back as peers instead of scrubs like a lot of "names" do.

0. New Japan Rumble - 1 Minute Time Difference Battle Royal

I think Liger will win this one.

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title – 4WAY Match: reDragon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) © vs. Time Splitters (KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) vs. Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)

No idea who will come up with this. Maybe the actual champions.

2. Special 6-Man Tag Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Jeff Jarrett, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi

Kokeshi or not Kokeshi? Probably not. A Jarrett pin is very likely. Waiting for a Kojima's Lariato.

3. Special Tag Match: Toru Yano & X vs. X & X (Suzuki Army)

Filler comedy entertainment match. K.E.S. against Yano and...? A Chaos member? Nagata? Nakanishi? Liger? Tiger Mask IV? Mutoh/Muta? Bob Sapp? Danshoku Dino? Someone else? Who knows?

4. Special Singles Match - Only KO & Give Up Match: Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki

I'm not so let down by this match. Looking forward to a good contest.

5. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii © vs. Togi Makabe

Hard hitting brawl, especially by Ishii, winner of the Extraordinary Performance Award by Tokyo Sports. I wouldn't be surprised if Makable wins.

6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Ryusuke Taguchi © vs. Kenny Omega

Omega 99,9% win.

7. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows © vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata

It's time to win for Goto and Shibata.

8. Special Singles Match: AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito

My heart says Styles will win, my mind Naito.

9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. Kota Ibushi

Already a MOTYC. I hope it'll be like the 4 August 2013 G1 Climax match. Either Nakamura or Ibushi, it's a win-win situation.

10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs. Kazuchika Okada

The passing of the torch. MOTYC candidate as well.

In comparison this Wrestle Kingdom card is better than last year, aside the IWGP Junior Championship.

People's thoughts on Jax Dane? Haven't heard much of him.

He's just a guy I guess. Doesn't stand out in a positive or negative (Big Daddy Yum Yum) way but he's decent enough when they bring him as a lower midcard dude.

Though I have no idea why Kojima and Tenzan are the only guys allowed to work the NWA wrestlers. A guy like Yano could fill that role and it would be somewhat fresh.

He's just a guy I guess. Doesn't stand out in a positive or negative (Big Daddy Yum Yum) way but he's decent enough when they bring him as a lower midcard dude.

Though I have no idea why Kojima and Tenzan are the only guys allowed to work the NWA wrestlers. A guy like Yano could fill that role and it would be somewhat fresh.

Probably because Kojima and Tenzan went to USA different times as NJPW scouts and trainers for the American tryouts/seminars.

Probably because Kojima and Tenzan went to USA different times as NJPW scouts and trainers for the American tryouts/seminars.

That makes sense. I know them plus Liger have been doing US dates due to their NWA titles, maybe nobody else wants to or was asked.

Also Shinsuke Nakamura and Tomohiro Ishii will be challenging KES somewhere in the states in 2015. Some NWA affiliate is going to be very happy

I wasn't a fan of Bennett until I saw him work in person at ROH's Flyin' High show. He was insanely entertaining and worked his gimmick well.

I love Rob Conway though. I have since he joined La Resistance. I've always felt he was fairly underrated. Plus, he's one of the nicest and coolest wrestlers I've ever met. My brother worked a show with him and he went out of his way to treat every wrestler in the back as peers instead of scrubs like a lot of "names" do.

I had a feeling I had to have missed something with this guy since he keeps getting work. I'll have to watch Flyin' High sometime. I also didn't know that Cornette brought him in (and I actually liked Cornette's run with ROH), I figured someone from Sinclair liked him and saw him as being marketable or something.

Yeah, Conway's awesome, he main evented the last NWA Smoky Mountain show I went to (back when he was one-half of the World Tag champs) and he got the almost dead crowd (they had just pulled a b.s. no-contest finish the match before, ruining what was the best match of the night.) to come back alive pretty much single-handedly.

A question for regular New Japan watchers.

What shows should I watch to prepare for Wrestle Kingdom 9? I know enough about most of the workers not to be totally lost during the show, but I wanted to watch a few shows before then to get in the mood so to speak.

I'm guessing these three upcoming shows will be a good place to start?

http://411mania.com/wrestling/updated-lineup-for-njpws-road-to-tokyo-dome-tour/

All the Okada vs. Tanahashi matches, you need to know the story and background of that rivalry and just appreciate how fantastic the two of them are. You should definitely watch Nakamura vs. Ibushi from the 2013 G1 Climax, the WK9 match is a long-awaited rematch that was supposed to happen earlier this year but didn't because Ibushi got injured.

I also highly recommend The Young Bucks vs. Time Splitters from Dominion, but outside of that it's down to you. Most of the matches don't have that much backstory, and there's nothing you need to see that you won't get via the video packages or whatever.

How many Okada/Tanahashi matches are there?

I watched Nakamura/Ibushi last night. Before that I had only ever seen highlights of it. After watching random Nakamura matches last night, I think he might be my favorite worker. He's just so naturally cool. Completely different style, but his charisma reminds me of Scott Hall in that he doesn't need to try to be cool, he just is. If that makes any sense. Plus, his strikes are just so much fun to watch.

I'll definitely check out the Young Bucks vs Time Splitters match. I'm a huge fan of Alex Shelley. I don't think I've ever been unsatisfied with one of his matches.

*Edit*

So I'm on New Japan World and to my surprise, they have the only Super Liger match in existence. The way Jericho made it sound in his book, this match was a total abomination, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near bad. You can tell he can't see and that he isn't used to the full body suit restricting movement, but it's not that bad. Plus, the Super Liger gear is awesome looking.

As I typed this he botched a move haha

How many Okada/Tanahashi matches are there?

There are six, I'm going to try and list them off the top of my head, so this might be wrong. I think all of these are available on YouTube or Dailymotion.

• The New Beginning 2012
  • Dominion 2012
  • Wrestle Kingdom 7
  • Invasion Attack 2013 (5 stars from Dave Meltzer)
  • G1 Climax 2013
  • Kings Of Pro-Wrestling 2013 (5 stars from Dave Meltzer)

I watched Nakamura/Ibushi last night. Before that I had only ever seen highlights of it. After watching random Nakamura matches last night, I think he might be my favorite worker. He's just so naturally cool. Completely different style, but his charisma reminds me of Scott Hall in that he doesn't need to try to be cool, he just is. If that makes any sense. Plus, his strikes are just so much fun to watch.

Yeah, Nakamura is special. I agree with everything you said about him, he's got bags of charisma and just the dude's presence... I don't know if you've seen enough New Japan to notice but just see how much the crowd lighten up whenever they hear his music, or whenever he does basically anything they are all over him. He's great, I can't wait for his match with Ibushi, and to think it'll be followed by another fantastic Okada/Tanahashi match... damn.

It was so much fun listening to the crowd during the Nakamura/Ibushi match. They loved both men and that made the match feel that much more engaging.

If anyone has any suggestions for "must see" New Japan matches. Throw them my way please.

Since the translations aren't perfect for Chrome, is there any reason AJ Styles isn't a tag to search for?

I was also really hoping to see Kurt Angle vs Nakamura, but it doesn't seem to be on there. I believe I saw it was on YouTube though at least.