The Puroresu Thread

Bigpapa42

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hashasheen" data-cite="Hashasheen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30254" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Shelley's out with an injury. I think their giving all his opponents forfeit victories, but I think they should sub in Tanaka.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sucks for Shelley, second year in the row where he has had to pull out of the BOSJ through injury. </p><p> </p><p> I don't think there has ever been a precedent where someone 'subs' in during a tournament. NJPW have always gone with the wrestler pulling out forfeiting their remaining matches.</p>

<p><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>Tigerkinney's opinions on NJPW Best of the Super Juniors- Night 1 (Korakuen Hall, Tokyo) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#8B0000;"><strong>* Spoilers Ahead- Skip over this post if you do not to know the results*</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>1. BOSJ Block A: Jushin Thunder Liger bt Yohei Komatsu in 8:36 </strong></p><p> </p><p>

This match was prime evidence that you don't need over ten minutes to put on a great match and tell a compelling story. Komatsu came out here and literally took the fight right to Liger from the opening bell, drop-kicking the legend before Liger could even take his cape off. Liger managed to withstand the storm, and pissed off by Komatsu's insolence gave the young lion a brutal brainbuster out on the floor. From then on the story of the match was Komatsu fighting from underneath, with the odd tease that he might just pull off the upset, with the crowd fully behind Komatsu and his plucky effort. </p><p> </p><p>

For the reasonably short time they were given here, they told the story they were trying to get over, to perfection<span style="color:#808000;"><strong>. ****</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>2. BOSJ Block B: Tiger Mask IV bt Nick Jackson in 8:03</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Nick Jackson, came out riding on Cody Hall's shoulders<em> (a nod to the Bullet Club's past where Prince Devitt would come to the ring on Bad Luck Fale's shoulders</em>). As expected this match had interference from Hall as Jackson's second and the sole Young Buck on this occassion usual brand of obnoxiousness. Despite the interference though, this ended up being a reasonably entertaining match , and in some ways the story of the NJPW veteran and loyalist in Tiger Mask, battling against the deck being stacked against him, ended up adding to the match. <span style="color:#808000;"><strong>** 1/2 </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>3. BOSJ Block B: Alex Shelley bt David Finlay Jr in 5:32</strong></p><p> </p><p>

This match did nothing to make me excited about the rest of Finlay Jr's appearances in the tournament. Whilst he didn't really do anything wrong, he did nothing really to stand out- then again only being given 5 and a half minutes and jobbing rather easily is going to leave that kind of underwhelming impression. If all they are going to do with Finlay is have him be easy pickings, then they may as well have given this spot to Sho Tanaka or Jay White.<span style="color:#808000;"><strong> ** </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>4. BOSJ Block A: Barbaro Cavernario bt Chase Owens in 7:15 </strong></p><p> </p><p>

This match summed up my issues with Chase Owens, he's got some inventive stuff in his repetoire but his delivery of his moves are often awkward looking- and this also summed up this match, where both Cavnenario and Owens delivered the odd impressive looking spot but ended up putting together an incoherent match due to having next to no chemistry with each other as opponents. <strong><span style="color:#808000;">** </span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>5. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma bt Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI in 14:19 </strong></p><p> </p><p>

Nothing new here, this was your standard 'Road To' six man tag, with the individual feuds pairing off with one another and the bigger stars working at half speed, until the closing stretch. YOSHI-HASHI who (predictably) ended up taking the fall here, worked his socks off in the closing stretch and ended up being the man to lift the match. Though YOSHI-HASHI I'm not going to start campaigning that YOSHI-HASHI should be given a stronger push but he's becoming pretty great as the CHAOS fall guy in these multi-man tags, obviously seeing them as his opportunity to impress, whilst the star names semi take the night off. <span style="color:#808000;"><strong>*** </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>6. BOSJ Block B: Bobby Fish bt Rocky Romero in 13:06 </strong></p><p> </p><p>

Both Fish and Romero, are seconded by their tag partners at ringside. Match began with some comedy, with Fish stealing Romero's eye-patch and thus took a little while to get going. Once it did get going, this got pretty good with the match being built around Fish targetting Romero's legs with various submissions and ultimately forcing Romero to tap out. <strong> ***</strong></p><p>

</p><p><em>

O'Reilly and Beretta enter the ring, and the two teams end up brawling, until Romero and Fish end up brawling to the back, and the bell rings to begin the next match. </em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>7. BOSJ Block A: Kyle O'Reilly bt Beretta in 13:04 </strong></p><p> </p><p>

O'Reilly controlled the early portion of the match, working over Beretta's arm, before the match lead to some fun spots out of the floor <em>(including O'Reilly delivering a running drop-kick off the apron to a seated Beretta)</em>. Eventually the match settled into an enjoyable back and forth, with the armwork from earlier in the match paying off for O'Reilly, when he forced Beretta to tap out to the arm bar. </p><p> </p><p>

Aside from the odd issue with O'Reilly's sometimes goofy looking selling, this ended up being a really good match, that for me ended up edging out Fish/Romero as the pick of the two reDragon/RPG Vice matches. <span style="color:#808000;"><strong>*** 1/2 </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>8. BOSJ Block B: KUSHIDA bt Mascara Dorada in 8:53 </strong></p><p> </p><p>

As expected this match had some good moments, but overall this ended up being a really disappointing match, and that's due to it not being given enough time or more to the point being paced poorly. The match started off in a slow build manner, with KUSHIDA working over Dorada, and then they suddenly switched gears before the match ended up finishing in a sudden and anti-climatic manner with Dorada tapping out to the floor Hoverboard Lock. </p><p> </p><p>

The spots they did once the match did get going, were impressive and showcased the talent that both KUSHIDA and Dorada have but that doesn't hide the fact that as a whole the match was constructed in a disappointing manner. <span style="color:#808000;"><strong>** 1/2 </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>9. BOSJ Block A: Gedo bt Ryusuke Taguchi in 14:00 </strong></p><p> </p><p>

I don't think anyone was excited about this being announced as the main event of the opening round of the BOSJ, especially as Taguchi's comedic act, has been irritating- rather than amusing people. </p><p> </p><p>

However this turned out to be surprisingly entertaining, it wasn't full of great 'work-rate', but they told a good story here, with the crowd fully behind Gedo<em> (despite him technically being the heel, and constantly using short-cuts throughout the match- in fact when Taguchi 'snapped' and was tempted to use the same tactics as Gedo, the Korakuen Hall crowd roared their disapproval)</em>. Taguchi's try too hard goofy persona, actually meshed well on this occasion with an opponent such as Gedo, whose act is less about flashy moves and more about out-smarting the opponent.<span style="color:#808000;"><strong> ***</strong></span></p><p><span style="color:#808000;"><strong> </strong></span></p><p><span style="color:#808000;"><strong>

</strong></span><span style="color:#808000;"><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>Overall Verdict:</strong></span></span><span style="color:#808000;"><span style="color:#000000;"> The opening show provided a consistently solid, rather than spectacular start to this year's tournament- and in all honesty I expect the over-riding feeling of good but not great to continue throughout this years BOSJ. </span></span></p>

Tigerkinney's opinions on NJPW Best of the Super Juniors (Nights 2-5)

* Spoilers Ahead- Skip over this post if you do not to know the results*

BOSJ Matches from Night 2 (Saitama)

A Block: Gedo bt Yohei Komatsu in 10:01

Not as good as Komatsu's match with Liger from the opening show, as this was worked at a much slower deliberate pace, that at this moment in time doesn't really mesh well with Komatsu's fiery young lion character. The story here was as you expected, with the seasoned veteran Gedo, being one step ahead of the plucky youngster. ** 1/2

B Block: Ryusuke Taguchi bt Barbaro Cavenario in 08:43

The few other reviews I've read round the web, hated this match, with the usual bemoaning of Taguchi's act. Whilst admittedly Taguchi's goofball persona and ass obsessed offense, also annoyed the hell out of me coming into this tournament, perhaps unlike some others, I have come to terms with what Taguchi has become (and don't have any expectations that his matches are going to be work-rate classics) and that perhaps a fair few wrestling fans could do with lightening up and not taking scripted fighting so bleeding seriously.

In all honesty, this match was good fun, with Taguchi meshing well with the equally bizarre Cavenario, and whilst the ass based offense does still grate, he's starting to incorporate it better with the finish to the match as butt Boma Ye, complete with parody of Shinsuke Nakamura- was actually amusing, unless of course you're someone who thinks Pro Wrestling should be serious business 24/7. ** 1/2

A Block: Nick Jackson bt KUSHIDA in 09:08

Nick Jackson managed to pull off the upset here in an even more shockingly clean fashion, in what ended up being a very solid match. Not a classic or anything, but this ended up being an enjoyable back and forth affair, that was refreshingly free of Bullet Club Shenanigans. 'Slick' Nick probably went over here to place some doubt in the fans minds in regards to the predictable outcome of KUSHIDA going on to win the tournament. ***

The Alex Shelley vs Rocky Romero match was pulled from this show, after Shelley injured his ankle in the first match. As it turns out a few days later, the news was even worse, with Shelley forced to pull out of the whole tournament due to the injury. Shelley now forfeits the rest of his matches, with the opponents he would have been facing getting 2 points each by default.

It's unfortunate for Shelley who suffers terrible injury luck during the BOSJ for the second year in a row and it must also ruin the plans for Block B, as KUSHIDA and Shelley were going to face one another during the final round of matches, in what looked to be on paper- the Block decider and now leaves the tournament favourite, with no match during the final round of matches.

BOSJ Matches from Night 3 (Niigata)

A-Block: Beretta bt Chase Owens in 10:19

Probably Owens best match thus far in an NJPW ring- the crowd still aren't really into him (with them noticeably being more excited whenever Beretta was on offense) but the match made him look like more of a buyable threat (though one that ultimately ended up being a losing effort) and his chemistry with Beretta was noticeably better than with Cavenario. The teased finish of Beretta being counted out after taking a package piledriver on the apron was done well, and overall this match ended up being surprisingly pretty good by the end. ***

B-Block: Mascara Dorada bt David Finlay Jr in 7:46

The story of the match here, as expected was the story of the match here, was the mat-technician Finlay, trying to keep the flashy high flyer in Dorada grounded, and when that ended up not going to plan, that ultimately forced Finlay into thinking he would need to take a few risks himself, in order to get the better of Dorada.

I came away a little more impressed by Finlay than after his first match with Alex Shelley- he got a little more time here to show what he can do and despite the styles clash, he had decent chemistry with Dorada. ** 1/2

B-Block: Tiger Mask IV bt Bobby Fish in 9:22

You know the kind of match, that is inoffensive but forgettable, this was the very definition of that kind of match. It's this kind of consistent mediocrity, that leaves many wrestling fans unexcited when it comes to Tiger Mask IV's annual presence in the tournament. **

A-Block: Kyle O'Reilly bt Jushin Thunder Liger in 8:52

This ended up being a pretty evenly contested back and forth, with Liger giving O'Reilly enough to put the rising star over, but also being given enough by O'Reilly to remain looking strong- what this resulted in by the conclusion of the match, was an effort that was good but not great. ***

BOSJ Matches from Night 4 (Yamagata)

A-Block: Barbaro Cavenario bt Gedo in 10:53

In a lot of ways Gedo, can be compared to his fellow CHAOS member Toru Yano, when it comes to their role in these kind of tournaments, being the 'banana-skin' that uses smarts and cunning, rather than power and athleticism to get the better of their opponent- Though it's easy to make the comparison, when both like to incorporate the exposed turnbuckle spot.

This match began a bit slow, with many of the spots built around trying to send their opponent/trying to avoid the exposed turnbuckle. Once it built up a head of steam though it became really good with Cavenario getting to either show off or at the very least tease some of his crazier spots. Despite the leaden beginning, this ended up being one of the best matches of the tournament thus far. *** 1/2

B-Block: KUSHIDA bt David Finlay Jr in 09:40

The bulk of this match was like something you would see from old 'World of Sport' matches in the U.K from the 70's and 80's with the bulk of the work being done on this match. This ended up being a solid technical contest, with KUSHIDA doing his best to help make his inexperienced opponent look competitive. Finlay Jr is gradually improving with each outing during this tournament. ***

B-Block: Rocky Romero bt Nick Jackson in 13:05

Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, BAKA, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, BAKA, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It,Suck It, Suck It, BAKA, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, BAKA,Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, BAKA, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, Suck It, SUCK IT.

There's the match for you. OK it didn't actually 'suck it', but it was just average- they worked in a lot of their 'comedy' routine, which would be more amusing if you haven't seen them do the same routine for the past few months during the Young Bucks/RPG Vice matches. ** 1/2

A-Block: Ryusuke Taguchi bt Beretta in 10:58

Honestly here is where I am now with Taguchi and his goofy ass based offense. I can take it in small doses, his match with Cavenario on BOSJ show #2 was fine, as it was kept reasonably short . This time though the match dragged on way too long, and ended up being a bit of a chore to get through. Worst match of the tournament thus far. * 1/2

Matches from Night 5 (Aomori)

A-Block: Kyle O'Reilly bt Yohei Komatsu in 10:14

Nothing flashy about this match, in terms of the wrestling on display- it was pretty basic stuff throughout, but this was basic stuff, enhanced by Komatsu's gutsty underdog performance. Once the 'young lion' shackles come off Komatsu, he really could be something special. ***

B-Block: Mascara Dorada bt Tiger Mask IV in 10:05

Most of the best moments of this match came courteousy of Dorada, but his dance partner was 'Mr Mediocrity' Tiger Mask IV- so as one would expect this match ended up being as average as they come. ** 1/2

A-Block: Chase Owens bt Jushin Thunder Liger in 8:07.

Another solid match here. Owen's to give him credit has shown improvement in his last couple of outings, and appears to be getting more comfortable in his role as a douchebag heel, willing to bend the rules at every opportunity to gain an advantage. Liger may no longer have the stamina to go much more than 10 minutes, but he has shown throughout this tournament he can still consistently play his part in a short(ish) but entertaining contest. ***

Overall Assessment from Day 2-5: General consensus on this years BOSJ thus far has been this 'The tournament has been fine but a bit underwhelming'- Personally I would go along with the first part of that statement, but in all honestly this is the standard I expected for this years BOSJ, so personally I haven't found it to be underwhelming.

Standings after three matches

A-Block

Kyle O'Reilly 3-0 (6 Pts)

Barbaro Cavenario 2-1 (4 Pts)

Gedo 2-1 (4 Pts)

Ryusuke Taguchi 2-1 (4 Pts)

Jushin Thunder Liger 1-2 ( 2 Pts)

Beretta 1-2 (2 Pts)

Chase Owens 1-2 (2 Pts)

Yohei Komatsu 0-3 (0 Pts)

B-Block

Mascara Dorada 3-1 (6 Pts)#

KUSHIDA 3-1 (6 Pts)#

Tiger Mask IV 3-1 (6 Pts)#

# Scheduled to face Alex Shelley later in the tournament, forfeit wins already added.

Bobby Fish 2-1 (4 Pts)

Rocky Romero 2-1 (4 Pts)

Nick Jackson 2-2 (4 Pts)

Alex Shelley 1-6 (2 Pts)*

* Withdrawn from tournament, all 6 losses via forfeit.

David Finlay 0-3 (0 Pts)

• 2 weeks later...
KUSHIDA vs. Kyle O'Reilly was very, very, very good. I have it pegged at ****1/2. A match I think everybody needs to see.

MOTYC for sure, a great end to the tournament, with the two standout performers of this years BOSJ ending up in the finals. Overall this years tournament was solid rather than spectacular, but I didn't really expect anything more from this years line-up.

Like the G-1 did last year with A.J Styles, I think this years Best of the Super Juniors has helped O'Reilly get properly over with the Japanese fans.

This years G-1 Participants have been announced:

Seen quite a bit of whingeing on various wrestling forums, that this years line-up is 'stale' and that many card carrying members of the IWC are disappointed Michael Elgin got the ROH representative nod over Roderick Strong.

No Suzukigun representation this year- Looks like they've effectively been loaned out to NOAH for the entire year. Though the only one I think that is truly missed from the line-up is their leader Minoru Suzuki.

In all honesty I think people would be complaining less about this line-up being stale if they just tweaked a couple of the spots. For me the most disposable members of this years line-up are Yujiro (no matter how many scantily clad ladies they put this guy with his ceiling is midcard at best) and Doc Gallows (not sold on him at all as a singles performer).

In their place should have been- YOSHI-HASHI (has been working his butt off in the multi-man tags and would have been more fun in the 0-9 underdog role, than Yujiro would have been as some middle of the pack spoiler) and Kenny Omega (Thought NJPW were having him sit out the BOSJ, so they could enter him in this years G-1 and test the waters for an eventual Heavyweight division push).

• 1 month later...

Just my quick thoughts on NJPW Dominion , which overall I thought was a great show....

Pre Show 8 Man Tag- Nothing memorable but fine as pre-show filler.

Junior Tag Titles 3-Way (Young-o Bucks-o vs reDragon vs RPG Vice)- The typical fast paced action you would expect from this match-up. Still pretty entertaining, but the match-up is 'played out' and the division could do with some fresh teams coming into the picture.

Naito & Honma vs Fale and Yujiro- Naito's subtle turn towards the dark side, since his return from his Mexican excursion made this filler tag a little more interesting. OK action, lifted by more intriguing storytelling.

Shibata vs Sakuraba- It's being proven that Sakuraba is a useful asset to NJPW in small doses, as he's now had stellar matches with Nakamura, MiSu and now with his former 'protege' Shibata. This was an enjoyable contest that saw the heavy striking style of Shibata, go up against the superior submission game of his former mentor Sakuraba.

Junior Title (Omega vs KUSHIDA)- Phenomenal video package before this match, showing KUSHIDA as a young kid who always had dreams of becoming a pro wrestler- if you weren't already behind him, this video surely would have succeeded in getting you behind him even more. Match itself was very good with a creative finish, and saw Omega viciously going after KUSHIDA's knee, whilst the Time Splitter looked to weaken the arm of 'The Cleaner' to set up for the Hoverboard Lock. However KUSHIDA's spotty selling of having his leg worked over, did take away from the match a bit. His selling whilst on defence was very good, but he completely forgot to sell the extent of the damage his legs were supposed to have taken, when momentum swung his way.

NEVER Title (Makabe vs Ishii)- This was OK- just the usual 'fighting spirit' brawl these two have against one another. Not a bad match, but it's a match-up I can do without seeing for a long time now- thankfully this does appear to be the end of the feud, as they have been drawn in different blocks in the G-1.

Tag Titles (Kingdom & Maria's ASSets vs Douchebag Club)- How far the IWGP Tag Titles have fallen. This was the most rubbish thing on the card, and the tag division needs a major overhaul to help the titles get their prestige back.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Toru Yano- Though far from a what you would call a great match, this was still pretty entertaining for what it was, which is all you can expect from a Toru Yano match. In fact I don't mind Yano's presence at all in New Japan, as his brand of 'light relief' is generally kept out of the title picture (unlike the Tag Team title nonsense), and whilst some will see this as a 'waste of Tanahashi's talent'- working a lighter programme like this for the past six months, probably means he will be in better condition to handle the rigours of a G-1 climax.

Intercontinental Title (Goto vs Nakamura): Nakamura is becoming the king of the uber cool entrance- this time coming out in a sequined Ninja ensemble, to perfectly set the scene of the match up, as Ninja (Nakamura) vs Samurai (Goto). As for the match itself, this was another very good contest between these two- bit slow to start with, but ended on a strong note.

IWGP Heavyweight Title (Styles vs Okada): This one threatened to be sunk by Douchebag Club interference at the start, but the legend that is Red Shoes told them to 'suck it' and sent them packing. As soon as this become a fair one on one match up, this match became phenomenal- with a jaw dropping finishing sequence.

Personally Nakamura vs Ibushi from WK9 is still my favourite NJPW match up of this year, but the main event between Styles and Okada is still a surefire MOTYC, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone giving it the full boat of 5-stars, even with the early interference- in a lot of way, the Douchebag Club nonsense ended up adding to the match, as it gave us what must now be a classic moment in the legendary career of Red Shoes :)

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to say, hoping Shibata gets a big push, Love that guy's in-ring style!

He probably won't. He left the company when he was being pushed and it was at a time when New Japan really needed new stars. The Inoki MMA Crossover experiment had hurt the company very badly, mostly because multiple-time IWGP Heavyweight Champion Yuji Nagata got destroyed in an MMA fight, damaging all of his credibility. That, and nobody wanted to see Josh Barnett and Bob Sapp main event New Japan shows. Whilst Shibata wrestled for nobodies and then attempted MMA, Tanahashi almost solely resurrected the company from the dead - alongside Goto, Makabe and Nakamura of course - and then, all of a sudden, Katsuyori Shibata wanted back in wrestling.

• 4 weeks later...

In somewhat surprising news, CJP - he of NXT fame - will be doing a couple of NJPW shows alongside Matt Sydal. Bolded their names in the cards for ease of seeing.

Okayama 23/9

NEVER Title : Togi Makabe v Kota Ibushi

Jr.Heavy : Kenny Omega v KUSHIDA

Toru Yano & Kazuchika Okada v AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi

Alex Shelley, Ryusuke Taguchi, Captain New Japan, Tomoaki Honma & Hirooki Goto v RPG Vice (Berretta & Rocky Romero), YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii & Shinsuke Nakamura

Juice Robinson, Matt Sydal & Hiroshi Tanahashi v Cody Hall, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale

Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan v Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows

NWA Jr.Heavy : Steve Anthony v Tiger Mask

Mascara Dorada & Jushin Thunder Liger v reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly)

Sho Tanaka, Yohei Komatsu, Katsuyori Shibata & Yuji Nagata v Jay White, David Finlay, Manabu Nakanishi & Tetsuya Naito

Hyogo 27/9

IC Title : Hirooki Goto v Shinsuke Nakamura

G1 Briefcase : Hiroshi Tanahashi v Bad Luck Fale

Jr.Heavy Tag : reDRagon v Time Splitters (KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley)

Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & Kazuchika Okada v Tama Tonga, AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi

Katsuyori Shibata v Tetsuya Naito

Matt Sydal, Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan v Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows

Mascara Dorada, Ryusuke Taguchi, Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe v RPG Vice, YOSHI-HASHI & Tomohiro Ishii

Tiger Mask, Jushin Thunder Liger & Yuji Nagata v Juice Robinson, Captain New Japan & Manabu Nakanishi

Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu v Jay White & David Finlay

• 2 months later...
Dragon Gate's Gate of Destiny event just finished and I would highly recommend going out of your way to see Shingo vs Mochizuki from it. Probably the stiffest match I've ever seen and it's my MOTY so far.

That's high praise from a man that has also seen Amigo Tag vs. Susumu & Kagetora.

So it's going to be AJ Styles vs Nakamura at WK10.

Tanahashi and Okada are going to have to work extra hard to top that in the main event.

Yup. That may steal the show just like I feel Nakamura did with Ibushi at WK9. I kind of feel like AJ should've never lost the title, and this should be the main event. They still could've done Tanahashi vs. Okada in the semi main with Okada obsessed to finally beat the ace in the Tokyo Dome. Then that also would've given more weight to another match on the card with someone else defending the IC title.

The booking of the junior tag division bugs the heck out of me. What was the point of doing that tournament if you're just going to throw the four relevant teams into the usual cluster at WK?

• 4 weeks later...
Random question time!

I haven't watched Dragon Gate in quite a few years. I've been looking to get back into it. Is there a legal way to watch them online or am I stuck ordering the DVDs?

MHero's time to shine!~

There is a website - openthedragongate.com - that I don't quite know the legalties about that shows PPVs. Gaora hasn't shut it down copyright wise and it's been going for at least three years now. RealHero on Dailymotion also uploads PPVs after they happen in individual matches.

Live shows are shown on niconico - here are the links to this month's two Korakuen Hall shows December 3rd December 16th.

Jae at iheartdg has also recently opened up an international merch store which has an abundance of great wares, including these two DVDs of what is essentially the best of the summer season of 2014 and the best of the autumn season in 2014. The actual Dragon Gate website has the winter season DVD up already so Jae should hopefully get up on the site by the new year at the very least.

That's about all the helpful links I can think of in terms of buying and watching Dragon Gate shows. Make sure to check iheartdg regularly as well for show results and such, Jae does a bang up job of keeping results. Makes it easier to follow because not every show makes PPV or airs on Infinity - which is damn hard to actually watch outside of Japan.