The Puroresu Thread

Bigpapa42

On 9/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, The Swanton825 said:

So watch GLEAT has made me want to get back into puro and other wrestling outside the big boys in the US. I seriously lapsed in my wrestling fandom back in 2019-ish so I'm super out of touch with current trends and my crappy attention span makes sticking with one promotion for a long period of time kind of difficult. Are there any good "all-in-one" choices for legal (I feel like I shouldn't need to make this part clear, but just in case) streaming sites when it comes to wrestling?

Wrestle Universe is phenomenal for the price. NOAH, DDT, TJPW and some others (mainly GanPro) at under $10 USD/mo. And it's actually a good streaming service.

IWTV is also pretty cool for the US. Roughly same price for more wrestling than any of us could ever watch. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Wrestle Universe is phenomenal for the price. NOAH, DDT, TJPW and some others (mainly GanPro) at under $10 USD/mo. And it's actually a good streaming service.

IWTV is also pretty cool for the US. Roughly same price for more wrestling than any of us could ever watch. 

Wrestle Universe definitely sounds appealing. Love what I've watched of DDT over the years, but I could never justify the sub for one promotion so throwing NOAH in there definitely helps. Yes, I am that much out of the loop that I didn't know DDT and Noah had the same parent company until today lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Swanton825 said:

Wrestle Universe definitely sounds appealing. Love what I've watched of DDT over the years, but I could never justify the sub for one promotion so throwing NOAH in there definitely helps. Yes, I am that much out of the loop that I didn't know DDT and Noah had the same parent company until today lol.

DDT also isn't the same DDT of five or ten years ago either. It's a really, really good promotion. Jun Akiyama is there!

On 9/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, The Swanton825 said:

A friend showed me Jun Kasai vs El Desperado from this past Monday and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the stomach for deathmatch wrestling. Matches like that are a fantastic example of how deathmatches can have real psychology and drama on display when good workers are involved.

Just Tap Out TAKATaichiDespeMania (TAKA Michinoku's Debut 30th Anniversary) event!!! That was a great show from head to toe. Maika & MIRAI vs. Aoi & Tomoka Inaba was just as good, if not better, than the main event with Despe & Jun Kasai (at least IMO). I won't give links, but there are ways to watch the whole event. A definite must-see!

Edited by djskeemask

7 hours ago, Jaysin said:

So Sting is wrestling for Noah in January.

Pro wrestling is so weird and amazing. 

So is this why they brought in Muta? My reasoning for that was totally different. I figured since Malakai is MIA, and he was known for spitting mist, they would bring Muta in to flip the script on House of Black. A little taste of their own medicine.

3 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

Sting in Noah feels like something I booked in TEW because I never thought it'd actually happen IRL.

It's not that far-fetched. Sting is just as well known in Japan as he is here. And, tbh, I think Sting could wrestle and still be a huge draw no matter where he wrestled. Even India! 😆

42 minutes ago, djskeemask said:

It's not that far-fetched. Sting is just as well known in Japan as he is here. And, tbh, I think Sting could wrestle and still be a huge draw no matter where he wrestled. Even India! 😆

Oh I know he's popular in Japan, it's the NOAH part that surprised me. Alas, I am old and still think of NOAH as they were when Misawa was still alive. Sting's one of the only guys who could call himself The Icon and it not be a ridiculous boast, but I don't think he would have meshed well with the old King's Road style. (Yes, I know that's the name for 90s All Japan, but Misawa took that to NOAH and I can't remember if they called it something else afterwards)

1 hour ago, The Swanton825 said:

Oh I know he's popular in Japan, it's the NOAH part that surprised me. Alas, I am old and still think of NOAH as they were when Misawa was still alive. Sting's one of the only guys who could call himself The Icon and it not be a ridiculous boast, but I don't think he would have meshed well with the old King's Road style. (Yes, I know that's the name for 90s All Japan, but Misawa took that to NOAH and I can't remember if they called it something else afterwards)

They call it Odo, or Royal Road with Ark. Nowadays, NOAH is right up there underneath NJPW. NOAH uses stars like AEW does. That meaning they have their own roster but also use workers from other companies, even AJPW. I have a feeling this is why NJPW is now "lending out" workers to AEW and ROH to compete in that aspect with NOAH. In Japan, it kind of seems like the equivalent to USA is NJPW = WWE and NOAH = AEW. I know I shouldn't compare because all 4 companies are their own entities with their own charms and faults. However, if I were explaining Japan wrestling to a casual American viewer, that is how I would explain it. I haven't watched much NOAH, but the recent stuff I have seen is more in line with Puro style.

5 minutes ago, djskeemask said:

They call it Odo, or Royal Road with Ark. Nowadays, NOAH is right up there underneath NJPW. NOAH uses stars like AEW does. That meaning they have their own roster but also use workers from other companies, even AJPW. I have a feeling this is why NJPW is now "lending out" workers to AEW and ROH to compete in that aspect with NOAH. In Japan, it kind of seems like the equivalent to USA is NJPW = WWE and NOAH = AEW. I know I shouldn't compare because all 4 companies are their own entities with their own charms and faults. However, if I were explaining Japan wrestling to a casual American viewer, that is how I would explain it. I haven't watched much NOAH, but the recent stuff I have seen is more in line with Puro style.

I'm surprised to hear how well they're doing because a friend of mine was insistent that they've been on the downswing for a while now. Then again, when aren't wrestling fans cynical about everything?

Did anyone watch Burning Spirit last night?? Awesome show. Main event David Finlay Jr vs. Will Ospreay for the US Title! Definitely could be in the running for match of the year! They put on a 30 minute clinic in wrestling and story-telling. I never thought much of Finlay Jr., but this much certifies him as a top wrestler in the biz. Even Ospreay praised him after the match in the backstage promo to close the show. I don't think I've ever heard him compliment anyone other than himself or the rest of United Empire. Also, a turn happened and the crowd loved it! I don't want to spoil anything. It was one of the loudest reactions I've heard from a 'no cheering rule' crowd. Must see!

• 3 weeks later...

Katsuya Kitamura has unfortunately passed away at the age of 36.

He's been doin bodybuilding competitions and seemed to be in very good health. We're friends on social media, but our conversations were always brief because of the language barrier, but he always took the time to attempt to talk with me and other fans/social members. 

I'm really bummed out. The second I saw him debut as a young lion I thought he'd be a multi time heavyweight champion by the end of his career and instead he was concussed so bad he had to retire. 

I wonder if the cerebral concussion played a part in his death. 

12 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

Katsuya Kitamura has unfortunately passed away at the age of 36.

He's been doin bodybuilding competitions and seemed to be in very good health. We're friends on social media, but our conversations were always brief because of the language barrier, but he always took the time to attempt to talk with me and other fans/social members. 

I'm really bummed out. The second I saw him debut as a young lion I thought he'd be a multi time heavyweight champion by the end of his career and instead he was concussed so bad he had to retire. 

I wonder if the cerebral concussion played a part in his death. 

It's sad. Head injuries are the worst. A lot of times they go unnoticed and manifest into bigger problems physically and mentally. And it's not something you get checked for when you go for a check up or anything. So they often go untreated. In sports, they are 100x more common. I will admit they are getting better about rules and exams in some areas. I've heard the name, but never seen him wrestle. Maybe I will do some googling later.

1 minute ago, djskeemask said:

It's sad. Head injuries are the worst. A lot of times they go unnoticed and manifest into bigger problems physically and mentally. And it's not something you get checked for when you go for a check up or anything. So they often go untreated. In sports, they are 100x more common. I will admit they are getting better about rules and exams in some areas. I've heard the name, but never seen him wrestle. Maybe I will do some googling later.

If you have New Japan World, you can watch his whole career. It's very brief, roughly 3 years, but he had untapped potential, a killer look, tons of charisma, and star quality out the wazoo. Plus, he was a pretty good amateur style wrestler as well to fall back on. Him and O'Khan looked like a promising tag team before Kitamura retired and Oka went to UK on excursion. I know you're an O'Khan fan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

If you have New Japan World, you can watch his whole career. It's very brief, roughly 3 years, but he had untapped potential, a killer look, tons of charisma, and star quality out the wazoo. Plus, he was a pretty good amateur style wrestler as well to fall back on. Him and O'Khan looked like a promising tag team before Kitamura retired and Oka went to UK on excursion. I know you're an O'Khan fan

Sadly, I only have the free version. I've tried to pay for it, but I ALWAYS get errors from my debit card. Even after notifying the bank first that I will be purchasing it and that it is me that's making the charge. They can't figure it out either. I've tried a couple pre-paid cards to the same result. I gave up after a while. Although after being a member for a while and seeing all the stuff I'm missing on a simple free account, I'm thinking of calling tech support and hoping there is no language barrier issue.
Browsing his results, it looks like he had some good match-ups. I see a lot of (Aaron) Henare, even a pre-Master Wato in there. And yes, indeed, one of my favs in his pre-Great-O-Khan days Oka.

• 2 months later...

Apart from my usual praise of FREEDOMS, ZERO1's January 1st show was aired yesterday on Samurai! TV and it was a pretty good show overall. No bs matches, just straightforward wrestling without any nonsense. Very enjoyable stuff! My fave three matches of the show:

Daisuke Sekimoto, Tomohiko Hashimoto & Chris Vice vs. Aja Kong, Tsugutaka Sato & Rikiya Fudo
Shoki Kitamura vs. Takuya Sugawara
Masato Tanaka vs. Masa Kitamiya