The Puroresu Thread

Bigpapa42

<p>I think NJPW wants the big guns out of the IC title. They need to build up AJ Styles as a big threat until Wrestle Kingdom.</p><p> </p><p>

Personally I'd like to see Nakamura win the G1 Climax; as semifinals Styles-Tanahashi and Nakamura-Okada, hinting a potential break up of Chaos.</p><p> </p><p>

WK could be headlined by a Styles-Nakamura IWGP WK main event, with the second winning the title. As semifinal, a Tanahashi-Okada rematch, with a subtitle number one contendership on the line. </p><p> </p><p>

Only one more thing: if Styles would not renew his contract, his last match should be against Okada, proving the Rainmaker isn't a rookie anymore.</p>

AJ Styles wont be holding the belt until the Dome for sure.

He'll probably lose it back to Okada who will face Nakamura after winning G1. They had to get the belt off Shinsuke in order to give him time to work back up to the heavyweight title. Could see Styles/Tanahashi though Im personally hoping for Tanahashi/Shibata

AJ Styles wont be holding the belt until the Dome for sure.

He'll probably lose it back to Okada who will face Nakamura after winning G1. They had to get the belt off Shinsuke in order to give him time to work back up to the heavyweight title. Could see Styles/Tanahashi though Im personally hoping for Tanahashi/Shibata

As a booking logic I think Styles would retain the title for a long time unless, as you said before, they want Nakamura-Okada for IWGP for the title, Tanahashi-Styles, the biggest hero against the biggest gaijin.

Tanahashi-Shibata it's in the block A. Will we see some harder shots than usual?

As a booking logic I think Styles would retain the title for a long time unless, as you said before, they want Nakamura-Okada for IWGP for the title, Tanahashi-Styles, the biggest hero against the biggest gaijin.

Tanahashi-Shibata it's in the block A. Will we see some harder shots than usual?

I like Styles as a wrestler, and I'm pleased for him, that he's getting to headline shows for a genuine major promotion but reception to his reign as IWGP Heavyweight Champion by the Japanese fans (the one's that actually matter) has been lukewarm- so I don't see him retaining the belt all the way to Wrestle Kingdom.

I do think this is eventually leading to a showdown between Nakamura and Okada at Wrestle Kingdom, which is the one money match up they haven't really put together yet (they did meet in the 2012 G1 Climax but Okada is nowhere near the star he is now).

My thinking is that Nakamura bounces back from losing the Intercontinental title to Bad Luck Fale , possibly beating Styles in the Finals.

-There is no semi finals this year...Block Winners go straight to the Finals, the runners up have a special 'Bronze Medal' match.

I can then see Styles having to defend the belt against someone he dropped a loss to during the G1- prime candidates there would be Naito, Makabe or Goto at Destruction (which is generally one of the more B-Level NJPW PPVs) before Okada finally wins it back at King of Pro Wrestling (which has been built up as one of the most important shows outside of Wrestle Kingdom and the G1 Climax Finals)

On another note, why is broken down Tenzan in the G1 again this year? He probably won't make it to the end of the tournament anyway. Really think his spot should have gone to Tomoaki Honma, who has been working his ass off in the undercard.

New Japan have booked Seibu Dome for the last day, a venue that is close to Tokyo Dome in terms of attendance (33,000 compared to the Dome's 35,000). It's very, very ambitious to book such a huge venue because nothing outside of WK gets an attendance anywhere near 30,000. I doubt they'll put Styles in the final, he's a newcomer and Yokohama didn't sell well with him as a headliner, having him in the final of the G1 could potentially be very damaging to New Japan's business.

Nakamura vs Okada. That will be more than likely be the final. It's a big money match that people are dying to see, if they want to get 30,000 at Seibu Done, they have to do Nakamura vs Okada. In terms of WK 9, NJPW may take a big gamble and do Styles vs Nakamura or Okada. It wouldn't be beyond them, they've already sprung numerous surprises this year already. If they're gonna end the Bullet Club gaijin invasion, I think it should be ended at a big event. Nakamura finally winning the belt back, and putting an end to Bullet Club seems perfect for Wrestle Kingdom.

New Japan have booked Seibu Dome for the last day, a venue that is close to Tokyo Dome in terms of attendance (33,000 compared to the Dome's 35,000). It's very, very ambitious to book such a huge venue because nothing outside of WK gets an attendance anywhere near 30,000. I doubt they'll put Styles in the final, he's a newcomer and Yokohama didn't sell well with him as a headliner, having him in the final of the G1 could potentially be very damaging to New Japan's business.

Some interesting points, I was aware that the Yokohama show was something of a flop in terms of business, and indeed running another main event with Styles would be a huge risk, especially in such a huge building. The G1 Climax Finals will fill Sumo Hall, regardless of who is main eventing (ok perhaps not if the finals ends up as Doc Gallows vs Toru Yano :p) but admittedly they do need a true marquee match to help shift the extra tickets to do a good gate at a building like the Seibu Dome.

It's not inconceivable that they do Nakamura vs Okada at the G1 Finals and then do a re-match with the IWGP Heavyweight title on the line at Wrestle Kingdom.

Another interesting thing I noticed, whilst perusing the schedule of New Japan's official website- looks like they are going to be doing another split PPV (like they did in February for The New Beginning) with Destruction-There's a Destruction in Kobe show and a Destruction in Okayama show.

Another interesting thing I noticed, whilst perusing the schedule of New Japan's official website- looks like they are going to be doing another split PPV (like they did in February for The New Beginning) with Destruction-There's a Destruction in Kobe show and a Destruction in Okayama show.

I hadn't actually noticed that but yeah, http://i58.tinypic.com/fddch5.png[/img]"]you're right. So, Bad Luck Fale and AJ Styles will be defending their championships, any ideas who they will defend against? I'm assuming that both have to be pretty big matches, otherwise they probably wouldn't have it over two days.

<p>I've thought they have been building Suzuki to get a title shot with him not doing anything aside from own undercard tags but I'm not too sure now. Fale if he has to main event can't do Nakamura again and I don't see who they could draw with. I think putting the IC belt in the Semi main of the 2nd show under the world title would work and they could have the first show main evented by a non title Tanahashi or Nakamura match</p><p> </p><p>

I'm just looking forward to the insane block A for this G1</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mootinie" data-cite="Mootinie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30254" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I hadn't actually noticed that but yeah, <a href="" rel="">http://i58.tinypic.com/fddch5.png[/img]"]you're right.</a> So, Bad Luck Fale and AJ Styles will be defending their championships, any ideas who they will defend against? I'm assuming that both have to be pretty big matches, otherwise they probably wouldn't have it over two days.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I can't see them main eventing one of the Destruction shows in September with Fale as Champion, as it probably won't be Nakamura again and I don't see either of the other two of the big three going after that belt at the moment. </p><p> </p><p> We could possibly see an IWGP Tag Title match main event one of those shows, seeing as Tanahashi & Makabe are involved in the mix for those belts. Also seeing as one of those shows is in Kobe, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got another Kota Ibushi vs Ricochet match on that show for the Junior belt, given that it's Dragon Gate's home.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
Dragon Gate 15th Anniversary Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival 2014

Sunday 20th July 2014

Shachihoko BOY vs. Kotoka vs. Ryotsu Shimizu

We Are Team Veteran (K-ness & Super Shisa) vs. Millenials (U-T & Yosuke<3SantaMaria)

15th Anniversary Special 6 Man Tag Team Match

We Are Team Veteran (Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii & Gamma) vs. Uhaa Nation, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa, Jushin Thunder Lyger

Jimmyz (Jimmy Kanda & Jimmy Kagetora) vs. MAD BLANKEY (Mondai Ryu & Punch Tominaga)

Open The Brave Gate Title Match

Flamita © vs. Dragon Kid

Open the Triangle Gate Title Match

MAD BLANKEY (Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong & Kzy) © vs. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Jimmy Susumu, & Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin

Tag Team Match

CIMA & Matt Sydal vs. Monster Express (Masato Yoshino & Ricochet)

Open The Twin Gate Title Match

Monster Express (Akira Tozawa & Shingo Takagi) © vs. Millenials (Eita & T-Hawk)

Open The Dream Gate Title Match

YAMATO © vs. BxB Hulk

This card looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on NJPW G1 Climax 24 Day One (Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center)

1. Tomohiro Ishii vs Bad Luck Fale (A-Block)

I'm not the biggest Fale fan, but I do think he's improving and NJPW have enough talented wrestlers on their roster to carry him to decent matches (it's when he's in there with other hosses that things get ugly). This ended up being a pretty good 'David vs Goliath' contest, and gave this years G-1 a solid start.

2. Shelton X Benjamin vs Doc Gallows (A-Block)

Nothing gets me more excited than a match-up between two mediocre midcard gaijin heels :rolleyes:

Crowd were dead for this, and I don't blame them, this was as 'meh' as it gets wrestling.

3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Karl Anderson (B-Block)

Personally I think it's high time that Tenzan was kept away from the G-1, because he's broken down and well past his best. Saying that this match, was suprisingly decent- by no means a classic or anything, but not dreadful either. If Tenzan can work to this standard throughout the tournament or avoid getting injured, then I might not feel that having him in the G-1 again was a complete waste.

4. Satoshi Kojima vs Yuji Nagata (A-Block)

These are two solid veterans, who do still have some fuel left in the tank, and they could still have a great match against one another. This however was just a wrestling match, it was worked solidly enough but it never looked like rising to that next level.

5. Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki(B-Block)

Thankfully they kept this mercifully short, but you just know that we are going to get treated to match #138384840087487484 or whatever one we will be on next of this never ending feud.

6. Tetsuya Naito vs Yujiro Takahashi (B-Block)

Yujiro is as mediocre as it gets in wrestling, but he does at least have one good thing going for him, being accompanied to the ring by hot ladies..... Or he did, because sadly their was a lack of 'fanservice' for this match.....

Apart from one ugly botch (Yujiro's fault) the match was decent but not great (which is par for the course for matches between these two).

7. Togi Makabe vs Hirooki Goto (B-Block)

This was a manly match where two real men, tried to knock seven bells out of one another. If this was all NJPW did, I would get bored with it fast, but several matches performed in second gear, it was great to see two guys go hammer and tongs at one another.

8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomoaki Honma (A-Block)

Honma, is a replacement for Kota Ibushi who unfortunately had to pull out for health reasons (concussion). Personally I would like to have seen Honma in this tournament from the start, ahead of a number of others.

Honma's one of the best 'underdogs' out there right now, and there is no one better at playing subtle heel on a match by match basis than Tanahashi. This all lead to this being a good match, lifted by the crowd fully getting behind Honma's effort to pull off an upset.

9. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Katsuyori Shibata (B-Block)

This was probably the match, I was looking forward to most on this card- because in recent NJPW it's a fresh match up between two very good wrestlers. This didn't quite hit the heights, I was hoping for, but it was still a good match with a strong finishing stretch.

10. AJ Styles vs Kazuchika Okada (B-Block)

There was one moment of Bullet Club BS in the match, that had me groaning in frustration, but thankfully it wasn't riddled with it, and all in all this was a pretty good main event- Not MOTYC quality, but good enough to justify four snowflakes from someone.

Overall Thoughts

A solid start to this years G-1- First half was mediocre (apart from a good opening contest), but it really picked it up in the 2nd half (honestly I think this will be the case for most of the shows).

Day Two in Aomori (Wednesday) looks a bit weak on paper though, so I'm not expecting great things out of that show: A Doc Gallows main event doesn't exactly excite me, even if is against a genius like Tanahashi.

I see your review Tigerkinney and I raise you my review! It just so happens to be quite similar to yours...

Block A: Bad Luck Fale vs Tomohiro Ishii

This was a good opener with an interesting dynamic, Ishii is used to being able to bully his opponents but he wasn't able to do that to Fale. The action was great once it going and this was another match that Fale has come out of looking good, he's getting better every time I see him. The Bad Luck Fall is also very over as a finisher as Ishii stumbles out of the arena selling the effects of such a devastating move. It's the little things like that that make a big difference. ***1/4

Block A: Doc Gallows vs Shelton X Benjamin

Yeah, this happened. What's with the X in Benjamin's name, isn't that something that musicians use for collabs and such? I wasn't interested in this one bit, mostly because neither have made much of an impact in Japan. They do that usual spot where somebody gets back into the ring at 19, just before they are counted out at 20. It worked here, but that spot is a little stupid during title matches. I love how swearing is allowed, seeing Shelton stick up his middle fingers at Gallows was very amusing. Shelton pulled out an absolutely beautiful superkick before winning with the Paydirt out of nowhere - seriously, it was like the second or third move Shelton did all match… This was decent for what it was. **1/2

Block B: Karl Anderson vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan

I love Machine Gun, but he has his work cut out here because Tenzan is definitely in his twilight years, so much so he shouldn't even be in the G1 IMO. Anderson uses the Mongolian Chops, oh the disrespect! BOO! BOO! The crowd are red hot for Tenzan all the way through this. I like how open this match is, quite a few counters and they trade the control back and forth which keeps things interesting. Tenzan wins with the Anaconda Max, which is the same as the Anaconda Vice but you lock the arm in front instead of behind their neck. This was pretty good, let's hope Tenzan can perform like this all the way through the tournament. ***1/4

Block A: Yuji Nagata vs Satoshi Kojima

This should be interesting because these two have been incredibly successful in their careers with both making their professional debut at around the same time. Wikipedia confirms - Kojima made his debut in 1991, Nagata made his in 1992. Kojima's selling here is great, even something like a kick to the knee looks devastating. I've never seen a wrestler sell agony in a submission like Kojima does in Nagata's Figure Four. After a great closing sequence, Kojima picks up the win with a Lariat. Good match. ***1/2

Block B: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki

Never seen these two wrestle before! This is only the 50th time… Oh well, I love Suzuki's entrance music… "KAZE NIII NARE!" Yano won in like 2 minutes with a school boy HAHAHA, I didn't see that coming. Brilliant. After the match Suzuki beats up poor innocent Komatsu for no reason. This was all actually quite entertaining. **

Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs Yujiro Takahashi

It's crazy how far Naito's stock has dropped. He won this tournament last year and has since jobbed to everybody but Tama Tonga, which is a shame because I think he's a fantastic wrestler. Yujiro nearly breaks his own neck when he hangs Naito out to dry on the top rope. Everything that Naito does is perfect, every single move. The dude is on another level and he comfortably outperforms Takahashi here. Yujiro hits a fantastic German out of nowhere and then picks up the win with the Miami Shine, ugh. This was a good match, hopefully Naito picks up a few wins because he deserves better than this. ***1/2

Block B: Hirooki Goto vs Togi Makabe

Goto's nickname is the Wild Sunrise apparently, I've never heard that before. Makabe is the Unchained King Kong, ditto - this is the battle of the rarely used nicknames. The match was everything I expected, a real slugfest. These two beat the absolute crap out of each other and the crowd loved it. Goto picked up the victory with a Shouten Kai. Very good match, especially since it wasn't actually that long. Makabe is still a reputable singles wrestler and Goto really needed the win. Everything was right here. ***3/4

Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomoaki Homna

I'm so glad Homna is in the G1, he could be a potential breakout this year just like Ishii was last year. We get a bit of good 'ol #TanaHEELshi as he mocks Homna's pre-headbutt taunt. This was a really good match, but it ended a little too soon for my liking. Just as it was getting going, Tanahashi hit the High Fly Flow after the Sling Blade and picked up the pinfall. Homna put up a great fight though and I look forward to seeing more of him. MOTN so far. ****

Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Katsuyori Shibata

Oh boy I am looking forward to this. I loved the start to this, they start slow and then the crowd pop for everything. Shibata misses a kick, big roar. Nakamura misses a kick, big roar. The action was great and as expected, there was a lot of kicks. The most surprising part was the fact that Shibata won, he busted out the Go To Sleep and then hit the Penalty Kick out of the blue and picked up a surprise win. Swagsuke is still my pick to win the entire though. ****

Block B: AJ Styles vs Kazuchika Okada

Probably the most predictable match of the entire tournament, Okada has lost three times to Styles so he's surely winning here. These two could put on the MOTY if they had the crowd, but I just don't think Styles is all that familiar to the Japanese crowd. These matches are harmed because Styles doesn't play a particularly great heel, he's better when he can showcase his flashy offence instead of having to work over an opponent. There was a really cool spot where Okada whipped Styles towards the guardrail but AJ leaped straight over it. As he was showboating, Okada charged, dived over and took him out with a Crossbody. That was awesome. We have a ref bump just before Okada hits the Reverse Neckbreaker, obviously this leads to Yujiro interfering, as if we hadn't seen enough of him already tonight… thankfully Okada dropkicks him into next week. Okada's German Suplex is one of the best I've ever seen, Styles kicks out of it but Okada decks him with the rainmaker shortly afterwards and picks up the win. Very good match. ****1/4

Overall Thoughts:

This was a good show, pretty much every match delivered. Yano/Suzuki will get a lot of criticism, but it made me laugh so what can I say? Goto/Makabe, Tanahashi/Homna, Nakamura/Shibata are the kind of matches I want to see more, they embody what NJPW is all about. There's a lot of gaijin right now and I'm not sure it's a good thing, they tend to bring the crowd down and suck all the excitement out the event. But this was a good start. I'm interested in seeing where they go from here.

Goto's nickname is the Wild Sunrise apparently, I've never heard that before.

I thought it was Wild Samurai, because he sort of has a Samurai gimmick going on.

There's a lot of gaijin right now and I'm not sure it's a good thing, they tend to bring the crowd down and suck all the excitement out the event. But this was a good start. I'm interested in seeing where they go from here.

I'm not anti gaijin in NJPW but I will admit that they probably have a few too many right now. Incidentally enough the few too many competed in the same match on this show....Shelton will never be anything more than a midcard act wherever he wrestles and for me Gallows brings absolutely nothing to the table. We already have a heel gaijin tag team in KES, did we really need another one with Guns & Gallows.

I'm pleased AJ Styles is getting to showcase his talents to bigger crowds than he did whilst with TNA, but he has admittedly been pushed too hard, too soon, and the lukewarm reaction to him becoming IWGP Champion shows that. He needed to be built up first, but Jado and Gedo seem stuck on this Bullet Club dominance angle.

I personally would have had AJ come in lower down the card and then give him a push with a strong showing in the G-1. When AJ won the belt, the time was right to get the title off Okada, but personally I think they should have done it a few months earlier, and finally gave Goto a run with the belt (even if that run just ended up as a transitional reign for a few months).

I thought it was Wild Samurai, because he sort of has a Samurai gimmick going on.

Yeah, that makes sense. I must have misheard that. Either way, it's not something I've heard before.

I'm not anti gaijin in NJPW but I will admit that they probably have a few too many right now. Incidentally enough the few too many competed in the same match on this show....Shelton will never be anything more than a midcard act wherever he wrestles and for me Gallows brings absolutely nothing to the table. We already have a heel gaijin tag team in KES, did we really need another one with Guns & Gallows.

I don't mind Gallows so much because I think he's an okay wrestler - he's a good seller, he's quite consistent, he can brawl and he's actually quite athletic for his size. Same reason I like Lance Archer but Shelty B and Harry Smith do nothing for me, both are very boring to watch.

I'm pleased AJ Styles is getting to showcase his talents to bigger crowds than he did whilst with TNA, but he has admittedly been pushed too hard, too soon, and the lukewarm reaction to him becoming IWGP Champion shows that. He needed to be built up first, but Jado and Gedo seem stuck on this Bullet Club dominance angle.

I personally would have had AJ come in lower down the card and then give him a push with a strong showing in the G-1. When AJ won the belt, the time was right to get the title off Okada, but personally I think they should have done it a few months earlier, and finally gave Goto a run with the belt (even if that run just ended up as a transitional reign for a few months)

Well, they backed themselves into a corner booking wise. I think Devitt was being groomed for a world title run until he told them he was leaving, otherwise Okada would have dropped the belt earlier. I can't imagine that bring in AJ Styles and hopping the belt to him was anything but a quick solution to a problem they created themselves in the long term.

Thoughts on NJPW G1 Climax 24 Day Two

(Aomori Prefectural Budokan)

This is one of four shows to take place in the region of Tohoku, which looks like a really concerted effort from NJPW to bring some bigger shows, to a region that usually misses out. This first show of the Tohoku quartet, however had a card that screamed 'G1 B Show' and I feared because of that we might get a lacklustre crowd (such as the one last year on Night 5 at the Ishikawa Industrial Exhibition Hall) that would end up bringing the show down. Thankfully Aomori at least, seemed to be just pleased to be presented an NJPW event that wasn't just a run of the mill tour show, given their enthusiasm throughout the event.

1. Satoshi Kojima vs Tomohiro Ishii (A-Block)

Crowd were fired up for this and they got treated to a really good hard hitting contest. This was everything you would expect from these two, as they delivered the back and forth 'fighting spirit' battle, everyone would have anticipated. Ishii is ideal for the opening contest slot, as his intense, no nonsense brand of 'fighting spirit' based wrestling, really fires up the crowd.

2. Shelton X Benjamin vs Bad Luck Fale (A-Block)

Crowd are still hot, even though this match features two gaijin heels. They were clearly behind Shelton though (the lesser of two evils). I'm not the biggest fan of either guy, but they actually ended up putting on a short but relatively entertaining contest, with Shelton able to withstand and match up to Fale's power game. If Shelton can deliver more at this level in NJPW I won't mind his prescence so much, thing is he rarely does.

3. Hirooki Goto vs Yujiro Takahashi (B-Block)

Once again this match benefited from the excellent Aomori crowd, who were into everything and everyone on this show. The match itself was a solid, but not particularly special back and forth contest, that would have been completely forgettable in front of a dead crowd. As it stands it's still not the most memorable match ever but I did enjoy the match whilst it was happening.

4. Tetsuya Naito vs Lance Archer (B-Block)

Of all the gaijin big men in NJPW, Archer's probably the one I enjoy the most (I'm definitely in the camp that says he has really improved during his tenure in Japan), whilst Naito really excels as an overmatched underdog against monster heels.

Though I didn't have this pegged as one of my most anticipated matches of the tournament, I should have expected that these two could put together a really good David vs Goliath style match, and that's exactly what they did. Given a little more time, and put in a more prominent spot on the card, these two could have a really great match together.

5. Yuji Nagata vs Tomoaki Honma (A-Block)

Honma is basically Ishii from last year, the guy who is the underdog in all his matches, and who are the crowd are rabid to see overcome the odds and pull off the big upset- when that win does come, the roof is going to blast off whichever building it will occur in.

This wasn't as good as Honma's match against Tanahahsi from night one, because Nagata isn't as good as Tanahashi and may just be starting to show his age, but this was still an entertaining match, and though we are going to have ten nights of it, I don't actually see myself or the NJPW fans in attendance getting tired of the Honma match formula.

6. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. (A-Block)

DBS Jr, is fine as a tag guy but I just don't see any potential in him as a singles. Also it might just be me, but I thought he looked a bit chubby in this match. That being said he has proven to have decent chemistry with Shinsuke Nakamura in previous matches together.

This match started off a bit dull, with a drawn out DBS heel control sequence, but once Nakamura got into the match, it actually became really goodand built up to an exciting finishing stretch. Nakamura has such great in ring charisma, that he can really lift any match that he is in, no matter how limited the opponent may be. Oddly enough I find him at his very best, pulling good matches out of mediocre talent, than when he in there with talent you would expect him to have great matches against.

7. Toru Yano vs AJ Styles (B-Block)

I actually really enjoy Toru Yano- I'm just bored of him constantly fighting Minoru Suzuki, whether that is in singles or tags. He's never going to put on a MOTYC, but his babyface that uses heel tactics gimmick (think Lie, Cheat and Steal era Eddie Guerrero), brings something different to the table amongst the hard hitters, flashy athletic guys and monster heels.

This ended up being an entertaining match, with AJ Styles struggling to cope with an opponent, that couldn't be any more different to Okada, in terms of his game plan and approach to wrestling.

8. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Kazuchika Okada (B-Block)

I was firmly in the camp, that Tenzan had no business taking part in another G-1- because he was pretty much awful in last years G-1 and looked broken down and well past his sell by date.

Well that was last year, because Tenzan seems to have found a new lease of life, thus far in this years G-1, as following a surprisingly decent match with Karl Anderson on night one, he follows that up with a really good match against Okada.

Okada rarely has a bad match against anyone , but some credit should go to Tenzan, who continues to look a million times better, than he did compared to last years G-1.

9. Togi Makabe vs Karl Anderson (B-Block)

At this moment in time Makabe's selling basically consists of him holding his jaw a lot! :p

After a consistent run of good matches, this semi main event ended up being really quite disappointing. It wasn't a terrible match, but it was just a bit rushed and mediocre.

Makabe is one of those guys who is capable of having really great matches (his intense brawl with Goto on night 1 is testament to that), but he is also someone who churns out a lot of mediocre contests. Perhaps he put too much effort into the match with Goto, hence the slightly lazy effort here.

10. Hiroshi Tanahahsi vs Doc Gallows (A-Block)

I'm sorry but Gallows brings absolutely nothing to the NJPW table. He's basically doing the same schtik as Lance Archer, only Archer got to NJPW first and does it better. Tanahashi did manage to drag a half decent match out of him here, but when Tanahashi can only drag half decent out of someone, then I'm afraid that wrestler just isn't all that good. I'm convinced now that with a revitalized Tenzan, Gallows is consistently going to have the worst match of the night on virtually all of the shows.

Overall Thoughts

I had low expectations for this show (B Market Card, in a city that isn't Tokyo or Osaka), but this show ended up being surprisingly good from top to bottom (well almost, because the semi main and main were the worst matches on the show).

There were not MOTYC's here (though Ishii vs Kojima was a really good four star level opener), but the show was enjoyable throughout and a big part of that was down to the enthusiastic crowd. Lets hope that the rest of Tohoku, can deliver like Aomori did here, both in terms of the quality of the wrestling and the quality of the crowds.

Of all the gaijin big men in NJPW, Archer's probably the one I enjoy the most (I'm definitely in the camp that says he has really improved during his tenure in Japan), whilst Naito really excels as an overmatched underdog against monster heels.

I agree 100%. Whenever I bring up Lance Archer to my wrestling fan brother, he tends to dismiss him because his work in TNA wasn't that impressive, but I've really enjoyed him in New Japan. He has charisma and everything he does, he does with extra intensity and authority. Definitely a wrestler I want to see more of in a singles capacity.

I actually really enjoy Toru Yano- I'm just bored of him constantly fighting Minoru Suzuki, whether that is in singles or tags. He's never going to put on a MOTYC, but his babyface that uses heel tactics gimmick (think Lie, Cheat and Steal era Eddie Guerrero), brings something different to the table amongst the hard hitters, flashy athletic guys and monster heels.

In a sea of PURORESU wrestlers, Yano has really stood out for me in the G1 so far. He's a very enjoyable wrestler to watch because he just refuses to wrestle properly, plus he pulls the absolute best facial expressions. I don't mind a comedy wrestler in this tournament, it breaks up some of that monotony of seeing Lariats and Brainbusters all event long.

I know Day 4 happened yesterday but I haven't watched that yet. Day 2 and 3 were pretty good though, I can't wait to watch Shibata / Tanahashi tomorrow.

Shibata/Tanahashi was amazing and wasn't even the best match of the show to me.

Ishii/Honma was better to me and Styles/Naito and Nakamura/Nagata were excellent too. Best show of the G1 so far. Shibata and Honma are doing excellent things and stand out a lot at the moment.

I also agree on Yano, dude is flat out entertaining. I could do without exposing the turnbuckle and low blows every match but as long as you don't go in expecting a four star match I think Yano is pretty enjoyable

Thoughts on NJPW G1 Climax 24 Day Three

(Yamagata General Sports Center)

A bit later with this one, because I was busy over the weekend, and have been watching Day 3 and 4 on catchup.

1. Tomoaki Honma vs Doc Gallows (A-Block)

It's a case of diminishing returns for the Tomoaki Honma formula match, but that is to be expected when you go from Hiroshi Tanahashi to Yuji Nagata to Doc Gallows. Look this wasn't at all bad, but Gallows just doesn't get me excited at all.

2. Lance Archer vs Karl Anderson (B-Block)

Second match in the row for the 'Machine Gun' that just been merely OK...but I think as with his match with Makabe from Night two, he got short changed for time (mind you in a 2nd match on the card slot, that's comes as no surprise).

3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Yujiro Takahashi (B-Block)

Tenzan continues to look better than he did last year, but to no one's surprise this was the weakest of his three matches so far, and did 'drag' a bit in places. I don't think Yujiro's as terrible as some people make out, but he's just mediocre and it needs a great opponent to carry him to a good match, sadly those days have long gone for Tenzan.

4. Tomohiro Ishii vs Shelton X Benjamin (A-Block)

Everyone knows by now that Tomohiro Ishii is capable of having some awesome matches, but this was just OK- and rather than Ishii raising Shelton Benjamin to his level, this more a case of Ishii being dragged down to Shelton's.

5. Tetsuya Naito vs Toru Yano (B-Block)

I know in my review for night 2, I view Yano as a babyface these days who has continued to use heel tactics, but there was no doubt that he was the heel here in this match. Naito ended up bleeding hardway early in this match, and it added to the drama. After a relatively mediocre start, this was the first match that really caught my attention. Thus far between this and his match against AJ Styles, Yano is putting on some relatively entertaining midcard contests, that contrast stylistically with the rest of the show.

6. Katsuyori Shibata vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. (A-Block)

I still don't think Davey Boy, has what it takes to break out of being a tag guy but he has proven that when in there with a quality opponent he can be carried to a decent match- and this match with Shibata was pretty good. Unlike the Nakamura match, it didn't drag early on (due to there being no drawn out DBS control segment) and they quickly got into it with an entertaining hard hitting contest, with Shibata trying to use his striking and submission game to overcome Smith's superior power game.

7. Yuji Nagata vs Bad Luck Fale (A-Block)

Good contest between the determined veteran and the dominant monster heel. I will admit I wasn't too keen on Fale's megapush at first, but he continues to improve and he's really starting to grow into his role as a dominant monster. A big reason for that has been the booking of his finisher the Bad Luck Fall, which has been put over as a deadly knockout blow, whenever he has been able to pull it off.

8. Hirooki Goto vs Minoru Suzuki (B-Block)

Difficult to rate this one, because what was there was pretty good, but it got cut extremely short with a flash pin. These two could have had a really good match together, but they weren't given the time to do so.

9. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Satoshi Kojima (A-Block)

After a string of average matches in the undercard, the semi main and main really needed to deliver, to kind of save the show from being a disappointment. No need to fear, as the ever reliable Tanahashi and Kojima combined to put on a superb physically intense match, with Kojima pulling out all of his artillery in an attempt to better Tanahashi.

Tanahashi is generally perceived to be more of a finesse guy, but he's great at absorbing punishment and then dishing it back out in a way that stays true to his wrestling philosophy.

10. Togi Makabe vs Kazuchika Okada (B-Block)

I was probably a little harsh on Makabe's performance in my review of night 2, whilst he can be inconsistent, I think the problems with his match against Anderson were more to do with the fact that the match got too little time, to be anything more than average, rather than with the performances of the competitors themselves....

On to this match, Makabe generally always steps it up when he's put in a position to main event a show, and he had an excellent IWGP Heavyweight Title match with Okada last year. Whilst this didn't quite reach the levels of that match, this was still an excellent contest and along with the Tanahashi/Kojima semi main, gave Day 3 the strong closing it needed.

Overall Thoughts

With the 4th day of the G-1 coming immediately the next day, there perhaps was no surprise that the general standard of the undercard dropped slightly below the first two days. It's not that anything was bad, but overall the undercard was a little underwhelming. The main events however did deliver, and are worth seeking out.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Thoughts on NJPW G1 Climax Day Four- </span></strong></p><p>

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Akita Prefectural Gymnasium</span></strong></p><p>

</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>1. Satoshi Kojima vs Bad Luck Fale (A-Block) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

Really good opening contest, as Kojima valiantly battled against a constant barrage from the dominant monster heel. Kojima always brings his A-Game to the G-1, and Fale continues to look more and more deserving of his push, as New Japan's next big gaijin monster. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>2. Shelton X Benjamin vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. (A-Block) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

Match up's between stable mates are always intriguing, even when the match up isn't the most inspiring on paper. It was amusing to see TAKA Michinoku, try his best to stop either man using standard Suzuki-Gun heel tactics on one another, when he's usually encouraging/helping to instigate such shenanigans.</p><p> </p><p>

This actually ended up being pretty decent and there was a nice exchange of signature submission holds during the closing stretch, though the lack of heat (as expected with a match between two midcard gaijin heels) did hurt it a little. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;"><strong>3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Minoru Suzuki (B-Block)</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

These two had an absolutely dreadful match together in last years tournament, whilst this wasn't exactly what you would call fantastic either and was a bit plodding in places, it was considerably better than last years effort. Tenzan hasn't suddenly become super good again, but he's putting in performances that are decent enough to prove the naysayers wrong (myself included) and show that he still deserves a spot in the G-1. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;"><strong>4. Hirooki Goto vs Toru Yano (B-Block)</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

A hard one to rate, because it was a super quick match that looked as though it was going to be a one sided squash, until a flash pinfall finish cut the match extremely short. That's two matches in a row featuring Goto that have been decided on sudden flash pins. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>5. Tomoaki Honma vs Tomohiro Ishii (A-Block) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

Ishii finds himself in the rare position as the favourite, as he faced off with himself from last year- Well actually he was up against Tomoaki Honma, but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at here. </p><p> </p><p>

This was the ultra intense, ultra stiff match everyone would have expected it to be, and if brutally stiff strikes and fighting spirit, are what you look for in your puroresu fix, then this match will be right up your alley. </p><p> </p><p>

There was a point in the match, where Ishii kind of botches a power bomb attempt, but they managed to work round it, and it was one of those occasions where the 'botch' added to the drama and story of the match. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;"><strong>6. Togi Makabe vs Lance Archer (B-Block) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

The basic story of the match saw the dogged babyface Makabe, try to stand up to the power of the monster heel in Archer. Overall whilst nothing special, this was a solid brawling contest, lifted a little bit more by a creative finish that saw one of the wrestlers sucker their opponent in by playing possum. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>7. Yuji Nagata vs Shinsuke Nakamura (A-Block) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

This was a really good hard hitting puroresu contest, with some excellent character work from both guys to really lift the match further. Nakamura played it slightly heelish here, treating the veteran Nagata as though, he was past it and no longer belonged on his level- which lit a fire in the grumpy old man- which in the end forced Nakamura to take Nagata seriously and bring his A-Game to the fight. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;"><strong>8. Tetsuya Naito vs AJ Styles (B-Block) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

This was a fantastic match and featured Styles best 'heel' work thus far, with him making a point to go after the cut Naito suffered in his match with Yano from the previous night. </p><p> </p><p>

Both wrestlers have a similar style of wrestling, with both being athletic high flyers, but the main thing is that they remembered to tell a compelling story, between all that.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#0000FF;"><strong>9. Kazuchika Okada vs Karl Anderson (B-Block) </strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

This was basically a slightly more condensed version, of the matches these two have had together in the past, which basically translates to this match being really good, but not having enough time to match up to, let alone surpass their previous efforts. That being said the finishing sequence, that featured multiple counters of each others finisher was absolutely fantastic. </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>10. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Katsuyori Shibata (A-Block)</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

These two legit don't like one another, so with that in mind there was the danger that all the intense dislike they have for one another, could have been channeled the wrong way and lead to a mess of a match. </p><p> </p><p>

Nothing to be feared on that account, as they delivered a fantastic main event, full of the intensity one would have expected. The story here was that both wrestlers, were determined to beat the other with their style of wrestling (Tanahashi's finesse vs Shibata's striking). </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>Overall Thoughts</strong></span></p><p> </p><p>

Just like last year Day 4 delivered. This featured three great matches in Ishii/Honma, Styles/Naito (underrated elsewhere IMO) and Shibata/Tanahashi, whilst everything else ranged from solid to good.</p><p> </p><p>

It surely comes as no coincidence that the best show of this year's G-1 (thus far) featured simultaneous rest days for two of it's weakest <em>(in terms of match quality)</em> entrants in Gallows and Yujiro.</p>

Thoughts on NJPW G1 Climax 24 Day Five

(Sendai Sunplaza Hall)

1. Tomohiro Ishii vs Doc Gallows (A-Block)

Though he's no longer the total 'underdog' that he was a year ago, Ishii is still really good in that role, especially when he gives up a lot of size to monster heels such as Gallows. This was an entertaining match with the determined Ishii trying to take down the monster.

I'm still not at all sold on Gallows, but this was his best match yet in NJPW (yet alone the G-1)and though most of the heavy lifting was done by Ishii, he did play his part pretty well here.

2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Lance Archer (B-Block)

Both of these two have had pretty decent tournaments thus far (Tenzan surprisingly so, given how bad he was last year), but whilst this match wasn't bad, it was just mediocre and forgettable. Quite simply this was a match where you had two carriable talents put in the same match, and neither one able to carry the other beyond something other than average.

3. Satoshi Kojima vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. (A-Block)

I know I've been critical of DBS Jr. in previous reviews, but he's actually a decent in-ring talent, who can combine Power moves with some technical prowess. The reason I don't see him as anything more than a midcard tag guy, is not his wrestling ability, but the other stuff around it, such as charisma (his heel mannerisms always seem forced to me)......

The point I'm getting to here, is that he actually had another decent match here in the G-1, with a fine back and forth battle with the consistent veteran Kojima. Though he's often in there with talent that came carry him to good matches, DBS is good enough to hang with them.

4. Minoru Suzuki vs Yujiro Takahashi (B-Block)

Yujiro hasn't exactly been doing anything to change people's perception of him as one of NJPWs weaker in-ring performers in this G-1, whilst Suzuki hasn't exactly been bringing his A-Game either (though much of that is down to him no longer being booked as a top level threat, I think 2014 has definitely been the year where Suzuki has been de-pushed to the midcard).

So if you were expecting this match to be average and fairly forgettable, then that's exactly what this match ended up being. Just like

Tenzan/Archer earlier this wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that good either.

5. Toru Yano vs Karl Anderson (B-Block)

This one might well take the crown as funniest match of the G-1. Karl Anderson was superb as an asshole heel , as he mocked Yano's signature gestures/taunts throughout the match. This was just two wrestlers, trying to out-dick one another and it was absolutely fantastic. Not the best match of the G-1, but probably my favourite thus far, as it was just so damn entertaining for what it was.

6. Katsuyori Shibata vs Shelton X Benjamin (A-Block)

In the New Japan Cup earlier this year Shelton X Benjamin, got a shock win over Katsuyori Shibata, in an average match, where no one was ready to buy into his shock win, simply because Shelty B hadn't had anything resembling a sustained push since coming to New Japan.

The format of this match, was similar to their New Japan one with Shelton dominating the early going , before Shibata came back into the match- however this match benefitted from both competitors making a strong start to the tournament, and Shibata obviously looking to avenge his loss to Shelton earlier in the year. Overall this was decent stuff, but a lot of that was down to the booking surrounding the match.

7. Hirooki Goto vs AJ Styles (B-Block)

This one worked to the slow-build formula, starting off relatively low key with both guys trying to control the other with mat-wrestling, before gradually building in intensity towards a hot finish. Whilst I wouldn't say that the match was special, it was still very good (if I was going to hand out snowflakes, I would say that this was a low end four star match).

Whilst I still think putting the belt on AJ was a mistake (booking that Gedo and Jado were determined to see through), there has never been any doubt over Styles in-ring ability- and he's proving that right here with consistently good matches in the G-1.

8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bad Luck Fale (A-Block)

Tanahashi got to default back to being the heroic babyface in this match, as the crowd urged him on to try and take down the unstoppable monster. They worked the formula very well here, and whilst it could be said that Tanahashi carried Fale to a good match here, Fale has already proven that he has beginning to grow into an effective monster heel- so it did not come as too much as a surprise that this turned out to be pretty decent.

9. Tomoaki Honma vs Shinsuke Nakamura (A-Block)

Another brave performance, from Honma as he once again tries to prove that he can hang with the big guns of NJPW. As always with Honma's matches, this was packed full of fighting spirit and had the fans in a frenzy during the closing stretch. Whilst I was disappointed to see Kota Ibushi pull out of this years G-1, Honma has proven himself to be a more than worthy replacement.

10. Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada (B-Block)

After his de-push for much of this year, following his failed main event push (that started with last year's G-1 climax victory), New Japan appear to be rebuilding him as a threat in this years G-1, so even if he does not repeat what would be an unlikely victory as G-1 champion, I think he is in line for a decent push during the second half of the year.

Despite being de-pushed for much of the year, Naito's in-ring work has been consistently good and he looks to be back to his best, and given that Okada has grown into one of the very best workers in the wrestling business, yet alone NJPW itself, this main event had a lot of promise to be something great.

Whilst I wouldnt say it was worthy of full boat praise, this did end up being an excellent main event and closed out what was a consistently good show with a suitably strong end.

Overall Thoughts

The Tohoku leg of the G-1, ends with another consistently strong show. Whilst I don't think we've had anything yet that has quite matched up to the very best matches from last year's G-1, the shows themselves from top to bottom, have been consistently better.

Many felt that last years G-1 couldn't be bettered, but I honestly feel this years tournament is on track to do just that.

Thoughts on NJPW G1 Climax 24 Day Six

(Act City Hanamatsu )

1. Bad Luck Fale vs Doc Gallows (A-Block)

Surely this was the match, that everyone had ear-marked as a must see match and a sure fire lock for Match Of The Year, when then fixtures for the G-1 came out? :rolleyes:

This was pretty much the plodding hoss fight you would have expected it to be, but to be fair wasn't actually as bad as it could have been.

2. Yuji Nagata vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. (A-Block)

This was passable. As I've said before DBS Jr. is a capable wrestler but sometimes I just can't get invested in him as a performer and often his heel control segments can be a bit, to put it bluntly- kind of boring. Crowd who have been pretty dead so far didn't help, but the prospect of the first two matches featuring three gaijin heels was hardly going to get them on their edge of their seats.

3. Yujiro Takahashi vs Togi Makabe (B-Block)

I'm afraid to say that Day Six did not get off to a particularly good start, as this was another flat match (just as the match before this was passable but not great and suffered a bit from a crowd that still hadn't woken up yet). Yujiro continues to show that he's as mediocre as they come as a wrestler, and we got midcard Makabe here, rather than motivated main event Makabe.

4. Satoshi Kojima vs Katsuyori Shibata (A-Block)

After a flat opening three matches, Day Six finally came to life with this very good match between the ever reliable Kojima and Shibata. I always like it in matches, when the competitors have their opponents move-set well scouted, and they built the story of the match around that formula here. The foundation's they set for the match, lead to a hot closing stretch and a brutal (in a good way) finish.

5. Hirooki Goto vs Karl Anderson (B-Block)

The recovery continues with another good match- this was solid stuff all the way with a hot finish. Only problem is that due to the records of the two competitors going into the match, and Jado and Gedo's fondness for parity booking during tournaments, it was pretty obvious to me who was going to be picking up the win here.

6. Minoru Suzuki vs Lance Archer (B-Block)

Really engaging match, that showed that you don't need intense strike battles or head-drop finishing exchanges to have a match packed full of drama and intensity. The story here was that though they are both in the same stable, neither guy was going to hold back in order to better their position in the tournament. The intriguing clash of styles saw Archer try to use his height and power to overcome the veteran savvy and technical expertise of Minoru Suzuki, who used a a variety of submissions throughout to try and wear down the big man.

7. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Shelton X Benjamin (A-Block)

These two fought over the Intercontinental belt a few times last year, and that played into Shelton's aggressiveness right out of the gate, as Nakamura ultimately won that feud. This was the best I've seen Benjamin embrace the fact that he's supposed to be an aggressive dick heel and this certainly ended up being one of his better matches in New Japan.

8. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs AJ Styles (B-Block)

This was similar to the matches AJ Styles would have against past their best legends in TNA (such as Sting)....only better. Not only has Styles become a more well rounded performer over the past year), Tenzan really has looked revitalized during this years G-1 (the format with the days off, clearly doing him a world of good).

This ended up being pretty awesome, as Styles worked to Tenzan's pace but still managed to drag a great match out of him, that really engaged the crowd.

9. Kazuchika Okada vs Toru Yano (B-Block)

Another entertaining Yano match during this tournament, as he did not hold back from delving into his box of dirty tricks in order to try and topple Okada (despite being in the same stable together). The theme throughout this show, which has had several matches matching up stable mates against one another, is that all that goes out of the window when it comes to the G-1.

10. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomohiro Ishii (A-Block)

The main event saw a re-match from last years tournament, that saw Ishii (the biggest underdog in last years tournament) overcome Tanahashi in a huge upset and a MOTYC.

Whilst this sequel didn't necessarily better last years match, it came pretty damn close- as Ishii once again took Tanahashi right to the limit. Whilst the crowd weren't necessarily the most rabid of crowds all night, they were well and truly alive for the main event.

Overall Thoughts

After the first three matches, this show looked on course to being this years dud event of the G-1, but it picked it up after that concluded with a sequel worthy of following last years MOTYC between Tanahashi and Ishii. Because of the iffy start, I probably would still have this down as the weakest show of this years G-1 thus far, but it still ended up being another good show.

Nobody asked me, but...

With a name like Doc Gallows, shouldn't he still have a western cowboy gimmick, not a painted faced weirdo gimmick? It just looks wrong.

Lance Archer has improved alot in NJPW, but I literally still can't stop staring at his tramp stamp.

Toru Yano continues to break the rules in every way. Even as a young lion he often got himself DQ'ed so he didn't have to take a fall. He also has antics. NJPW could use a couple more wrestlers with antics.

For some wrestlers in my games I adjust the Consistency and Intensity to reflect most of the time they might be a little inconsistent and not always fully committed to the match, but when it's a main event they are always super charged up. Maybe that could be added for the next TEW.

DBS is a great example of a low star power wrestler.

I've seen the first three days. Digging it. Really getting a kick out of Honma, who I'd never seen before this tournament.

I hate Gallows' look. The gear. The paint. The fact he's wrestling like a monster, but he's not all that big. Not broad in the chest. Shelton X Benjamin looked so much more powerful in their match, and they were doing David vs Goliath spots.

So far, enjoying Homna, Yano, Archer and Styles.

Not enjoying Davey Boy Jr, Anderson or Kojima quite so much.

May crack on with Day Four tonight.

Honma/Ishii was absolutely incredible, an easy ****1/2 match IMO. I very much enjoyed Styles/Naito and Tanahashi/Shibata too, especially given the backstory the latter match has had over the years.

Yeah. Just made it to Honma/Ishii. Awesome. Honma's my favourite wrestler on the planet right now.