USPW Discussion Thread

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, unless he gets to huge overness which I have never seen, Strong will resign and he has never left them in any of my games.

It happened in my ASCW game, actually. Nicky was their world champ then left them in the lurch and wound up sitting unemployed for some time until USPW bounced up to National, by which time Strong had retired.

• 3 months later...
So... all this time in, who are your usual suspects in terms of signings when starting a new USPW game? What sort of roles do you slot them into and do you go right toward gutting guys like Giant Redwood & Peter Valentine?

Depends if youre trying to do well or to keep USPW character going. For me the latter is far more intersting so I tend to avoid people like Champagne Lover, Jimmy P, etc

USPW

Dirty White Boys

Painful Procedure

Fox Mask (as an underdog face)

Hell Monkey

Danny Patterson

Madman Boone (when he ever comes back)

Gargantuan and Primus Allen if theyre available

I like to team Redwood with the Hillbillies and try to get them over with menace. Put them in a program with someone half decent (Caulfield, Justice, Nicky) and you can get some good ratings. Underdog hero takes on huge, hulking bad guys and wins by guile and guts never gets old in USPW.

Valentine can hold a decent midcard feud with someone or just be used to beat low-level guys you want to build up. he's not going to hit C+ grades but USPW isnt about fast growth. I put him in dev for 5-6 months in my current game and he actually got really good.

Depends if youre trying to do well or to keep USPW character going. For me the latter is far more intersting so I tend to avoid people like Champagne Lover, Jimmy P, etc

USPW

Dirty White Boys

Painful Procedure

Fox Mask (as an underdog face)

Hell Monkey

Danny Patterson

Madman Boone (when he ever comes back)

Gargantuan and Primus Allen if theyre available

I like to team Redwood with the Hillbillies and try to get them over with menace. Put them in a program with someone half decent (Caulfield, Justice, Nicky) and you can get some good ratings. Underdog hero takes on huge, hulking bad guys and wins by guile and guts never gets old in USPW.

Valentine can hold a decent midcard feud with someone or just be used to beat low-level guys you want to build up. he's not going to hit C+ grades but USPW isnt about fast growth. I put him in dev for 5-6 months in my current game and he actually got really good.

Thanks for this. I usually try to avoid guys like Greg Gauge, Matthew Keith, DWN, etc. lately. I hear you on Champagne Lover, but he's got the charisma and I've used him in a couple of USPW games recently working a cheesy gimmick. I packaged him as "Luscious" Larry Lawrence who is a heel Mexican pretending (badly, on purpose) to be an American moviestar. :)

Thanks for the tag team suggestions. I'll keep away from the Fly Boys in my next save and go for some more of these types.

So... all this time in, who are your usual suspects in terms of signings when starting a new USPW game? What sort of roles do you slot them into and do you go right toward gutting guys like Giant Redwood & Peter Valentine?

The Gauge Brothers (Yeah I know dont fit the USPW feel) Normaly I give the a Patriot Gimmic and Have Strong manage them.

The Big Problem

Travis Centry

If I start a developmental company, I always get Jebediah (sometimes repackaged as Jeb the Hillbilly), Island Boy Apollo and Ant-Man. Also, The Good Ol' Boys (Thimbleby Langton & Wooten Fitzpaine) seem like a good tag team for a USPW style product, but I don't always bring them in.

Captain USA - "Born in the USA" by The Boss

OK, I know this post was from March, and you've likely got all the music you need, but thought I'd offer some comments.

"Born in the USA" is very much not a rah-rah Go America kind of song if you listen to the lyrics beyond the chorus. Bill Watts made the same mistake when he used it as such, and it worked for his purposes...but I'd go with something more like Charlie Daniels "In America".

Other tunes I'd use...

"Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth

"Dirty Deeds" by AC/DC

"Hells Bells" by AC/DC

"Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin (Bruiser Brody used this in Japan)

"Tom Sawyer" by Rush (Kerry Von Erich used this one)

"Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen (Junkyard Dog in Mid South)

"Iron Man" by Black Sabbath (Road Warriors)

I think there's something to be said for bringing in the DWN/Fly Boys types that does have to do with keeping the USPW "feel": Given what USPW is going for, the one thing they don't have but should is that Rockers/Fantastics-esque babyface tag team that the girls go crazy for and the bad guys beat up. (Also for the sake of balance: The only full-time face teams in USPW at the start are the Hillbillies and, of all people, Savage Fury.)

I was thinking of solving this by turning Devine face and finding him a partner. Jett's the obvious choice (prior history; gettable), but any of "those guys" could work.

I think there's something to be said for bringing in the DWN/Fly Boys types that does have to do with keeping the USPW "feel": Given what USPW is going for, the one thing they don't have but should is that Rockers/Fantastics-esque babyface tag team that the girls go crazy for and the bad guys beat up. (Also for the sake of balance: The only full-time face teams in USPW at the start are the Hillbillies and, of all people, Savage Fury.)

I was thinking of solving this by turning Devine face and finding him a partner. Jett's the obvious choice (prior history; gettable), but any of "those guys" could work.

Right on, good point re: Fly Boys. I was just meaning I feel like I've used those guys to death and am looking for ways to freshen up USPW for me.

In my last save I teamed up Devine and Andre Jones and made them a sort of Miz & R-Truth sort of team, complaining about conspiracies keeping them down. Gives me a reason to put them in segs with Sam Strong right from the start.

If I start a developmental company, I always get Jebediah (sometimes repackaged as Jeb the Hillbilly), Island Boy Apollo and Ant-Man. Also, The Good Ol' Boys (Thimbleby Langton & Wooten Fitzpaine) seem like a good tag team for a USPW style product, but I don't always bring them in.

I somehow missed his one, thanks. Will certainly try to work these kind of guys in. I used to have a fondness for a Grimm Quibble/Chuck Frisby tag team, but I've soured on Frisby in recent saves. Maybe I'll add Quibble to the mix if I can.

I want to get an extension to two hours for the television show or find a network that will grant me one. Thoughts?

Also, who would be a good young heel rock-star wrestler to place within a debuting Painful Procedure? I'm thinking Darryl Devine, but there might be guys outside the company that you could recommend...

I want to get an extension to two hours for the television show or find a network that will grant me one. Thoughts?

Also, who would be a good young heel rock-star wrestler to place within a debuting Painful Procedure? I'm thinking Darryl Devine, but there might be guys outside the company that you could recommend...

I'm gonna assume you're Cult sized... in which case, an hour and a half is basically the most any network will give you. If you want two hour TV shows, then get to National.

Stan The Man Manna.

What's the best way to book T-Rex, Giant Redwood and other menace-heavy, stamina-low guys in matches?

Well, T-Rex I think can work at least 10 minute matches without too much penaltry, so long as you don't try to make him go all out, and with a little luck his stamina isn't too far from the point of hm being able to go 16 minutes (which is USPW's default expected main event length). At that point (think around a high D it starts becoming a pretty meager penalty), no reason to hold back booking T-Rex in the big matches.

As for Redwood... yeah, 6 minutes is all you'll get from him in single matches. Can probably bump up to ten in tag team matches (may have to use a protect note on him). Obviously, even at his age he may be able to gain some stamina and work his way up to not having a penalty.

And heck, maybe they're up against an opponent like James Justice... in which case, maybe it's for the best to push them beyond their limits to reach the expected match length.

Oh, and of course some of their short matches may be squashes. Quick squash to hide their lack of stamina AND get oodles of free overness? Not a bad deal.

What's the best way to book T-Rex, Giant Redwood and other menace-heavy, stamina-low guys in matches?

Squash, squash, squash, and then slow build RA note with multi man match ups on your main events.

Slow building matches works really well when you've got a guy with a lack of stamina, just have to watch for low psych guys and make sure at least one of them in slow built matches of 17+ minutes has C+ or better psychology and basics.

Squash, squash, squash, and then slow build RA note with multi man match ups on your main events.

Slow building matches works really well when you've got a guy with a lack of stamina, just have to watch for low psych guys and make sure at least one of them in slow built matches of 17+ minutes has C+ or better psychology and basics.

Thanks. Now anyone feel like giving me a basics on how to get above the fifties with USPW? :(

Be careful with squash matches, though. You don't want the guys to become too over that they won't re-sign with you, but you also want them to be over to make up for the fact that they are terrible in the ring. It's one of the ironies of USPW that I can't get over.

If you're going to push someone, make sure they are far out from re-signing.

Thanks. Now anyone feel like giving me a basics on how to get above the fifties with USPW? :(

Leech the overness off your monsters as soon as they get over (repeat earlier formula for building them back up).

Through that method the likes of Devine, Jones, Champion etc who are good in the ring get the overness required to put on good matches against the likes of Caulfield and Justice that the fans are in to.

Oh and absolutely milk Strong's overness getting them over too.

Archived