Wrestling!

JTandSilentBob

Not bad. Not sure what you made the ring out of, but I sure wouldn't take half the bumps on it that you did. First thing that jumped out at me was your kicks. Both of you. They looked weak. The victim really has to sell the impact to make it look good.

Also, wasn't entirely sure who was babyface. I think the unmasked guy. I watched without commentary, and skipped the entrances, so might have missed something there.

Not bad. Not sure what you made the ring out of, but I sure wouldn't take half the bumps on it that you did. First thing that jumped out at me was your kicks. Both of you. They looked weak. The victim really has to sell the impact to make it look good.

Also, wasn't entirely sure who was babyface. I think the unmasked guy. I watched without commentary, and skipped the entrances, so might have missed something there.

I didn't make the ring but the guy with the mask did. It's wooden pallets with a thin layer of plywood over the top and some type of padding. Not as bad as you'd think. I wake up sore but I'm not in any kind of pain.

I was supposed to be the babyface. But "The Robber" didn't really do anything heelish. And in retrospect I shouldn't have sleeperholded him. And yeah my kicks were absolutely terrible.

TBH you're probably better off without the commentary. It's just bad.

Also if you want to distinguish between face & heel make sure you both don't wear black. You should have worn white or another bright colour.

The referee also needs to "sell" the moves, like use facial expressions to make it look like it literally hurt. The referee also needs to count you out when in the corner!

Also you finished the match with a mic check which usually targets the face. You should have been working the face all the way through the match.

Sorry for getting all reporter like but I do hope you get somewhere as you don't see a lot of backyard wrestling anymore.

Also if you want to distinguish between face & heel make sure you both don't wear black. You should have worn white or another bright colour.

The referee also needs to "sell" the moves, like use facial expressions to make it look like it literally hurt. The referee also needs to count you out when in the corner!

Also you finished the match with a mic check which usually targets the face. You should have been working the face all the way through the match.

Sorry for getting all reporter like but I do hope you get somewhere as you don't see a lot of backyard wrestling anymore.

I appreciate all the feedback. I'd really like to go farther than just wrestling in a backyard. The Briscoe Brothers are going to be training some guys at 1CW in DE. I plan on paying for that. I hope they can help me a lot.

Aye. The sleeperhold was the bit that confused me. :)

Definitely get proper training, if it's a viable option for you. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks now (mostly for fun & fitness, I'm no spring chicken) and there's no way I'd do half of this stuff without being taught how to do it safely. Plus you get all these little pointers thrown in. Small things that just make it look better.

The first thing I noticed, even before The Robber confirmed it by having to physically slow himself down out of an Irish Whip, was that the ring ropes really REALLY need to be tighter. I know it's not a "real" ring, so it's probably not possible, but holy hell man, those things look lethal. :p I'd suggest, if you can't resolve the looseness, working around it by trying to cut down on the amount of stuff you do that intentionally involves ropes. I think the main reason I noticed it was that it was the very first thing that happened. And later on , The Robber uses the ropes to pull himself up, and the top rope basically was touching the bottom rope. ¬_¬ The turnbuckles seem pretty sturdy though, when they're not falling off. :p

Overall, better than I thought it'd be to be fair, but lots of work to do all around. Good luck to you though matey. :)

Oh, and the announcer was quite good in parts. He'd probably be better as a colour guy though (the lullaby, in particular, was quite funny). But most of the time he just seemed to be as clueless as the rest of us as to what was going on, and kept shouting "Oh!" whenever anything important happened. Not to mention apparently this was your "in-ring debut" but in the next sentence you "went toe-to-toe with Shawn Ravage at Backyard Rumble 4". So I'm guessing you were either in a 'who has the biggest toe' contest, or you didn't have a ring for Backyard Rumble 4. ¬_¬

I like the announcer...

"...And shoves him down like trash!!!!"

:D

Good match.

:)

I don't know I'd go as far as liking the announcer guy. But if he could smooth out his delivery he could be alright. Some of the phrases he used were pretty good. Notch another vote for "and shoves him down like trash". Still, when you have to improve to become Lee Bambino, something's definitely wrong in that department.

Liked The Robber's look. And I'm not even going to attach a "considering you guys are backyarders" to that sentence. That's probably pretty accurate burglar attire. Much more so that professional looking attire might be. But two things come to mind with him.

1: He could probably use a different finisher to use when facing someone as big as you. That "Wasteland" looked really awkward because of your girth.

2: If he's going to keep using that, he should really call it something other than a "Wasteland". (Well, unless you want to take him Western and make him The Cattle Rustler. :) ) But yeah a more robber themed name for the move would probably help solidify his gimmick.

And I agree with Brother Effect's suggestion you should wear something else if you're going to be facing a heel in black. White would be the classic choice because of the western connotations. But anything brighter could work. Actually, were those clothes reversible? Having things be white where they were black and black where they were white could be a pretty simple but cool alteration in look if they were.

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Seen the entire first match, skimmed the second one.</p><p> </p><p>

This is what I would like to see. First off, your not a small guy in comparison (even in the tag match). I'd like to see you NOT sell so great. In my opinion, you sold better then everyone else. The important thing is, is that it was very believable.</p><p> </p><p>

It's obvious some of these other guys been doing it longer, but that shouldn't take away from the show. For example, the "Robber" looked to be really small compared to you, and so the match should have gone a completely different way, with him only able to actually hurt you by cheating (he was the heel, anyways). You made him look like he had super powers or something. Those little kicks shouldn't hurt you, those little smacks should just irritate you, etc. </p><p> </p><p>

I know people go on and on about selling good, in forums like this especially. But there is a reason someone like Cena might act like Mysterior's kick didn't hurt (although bad example, as Rey has some irritating looking kicks, and they look like they hurt). I'm talking strictly from the almost non-chalant kick to the gut... shouldn't make you curl up in the corner.</p><p> </p><p>

Meaning... size matters. They shouldn't win with a striking game with you, but they can always appear to be more technical then you, and beat you that way. Perhaps have them faster, or do the HBK vs. John Cena thing, if they must outstrike you (You swing slower, and give them time to duck and dodge believably). I'm not saying you should lose either, just saying that to make a good match, the opponants have to appear more evenly matched... and size is your strongpoint right now so I would definately try and have you utilize that advantage (and make the other guys sell better then you).</p><p> </p><p>

Far as the other things... you will learn them with practice.</p>

Archived