London 2012 Olympics Discussion

Psycho Sam

Being English this is such a big deal to me, as well as the rest of the world I hope. I don't get moved emotionally by many things but I am almost welling up from the pride I feel for "my little island".

Sorry I will go back to being unemotional and evil now xD

Looking forward to the road race today, Cavendish sounds ready to dominate. Lets hope its a good race, roll on 10am.

The race is going through the streets where I live and right past my place of work in Leatherhead, Surrey.

That opening ceremony slipped between weird and fantastic at such a regular pace it was difficult to gauge. It was funny seeing Voldemort job to an army of Mary Poppins. :p

Watched the majority of it, was definitely different, shame I fell asleep before Paul McCartney came on, was looking forward to that.

Aww, you missed him **** up his own 44-year-old song. :p You'd really think, since he wrote the music, lyrics, sings and plays piano on it, he'd know how "Hey Jude" goes by now. ¬_¬

Overall though, I thought it was an amazing opening ceremony. AND we got North Korea's flag right.

Nice opening ceremony. Missed it last time... never again. :cool:

Watched cycling and judo today because of Belgian participation. It was a nice race. That's what you get when you're not communicating through those f'n earpieces. :) Cavendish basically insulted everyone else for not helping catching the breakaway, but to be quite fair: every other country except for Germany was actually in it so yeah... Overhyped, and he paid the price. Too bad for him as he'll never get a chance at an Olympic medal ever again, unless he somehow converts to track (good luck with that in a country that owns in track). Judo was quite boring, but it earned us a medal so there you go. :p

For those who haven't seen it yet:

Funny or Die: Olympic-trials-with-kurt-angle

Lol. That was probably made after he realised what a crazy idea it was. :p

Glad that it finally worked out for Marianne Vos, as she was getting so many 2nds it wasn't funny anymore. Well, at least you guys have someone who can just basically go to London to pick up her medal, just like Bolt, Phelps, Yoshida, etc. There's always those people bookies just don't want to accept bets for. :D

I was watching some beach volleyball just now that can be very exciting to watch, or it can be boring as hell. But that's any game. I can watch just about anything in the Olympics because the stakes are inherently so high just because it's the Olympics.

Olympic boxing is a joke though, that dumb crap that went down yesterday is the kind stuff that when coupled with the recent Manny decision are going to really hurt that sport.

Ehh you can boil anything down enough so that it seems stupid. Stanhope is a funny comic. His whole act is to take something we all revere and tear it down in front of our eyes. He reminds me of Carlin in the sense that when I watch or hear him I think, "God damn he's brilliant, but I'd hate to live life through those eyes". In short, he's funny here but he's just joking. The olympics have simple sporting events but thats because they're testing pure athleticism. The whole point of the Games is to bring the world together and compete to honor the greatest pure athletes in the world. In that, I think they do a great job :-)

So don't go agreeing with Stanhope too much. If he wasn't brilliantly talented he would just come off like a grumpy jerk who finds no joy in life.

Wasn't even very good standup tbh. :p

And apparently Michael Phelps was genetically engineered to come fourth. Who knew?

Besides which, if athletics are so embarrassingly caveman-like to him, why do his fellow countrymen keep winning them?

Archived