~ The Golden Age: 1987 Official Release ~

"The Golden Age"

Version 1.1

Start Date: March 1, 1987

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/TGA.jpg

* Another massive thank you has to go to the pic cutters, in particular Togg, MJStark and a Rock return mega pop for Michgcs on this one, the guy worked just as hard if not harder then myself to get this done.

Data: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ygouqn

People Pic Pack: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zguyqk

Or... Same Pick Pack From TGA for TEW '10, available here http://www.ewwarehouse.info/category/tew-10-mods/

Belts, Events, Logos, Networks Etc. Pic Pack: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3a2b3z

Or... Same Pick Pack From TGA for TEW '10, available here http://www.ewwarehouse.info/category/tew-10-mods/

Promotions: 25 Active (56 to Debut)

Workers: 1,292 Active (1,268 to Debut)

Teams: 276

Locations: 2,410

Alter Egos: 174

Dojos: 47

Dojo Graduates: 565

Promotion Pacts: 41

Start Injuries: 13

Storylines: 152

Angles: 1,982

Titles: 234

Title Lineages: 3,846

TV Networks: 123

PPV Carriers: 42

User Characters: 18

Agers: 1,219

Chemistry: 22

Eras: 5

Narratives: 194 (You read that right, majority don't have an effect on the game but are there purely for immersion)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Notes & Stuff

* The second day releases of a few workers are unavoidable. I left them on the rosters so if you decide to play as either of those promotions you will have them on your starting roster.

* A number of contracts were deleted from WWF, the reason was either the worker wasn't working consistently enough to warrant an add or weren't important enough overall in consideration of the roster positions. In some cases workers were changed to Occasional Workers also...

* For players who want to add those guys contracts anyway the list is as follows... (Please note doing this will throw the starting roster positions a little out of whack) WWF: Ron Bass, Brady Boone, Dusty Wolfe, Nick Kiniski, Terry Gibbs.

* Important: If you don't want what is in most cases the forced closure of certain promotions please check the Narratives in the editor (don't go snooping too much you'll ruin some nice suprises :p ). The first 8 Narratives are marked with an asterix * so if you're playing as any of the promotions listed with an * before it and don't want them to suffer the effects delete the Narrative.

* Please report any typos, errors, odd things etc for future update fixes.

* Two updated pics for Version1.1 to be placed in "People" Folder below (Thanks to justtxyank!)...

http://i.imgur.com/ZSsvH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Aj0TV.jpg

* Big thanks to those providing feedback, a bunch of suggested workers have been added but not all. I'm sorry I will try to get them in for next update especially those batch of "Yet To Debut" guys for long term games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Story So Far...

North America

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/USA.pnghttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/Canada.png

The 1980s represented professional wrestling's greatest period of televised entertainment, reaching widespread popularity among American youth, as well as producing some of its most spectacular characters. In comparison to the declining support of media outlets during the 1960s and 1970s, pro wrestling, notably the emerging World Wrestling Federation, received great exposure through its reappearance on network television. The WWF expanded nationally through the acquisition of talent from competing promotions and, because it was the only company to air televised wrestling nationally, became synonymous with the industry, monopolizing the industry and the fanbase. The WWF's owner Vince McMahon revolutionized the sport by coining the term "sports entertainment" to describe his on-screen product, admitting to its fakery as well as enhancing its appeal to children.

The WWF became the most colorful and well-known wrestling brand to children because of its child-oriented characters. Its wrestling product was unreal and noticeably fake, characterized by soap opera dramaticism and cartoon-like personas. Most notable was the muscular Hulk Hogan, who marked the 1980s with his "all-American" persona. His sheer size, colorful character, and extravagance made his main events into excellent ratings draws. By January 1984, Hogan's legions of fans and his dominant role in the industry was termed "Hulkamania." Hogan sold out arenas all across the United States and earned the WWF millions of dollars, making it the number one entity in all of professional wrestling; moments after Hogan defeated the Iron Sheik for the WWF Title, Gorilla Monsoon famously proclaimed "Hulkamania is here."

The "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection" was a period of cooperation and cross-promotion between the WWF and elements of the music industry. The WWF attracting a degree of mainstream attention with Cyndi Lauper joining in 1984 and WWF personalities appeared in her music videos. Hogan gained mainstream popularity for appearing in the film Rocky III, reaching to an even greater level of celebrity. In 1985, Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling, an animated television series starring the character of Hogan, expanded Hogan's young fanbase.

Meanwhile, the NWA's renowned and highly successful territory system was slowly dying, with Jim Crockett Promotions (JCP) becoming the center of the entire NWA. While the WWF had their major stars at almost all of their shows, the NWA could only manage to have a few of its stars at one show at a time, so as to promote the product in every territory. After the WWF gained huge dominance with Wrestlemania, Crockett responded to the success of the WWF and successfully acquired timeslots on TBS, and would continue to buy out NWA promotions between 1985 and 1987 as well. The advent of nationwide television also weakened the system. Wrestlers could no longer travel to a new market and establish a new persona, since fans there already knew who they were. Meanwhile, McMahon took advantage of this phenomenon by purchasing promotions all over the continent, in order to produce a widely popular nationwide television program and make the WWF the only viewing choice.

To counter the NWA's primary supercard, Starrcade, the WWF created its flagship show, WrestleMania, available on 135 closed-circuit networks. The show was a huge success with Hogan, who won in the main event, going on to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated. After the swimsuit issue, it was the magazine's best seller, and following WrestleMania, four WWF programs were among the ten most watched shows on cable television. Professional wrestling began to become mainstream, thanks, in large part, to the appeal of Hulkamania among children. Large television networks also took wrestling into their weekly programming, including Saturday Night's Main Event, premiering on NBC in 1985, the first wrestling show to air primetime since 1955. ESPN also began airing professional wrestling for the first time, first airing Pro Wrestling USA shows—which were created as an alliance between the NWA and AWA in 1984, in an effort to counter the national success the WWF was gaining—and later AWA shows, after Pro Wrestling USA fell apart by 1986.

With the territory system now seemingly in tatters and an environment that grows more hostile by the day, there's everything to gain and even more to lose in North America.

Japan

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/japan.png

The winds of change are switfly blowing through the land of Puroresu. One of the oldest and most respected regions in the world has seen it's foundations shaken with the rise of the Western style and once bankable loyalty of many stars now in question. The superstars of yesteryear such as Giant Baba and Antonio Inoki are past their primes and a new wave of young workers with their own unique style has started to emerge. While both major promotions, New Japan Wrestling and All Japan Pro Wrestling still doing good business at the gates a downturn in the industry seems inevitable as very few top card match ups remain unseen. Only a major star switching allegiances and jumping to a rival company will bring a much needed spark to Japan and that looks like it may become a reality with rumours abound megastar Riki Choshu will be jumping ship to NJPW.

All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling has been the dominant joshi organization from the 1970's to the 1980's. AJW's first major star was Mach Fumiake in 1974, followed in 1975 by Jackie Sato and Maki Ueda, known as the "Beauty Pair". The early 1980s saw the fame of Jaguar Yokota and Devil Masami, major stars of the second wave of excellent workers who took the place of the glamour-based "Beauty Pair" generation. That decade would later see the rise of Chigusa Nagayo and Lioness Asuka, known as the "Crush Gals", who as a tag team achieved a level of unprecedented mainstream success in Japan, unheard of by any female wrestler in the history of professional wrestling all over the world. Their long running feud with Dump Matsumoto and her "Gokuaku Domei" ("Atrocious Alliance") stable would become extremely popular in Japan during the 1980s, with their televised matches resulting in some of the highest rated broadcasts in Japanese television as well as the promotion regularly selling out arenas.

With the once mighty Japanese economy now slowing down critics are debating whether three major promotions can co-exsist, to add to the intrigue and speculation there are reports surfacing everywhere that many wrestlers are looking to start their own company.

Mexico

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/Mexico.png

The home of lucha libre is still a bastion of heritage and possesses one of the most loyal fanbases on earth, even despite a weak economy. Driven much by the success of the long standing crossover of wrestling stars to film stars the country continues to create new stars for each decade it enters. With legends like Blue Demon, Rayo de Jalisco and Mil Mascaras coming to the end of their careers, stars such as El Canek Dos Caras and Perro Aguayo are being left to top the cards and draw the crowds. With the mass immigration to the southern states of the U.S by Mexican natives has also created a market in those regions for the lucha style. Insiders are saying it's only a matter of time before the big promotions in North America will come looking south of the border for talent.

UK & Europe

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/UK.jpghttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/EuropeanUnion.png

The United Kingdom and Europe are often forgotten when discussing the mainstage of pro wrestling around the globe but recent decades especially in England have made the industry stand up and take notice. Driven by the popularity of Joint Promotions, the sport has kept it's lively fanbase and even managed to expand during the early 80's.

By 1975, the stranglehold of Joint Promotions had almost crumbled, with many of its founding members retiring and the company being bought out several times, leading to the wrestling industry being run by a public company with little experience of the unique business. Finally promotions were left in the hands of Max Crabtree, the brother of Shirley, who was headhunted by Joint as the most experienced booker still in the business.

Crabtree produced the next boom in British wrestling by creating the legend of "Big Daddy", the alter ego of Shirley, who had been unemployed for the best part of 6 years before joining Joint in 1972 as the heel "Battling Guardsman" and then being rebranded as Big Daddy two years later. After an initial transition period as a heel/tweener in the mid 1970s (most notable for his tag team partnership with future arch-rival Giant Haystacks and a heel vs heel feud with legendary masked wrestler Kendo Nagasaki, whom Daddy unmasked during a 1975 televised bout), from the summer of 1977 onwards, Big Daddy became a larger-than-life fan favourite of children and pensioners alike. That he was no longer a bodybuilder youth, rather an overweight man in his forties, did not seem to be an obstacle as every major heel in the country was defeated by Daddy, usually in short order thanks to Crabtree's lack of conditioning.

Big Daddy became the best known wrestler in British history and even had his own comic strip in Buster comic. Due to his popularity, Crabtree's run was extended by carefully positioning him in tag matches, allowing a host of young partners (which included Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, Gentleman Chris Adams and Steven Regal) to carry the match before tagging Daddy in for the finish. Basing a whole cartel around one performer, however, though good for television, did nothing for live events and promotion once again began losing interest.

Performers became dissatisfied with their position within the Joint Promotions and soon looked elsewhere for exposure mainly outside the UK as a whole. As a result, there was a rise in New Japan and Calgary's junior-heavyweight divisions, both of which had their roots in British wrestling of the time.

One English promoter that benefited from the backlash against the Crabtrees was Merseyside promoter Brian Dixon, who had started in the business during his youth, running the Jim Breaks fan club, now had several years experience running his own firm, All Star Promotions, and began capitalizing on this disaffection taking many of Joint Promotions' top champions.

The wrestling industry as a whole seemingly began to fall into disarray as the true nature of wrestling began to fall into question as many newspapers tried to expose the worked aspects of the sport. However, this trend did not ultimately harm the industries as the suspension of disbelief was all too easy to maintain for fans, even if they knew the truth. On 28 September 1985, the Crabtrees received another blow when World of Sport was taken off the air. Wrestling instead got its own show, but the time slot changed from week to week, slowly driving away the regular audience. Far worse for Joint Promotions, however, was that with their contract up for renewal, they were forced to share the TV rights as part of a rotation system with All Star Promotions and America's World Wrestling Federation (WWF).

Australia

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/Austrailia.png

Professional wrestling in Australia first gained distinction in the early 1900s, however there were very few shows promoted. Nonetheless, stars such as Clarence Weber, Jack Carkeek, Clarence Whistler and Georg Hackenschmidt were made. As time went on, the sport's popularity began to grow, particularly in the 1930s as people sought to find relief from The Great Depression.

Throughout the 1940s professional wrestling suffered due to World War II but in the 1950s reached new highs as many stars from overseas were imported and created larger crowds and, in turn, a larger market. Established names such as Lou Thesz, Dr. Jerry Graham and Gorgeous George toured the country during the decade.

Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, Australia established its only major promotion in WCW Australia. WCW had a television deal with the Nine Network, the first in Australia to do so and attracted crowds between 2,000 and 9,000 people on a weekly basis. International stars such as Killer Kowalski, Ray Stevens, Dominic Denucci, Mario Milano, Spiros Arion, Karl Gotch, Bruno Sammartino, Gorilla Monsoon and local stars Ron Miller and Larry O’Dea were all involved with the promotion which grew steadily through the 1960s and was a well known product in the 1970s. However, with the introduction of World Series Cricket, WCW was left with no television deal and was forced to close down in 1978. This sent the Australian market into a large decline. With no access to any product anywhere in the world, the Australian market was almost dead until World Wrestling Entertainment became a prominent figure in professional wrestling in the mid-1980s.

Australia has depended on the North American product since 1985. Hosting tours in 1985 and 1986 kept a solid viewing in the sport through programmes such as Superstars of Wrestling and Saturday Night's Main Event. Small local promotions have tried to take advantage of the popularity of professional wrestling in more recent times, but there has been nothing of note since the demise of World Championship Wrestling in 1978.

Enjoy :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noticed that there are two AJPW companies in the Data, one being a Copy. Easy to delete but I didn't notice it until I got to the company selection screen.

Oops must've missclicked before I zipped, thank you! Fixed and reuploaded.

Am I in the wrong spot or does EW Warehouse really have the pic pack spread out over 21 zip files?

Nope, right now the pack is in 21 zips (The pack is a massive 200 something MB). Wordpress imposes a 10mb upload limit if you do it from their dashboard. I've found a workaround though, I can upload it in one folder through FTP. I will have that up over the weekend. For now, you'll have to download the separate parts and put them together.

The mod is now hosted on EWWAREHOUSE :)

http://www.ewwarehouse.info/2013/01/04/tew-13-real-world-data-march-1987/

Nope, right now the pack is in 21 zips (The pack is a massive 200 something MB). Wordpress imposes a 10mb upload limit if you do it from their dashboard. I've found a workaround though, I can upload it in one folder through FTP. I will have that up over the weekend. For now, you'll have to download the separate parts and put them together.

The mod is now hosted on EWWAREHOUSE :)

http://www.ewwarehouse.info/2013/01/04/tew-13-real-world-data-march-1987/

Ahh cool thanks very much!!! I'll put link in main post when I get the rest up :)

"WWF HISTORY D..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thank you, you wonderful man.

But seriously... consider putting your pic pack in one single file in one single place, EWH has it in 17 parts for worker pics alone! Crazy!

Edit: My original comment was re: the 17 part download for the worker pics and the 4 part for the graphics, however i'am now uploading a complete copy and will replace this with the link when done.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eah74m ( Link inc full gfx + people )

nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thank you, you wonderful man.

But seriously... consider putting your pic pack in one single file in one single place, EWH has it in 17 parts for worker pics alone! Crazy!

As I said, I had to do that in order to upload the picture pack onto the website from the wordpress dashboard that drives the website. I have figured out a way to host it in one file and bypass the wordpress file upload limit. Give me about an hour and a working link to a single picture pack download will be up.

This is fantastic Genadi! I don’t post around here too often but I had to this time to give you a proper thank you. Can’t speak for everybody but the time and effort you put into your mods doesn’t go unrecognized and your work is hugely appreciated! Keep it up! plus, aside from Montreal Aftermath, this is the one I was most stoked to play!

There are a ton of old school pics of workers missing from the 2010 version. And there are several TV show pictures missing(i.e. Superstars and Wrestling Challenge). Lastly, all of the WWF events have "WWE" assigned to the name in the picture pack.

Superstars and wrestling challenge should be in there. WWF Superstars might be WWF SS or WWE SS check that. Wrestling Challenge should be the last two. If you have 2010 pic pack for TGA it should be in there.

Superstars and wrestling challenge should be in there. WWF Superstars might be WWF SS or WWE SS check that. Wrestling Challenge should be the last two. If you have 2010 pic pack for TGA it should be in there.

I just checked, and they're not.

Unfortunately, I deleted the 2010 pic pack to free up some space on my computer because I figured it'd be useless to have duplicate pictures cluttering up space.

Archived