British Wrestling Scene

Figured I'd put this up for people wanting to discuss 21CW, the dead ROF & MOSC, or future companies like HIW or BPW. Wrestlers you think have the potential to break out for 21CW, the future of the region, etc...

I'm personally kind of surprised by the "21CW stands alone" story for Britain in 2013. While I expected MOSC gone (story seemed to lead up to it just fine), ROF was a bit of a shocker since I had them down as the last of the resistance. Them being dead is more than a little depressing considering the fun I've had with them in 2005 (Global, baby!) & 2010, but that there's nobody starting out to challenge Nova's empire?

I'd have thought NWF would have been the new opposition in the British Isles, especially since it'd be a completely different scenario (historically if you consider the fan mods) for the UK, which has been one-company dominated (MOSC) during the 80s ('75), and then a collection of small promotions ('05) before 21CW broke through. Plus, two companies going at it in a relatively smaller wrestler-populated territory (with some European raiding) could have been a real interesting playing experience.

The British scene is truly the most puzzling thing in the game. I'm really not sure if Adam was going for an influx in 0/0/0/0 games in the British Isles or what, btu you'd think at the very least ROF holds out thanks to endless show stealers from Merle O'Curle. I mean, for chrissakes, 21CW goes out of business every time in TEW2010! I know that has zero bearing on Adam's work, but thats at least a compelling storyline shift after three games of the same: 21CW, bleeding money due to having to maintain their obligations in this TV deal, start to fade out, giving MOSC and ROF the means to fight back.

At least its not as bad as Europe: The land where people try to get more serious gimmicks in a region dominated by a Mainstream promotion.

The British scene is truly the most puzzling thing in the game. I'm really not sure if Adam was going for an influx in 0/0/0/0 games in the British Isles or what, btu you'd think at the very least ROF holds out thanks to endless show stealers from Merle O'Curle. I mean, for chrissakes, 21CW goes out of business every time in TEW2010! I know that has zero bearing on Adam's work, but thats at least a compelling storyline shift after three games of the same: 21CW, bleeding money due to having to maintain their obligations in this TV deal, start to fade out, giving MOSC and ROF the means to fight back.

At least its not as bad as Europe: The land where people try to get more serious gimmicks in a region dominated by a Mainstream promotion.

Not only does EWA is just sightly ahead than UEW, if left to it's own devices UEW will win that war all day. Why? Their product is more tuned with the trends AND they can produce more money matches than a CPU booking EWA style.

Even with a player on the driver seat, it will take some time before you can even beat UEW on their own game. If anything, it makes sense most workers there decided to do away with their gimmick once they are out of the ONLY mainstream company in a area that is more favorable towards competition.

Yeah.

I feel guilty even thinking this but the UK scene is awful in this version of the game.

Play as 21CW with all challengers years away from you and you just as far away from the world's big boys? No thanks.

Play as a challenger whos going to get treated like an ant by 21CW for the first 5 years? No thanks.

Clearly my own mod has a few more UK companies in it (6 extra ones) but Im tempted to bring back ROF into the base data. or at least a UK-based dev company for one of the big boys. That might at least be interesting.

The most depressing thing about the British scene is that 21CW brought the ROF name and titles so I can't raise them from the ashes. Still, I'm enjoying my RTG game with a company owned by British Samurai and we're making progress. An interesting thing happened in my first month: 21CW became hostile to my company. Either Jeff Nova is paranoid about any company that runs shows in Britain or it has something to do with the hatred between him and Samurai. I think it may be the latter.

I run my company as a Traditional Puro style, a market that 21CW won't touch, and - a bit of luck - realism is trending as a feature. That makes me wonder if trending is random or has something to do with what is being run in a region. If it's the latter then that's brilliant because that means you can look for a gap in the market and create demand and exploit it. Then again it could be random and I got lucky...

Yeah.

I feel guilty even thinking this but the UK scene is awful in this version of the game.

Play as 21CW with all challengers years away from you and you just as far away from the world's big boys? No thanks.

Play as a challenger whos going to get treated like an ant by 21CW for the first 5 years? No thanks.

Clearly my own mod has a few more UK companies in it (6 extra ones) but Im tempted to bring back ROF into the base data. or at least a UK-based dev company for one of the big boys. That might at least be interesting.

Um, why has no one actually seen the parallel?

The UK in TEW2013 perfectly mirrors North America in reality. 21CW is WWE!

Yes, you're going to mention TNA and RoH and "insert promotion here" but face facts, are they ever going to really present any kind of challenge to the global behemoth? No. The last two promotions to actually challenge the 800lb gorilla....were completely devoured by it. Everyone else out there now is a pretender (and not even a convincing one, at that).

In the game, you can break that monopoly, though it's not going to be easy. In reality, it's not likely to ever happen. It's kinda like Windows (WWE) vs Linux (everyone else). Yes, you'll have "in the know" people who despise the market leader. But collectively, quite frankly, they don't have enough money to matter. Last I read, there are a couple billion PCs running some version of Windows while Linux has maybe a couple million. That's the kind of lead WWE has in reality and it's similar to the lead 21CW has in TEW (scaled down, of course). That kind of headstart isn't going to be easy to overcome, but it CAN be overcome, which places it in stark contrast to reality.

The first time I saw the new database, that's the first thing that came to my mind. In fact, it even plays that way. If you play with restrictions off, 21CW runs out and signs the most charismatic, star quality laden workers available (Swoop McCarthy is on 21CW's roster before April, for example).

Um, why has no one actually seen the parallel?

The UK in TEW2013 perfectly mirrors North America in reality. 21CW is WWE!

Yes, you're going to mention TNA and RoH and "insert promotion here" but face facts, are they ever going to really present any kind of challenge to the global behemoth? No. The last two promotions to actually challenge the 800lb gorilla....were completely devoured by it. Everyone else out there now is a pretender (and not even a convincing one, at that).

In the game, you can break that monopoly, though it's not going to be easy. In reality, it's not likely to ever happen. It's kinda like Windows (WWE) vs Linux (everyone else). Yes, you'll have "in the know" people who despise the market leader. But collectively, quite frankly, they don't have enough money to matter. Last I read, there are a couple billion PCs running some version of Windows while Linux has maybe a couple million. That's the kind of lead WWE has in reality and it's similar to the lead 21CW has in TEW (scaled down, of course). That kind of headstart isn't going to be easy to overcome, but it CAN be overcome, which places it in stark contrast to reality.

The first time I saw the new database, that's the first thing that came to my mind. In fact, it even plays that way. If you play with restrictions off, 21CW runs out and signs the most charismatic, star quality laden workers available (Swoop McCarthy is on 21CW's roster before April, for example).

I've seen the parallel myself, but having one company in an entire region isn't really all that fun. There has to be opposition, something to fight them. ROH & TNA aren't "big", but at least there's something there. I was just hoping something more like '94 WWE instead of '01 WWE. Where they've got a great product and a great roster, but all the small promotions they've whittled away and all the wrestlers they've pushed out of the way have come together under one banner, one company (ala WWE) in the NWF to face off against them, with the stakes high and the recruiting grounds small. I'm talking cross-company raids, surprise debuts, battle for the heart of the British wrestling fanbase, etc...

NWA versus WWF

WCW versus WWF

RAWA versus WWWE

That's what I was hoping for.

But hey, that's what mods are for. And that's what I'll make.

And so on and so forth.

The following is the text for what I envision a 2013 NWF would look like, debuting in the new year. Owned by Dunton Hall and booked by Dark Angel (who joined on instead of signing with 21CW), and comprising of the following roster. This is what I'm going to use in the ALT-2013 Mod I'm working on:

NWF British National Champion – ???

NWF British Commonwealth Champion – ???

NWF British Commonwealth Tag Team Champions – ???

Owner – Dunton Hall

Booker – Dark Angel

Roster

Beast Bantom (heel main eventer)

Billy Robinson (babyface upper card)

British Samurai (babyface main event)

Bruiser (babyface upper card)

Crusher Von Steinberg (heel midcard)

Dark Angel (babyface main event)

Don Henderson (babyface upper card)

Genocide Agent (babyface mid card)

Geordie Jimmy Morris (heel mid card)

Glen Ward (heel opener)

Harbinger (Steven Parker) (babyface midcard)

Hugh De Aske (heel midcard)

Ian Davies (Red Dragon) (heel midcard)

Irwin Gutmann (heel midcard)

Jeremy Allen (heel lower card)

JD Morgan (heel midcard)

Kashmir Singh (babyface lower card)

Keith Adams (heel main event)

Louie Peyton (heel lower card)

Lug Phelan (heel mid-card)

Merle O’Curle (heel main event)

Michael Gregory (babyface lower card)

Mister King (heel lower card)

Paul Hughes (babyface main event)

Ripper LeStat (up his skills and change his style to Brawler) (heel lower card)

Stefan Raynor (heel lower card)

Suicide Agent (babyface lower card)

Thug (babyface upper card)

Tony Wright (heel midcard)

Vic Walker (heel lower card)

Walter Morgan (babyface mid card)

NWF Tag Team Division

The Shooters (babyface) – Billy Robinson & Don Henderson

The UK Wrecking Crew (babyface) – Bruiser & Thug

The Elimination Agents (babyface)– Genocide Agent & Suicide Agent

The Stud Express (heel) – Jeremy Allen & Tony Wright

The Celtic Hit Squad (heel) – Lug Phelan & Ian Davies (Red Dragon)

The German Tigers (heel) – Irwin Gutmann & Crusher Von Steinberg

Stables

The Hatt Gang (Stetson Hatt) – Beast Bantom, Irwin Gutmann & Crusher Von Steinberg

The Celtic League (Papa O’Keefe) – Merle O’Curle, Lug Phelan & Ian Davies

Camp ROF – British Samurai, Walter Morgan, Billy Robinson & Don Henderson

Stud Express – Tony Wright, Jeremy Allen & Vic Walker

Thoughts?

Also, just a picture of The German Tigers with my preferred renders:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff407/Hashasheen1/GermanTigers.png

i was also dissapointed when i found out about 21CW's monopoly as in previous editions, my first game would always be either ROF or MOSC.

So, this time, i hit the editor and brought in NWF and right now i am writing a dynasty dealing with this scenario.......

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523112

When you have time, kindly go through it and give me your comments, whether good or bad

• 7 months later...

<p>I don't know if anyone has had a rethink about the British scene in 2013 but my current game might be my favourite.</p><p> </p><p>

It is a great set up for a long term game because there is a lot of talent that just needs to be given experience.</p><p> </p><p>

I am up to June 2022 in my Road to Glory (0/0/0/1000) game and I thought I would share a few names who have stood out for me. I have been lucky because 21CW went bust just as I was building towards cult and I managed to grab some very good people. It also means that no one has signed away my best talent and I can sign who I like. HIW, NWF and CWW opened within a year and I have been engaged in an epic regional battle with them which I am on the verge of winning and rising to cult (44 importance in the North, I just need three more)</p><p> </p><p>

Here are my stars:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Wade Orson</strong> - Orson is amazing, he is not great on the mic but he has excellent charisma and basics. His Psyc is not good enough to main event ta first but I have got it up to B- so I rarely get dinged for it. His top row is great, he can have an very good match with anyone.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Luke Cool</strong> - Very similar to Orson but he is better on the mic and has B psychology. He is my CM Punk, can play face or heel, is great at getting people over or holding the belt.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mark Adonis</strong> - I still haven't got his scouting level up much but he is clearly a very good brawler with fantastic mic skills and good basics. I have teamed him up with Beast Bantom and the two of them make a great team; Adonis doing the interviews and Bantom kicking ass. Adonis could carry my company in the future and I have got him over from F- to C- in the South region so far.</p><p> </p><p>

These workers are supplimented by excellent workers like Petey Barnes, Don Henderson, Nigel Svensson, Ricky Storm and Joe Simpson.</p><p> </p><p>

There are also plenty of future stars still debuting. I am currently pushing Apollo Prince, Darin Flynn, Victor Beskov, Yuri Illakov and Phil Harmonic. I am expecting all of them to be very handy workers at cult.</p><p> </p><p>

I have saved the best still last though. The man who (hopefully) is going to push me all the way to national and beyond:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>War Machine</strong> - Machine is a decent brawler which good basics and psyc (I got it to B- so far) but he has the charisma and menace to be Brute pushed to the stars. His B SQ means that he is sure to be a big star. I brute pushed him to B- and he has dominated his way to A overness. If he has good momentum (he always does when I book him) he can easily get A rated menace angles. </p><p> </p><p>

His only downside is his lack of selling. I often get that note in big matches and he is not improving very fast in that area. Despite that he is the future of British Wrestling. I intend to make him the man who brings British wrestling back to the mainstream</p>

<p>I love the British wrestling scene... I'd say about 75% of my games are in it, be they with 21CW, user created companies or bringing one of the companies back from the grave/giving birth to them early. There's enough talent out there that despite having less workers than North America it never gets "samey"; running a ROF reborn promotion is a different experience to running a MOSC reborn experience which in turn is different to getting NWF off the ground.</p><p> </p><p>

I stuck up a couple of TL/DR posts about the British scene in the Small Question's thred, <a href="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1915472&postcount=6218" rel="external nofollow">here</a> and <a href="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1915755&postcount=6233" rel="external nofollow">here</a></p><p> </p><p>

Just to throw some of my own "star names" in there (and noting that I agree with all of yours)...</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Papa O'Keefe and Melanie Florence</strong>: Why am I listing two managers as the most important workers and two who I hire in virtually every game, even in performance over popularity companies? Simple.</p><p> </p><p>

Entertainment.</p><p> </p><p>

Melanie Florence starts with her microphone skill at about 90 while charisma and acting are in the low 80's. O'Keefe starts with microphone in the mid 80's and charisma and acting in the low 70's. What that means is that as well as being able to produce strong ratings themselves they're brilliant at improving the entertainment stats of any workers you pair with either of them. There are a lot of workers in the UK who start with a solid entertainment base and with regular work with either Florence or O'Keefe you can soon see their stats shoot up. <strong>The Steamroller</strong> (particularly with acting), before he's hired by 21CW on a written and <strong>Dunton Hall</strong> (outside of acting) can do much the same thing.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Michael Gregory</strong>: At the start of a game he's nothing special; average to poor performance stats, decent charisma but poor acting and microphone and while his brawling is pretty good (mid-60's puts him at the high end of British workers) his other top row stats are pretty limited. But what he does have is potential... and beyond potential a star quality in the low 80's. That means he gains popularity easily and if paired early on with a veteran with solid performance stats (of which the UK has a vast selection) and regularly given promo time with the previously mentioned Florence and O'Keefe his entertainment stats shoot up... within a couple of years he'll likely be one of your main eventers.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Brilliant White</strong>: This one can be hard work, but the potential rewards are pretty high. White's a poor wrestler when you starts off... even his aerial skills are average at best, his performance stats are dreadful (notably consistency) and the only in-ring thing he has going for him is his flashiness... and he has a soft drug problem beyond that. But what he does have is starting charisma and acting in the low 80's. As above, have him work with veterans to improve his in-ring skills and he's a guy who has the charisma to carry him through to a good upper-midcard/main event spot.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Mass Hulk</strong>: Again, this one takes work but is almost always worth it. Much like White his in-ring skills are poor (although at least his consistency is fairly high... the less said about his psychology the better), he has a drinking problem (and a reformed steroids problem) and it will take a year or two of improvements before you'll be confident putting him in matches that matter. But he starts out fairly charismatic (high 60's), with a high menace score (mid 80's) and great star quality (low 90's). He's an entertainment machine and off the back of his menace and star quality you'll see his star quality sky rocket. If you keep his team with <strong>Mark Adonis</strong> (a great prospect you've already mentioned) going then a long series of matches with the Shooters can get his performance stats up and support his brawling.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Martin Heath and Jon Michael Sharp</strong>: Somewhat similar to Michael Gregory in that they start the game as distinctly average but are well positioned to improve. Lacking Gregory's star quality they're average but flashy high-fliers, matches with the Shooters or other veterans improve their performance stats but the real kicker is their fairly good starting entertainment stats; again, put them with one of your entertaining managers/personalities and that should shoot up.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Nigel Svenson</strong>: While most of the other names I've mentioned fall firmly into the "entertainers who can put on a decent match" category, this guy is very much the opposite. He starts with great well-rounded in-ring skills, although his psychology needs a little work, and regular tours of Japan early on in his career only help that. Luckily he rarely seems to sign full time in Japan meaning you can eventually tie him down to a written contract and when you do he'll likely be one of your ring generals, replacing an aging Merle O'Curle and Walter Morgan (although he seems to go forever in my games).</p><p> </p><p>

As I say, I love the British scene and I could spend even longer waxing lyrically about all the workers I enjoy using and have done well for me (the pre-built monster heel Beast Bantom, the incredibly menacing Brickhouse Balder, the brief time you get Greg Gauge and Hugh de Aske, the technically proficient Foreign Legion, the Shooters, Simon Ice who needs performance work but already has well-rounded top-row skills at age 20 etc). 21CW's dominance doesn't make it boring for me; when playing with them it means I can experiment and have fun without having to worry about losing battles and my popularity dropping while as a rival it gives me something to aim for. There's a bit of everything to be found in there regardless of your style of promoting; flashy highfliers, mat technicians, bloody brawlers and entertainers and enough talent that two games rarely feel similar.</p>

<p>I am planning to start of 0/0/0/0 and have long been tempted by the British Isles... particularly this time around with only 21CW. The pool of workers is very appealing.</p><p> </p><p>

Has anyone had any luck cracking National? And if so, how stable are you at National?</p><p> </p><p>

I really like the idea of raising a British company to National, then shifting gears and attempting to get a British worker into the Hall of Immortals.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Luchador Canadiense" data-cite="Luchador Canadiense" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I am planning to start of 0/0/0/0 and have long been tempted by the British Isles... particularly this time around with only 21CW. The pool of workers is very appealing.<p> </p><p> Has anyone had any luck cracking National? And if so, how stable are you at National?</p><p> </p><p> I really like the idea of raising a British company to National, then shifting gears and attempting to get a British worker into the Hall of Immortals.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That is my plan. In previous games national was impossible but with the importance changes in the UK it should be doable now.</p><p> </p><p> Some interesting names there consortium. I like the fact that only two of those workers are on my roster, it just shows the variety that is there in the UK scene. Mark Adonis is in the middle of a big push with me but I just can't get Svensson over, one defeat sends him back too much.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Luchador Canadiense" data-cite="Luchador Canadiense" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I am planning to start of 0/0/0/0 and have long been tempted by the British Isles... particularly this time around with only 21CW. The pool of workers is very appealing.<p> </p><p> Has anyone had any luck cracking National? And if so, how stable are you at National?</p><p> </p><p> I really like the idea of raising a British company to National, then shifting gears and attempting to get a British worker into the Hall of Immortals.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> National's certainly possible and I was stable enough there. International is a real push... I've made it briefly but never for more than a brief period at a time; you're too vulnerable to both "poor" shows and changes in regional importance. It also became a bit too "gamey" for me; because of the pressure on scoring high ratings each show became a mechanical exercise in basically spamming as many menace based angles as I could (all part of storylines with the heat kept massively high by even more menace angles) instead of me developing my own plots and ideas.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bad Collin" data-cite="Bad Collin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Some interesting names there consortium. I like the fact that only two of those workers are on my roster, it just shows the variety that is there in the UK scene. Mark Adonis is in the middle of a big push with me but I just can't get Svensson over, one defeat sends him back too much.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's quite easy to overlook some of the talent; at first glance for example Brilliant White looks to be yet another average at best highflier... until you use him a few times there's no reason to suspect he has vast charisma and acting. Likewise Gregory is given a bit of an unfair rap on his blurb... his performance stats may very much be generic brawler but 64 brawling in and of itself is one of the highest available in UK... which becomes more incredible when you realise he's only 19.</p>

<p>I actually prefer the British wrestling scene in 2013 compared to past editions. For whatever reason, I could never get into ROF or MOSC, but always enjoyed 21CW.</p><p> </p><p>

And in this edition, I've had a blast running my own, new company, trying to work my way up in the British scene. Keith Adams always holds a soft spot for me, and I pick him up in every British or European company I've run since TEW 08.</p>

Archived