Small questions that don't deserve their own thread

Just what the name of the thread says. This is just like the TEW threads where you can post questions about the game so that there is not a ton of different threads just for a simple question.

Here is my question:

Is it possible to not have a salary cap for a league starting in the 1940's?

The reason why I ask is because I took it off when I was setting up my league and now none of my players are making any money.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

One more question (I was going to add it to my previous post but I got kicked off the site):

Can you change the settings of your league after a season is done or are you stuck with the rules for the rest of the history of the league?

The reason is I am going to run a league with no shot clock and I would eventually like to add the shot clock later on. If I cannot do it, then I would just keep the shot clock as it is.

In the fictional league I started today I decided after the first season to have a luxury tax threshhold. At the end of the season you get an "edit league structure" button. So, I clicked it and it took me to the league setup screen, where I added my luxury tax.

So, I assume that you *can* change other league settings after you have begun a league.

In the fictional league I started today I decided after the first season to have a luxury tax threshhold. At the end of the season you get an "edit league structure" button. So, I clicked it and it took me to the league setup screen, where I added my luxury tax.

So, I assume that you *can* change other league settings after you have begun a league.

You can edit most league settings at the point where it tells you you can edit league structure. During the season almost all of the league options will not allow editing but you'll still be able to edit teams, players, and staff.

This is probably something so simple that I'm doing wrong, but it's confusing the heck out of me. Every time I start a season, I go into Tools -> Current League Editor and add the nicknames for all of the teams. They stay correct for the first season but in the offseason, they disappear and go back to default (just city, no nickname). The same thing happens with any player numbers that I change from the same league editor screen. What am I doing wrong?

So I take it you (like everyone else it seems :)) are playing historical seasons. For team names you'll want to edit the actual historical files to get the names to stick. I believe one of the posts in the mods forum might direct people to a site with some already customized ones including logos as well. The historical files are stored in the Historical Leagues folder of the main data folder for the game. This is normally C:\Users\Public\Documents\GDS\Fast Break Pro Basketball 3 on newer versions of Windows. If you go to north america and then teams there are CSV files for each of the teams that can appear in historical seasons.

Numbers should stick unless someone else on the team has the same number. I just added some code that will make the edited number be the player's preferred number if they switch teams as well. Are you having guys who stay on the same team change numbers?

Numbers should stick unless someone else on the team has the same number. I just added some code that will make the edited number be the player's preferred number if they switch teams as well. Are you having guys who stay on the same team change numbers?

If their contracts are expiring and they enter free agency, if I'm able to resign them they come back to the team with a completely different #. The code you're adding should solve that problem though, I would think. Thanks for the help.

When you have a 2-tiered league setup, can each league have 2 conferences, or do they each need to have only one?

If the upper league has two conferences, where do the 1 or 2 promoted teams from the sub-league go?

In a 2-tiered league setup, do free agents go to a single pool? Could my top league team sign FAs who have spent their careers in the sub-league?

So I take it you (like everyone else it seems :)) are playing historical seasons. For team names you'll want to edit the actual historical files to get the names to stick. I believe one of the posts in the mods forum might direct people to a site with some already customized ones including logos as well. The historical files are stored in the Historical Leagues folder of the main data folder for the game. This is normally C:\Users\Public\Documents\GDS\Fast Break Pro Basketball 3 on newer versions of Windows. If you go to north america and then teams there are CSV files for each of the teams that can appear in historical seasons.

I did what they said in this site,but some teams don't have logos inb my leagues(in 75 Lakers and Bulls,in 85 Lakers,Bulls and Clippers,in 95 Lakers,Celtics,Pacers,Kings,Bulls and some more i guess),am i doing something wrong?

I did what they said in this site,but some teams don't have logos inb my leagues(in 75 Lakers and Bulls,in 85 Lakers,Bulls and Clippers,in 95 Lakers,Celtics,Pacers,Kings,Bulls and some more i guess),am i doing something wrong?

Can anyone help?

A couple of questions. How exactly is cohesion calculated? Also do teams with more experienced players get some kind of bonus? I have just noticed in my career that I have about 6-7 players that I have kept on my team every year for nearly a decade along with the same coach and despite their ratings declining I am actually improving. I am wondering if I am getting a San Antonio type bonus or if just a coincidence?

Cohesion grows the longer each player spends with the team. The effects of the cohesion are also dependent on the skill of the player. Your best player is going to be more important than someone who never sees the court. If someone was on your team last year and then you trade for them this year, they will still have some of the previous cohesion built up before. Keeping players the same players would only help with the cohesion aspect. There isn't another hidden bonus to that as well.

Coaching questions

1) What effect does calling a timeout have? Is there a momentum factor in this game?

2) What effects do pressure level and double teaming have, pro and con?

3) What are the pluses and minuses of each defense?

4) Does a higher pace expose a teams high turnover rate? Any other effect other than fatigue and more possessions?

1) What effect does calling a timeout have? Is there a momentum factor in this game?

Timeouts reset momentum and give your players back some stamina.

2) What effects do pressure level and double teaming have, pro and con?

Pressure level determines how tight you play. Higher will give you more steals, blocks, and fouls. Lower will give less. Double teams are like manual help in that you'll defend that player better but will give up open shots to other players.

3) What are the pluses and minuses of each defense?

Man is pretty standard. Half trap you'll generate more steals and fouls and give up more open shots than man. Also uses more stamina. Help uses the same on ball defense as man but the off ball people are going to play off to be in better position to help if the man guarding the ball gets beat. You should give up less penetration but more open outside shots. Zone you are going to play off all around. Zone is like Help but with less on the ball pressure. Less fouls due to playing off.

4) Does a higher pace expose a teams high turnover rate? Any other effect other than fatigue and more possessions?

Just more fatigue and possessions.

Archived