Overwhelmed by manager

Curious about this little ding. I'm guessing it's one of those 'random/different from game to game' things but is it universal? For example, does it mean the worker is overwhelmed by that particular manager or by managers in general? Also, is it permanent or can a worker learn to eventually not be overwhelmed?

The ding itself doesn't appear to be that large (i.e. the segments still rate exactly what they're expected to and positive chemistry more than makes up for it, it seems) but being a wide user of managers, I'm curious as to how deep a feature this is.

Yes, I know it existed in previous games but I always ignored it. This is the first time since TEW10 that I'm actually using an in-ring user character and she's been hit with this, which could have far reaching implications.

It means the manager is significantly more popular than the client in my experiences.

Yeah, that doesn't fit here. In neither case is that true this time. The user character in question has 100 popularity (testing the figurehead mechanic). The managers (Beth Mercy, Dharma Gregg) haven't even broken 30 yet. Besides, in 2013, I've seen this crop up between workers of similar popularity levels (Yoko Ikina & Kammy Ling in my last TEW13 game) but as I said, I blew it off.

I'm just wondering if it's permanent (i.e. will the worker always be overwhelmed if they have a manager in this save) or do I just have to find someone who doesn't overwhelm her.

I thought it cropped up when the manager had Star Quality or Charisma that was significantly better than the clients- the client gets overshadowed because everybody's paying attention to the manager. Like a Sunny/Candido situation.

I've taken it to mean that they aren't suited to having a manager, and that it's a random thing... but I can't for the life of me remember why I think that's the case.

I vaguely remember a prior discussion that seemed to indicate that but I can't remember where or when it was (TEW10? TEW13?). I figured it was random since I do recall workers being beset with that note in one game but not in another. If it's permanent, I'll have to rethink my plans but it doesn't really derail anything. But going forward, I should stop planning storylines that involve managers competing for the chance to rep a particular worker until I know if said worker can even HAVE a manager. :p

I thought it cropped up when the manager had Star Quality or Charisma that was significantly better than the clients- the client gets overshadowed because everybody's paying attention to the manager. Like a Sunny/Candido situation.

While I can't speak for how the mechanic works in '16, in my '13 games I remember always getting this note in regards to Jessie and Angry Gilmore. I think it stems from Jessie having such a significantly higher SQ and sex appeal than Gilmore.

I vaguely remember a prior discussion that seemed to indicate that but I can't remember where or when it was (TEW10? TEW13?). I figured it was random since I do recall workers being beset with that note in one game but not in another. If it's permanent, I'll have to rethink my plans but it doesn't really derail anything. But going forward, I should stop planning storylines that involve managers competing for the chance to rep a particular worker until I know if said worker can even HAVE a manager. :p

Could work that into the storyline. Have the manager test them by accompanying each of them to one match to figure out if it works. Settle it at a large show.

I thought this note was the opposite of when a manager and worker "work extremely well together" note. Isn't it just a text based way of indicating good or bad chemistry?

No, there's a specific note for if a worker and manager have bad chemistry with each other. This is a completely different thing that causes a duo to not work, but the mechanics are a bit mysterious.

I thought this note was the opposite of when a manager and worker "work extremely well together" note. Isn't it just a text based way of indicating good or bad chemistry?

No. Bad chemistry has its own notes ('have zero chemistry together', 'don't work well together. Their timing is all over the place', etc). This issue is ONLY indicated on the dirt sheet. Chemistry notes appear on the main show notes.

No, there's a specific note for if a worker and manager have bad chemistry with each other. This is a completely different thing that causes a duo to not work, but the mechanics are a bit mysterious.

It's a random occurrence. It basically means a worker does not work well with a manager. ANY manager. It's exactly as Self said. I've tried it with 36 different managers for this worker and still gotten the note. I guess all that's left is to see if that changes at some point down the road (though I doubt it).

Archived