How do you manage unused talent?

I'm pretty sure most of us have been in a situation where we either bring in new workers or take a liking to a worker and want to almost push them immediately and because of this our roster can get a little bloated and talented workers have to take a back seat, common example of "creative has nothing for you."

So how do you all deal with this: Release them? Send them to development? Job them to those you want to push? Give them a vacation? So many options.

Development, jobbing, or vacations as size and finances allow. My quirk is I prefer renegotiating into a one month deal over outright firing unless they're a locker room cancer I have to get rid of. It's definitely hard to squeeze everyone into shows but my roster isn't too bloated yet this game.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Andrew2436" data-cite="Andrew2436" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="42314" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm pretty sure most of us have been in a situation where we either bring in new workers or take a liking to a worker and want to almost push them immediately and because of this our roster can get a little bloated and talented workers have to take a back seat, common example of "creative has nothing for you."<p> </p><p> So how do you all deal with this: Release them? Send them to development? Job them to those you want to push? Give them a vacation? So many options.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I keep a roster cap for this very situation. If I am holding my roster to no more than 32 active wrestlers I will release someone when I bring in someone new. I usually tend to have a bigger roster than most but I fill up the pre-show dark match time every single show to get them as much work as possible with 3v3, 4v4, or 5v5 matches or even battle royals</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MachoManOrton" data-cite="MachoManOrton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="42314" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Also, TAG TEAM MATCHES, PLAYA!!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And battle royals.I once did a jobber battle royal where the winner would challenge for the ME belt.Heath Slater won.</p>

I just took over the WWE with the brand split, and went nuts on free agents across the globe. Now I have wayyyy too many people, so I ended up rebranding WCW as my third Brand. Each Brand has around 30 wrestlers (22-24 Males and 6-8 females), plus NxT still which is overpacked as well...I need another Developmental lol

<p>I've changed my booking to more and more like NXT where my guys aren't generally seen every week unless I need to rush a build. I headline a lot of show with the midcard title or tag titles depending on the champ. My top guys that are feuding pick up wins against midcard or below talent every 2 to 3 weeks (2 to 3 weeks meaning that many weeks before they're back on TV working a match) and whenever the midcard talent starts to get poor momentum they get to beat local talent for a few weeks/months while a different midcard jobber to the stars steps up. </p><p> </p><p>

Doing that helps to keep the game fresh for longer as it's easier to book a story over 8 weeks if you don't have to progress the story every single week. You also get to play around with more characters and potentially push guys you wouldn't have prior because you take a liking to their character like I have with Hijo Espada Roja in my OLLIE game.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lr10540" data-cite="lr10540" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="42314" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've changed my booking to more and more like NXT where my guys aren't generally seen every week unless I need to rush a build. I headline a lot of show with the midcard title or tag titles depending on the champ. My top guys that are feuding pick up wins against midcard or below talent every 2 to 3 weeks (2 to 3 weeks meaning that many weeks before they're back on TV working a match) and whenever the midcard talent starts to get poor momentum they get to beat local talent for a few weeks/months while a different midcard jobber to the stars steps up. <p> </p><p> Doing that helps to keep the game fresh for longer as it's easier to book a story over 8 weeks if you don't have to progress the story every single week. You also get to play around with more characters and potentially push guys you wouldn't have prior because you take a liking to their character like I have with Hijo Espada Roja in my OLLIE game.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I really like this idea of less exposure because logically I think it makes fans want to see the guys more and get more excited when they do. </p><p> </p><p> Just curious though, are you running popularity over performance or vice versa? Because with a performance heavy fed, unless you have a roster full of really good midcard workers, it seems hard to get good match ratings when the midcarders are blah in the ring. On the other hand, if you are more popularity heavy, doesn't the match grade suffer when the midcard workers aren't very popular? I'm thinking maybe I put toon much emphasis on grades.</p>

<p>In my SWF save, I use everyone at or above UM every show unless they are selling an injury, and if they are selling a big injury, they obviously get vacations. I also use a brand split which helps with complaints. If they don't have a fued in place, I put them in an angle to interact with some low card guys to give them a small rub. I also put most mid carders and lower to no brand and use them on all my shows. If they are on written deals you may as well fill up your preshow with a couple of 8-10 minute matches. Testing for chemistry and such. I usually will have a ME run an angle on the show and then a match with a low card guy on the preshow. Win-win for everyone.</p><p> </p><p>

For smaller companies, I try to make sure anyone mid card or above appears on every other show. This allows you to not have to load up your expensive top guys every show. Two events ago I had Tom Gilmore and Duane Stone in a 45 minute best 2 out of 3 falls match, Stone wins. Next show Gilmore gets a win against a UM guy in the main event. Stone gets the night off, both have good momentum going into their 60 minute iron man match. Also take advantage of one show contracts, almost all the big names in Canada or on PPA's in my 97 C-Verse saves, so I'll bring in a few of the Stones or DeColts every once in a while for 1 show. I also use trades and loans to help spice up the roster every few shows.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="equinox10" data-cite="equinox10" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="42314" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I really like this idea of less exposure because logically I think it makes fans want to see the guys more and get more excited when they do. <p> </p><p> Just curious though, are you running popularity over performance or vice versa? Because with a performance heavy fed, unless you have a roster full of really good midcard workers, it seems hard to get good match ratings when the midcarders are blah in the ring. On the other hand, if you are more popularity heavy, doesn't the match grade suffer when the midcard workers aren't very popular? I'm thinking maybe I put toon much emphasis on grades.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's the default OLLIE product, which is popularity slightly over performance. It works really well with the talent on the roster because most the workers are really good in ring, and they have plenty of popular talent for their size. </p><p> </p><p> I'll explain them a little bit, so ignore the rest of this paragraph if you're familiar with them... They're a regional company with 55 in their home region, 33 in the other 2 regions of Mexico. As far as talent, they have 7 guys that are more popular than their home region. There's another 5 or 6 that hover right around that 50-55 range of popularity. So as far as having viable main events, there's a multitude of options. Storylines are not required, though I still run them as I don't really see a reason for wrestling without some stories. They have a women's division that I scrapped for the moment because I don't feel there's enough luchadoras active in Mexico to make a deep division; it's very top heavy for me which makes it harder to book. The tag division has a couple of really nice teams, half of which can headline. And as I mentioned up above, they are all really nice workers. </p><p> </p><p> Some can consistently pull great grades regardless of who they're matched up against. I can run a main event of Gino Montero (65 pop) vs some midcard jobber to the stars like a Laberinto Jr (45 pop) and the match pulls a 67 grade in the main event. For a real life comparison, think Shinsuke Nakamura vs Tye Dillinger than main evented Shinsuke's first episode of NXT. You tune in because you want to see Gino Montero, regardless of the opponent. Even more so when you consider the fact that I have 1 show left to run in April (running weekly shows with 1 event/ppv every other month) and Gino has only wrestled 3 times in the save. He's appeared on a lot more shows to further his rivalry with El Critico, but if you want to see him wrestle you're not going to get many opportunities so you better tune in when it does happen. That's how I feel about it at least.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Another thing I noticed when I play my SWF save, I can put a main event guy like Brandon James or Valiant who both hover around 80 pop against an opponent with 50-60 pop and it still pops a 78 segment rating. That to me shows the game is more about what participants are in the match. If you have a main eventer having a semi-competitive match (in other words, not a 1-sided squash) then people are going to want to see that main eventer work a match. I've taken that philosophy to OLLIE, and so long as I don't lose popularity, I'm going to continue to run things this way.</p><p> </p><p> As far as the grades are concerned, I put more of an emphasis on the stories I want to tell. If the grades are poor, then I try to change the booking of it a little bit, but ultimately the game for me is just a means to tell the stories I want to tell. That changes slightly for main events. If I have a main eventer than can't get a good grade with really anyone, then I question why they're a main eventer. In the case of Gino, he always pulls a great grade regardless of the segment or who's in it, so I don't have that worry or issue with him, I can book freely with him without worrying about the consequences. Basically if you play OLLIE, Gino Montero is Stone Cold Steve Austin lol. You put him in a segment, and it's gonna be gold.</p>

<p><span>http://i.imgur.com/vLqvBVYl.png</span></p><p> </p><p>

That's my most recent main event. El Bandido is 60 pop across Mexico (main eventer), Dragon Americano is 50 pop across Mexico (midcard) and they put on a 70 for my main event. Aside from a squash match for El Critico to open the show, it was the only match on the card with a main eventer in it.</p><p> </p><p>

Funny thing, he's not currently in a story. I signed him 2 weeks ago and am slowly building him up to be Gino's first opponent after he takes the title off Hijo Del Mephisto at the anniversary show in 9-10 weeks (he and Gino will face off in 14-15 weeks) thus the main event slot. Not to mention he has a well known history in the game and would likely be an Indy favorite, so it works for me!</p>

<p>Can't really understand this. I have 131 wrestlers at regional and none are 'unused'</p><p> </p><p>

A couple of thoughts....</p><p> </p><p>

you could make some of the better ones special attraction type deals so they don't get made about their use. I haven't gotten to written deals so maybe you can't do that, but if so it should help.</p><p> </p><p>

If it makes sense they could be in feuds where the only show appearance may be as guest commentary or in a talk show (maybe even host so they have a weekly/monthly spot).</p><p> </p><p>

Dark matches</p><p> </p><p>

My less entertaining folks tend to job to the midcard to keep their momentum up, otherwise mid carders losing to the upper card leaves them negative. Sometimes fighting with the midcarders helps these guys become something more useful.</p><p> </p><p>

A lot of the old school x-division type matches (think when TNA debuted on FSN and the these matches were often 4-6 way bouts) and similar tag matches</p><p> </p><p>

The occasional battle royal.</p><p> </p><p>

To lose in the early round of tournaments</p><p> </p><p>

Team them together at random, see if you can find a jobber tag team with chem</p><p> </p><p>

loan them out for someone more useful</p><p> </p><p>

make a few stables or a super stable where they can be in the background</p><p> </p><p>

Combine the feuds you have going into a bigger match (think New day + Enzo Cass vs the Wyatts and Gallows and Anderson in a 5v5) This condenses that time needed for main players and makes time for the guys you can't normally fit onto the card.</p><p> </p><p>

Brand spit</p><p> </p><p>

Don't use the main guys every show. will leave room for the others.</p><p> </p><p>

In my case some of these folks are very popular in a certain game area, I use them to headline when in those areas.</p>

<p>I make lots of B-Shows so even my lesser used guys get some exposure, but...</p><p> </p><p>

In general, I'm pretty bad at utilizing even my entire roster. I'm probably going to go for a Brand Split after I get through this set of Storylines I'm on now. I have too many guys who I <strong>want</strong> to elevate but just can't because of how crowded my Main Event scene really is.</p><p> </p><p>

I've got Lenny Brown, Logan Wolfsbaine, Kip Keenan, Steven Parker, Sayeed Ali and more in my midcard just toiling away, trading wins with each-other when they all are good enough workers to break into the Main Event, they just can't do it while there's such a huge list of talent. A brand split may make me more effective, as long as I remember to run a set of Storylines for each brand and make a midcard belt and a tag belt for each brand. At the very least, it'll motivate me to try some new tag teams and opponent combinations.</p>

<p>I don't have this "unused talent" that you speak of. Never heard of him lol.</p><p> </p><p>

If I can't send them down to developmental to train or develop, I'll make a random tag team and see if they get over. One example was Alex Riley and Darren Young as "White Chocolate."</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

They didn't get over.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="AfRoMaN36" data-cite="AfRoMaN36" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="42314" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't have this "unused talent" that you speak of. Never heard of him lol.<p> </p><p> If I can't send them down to developmental to train or develop, I'll make a random tag team and see if they get over. One example was Alex Riley and Darren Young as "White Chocolate."</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> They didn't get over.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You gave up too early. They could have been money.</p>

Archived