+A nice touch to the game is the bility of an experienced worker/performer taking a younger person under their wing and gradually teach them some things.

Some don't make much of a difference to your game and some help aperformer bcome a star?

What are some your best and worst Mentor/Mentee experiences?

Any turn an average midcarder for life guy into an uppercarder?

For me, as WWF in 1990 Slaughter became the Mentor to Steve Austin and whilst he was already good and would naturally become great, Slaughter has certainly helped him out in speeding up the process in some area's

Austins Brawling progress has sped up and perhaps the biggest improvement is in Mic skills, jumped up from 83 to 90 in 4 months and charisma has jumped up from 77 to 85 in the last 4 months under Slaughters eye. Think it may have helped that when the Mentor thing popped up I put Austin in a feud with Slaughter for 3 months.

On the useless side of the mentor coin .

Randy Savage has taken Virgil under his wing... and whilst Virgil has improved to the point he's a useful lowermidcarder/midcard guy it's going to take more that Savage to make Virgil a star. I wish he picked someone like Tatanka or Marty that I would push up the card.+

<p>I love the mentor idea, but I don't think it happens enough. I think in real life, nearly everyone would have a mentor of some sort. Obviously, if every worker had a mentor and ever mentored workers stats then shot up, it'd be a bit easy, but maybe the game could make it that some mentors were doing more harm than good and maybe you could tinker with this and say to the mentoree "I don't think this guy is the best influence for you, I think you shold syat away". And maybe you could even directly set up a worker to mentor someone.....But even that might not always turn out to be a good move.</p><p> </p><p>

I don't really have an answer to your question as I genuinely don't see it much. Maybe it happens more at National and above? Although, I once started a 1992 game and Slaughter also started mentoring Steve Austin!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="redhilleagle" data-cite="redhilleagle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44121" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I love the mentor idea, but I don't think it happens enough. I think in real life, nearly everyone would have a mentor of some sort. Obviously, if every worker had a mentor and ever mentored workers stats then shot up, it'd be a bit easy, but maybe the game could make it that some mentors were doing more harm than good and maybe you could tinker with this and say to the mentoree "I don't think this guy is the best influence for you, I think you shold syat away". And maybe you could even directly set up a worker to mentor someone.....But even that might not always turn out to be a good move.<p> </p><p> I don't really have an answer to your question as I genuinely don't see it much. Maybe it happens more at National and above? Although, I once started a 1992 game and Slaughter also started mentoring Steve Austin!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, I went through every NJPW wrestler's wiki and if they had a specific trainer (and not just NJPW or AJPW dojo) listed, I added a X protege of Y relationship to my database. I am hoping this helps improve everyone's stats in the long run, especially since Yuji Nagata trained so many guys.</p>

<p>I've only managed to get one in my game (which I am about 3 years into) which was MVP taking some jobber under his wing. It didn't go anywhere and both were released soon after, MVP for moaning about said jobber getting the chop. </p><p> </p><p>

Would love to be able to test it out properly with something useful.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blake Trask" data-cite="Blake Trask" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44121" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well there's a difference between helping train and develop and the mentor/protege relationship, which is like being taken under the wing of, work closely with , etc.<p> </p><p> Everyone has a teacher, sure. Not everyone has a mentor.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I thought the "Protege Of" relationship was specifically indicating who trained who. Otherwise I don't think the whole mentor/protege thing really happens in wrestling.</p>

Ric Flair, in my 1987 game, turned Johnny Ace into a potential star. 99 psychology, 85 microphone, 99 babyface performance. At nearly every show, Flair gave him some sort of advice.

Diamond Dallas Page, in my 2001 game, has given Homicide a 98 babyface performance rating and an 80 microphone.

He's also helped John Cena, but it's harder to tell what difference he made in his stats.

I thought the "Protege Of" relationship was specifically indicating who trained who. Otherwise I don't think the whole mentor/protege thing really happens in wrestling.

Well everyone has to be trained from somewhere, so it wouldn't make sense to have every single worker with a mentor relationship in the database.

An example of a mentor/protege relationship would be William Regal to Daniel Bryan. Shawn Michaels trained Bryan, but he was not his mentor. Regal on the other hand, didn't train him, but would often help him through his entire career with things inside and outside of the ring. It's (obviously) much more behind the scenes but there are a lot of real examples. It's most visible in Japan where guys are usually put in groups with someone who mentored them (KENTA in Burning, Hiromu in LIJ).

A lot of times promoters try to facilitate it themselves by booking young guys with older ones so that they travel with them to learn/spend time with veterans. Thinking about Cody Rhodes and Hardcore Holly and the like, though obviously those wouldn't be noted in the database, as they aren't long lasting and continual.

In my current game Scott Steiner took Chris Masters under his wing, which makes sense to me.

also in my current game, Triple H decided to take on two. JTG and Shad Gaspard.

Speaking of Steiner, Scott Steiner became mentor to John Cena in my 2001 game. Which is insanely hilarious to me, also Mick Foley became Rhino's mentor, which is also funny, but in the sense I had WCW invade, and Rhyno Gored Mick Foley, the WWF Commissioner to make a point and the very next RAW, Foley became Rhino's Mentor, I guess he wasn't fond of Rhino's Gore and wanted to teach him.

In a 95 game, DDP became mentor to Chris Kanyon, which I thought was great and very fitting.

I feel like Loyalty might cover most relationships of wrestlers who were taught or spent a lot of time with another wrestler, like Steve Austin/Gentleman Chris Adams, like The Undertaker/Vince McMahon but the latter is mostly cause Vince gave Taker a lifetime job, pretty much.

I don't think EVERY wrestler should have a mentor, I just think it should happen a little more often. I am nearly three years into my save at the moment and not had one worker being mentored. I'd think a more realistic number would be AT LEAST 2, but even just one a year seems quite low. And what would be wrong with the same guy mentoring more than one worker?

I don't think EVERY wrestler should have a mentor, I just think it should happen a little more often. I am nearly three years into my save at the moment and not had one worker being mentored. I'd think a more realistic number would be AT LEAST 2, but even just one a year seems quite low. And what would be wrong with the same guy mentoring more than one worker?

1 - I think you have a very different idea of what a mentor is compared to what is represented in the game, especially with your earlier comment of " I think in real life, nearly everyone would have a mentor of some sort"; I suspect you're putting teachers \ trainers and mentors into the same bracket, which they're explicitly not in TEW. Hardly anyone has a mentor in reality, especially nowadays due to the nature of the business - there are so many podcasts that go in depth into wrestler's histories and "backstage life" that there's a wealth of information on things like this, and you hardly ever hear of proper mentor-style relationships existing.

2 - Your post above makes it sound like you want a flat rate of "x per month \ year". To clarify, the amount is dependent on the make-up of your roster, as it would be in reality. You're naturally going to have a much lower rate if you have a small roster, a mostly young roster, or a lack of veterans who have the type of personality where they'd not want to take people under their wing.

<p>Are there certain minimum stat levels for someone to have, in order to become a mentor (i.e. respect, psychology, etc)?</p><p> </p><p>

I'm also assuming there's a minimum age. Anyone know what it is?</p><p> </p><p>

Lastly, I imagine that there are certain personality traits that would either make it more or less likely that someone decides to become a mentor for a younger talent. Any ideas on what these traits might be?</p>

I have had a somewhat different experience with mentors than mentioned above. In one year in my WCW lives game, i've had Road Agent Paul Orndorff take on 3 protege's in Yang, Mike Sanders and Sean O'Haire. Lex Luger took on John Cena, DDP is mentoring Mark Jindrak and Sting is helping Johnny The Bull. So I think it just depends. My WCW roster is a good mix of older guys and young guys that would need the help too, so I think that definitely plays into it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44121" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>1 - I think you have a very different idea of what a mentor is compared to what is represented in the game, especially with your earlier comment of " I think in real life, nearly everyone would have a mentor of some sort"; I suspect you're putting teachers \ trainers and mentors into the same bracket, which they're explicitly <em>not</em> in TEW. Hardly anyone has a mentor in reality, especially nowadays due to the nature of the business - there are so many podcasts that go in depth into wrestler's histories and "backstage life" that there's a wealth of information on things like this, and you hardly ever hear of proper mentor-style relationships existing.<p> </p><p> 2 - Your post above makes it sound like you want a flat rate of "x per month \ year". To clarify, the amount is dependent on the make-up of your roster, as it would be in reality. You're naturally going to have a much lower rate if you have a small roster, a mostly young roster, or a lack of veterans who have the type of personality where they'd not want to take people under their wing.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Point 1 - You're probably right. I do live in the past a little and I guess every industry is different. I work in an industry where mentorship is not only encouraged but rewarded!</p><p> </p><p> Point 2 - I wouldn't want to see so clinical as X amount per month, I just thought that in three years I'd see at least 2 mentorships come into play in my save. As I also said earlier, a mentorship doesn't always have to work out / bear fruit / last very long.</p><p> </p><p> As a side point, I did also make a point of saying that perhaps you get more at Cult / National, I understand that with smaller rosters, everything becomes a little more scarce, including comments like "The kid doesn't get it" or "This kid could make a lot of money..."</p>

I hired a graduate of the Dudley Boyz wrestling school so his mentor from the start was D-Von. And because of this mentor relationship the guy has been improving a lot ever since I brought him up from NXT. Almost every week I get an incident about D-Von teaching him something, it's great.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44121" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>1 - I think you have a very different idea of what a mentor is compared to what is represented in the game, especially with your earlier comment of " I think in real life, nearly everyone would have a mentor of some sort"; I suspect you're putting teachers \ trainers and mentors into the same bracket, which they're explicitly <em>not</em> in TEW. Hardly anyone has a mentor in reality, especially nowadays due to the nature of the business - there are so many podcasts that go in depth into wrestler's histories and "backstage life" that there's a wealth of information on things like this, and you hardly ever hear of proper mentor-style relationships existing.<p> </p><p> 2 - Your post above makes it sound like you want a flat rate of "x per month \ year". To clarify, the amount is dependent on the make-up of your roster, as it would be in reality. You're naturally going to have a much lower rate if you have a small roster, a mostly young roster, or a lack of veterans who have the type of personality where they'd not want to take people under their wing.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> Thanks Adam.</p><p> </p><p> For anyone that knows about NJPW, would relationships like Kojima/Juice Robinson, Nagata/Tomoyuki Oka and Nakanishi/Katsuya Kitamura fall under this mentor/protege relationship? It's know that the former wrestlers are the senpais of the latter, so I think this makes the most sense.</p>

Thanks Adam.

For anyone that knows about NJPW, would relationships like Kojima/Juice Robinson, Nagata/Tomoyuki Oka and Nakanishi/Katsuya Kitamura fall under this mentor/protege relationship? It's know that the former wrestlers are the senpais of the latter, so I think this makes the most sense.

Nagata/Oka absolutely, as he personally scouted him and has been basically holding his hand for his entire career thus far. The other two probably not, as they just seem like normal dojo relationships, but given time perhaps they could be.

I think it mainly has to do with personality (and age). In my current game, everyone who I'd expect to take someone under their wing, has (Meiko Satomura, Emi Sakura, Mayumi Ozaki, Nanae Takahashi, Daizee Haze (who, surprisingly, took Veda Scott as a protege), KAORU, La Diabolica, etc). Highly skilled veteran workers who are known for training people. I'm kind of expecting Nattie to take on a protege but it hasn't happened yet.

I think the mentor/protege relationship is fairly easy to figure out in reality. I think of Madison Eagles and Jessie McKay (aka Billie Kay) where, from the first time Madison started doing dates in the US, Jessie was her shadow (as a barely legal teenager). I get messages before every show about some mentor is passing on something to their protege. I don't check exactly how much is gained (this is a Ryland game. There's no way it would be a whole lot) but it adds to a worker's progression.

Archived