Refusing to fight higher ranked fighter?

Hey folks / Adam,

Just experienced a situation where a fighter refused a fight because the other guy wasn't a big enough name. Fine, normally, however this other fighter was much higher on the rankings. I'd think that would be quite unlikely in the real world wouldn't it as the fighter would surely want to climb the rankings?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Jules" data-cite="The Jules" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44761" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think it's more of a problem with the system that a huge name in a different country can still be considered Unknown in another.<p> </p><p> I'm not sure how realistic that is.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's also a huge problem in TEW honestly.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="kingdamo" data-cite="kingdamo" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44761" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>i didnt like this either. is there a setting to turn it off?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yep. It's Fantasy Match Making in User Preferences. </p><p> </p><p> I highly recommend putting this on. I understand that it's a game and part of the appeal is having to deal with this stuff but when you have to deal with like 30 guys bitching constantly it slows the game down so much. It's near impossible to keep track of everyone's quirks.</p>

<p>Give yourself 10 matchmaking in order to sell the fight better to your fighters.</p><p> </p><p>

In this case they don't care that much about ranking, but about selling the fight. These are usually mainstream names. They don't want to fight an obscure fighter that might beat them and ruin their rep.</p><p> </p><p>

They could also have the attribute "cautious". </p><p> </p><p>

But anyhow: you can turn it off if you don't like the management aspect of the game.</p>

I get it. I have a champion that refuses to fight the ENTIRE division. He isn't Connor McGregor, he's only Mid Level National in Japan and he literally will not fight any of the other 23 fighters in his division. It simply doesn't make any sense.

^Strip him? Move him up? Build up the other fighters?

I understand how to fix it. It's February 2002. This is default data and the ALPHA-1 LW champion will not fight anyone in the division. I can't imagine this being a case of anything other than something isn't working as intended.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dubb93" data-cite="dubb93" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44761" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I understand how to fix it. It's February 2002. This is default data and the ALPHA-1 LW champion will not fight anyone in the division. I can't imagine this being a case of anything other than something isn't working as intended.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Pretty sure from memory Sukarno will fight Go Yamamoto. And it only takes one popularity boost from Atep for Sukarno to fight him too. In reality matchmaking is not straight forward. I can imagine irl a guy who is known throughout the nation probably wouldn’t want to fight regional guys and would be looking for super fights against other national guys even if it’s across weight classes. If you want it to be easy turn on fantasy matchmaking</p>

I encountered a similar problem in my playthrough, Nathan Chambers refuses to fight anyone in my imported WMMA 3 to 4 database. My matchmaking rating is 10 and it has no effect. After running a few other examples, anyone with name value around high level national or above refuses to fight anyone who isn't regardless of rankings. I think that this feature could be a good thing, depending on the person (some fighters may only care about their "brand" and high name fights) but in this current build it comes off as a glitch or as something wrong because so many higher named fighters are refusing fights that would actually benefit them. And turning fantasy matchmaking on isn't an appropriate fix because it turns off many other features that have nothing to do with this - I don't want to turn off fighters refusing to fight for other reasons just because match making isn't working logically (in my opinion) in this instance.

Personally, I don't like this new system of refusal based on name value as I have imported my database from two different games - and this new system basically renders any main event matchmaking other than fantasy for high level national seemingly impossible (especially when trying to build world-ranked fighters from other promotions with low name value). Go-to matchups that always resulted in great fights between certain fighters before don't work anymore because of the new name value system. If there was a fix where exceptions to this rule could be made in situations of world rankings, I think that it would be much easier to adapt to. But as of right now, the system is something I personally do not like - and I would want a way to turn off this name value emphasis so match making was more like previous games.

Guest DutchMagpie
In my game, I wanted to give CM Punk another chance and wanted to book him against a low tier fighter but he refused half of the roster. So now I have booked him to fight Carlos Condit and he will probably gets his butt kicked again.

Archived