New to c-verse

I've discovered TEW with 13 and been playing since. However, I've always struggled to get a C-verse or thunder-verse game going so tend to stick to RW mods of various eras. But I've decided I'm determined to stick with a game in either C or thunder verse.

So I want to know what real life companies the Cverse or thunderverse companies relate to or if you don't think they relate to any, the way you think they book (kind of talent, matches etc.).

I know it's about using your imagination and booking how you want but I'd like to stick to some of the traditions of the companies and not deviate too far from that (e.g. a hulk Hogan style character in Dave.)

All advice would be greatly appreciated

There is a stickied thread that has a bunch of links to other threads about the C-Verse promotions. Lots of people give their booking opinions, hiring decisions and various other opinions about the different promotions, im not a big C-verse person but it did give me some good insight into the landscape. Hope this helps

<p>The individual promotion threads are a great shout when you want to learn me about a specific promotion. And if you wanna dabble in the ThunderVerse, there is a T-verse thread with plenty of conversation about the different companies. </p><p> </p><p>

A couple of points that I think its important to recognize about both the Cverse and Tverse. And can help when you are looking at them. </p><p> </p><p>

1. almost nothing is a direct takeoff of a real promotion or worker. There are similarities - sometimes strong ones - but always also differences. Good to remember when are trying to find someone like like <whoever>.</p><p> </p><p>

2. the best part if the blanks. The Cverse provides a lot of detail, canon, history, and elements. But plenty is left for you to fill in. And that's where a lot of us really get into the mods. If you are booking a real world mod - whether current or historical - you really don't have a lot of blanks to fill in. You don't need to think about what a WWE show in 2018 or 1996 look like - you can look. You don't need to think about the mannerisms and moves and such of Steve Austin or John Cena or Bryan Danielson because... well, you can just look. But the Cverse lets you fill in all of those. </p><p> </p><p>

3. it can help to connect to the real world. The fun prat if that not everyone will connect the same fictional worker to the same real world one, and you can end up with very different "takes". </p><p> </p><p>

4. reading diaries is a great way to dive in and see how someone else views a given company</p><p> </p><p>

Company Comparisons - C-Verse</p><p> </p><p>

Supreme Wrestling Federation - the WWE in the Attitude Era or Ruthless Aggression era. Even WCW at its peak, minus the CWs</p><p> </p><p>

United States Pro Wrestling - 80s WWF</p><p> </p><p>

Total Championship Wrestling - nothing quite directly comparable. 1988-1991 WCW, at times. A bigger, better ROH? </p><p> </p><p>

Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods - similar in a lot of ways to New Japan Pro Wrestling</p><p> </p><p>

Pride Glory Honor Wrestling - 1990s All Japan Pro Wrestling</p><p> </p><p>

South of the Border Pro Wrestling - don't know lucha enough to know what its closest to</p><p> </p><p>

North of the Border Pro Wrestling - nothing really that directly. </p><p> </p><p>

21st Century Wrestling - again, nothing compares that directly. A bigger, less edgy Progress? </p><p> </p><p>

All one person's opinion, of course</p>

<p>SOTBPW to me is AAA in Mexico in the early to mid 2000s, when they were introducing sports entertainment to Mexico.</p><p> </p><p>

And NOTBPW to me is a mix of St. Louis Wrestling Club from the 70s... old school with clean finishes... and Stampede Wrestling, with the Stones subbing in for the Harts. </p><p> </p><p>

CGC is like WCCW, only with a more soap operatic sports entertainment bent.</p><p> </p><p>

And that's just the Cult and above promotions... MAW is Mid Atlantic, NYCW is pre-Wrestlemania WWF... I can go on and on for hours about which products are similar to which promotions.</p>

<p>If you want your resident super indie promotion CZCW has that covered. ACPW is basically the same except with an exclusively junior heavyweight roster. 4C is a bit more violent and edgy, but they fit that mold too.</p><p> </p><p>

Over in Japan, EX2010 reminds me of a cross between Toryumon and Michinoku Pro of the 90s. Lots of young fliers and unique characters to provide a fun atmosphere. WLW would be more like Dragon Gate of modern, bigger than EX2010 and their young guys have fulfilled their potential and they are now world class stars.</p>

<p>Knew there would be some other comparisons. </p><p> </p><p>

Might just be me, but I've never seen the connection between Stampede and NOTBPW. Sure, Stampede could put on a good technical match at times, but the characters and gimmicks were such a big part of the promotion. I've never connected them to North of the Border because of the difference in focus. That's going by the product Stampede produced from the early 80s and on. Too young to have enjoyed their stuff prior to that.</p>

I think the best way of playing the C-Verse for the first time is playing as a small promotion, and viewing the world from the small stage to the big stage. The promotion I suggest playing with is MAW. They're pretty easy to grasp and have a very simple product. Book your shows, cheat if you want, and just view how the world operates and constantly be reading up on the characters and such. It's much easier than jumping into a SWF game and having new clue what is going on, and feeling you have to research to get started. When you're playing as a small promotion, you get to actually play the game and research at the same time.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Knew there would be some other comparisons. <p> </p><p> Might just be me, but I've never seen the connection between Stampede and NOTBPW. Sure, Stampede could put on a good technical match at times, but the characters and gimmicks were such a big part of the promotion. I've never connected them to North of the Border because of the difference in focus. That's going by the product Stampede produced from the early 80s and on. Too young to have enjoyed their stuff prior to that.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The only real comparison point is the Stones = the Harts. The product is much more typical of Wrestling At The Chase (St. Louis)... though probably with slightly higher Modern settings.</p><p> </p><p> If anything, I'd say Stampede product-wise was more like MAW than NOTBPW.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="woody316" data-cite="woody316" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've discovered TEW with 13 and been playing since. However, I've always struggled to get a C-verse or thunder-verse game going so tend to stick to RW mods of various eras. But I've decided I'm determined to stick with a game in either C or thunder verse.<p> </p><p> So I want to know what real life companies the Cverse or thunderverse companies relate to or if you don't think they relate to any, the way you think they book (kind of talent, matches etc.).</p><p> </p><p> I know it's about using your imagination and booking how you want but I'd like to stick to some of the traditions of the companies and not deviate too far from that (e.g. a hulk Hogan style character in Dave.)</p><p> </p><p> All advice would be greatly appreciated</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> C-Verse is like the MCU to me. It's loosely based off of real life, but it's very much its own standalone universe, and I believe the devs do it to allow us to form our own perfect little wrestling world. </p><p> </p><p> SWF is basically real life attitude era WWE. USPW is WWE if Vince McMahon didn't have to book for smarks and TCW is WWE if smarks crowd-funded it and ran it. SOTBPW is if AAA had a Santo (although Santo has his own parallel in El Patron) in the 21st century, BHOTWG is late-Inoki NJPW, PGHW is today's NJPW without its junior divison, GCG is similar to AJPW/Noah, and WLW is Dragon Gate. 21CW is pretty unparalleled as no British promotion is as big is it is today, but it's probably the closest thing to modern day WWE in game. RAW is Lucha Underground without the workrate, DaVE and all of its spin-offs are ECW and its clones. OLLIE is CMLL. There's no RoH type promotion, but CZCW embodies many of its attributes, but its closer to PWG as its a west coast promotion. CGC is your best bet if you want to play a save similar to today's Impact. NOTBPW and CWF are both incarnations of Stampede Wrestling. If you want to play a company similar to Chikara, ZEN is a good starting promotion, or else waiting for SAW to debut would be your thing. </p><p> </p><p> The Stones and the Harts are an obvious connection, and the DeColts are the Von Erichs if they didn't die. Master Kitozan is Rikidōzan, the aforementioned Santo is El Patron, Sam Strong is Hulk Hogan. However, both Jack Bruce and Micky Starr embody a lot of similar traits to Hogan as well. Bruce the Giant is a fairly loose adaptation of Andre.</p><p> </p><p> In modern times, it's a bit harder to draw direct parallels to WWE, as C-Verse as been branching off in TEW games for the past decade and a half or so. I'd say Tadayuki Kikkawa is very close to Inoki with INSPIRE and his adherence to MMA. Phil Vilbert seems like Paul Heyman without as much on-camera talent. Similarly, Richard Eisen seems like VKM without the on-camera talent. On the other hand, his son Eric is Shane with more in-ring talent. Nicky Champion/Rocky Golden are your bland Cena/Roman faces, both decent workers but are mostly pushed because of look and pop. Mikey James (the guy in my icon) is pretty close to Steamboat, but his mainstream career just started so we'll see. Hiroyasu Gakusha and Toshiharu Hyonbanshi remind me of Hideo Itami and Naomichi Marufuji, as they are the proteges of two legends that are outside the mainstream promotions. Jim Force is if Ultimate Warrior never received his massive push, and Remo is Bobby Lashley if he was as good as he is now as he was when he was 22. Java is pretty similar to Haku, he's a pretty damn scary guy. Puerto Rican Power is a loose adaptation of Judas Medias. KC Glenn is still a young prospect, but I would say a bulked up version is pretty close to an AJ Styles clone. Dark Angel is pretty close to Sting, but if he was more based around plain work-rate rather than character development. Probably not a perfect comparison, but Big Smack Scott reminds me of late-career Scott Steiner. Both Kozue Kawashima and Razan Okamoto are potential Okada clones imo, but Kozue seems more like an Okada/The Rock hybrid (it's hard to explain but he's awesome like that, use jtlant's render!) The women are pretty loosely based. Alicia Strong seems to be an equivalent to Brook Hogan, but if she was 100000000% more talented, attractive and committed to wrestling. Joanne Rodriguez reminds me of Ivalisse or Sara Del Rey. More the latter as she most likely missed her chance at mainstream glory. Killer Kass seems to be fast-tracked as Awesome Kong. That's all I can think of. Sean McFly is nothing like Jim Neidhart but he married into the Stones similarly. Tim Westybrook or Raymond Diaz are probably your best choices for a Lesnar-esque workrate monster. There are some awesome renders of both. Unfortunately, they're both likely hitting time decline very soon in 2016.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BrokenCycle" data-cite="BrokenCycle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think the best way of playing the C-Verse for the first time is playing as a small promotion, and viewing the world from the small stage to the big stage. The promotion I suggest playing with is MAW. They're pretty easy to grasp and have a very simple product. Book your shows, cheat if you want, and just view how the world operates and constantly be reading up on the characters and such. It's much easier than jumping into a SWF game and having new clue what is going on, and feeling you have to research to get started. When you're playing as a small promotion, you get to actually play the game and research at the same time.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> MAW is always the perfect starter fed. Easy to learn product, decent but not extraordinary talent, and you don't lose anyone to the first round of poaches typically. This year's roster is a bit tougher than the Jay Chord/Mean Machine days but it's still doable.</p><p> </p><p> GCG is also another good one if you're just learning to put matches together with CVerse talent. There's not much to micromanage, no angles, and simple booking.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Luchador Canadiense" data-cite="Luchador Canadiense" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The only real comparison point is the Stones = the Harts. The product is much more typical of Wrestling At The Chase (St. Louis)... though probably with slightly higher Modern settings.<p> </p><p> If anything, I'd say Stampede product-wise was more like MAW than NOTBPW.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Very much agree on Harts = Stones in many ways. </p><p> </p><p> Did you get to watch pre-1984 Stampede at all? I have a feeling older stuff was more straight-forward. By the mid-80s, they were pretty heavy on the characters and gimmicks. The manager doing the **** gimmick. Jason the Terrible violating all the copyrights. Dude was terrifying to a 6 year old at a house show, carrying around his "machete".</p>

<p>I liken Jack Bruce to pre-injury Shawn Michaels, and Micky Starr as Billy Graham with Bruno Sammartino's booking. Nicky Champion is John Cena, and Rocky Golden is Batista or Roman.</p><p> </p><p>

To echo others, MAW or a similar company in other regions is the perfect starting point.</p>

<p>I find SWF easiest, as 80 is about my average show with the default rosters. It would probably take a few months for me to get USPW the 85+ shows their pop requires, and USPW's tag division is an utter mess in comparison to SWF and especially Total. </p><p> </p><p>

In addition, USPW starts off getting slaughtered in National Battles, so you need to make some big signings (eg Marat, Ross Henry).</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LlamaSquad" data-cite="LlamaSquad" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I find SWF easiest, as 80 is about my average show with the default rosters. It would probably take a few months for me to get USPW the 85+ shows their pop requires, and USPW's tag division is an utter mess in comparison to SWF and especially Total. <p> </p><p> In addition, USPW starts off getting slaughtered in National Battles, so you need to make some big signings (eg Marat, Ross Henry).</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks, what if you do not sign Marat and Henry, you automatically drop to cult?</p><p> </p><p> What about TCW?</p>

<p>I've found the two options for TCW depends on your destiny rolls. You could get Marat, I did when I had Peak and Bach on decline.</p><p> </p><p>

On my second save, only RDJ, Hill and Bryant were on decline and Chord and Peak are part of my National Battles.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Skywalker1976" data-cite="Skywalker1976" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thanks, what if you do not sign Marat and Henry, you automatically drop to cult?<p> </p><p> What about TCW?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think generally USPW has enough of a lead that losing the first month won’t make them fall to Cult like the other two. Henry won’t factor into the decision but he’s a B- popularity super rookie. Marat single handedly wins any company the battle I think, so personally I try to avoid signing him. He’s a great surefire boost if you want less pressure.</p><p> </p><p> The problem with TCW is that their guys are much lower in popularity across the board. Once you get past Rocky/RDJ/Wolf, Bach and Andrews are great wrestlers but not nearly the stars that they could be. The biggest issue there is you might fall to cult (unless you sign Marat) and depending on RNG you could get hosed out of one of your top stars if you’re still in cooldown when Rocky or Wolf comes for negotiation.</p>

<p>Age is a factor for all three, to varying degrees. Almost entire one who pushes to ME for the SWF at the start could be on Time Decline. The rosters all need renewal and rebuilding to some degree.</p><p> </p><p>

In TCW, attrition is going to be your biggest enemy besides the overness at the top of the card (a bigger problem) and age (lesser, and varies save to save). This is a common topic in the TCW thread, but your top guys will get poached by USPW, SOTBPW and even the SWF. You can try to hold onto the top talent, notably by playing as the owner and crippling the company financially. Everyone approaches it differently, but I've come to just accept it and just look to build up a new generation of TCW stars and try to plan around likely departures. </p><p> </p><p>

I haven't booked USPW on TEW 2016, but with both TCW and Supreme, you may need to be a bit careful with the booking off the start. As Showtime notes, the popularity of the top TCW guys is a weakness and needs some carefully maneuvering, but its doable. Grabbing Marat is the workaround for any of the three.</p>

<p>I consider diaries canon. When taken as a whole, the diaries create a nuanced and complicated C-Verse compared to outline provided in the database. </p><p> </p><p>

For major companies, this primarily includes the longer and more popular dynasties. For minor companies, this includes any that have been written. Often, writers will explain database events in the diary prelude, providing detail to championship reigns and match results.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Skywalker1976" data-cite="Skywalker1976" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thanks, what if you do not sign Marat and Henry, you automatically drop to cult?<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It takes some luck, but TCW and USPW can stay at National. However, you'd need to book with this in mind, and put guys over who start with high star quality to win the national battles. I find the best way to do this is to offset poor match ratings with angles to gain popularity on shows. </p><p> </p><p> I usually try to get Joss Thompson in USPW and Jay Chord in TCW into the Main Event for this reason. </p><p> </p><p> This is pretty easy with Menace and Popularity angles. Usually, your top stars can be counted on for an A-A* angle. </p><p> </p><p> Of course, if SWF books things perfectly, it'll be difficult to impossible not to eventually fall to Cult. However, if SWF loses a major player, it can also be difficult not to fall to Cult. </p><p> </p><p> Either way, it's going to be really touch and go for the first couple months.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45752" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Very much agree on Harts = Stones in many ways. <p> </p><p> Did you get to watch pre-1984 Stampede at all? I have a feeling older stuff was more straight-forward. By the mid-80s, they were pretty heavy on the characters and gimmicks. The manager doing the **** gimmick. Jason the Terrible violating all the copyrights. Dude was terrifying to a 6 year old at a house show, carrying around his "machete".</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've seen a hit of the older stuff (late 70s-early 80s) that was recently posted to Youtube. There is still plenty of non-clean finishes. Until recently, accessing old footage of Stampede was near impossible.</p><p> </p><p> It's an interesting enough watch, but you start to realize quickly that Vincent may hyped Stampede up a fair bit while mythologizing the Harts. It's not nearly as much fun to watch as Memphis, Portland or Mid Atlantic, and I say that as a Canadian who is fond of the Hart legacy.</p>

I consider diaries canon. When taken as a whole, the diaries create a nuanced and complicated C-Verse compared to outline provided in the database.

For major companies, this primarily includes the longer and more popular dynasties. For minor companies, this includes any that have been written. Often, writers will explain database events in the diary prelude, providing detail to championship reigns and match results.

That's a lot of reading just to create a jumbled and inconsistent idea of the universe. You just use your own imagination.

Thanks, what if you do not sign Marat and Henry, you automatically drop to cult?

Nah you can survive pretty well as all three (TCW is hardest I think, not because of the talent, but because they're on a terrible network and if you aren't playing the owner they're too stingy to make big money deals as some ill-advised austerity measure), but you have to know how the game works to do it well. Most importantly, you need to understand how to feed popularity to the stars and not get stuck in the "He's auto-pushed as a Main Eventer, which must mean he should be in our main events!" mentality, and other rookie mistakes.

That's why most people who say "I'm new to C-Verse" get that "sign Marat and leave him to warm the bench" recommendation, which stinks imo because the point of the National Battles is for you to struggle in the big leagues.

Marat makes sense as the guy to swing a National Battle. While he's garbage in ring (well, he has some decent brawling and he's safer than the average oaf-hoss), he's insanely over and is the most impressive physical profile for any pro wrestling in C Verse. Think of a 7 foot tall Lesnar (without the skills) mixed with Ivan Drago. That's Khoklov.

Archived