The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

Interesting to me that the Rush push has begun alongside rumours Andrade wants out of AEW-- I don't think he's had a fantastic run with them so it is believable he'd see the writing on the wall. But now with Rush signing it seems to me that Preston Vance is going to turn and become their enforcer. 

Seems like the Dark Order is being dismantled-- which is sad! 

Jamie Hayter is so fun to watch! It's a shame that her push might be been derailed by the arrival of Saraya as the person to feud with Britt. Also you can draw some similarities between Saraya and Hayter. I just hope they keep Saraya out the ring-- I can still remember the clip of her re-injury in the ring with Sasha vividly. 

Nyla and Jade should be an interesting match-up and a signal Jade is nearing the end of her streak if she starts picking off talent higher up the totem pole. 

2 hours ago, Dalton said:

Glad to see Moriarty getting some shine, even if it should've happened 6+ months ago alongside Yuta and Garcia. 

Rush has been a big surprise in AEW for me and is (as of now) slowly shedding the poor rep he has. Hanger vs him should be a good one.

I believe his niece or something got shot in a driveby and they gave him time off. Can't remember if that was earlier in the year or not. They were building him up a record on that show that shall not be named last I looked. 

Edited by Makhai
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Makhai said:

I believe his niece or something got shot in a driveby and they gave him time off. Can't remember if that was earlier in the year or not. They were building him up a record on that show that shall not be named last I looked. 

He didn't take any extended time off after that. His nephew was killed on May 29th, his next match was June 11th. That was his usual time between AEW matches around then.

The Danielson/Moxley promo where Danielson name dropped Yuta, Garcia and Moriarty was on February 2nd. The Blackpool Combat Club was formed on March 6th (Yuta joined April 8th). The Jericho Appreciation Society (with Garcia) was formed on March 9th. 

Moriarty was just left out of it all, for one reason or another.

image.png

Edited by Dalton

8 hours ago, milamber said:

Rumor is Bandido is signed. I hope he comes out after the Hangman match to set up a future tag match against Andrade & Rush.

Meltzer reported he was signed yesterday. And I hope he doesn't just get lumped in with Death Triangle, or the Andrade group and shuffled off into the brown people end of TK's toy box, with nothing to do and nowhere to go but Rampage and AAA. It's becoming a bit of a theme. 

I typically enjoy Excalibur on commentary, but his refusal to call super kicks as super kicks when they're done by anyone other than the Elite is mind numbingly annoying. Especially when another announcer says super kick and Excalibur chimes in saying thrust kick. As if it's only a super kick if you're an EVP. 

32 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

I'm happy that the world is getting to see how good Jamie Hayter is. As somebody that found out 4 to 5 years ago watching the UK independent scene and then STARDOM, it's just been really cool watching her journey up to this point.

Same. I remember when she returned to help Britt and people on facebook were calling her Becky Lynch-lite, but Jamie entertains me far more than Becky Lynch has ever done. Not trying to take away from Becky as I do like her too, just not as much as I like Jamie. 

The crowds want Jamie to win too, which is nice. 

2 hours ago, alphadraighon said:

Not take a position on the Punk/Elite situation, which honestly I just want over with so maybe things can get worked on changing for the better, I find this hilarious. (Though admittedly I'm a bigger fan of Al Bundy that most people in this world)

6vqjw1.jpg

I don’t get it. I think Punk’s run for the year he was there was some of the best tv AEW did especially the MJF feud which was the best feud in wrestling in years.

16 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

I don’t get it. I think Punk’s run for the year he was there was some of the best tv AEW did especially the MJF feud which was the best feud in wrestling in years.

I'm not taking any stance. But it definitely elevated MJF to a higher status. Deservedly so.

On a somewhat different topic. I watched an interview with MJF recently. He said he is open to going anywhere that offers him the most money when his AEW contract is up. However, he made it absolutely clear he will not go to NJPW! Anybody got any light to shed on that situation? I would love to see him with the talent that is there. I think it has to do with Okada being the "Ace" after all these years and not pushing many others. I also think NJPW would stifle him a little bit as well, as they hardly ever do promos, except for the end of the night interview with the main event winner. Him not getting mic time on a regular basis kind of kills his ego vibe. Although Will Ospreay still comes off with a similar persona and does just fine. So I don't know.

I think it is harder for an established star, especially American, that has not been in New Japan to carry over. Even some stars who have been there in the past are struggling to get over again. *cough* Good Brothers *cough*

Edited by djskeemask

I think MJF just says the opposite of whatever he thinks a typical internet wrestling fan would like, or an indy wrestler would say. Lots of wrestlers talk about following their dreams or seeking creative freedom for their art, so MJF says he'll go to whoever pays him the most. The Miz is looked down upon by diehard fans, so MJF "loves The Miz" when he's compared to him. New Japan has been held up as this mark of excellence for a long time, so MJF says they suck and isn't interested. 

The guy aims for heat with pretty much everything he does. If he's smart he'll never reveal his true feelings on anything ever. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Self said:

I think MJF just says the opposite of whatever he thinks a typical internet wrestling fan would like, or an indy wrestler would say. Lots of wrestlers talk about following their dreams or seeking creative freedom for their art, so MJF says he'll go to whoever pays him the most. The Miz is looked down upon by diehard fans, so MJF "loves The Miz" when he's compared to him. New Japan has been held up as this mark of excellence for a long time, so MJF says they suck and isn't interested. 

The guy aims for heat with pretty much everything he does. If he's smart he'll never reveal his true feelings on anything ever. 

There is truth to that. However, he was fairly candid with this guy. I went back and watched it again. He is very articulate and has a huge knowledge of the business. It really seemed like MJF has a true hatred for NJPW. "Dog s***" is his exact words. He was upset with Okada getting #2 in the PWI Top 500. He says the only guy he likes in NJPW is "Killer Khan" which I'm pretty sure he's referring to Great O-Khan. He has great taste. O-Khan is one of my favs too.

Great interview with MJF

(PS...Adam, I know I've been warned, but I don't think this violates copyright at all. If you are uncomfortable with it in any way, please feel free to edit it, no hard feelings bud.)

I think Self absolutely nailed it, MJF in character plays to his audiene which is largely based on fans who follow on the internet, and will hopefully one day also include a wider audience too.  If something, ANYTHING, is a popular stance, he will say the opposite to get heat and he's wonderful at it.  That said, the local sports team heat is something I can do without because I, and 99% of viewers at home, don't support that team so t's not going to get much heat most of the time.  I feel WWE and AEW are both bad for that, similar to when people play up the patriotism in a global company.... like, American babyface might be over in that arena but he's just generic babyface to the rest of the world

Anywho, tangential thought aside, I wonder what MJF is lke in real lfe.  I can't imagine he's anything lke the heel he plays in front of fans, which makes me think he's mostly an absolute sweetheart like Adam Cole :)

• Like 1

I caught Adam and Britt on an episode of Bar Rescue with that obnoxious jerk of a host. They were so nice and friendly. They played the recon couple to go in and check it out before the host came in to surprise them. I really find it hard to believe that nobody in the bar recognized them. They didn't do anything to change their looks except for street clothes.

AEW gets a million-ish viewers a week and NXT was lucky to get that.... compared to the US overall, that means less than 1 in 300 people watch Adam Cole and probably even less have seen Britt given that AEW's booking of the women's division could improve..... for them, I doubt they were surprised they weren't recognised outside of a wresling related thing.  Very few people know much about wrestling compared to how many people there actually are :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djskeemask said:

I caught Adam and Britt on an episode of Bar Rescue with that obnoxious jerk of a host. They were so nice and friendly. They played the recon couple to go in and check it out before the host came in to surprise them. I really find it hard to believe that nobody in the bar recognized them. They didn't do anything to change their looks except for street clothes.

It's not like Cole or Baker have "the look" of a wrestler. I like both but Adam Cole just looks like a human bobblehead. 

• Haha 1