The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

What is the point of ROH?  I was never an ROH fan to begin with, but I don't understand what AEW is doing with the brand.  The ROH acquisition has essentially amounted to a new set of secondary titles that very few people actually care about.  Sure, it's great that Claudio has a title, but we didn't need ROH for that.  It seems to me that ROH wrestlers are mostly just there to lose matches to AEW talent.  What is the plan for ROH going forward?  They might as well just re-invent Dark or Elevation as an ROH show.

2 hours ago, OneWarriorNation said:

What is the point of ROH?  I was never an ROH fan to begin with, but I don't understand what AEW is doing with the brand.  The ROH acquisition has essentially amounted to a new set of secondary titles that very few people actually care about.  Sure, it's great that Claudio has a title, but we didn't need ROH for that.  It seems to me that ROH wrestlers are mostly just there to lose matches to AEW talent.  What is the plan for ROH going forward?  They might as well just re-invent Dark or Elevation as an ROH show.

There is no real plan going forward. It seems TK let his old ROHbot days make decisions for him when he bought the company and now he doesn't know what to do with his new toy. Best case scenario, ROH becomes AEW's developmental but more than likely this is the new WWECW.

The source was listed as the WON, so take this with a grain of salt, but apparently Jericho watched Andretti's match with QT on one of the YouTube shows and said he's a star in the making and Jericho wanted to help make him one. Supposedly, it was in the works since the QT match.

• Like 1

I simply do not understand people hating on Jericho for this. If Jericho thought doing something charitable would get himself more over......then that's a good thing...? 

If he makes a name out of an unknown while also helping himself in the long run, then that's another stroke of genius from him. Any pro wrestler should want to be able to achieve that. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Jericho just put him over so people would compliment him for being so charitable. I’ve never seen someone do something on tv like that than the next day say “yea this was my idea to make him a star (please love me now)”

I don't think this is Jericho's intentions at all. For all that Jericho has his sins and seemingly favourable booking, he's a guy who has been in the business longer than some people watching AEW have been alive and it's pretty obvious whatever influence he has is helping AEW out so I think he's fine on this one. It's a dumb complaint to pick on it for the act of seemingly being self serving and charitable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Big Roguey said:

I don't think this is Jericho's intentions at all. For all that Jericho has his sins and seemingly favourable booking, he's a guy who has been in the business longer than some people watching AEW have been alive and it's pretty obvious whatever influence he has is helping AEW out so I think he's fine on this one. It's a dumb complaint to pick on it for the act of seemingly being self serving and charitable.

I don’t believe it is a charitable act personally. I think it was selfish cause he knew it wouldn’t actually get Andretti over but people would talk about how Jericho was so kind to put the kid over.

3 hours ago, Dalton said:

I simply do not understand people hating on Jericho for this. If Jericho thought doing something charitable would get himself more over......then that's a good thing...? 

If he makes a name out of an unknown while also helping himself in the long run, then that's another stroke of genius from him. Any pro wrestler should want to be able to achieve that. 

My belief is he’s not doing it to help himself on screen but make him like a better person off screen. He’s been shown to care a lot what the dirtsheets and what not think.

Let's go jobber! :)  For real, I really enjoyed the overall presentation of the Jericho vs Action Andretti match... it was fun hearing Excalibur's call as he was surprised the match was continuing into the commercial break... it was fun when he sounded surprised the match was still going on after the break... it was fun hearing the crowd chanting "Let's go jobber" thanks to Jericho planting that seed in his promo earlier in the night... it was fun for every near fall Andretti got because we all KNEW Jericho would win in the end... it was fun seeing Andretti kick out of the Codebreaker because we were sure he was toast by then.... the whole match was fun and the crowd made it awesome for responding exactly how Jericho wanted them to... and when Andretti got the win, I threw my arms in the air and swore out loud because at no point in the match did I think it was really going to happen but was thinking about how cool it would be if Jericho lost to someone I'd never heard of.  And it happened!

It was awesome.  Loved it.  And it succeeded in getting people to talk about Jericho, it succeeded in getting people to talk about Action Andretti and it succeeded in telling a fun story overall within one night and hopefully beyond.  Everything else is just people reacting to it, which is generally coloured by our own general perception of wrestling, and the long story will be told by AEW booking going forward.  But I loved it.  One of my favourite matches of the year because of how much I reacted to it, even though there are other matches that more people probably liked more.  Opinions will always vary :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eternal Phoenix said:

Doing a good thing for a selfish reason is still doing a good thing. It's wrestling. God only knows if Jericho putting Andretti over will work long term, whether he intended it to or not. It was still something he didn't need to do but did anyway. Everything else is a bunch of hot air.

It can be a good thing and Jericho can still come across as a self-aggrandizing jerk. These aren't mutually exclusive. See: Hogan putting Billy Kidman over. The main difference is that Hogan used doing that as an excuse to not put others over while Jericho appears to be using it as "Look at me, everybody! Aren't I the most beloved veteran of all time? Do you not love every single thing about me?"

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

It can be a good thing and Jericho can still come across as a self-aggrandizing jerk. These aren't mutually exclusive. 

I didn't mean to imply that they were. My point is why does it matter if Jericho is being a self-aggrandizing jerk in this specific context? He put a nobody by comparison to him over of his own free will. Got beat clean on national television. No interference. No cheating. No excuses other than cheap heel BS like "I wasn't ready" or whatever he's gonna say about it tomorrow night. He didn't have to do that. Nobody would have thought less of him if he kept his mouth shut or let it be the usual 5 minute or less squash. Whether he did it out of the kindness of his heart or is kind of irrelevant, in my opinion, precisely because he did what long time vets are supposed to do. What he's been doing for the back third/quarter of his career. Use his star power to elevate other talent. Has it gone perfectly? No. But he could easily just not work with lesser known talent at all. Honestly, if he's only doing it to make himself look better then surprise! Doing good things for others makes people think better of you. He's cracked the code. Good for him. 

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

I can't believe people are seriously complaining about a top guy doing the honors to an unknown. 

Some of y'all make my head hurt 😝

It just bothers me to see guys who could really use a win over someone like Jericho where it could make the person a bigger star than Jericho. Someone like Hobbs, Starks, Miro, etc could get to that next level but that’s not something Jericho wants. He wants to be the biggest star.