The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

2 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

It just bothers me to see guys who could really use a win over someone like Jericho where it could make the person a bigger star than Jericho. Someone like Hobbs, Starks, Miro, etc could get to that next level but that’s not something Jericho wants. He wants to be the biggest star.

You're acting like Jericho is on par with someone like Hulk Hogan. Jericho has helped make others in AEW more relevant numerous times since the inception of AEW. I don't know if Jericho kicked your dog or what, but Jericho is a pro and typically does what's right. 😛

Tony Khan's erratic booking is more of a problem than Jericho. 

Anyways, the best of seven series needs to end and Rick Knox should never referee a tag or trios match again.

Edited by Jaysin

My thought on Jericho putting over Action was something similar to TEW's own Tommy Cornell saw in Wolf Hawkins, an unknown who Tommy thought to be the future of his company, which turned out to be true. Now I'm not saying that its exactly the same, like I don't see Jericho personally training Andretti for him to BE a massive star, thats for the future to show. The thing we have to see is if he can sink or swim. Will he indeed be a future big star like Jericho thinks? Or will he end up like Shelton Benjamin, and use this one win over Jericho as his reason to be taken seriously. Hopefully it works out for him.

7 hours ago, Eternal Phoenix said:

I didn't mean to imply that they were. My point is why does it matter if Jericho is being a self-aggrandizing jerk in this specific context? He put a nobody by comparison to him over of his own free will. Got beat clean on national television. No interference. No cheating. No excuses other than cheap heel BS like "I wasn't ready" or whatever he's gonna say about it tomorrow night. He didn't have to do that. Nobody would have thought less of him if he kept his mouth shut or let it be the usual 5 minute or less squash. Whether he did it out of the kindness of his heart or is kind of irrelevant, in my opinion, precisely because he did what long time vets are supposed to do. What he's been doing for the back third/quarter of his career. Use his star power to elevate other talent. Has it gone perfectly? No. But he could easily just not work with lesser known talent at all. Honestly, if he's only doing it to make himself look better then surprise! Doing good things for others makes people think better of you. He's cracked the code. Good for him. 

In this specific context? It doesn't matter any more than usual. Jericho's done far worse to make me hate his guts. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm personally exhausted with calls to praise this sad old man for doing crap veteran wrestlers are supposed to. Jushin Liger put over Chase Owens of all people! Where was his ticker tape parade for losing to that geek? Oh right, he was doing the job because his prime was long gone like the guys who came before him did when their time was up. That Jericho is treated as some sort of good samaritan for doing the same says a lot about his generation of wrestlers.

I have no issue with Andretti getting a win over Jericho, frankly I'd love it if anyone Jericho worked with in the past ten years not named MJF (and also isn't a POS named Sammy) got elevated by him. I just refuse to give Jericho a pat on the back for doing what any wrestler his age should be doing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

It can be a good thing and Jericho can still come across as a self-aggrandizing jerk. These aren't mutually exclusive. See: Hogan putting Billy Kidman over. The main difference is that Hogan used doing that as an excuse to not put others over while Jericho appears to be using it as "Look at me, everybody! Aren't I the most beloved veteran of all time? Do you not love every single thing about me?"

Hogan did not put Kidman over. 

Jericho vs Andretti is the only match of its kind I can think of. An even match between a legend and a straight up unknown that ended with a clean pinfall after a move. 

Edited by Dalton

56 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Hogan did not put Kidman over. 

Jericho vs Andretti is the only match of its kind I can think of. An even match between a legend and a straight up unknown that ended with a clean pinfall after a move. 

I think the closest you get in the modern Era is the first Cody vs Darby match.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

I don’t believe it is a charitable act personally. I think it was selfish cause he knew it wouldn’t actually get Andretti over but people would talk about how Jericho was so kind to put the kid over.

Action Andretti was a literal unknown at the start of the month. I'm pretty plugged into the independent scene and had no earthly idea about this kid. People know about him now. So yes, he did get Andretti over while also getting over the next evolution of his character. You're out to lunch if you don't see that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Action Andretti was a literal unknown at the start of the month. I'm pretty plugged into the independent scene and had no earthly idea about this kid. People know about him now. So yes, he did get Andretti over while also getting over the next evolution of his character. You're out to lunch if you don't see that.

He got Andretti known not over. 

21 minutes ago, Big Roguey said:

It's been a week my guy, give it time to breathe before deciding on an arbitrary line between known/over.

I hear that. At the same people are saying he’s over. He reminds of Dante Martin. I see it following the same pattern as Dante where the crowd will be behind him than will decapate from piss poor booking of TK. 

speaking of that I hope Starks doesn’t just disappear from the title picture entirely. He hung with MJF he should be hovering around the level and these two should definitely revisit this feud.

- Starting off hot with Ricky, JAS and Andretti.
- Young Bucks vs Death Triangle V was great. Surprised there was no blood during the match.
- MJF mad. Andretti is a decent promo. The fireball shot looked good.
- Fun stuff from Danielson, Egon & Stoke.
- Season's Greetings from the King of TV.
- HOOK getting more TV time. Jungle Boy is trash lol.
- Mox vs Darius was solid. Accidental Mox blood.
- These Hobbs vignettes are fantastic.
- The Gunns vs FTR was good. Gunns needed the win.
- Sonjay rap lol.
- Swerve/Lee/Ross segment was mostly poor. Parker's mannerisms are too goofy. Never seen the other guy before. Swerve should be solo or at least paired with Shane Taylor & JD Griffey. At least the cinder block spot reminded me of Lucha Underground.
- Shida vs Hayter (c) was my MOTN. Storm & Saraya to the rescue.

TK did the right thing and trusted the women to main event.

Edited by milamber

Hayter vs Shida was all kinds of dope. They had fantastic chemistry together. Major props to both ladies and whatever producer helped them. Slotting them in the main event was the right move. 

Also, the Gunns wearing Bret Hart influenced gear was brilliant. 

Rick Ross calling Keith Lee a "big mother f****r" was hilarious, but other than that, he was awful and annoying and one of the worst celeb crossovers I can remember in recent memory. 

Swerve will thrive as a heel, but his weird looking affiliates are just offputting. They're not intimidating, they're just goofs. Parker looks like a giant child and the other dude looks like a wannabe soundcloud rapper.

A bit harsh to call Rick Ross the worse celeb. He's one of the few TK has used that I had actually heard of lol. His backstage bit the other week was funny. No one came out of that segment looking good. Although props to Swerve for nailing that cinder block stomp.

Edited by milamber

I didn't say Ross was THE worst, just one of the worst in recent memory. 

Not sure why Ross or Bow Wow are even being used. Neither is even relevant in 2022. 

I don't mind celeb crossovers, but Ross wouldn't shut the hell up and he kept repeating the same things over and over again. 

Other than the cinder block spot and the f bomb, that whole segment was trash

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:46 AM, Big Roguey said:

Back up is good, it's nice that wrestlers have friends.

One of the dumbest tropes in wrestling is that the wrestlers don't have friends. It's nice to see a company actually realize, hey, these people are in a big locker room and are likely to make friends and form cliques. It's like the single most realistic thing AEW does lmao.