The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

22 minutes ago, falling_star said:

I have no idea what his old, frail body is going to do at DoN, but I'm here for it. Love me some Sabu.

Sean Waltman had a very good line about Sabu being the person who has given the most to pro wrestling and gotten the least in return. Lance Storm also tells stories about how Sabu would "botch" on purpose just to work Dave Meltzer. That makes him an even bigger legend in my eyes. 

I don't expect a huge spot, but I do see him doing something he probably shouldn't do at his age lol

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Sean Waltman had a very good line about Sabu being the person who has given the most to pro wrestling and gotten the least in return. Lance Storm also tells stories about how Sabu would "botch" on purpose just to work Dave Meltzer. That makes him an even bigger legend in my eyes. 

I don't expect a huge spot, but I do see him doing something he probably shouldn't do at his age lol

The pop for Sabu on the live broadcast was huge. Guy is still over even after a decade plus out of the spotlight.

The AEW fans were loud for Sabu as the TNA fans were for Dusty in TNA. Thought it was an amazing moment.

Sabu could've been a huge star in either 90s WCW or 90s WWF, but he was undervalued and overlooked time and time again. He was nearly a huge star in WWE before getting busted for drugs.

Guy should've been a top guy for 10 years in wrestling but sadly the backwards-thinking industry leaders let him and the fans down.

5 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I didn't realize I could love Sabu more than I already did. More people need to watch his matches with Taz in ECW. Sabu was a much more rounded worker than people think. He just made more money crashing through tables.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaysin said:

His worked botches weren't just to work Meltzer. They were to add even more unpredictability to his matches—one of the most influential US wrestlers of all time. Modern high-flying, modern indie wrestling, and hardcore wrestling were all changed by Sabu. ☝️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Sabu could've been a huge star in either 90s WCW or 90s WWF, but he was undervalued and overlooked time and time again. He was nearly a huge star in WWE before getting busted for drugs.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Uso gets 3 DUIs and gets handed a year and a half tag team title reign.

4 hours ago, Hollywood said:

His worked botches weren't just to work Meltzer. They were to add even more unpredictability to his matches—one of the most influential US wrestlers of all time. Modern high-flying, modern indie wrestling, and hardcore wrestling were all changed by Sabu. ☝️

Sabu's look and gimmick were really unique and inspired many.

He was probably the most important person in the company on the cutting edge of the attitude era (ECW) and Sabu did it all while rarely saying a word in his promos. That's an extremely impressive and unique wrestling legacy. 

I don't necessarily think Sabu missed out on the wrestling business. He achieved a lot, both in the US and Japan But WCW and WWF (along with many US fans) missed out on Sabu, and that's a real shame. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, milamber said:

I love AEW but my hype for the PPV is low. Collision and All In seem more interesting. But it wouldn't be the first time an average-on-paper PPV has overchieved.

It's a weird one - Dynamite has been on fire for the past two/three months but this card doesn't reflect it. Anarchy is definitely the entire hype for the show, and it's got the most unpredictability tied to it. I hope Takeshita gets involved and takes his first real step in being a big player.
I'm sure it will be solid from top to bottom, and AitA is guaranteed to be worth the price of admission, but it feels like it's missing something. Of course, one big return / debut could change all that and make it unforgettable...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aXminster said:

OC opening the show took me completely out of it. Him winning again just made it worse.

Without paraphrasing Jim Cornette, what exactly is your problem with Orange Cassidy? He's over as rover and has fun matches with pretty much everyone. Is it the comedy aspects? 

18 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

Without paraphrasing Jim Cornette, what exactly is your problem with Orange Cassidy? He's over as rover and has fun matches with pretty much everyone. Is it the comedy aspects? 

I used to love how he was handled at first. Like a special attraction, wrestling sporadically. There was a spot in one of the first Dynamites that had a Inner Circle vs Elite backstage brawl and he was just hanging out in a random bathroom out of nowhere. That was really funny.

The problem is when the supposedly lazy wrestler is wrestling the same 18-minute matches every single week.

I know I'm in the absolute minority, but it's legit go-away heat for me. Same with Jeff Jarrett and a few others.

15 minutes ago, aXminster said:

I used to love how he was handled at first. Like a special attraction, wrestling sporadically. There was a spot in one of the first Dynamites that had a Inner Circle vs Elite backstage brawl and he was just hanging out in a random bathroom out of nowhere. That was really funny.

The problem is when the supposedly lazy wrestler is wrestling the same 18-minute matches every single week.

I know I'm in the absolute minority, but it's legit go-away heat for me. Same with Jeff Jarrett and a few others.

Fair enough, I just look at him like how TNA used the X Division as the opening attraction match that's full of high octane action. I can see how that's not everyone cup of tea and that someone could get bored of it. Strangely enough, for me, knowing I can count on seeing at least Orange Cassidy having a fun match, I have something to look forward to. 

Hopefully Hayter goes over strong. Outcasts as workers I like, but not the angle in the slightest. 

3 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

Fair enough, I just look at him like how TNA used the X Division as the opening attraction match that's full of high octane action. I can see how that's not everyone cup of tea and that someone could get bored of it. Strangely enough, for me, knowing I can count on seeing at least Orange Cassidy having a fun match, I have something to look forward to. 

Hopefully Hayter goes over strong. Outcasts as workers I like, but not the angle in the slightest. 

The difference between the x-division and OC opening shows is that the x-division was many different wrestlers each week like WCW. They’d put on display different wrestlers each week which would stop people from getting over exposed.

Just now, The Blonde Bomber said:

The difference between the x-division and OC opening shows is that the x-division was many different wrestlers each week like WCW. They’d put on display different wrestlers each week which would stop people from getting over exposed.

Orange is facing someone new every week and they always look good in defeat. 

2 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

Orange is facing someone new every week and they always look good in defeat. 

He's like MJF in that sense. MJF is great because he is not out there wrestling for 20 minutes every week. He could do it and it would be banger after banger after banger, no doubt, but less matches make it feel more special when he wrestles.