Coronavirus

RingRider

I can not work because the graphics workshop is currently closed.

I really don't have the overview of how many people in my area are infected with the virus, but the number is increasing every day.

However, I am more concerned about the selfish behavior of some people who, despite the warnings, still pretend that the corona virus is not bad.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arlie Rahn" data-cite="Arlie Rahn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>My dad just had hip replacement surgery on Monday and I helped my mom with him the last few days. He's all set now and I've told my parents to bunker down. In Arizona, they have shut down schools, bars, restaurants, movie theaters and other areas where people gather. Stores are still open and most office businesses are functioning (even if people are working from home).<p> </p><p> Hopefully the social distancing will help prevent the quick spread, but I'm not sure how long this can keep up. If we do this for 2-3 months, a lot of small businesses won't make it. After this first push, it would be great if we could setup an infrastructure to allow the elderly and at-risk adults to stay home (ie, system to bring them food and supplies), but let younger people under 40 go back to living their lives. I guess we will find out</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Same exact situation here in Maine. Not a whole bunch of cases. About 50-60 confirmed, a few have fully recovered and close to 3,000 negative tests. Schools shut down for two weeks originally but are now closed until April 27th. I'm hopeful that if it continues we can figure something out like you suggested.</p>

Just a bit outside of Albany, NY...actually work at a local hospital as an Inpatient Pharmacy Tech, for a little longer before I start another job.

The past 2-3 weeks have been the longest shifts of my time here. First we had a vendor from NYC..than a Physician test positive. This is all we were told...the vendor had us very anxious, because it could have been someone who directly came to our department. In this climate any symptom gets your mind racing...fortunately we did find out it wasn't a vendor that cam directly to us.

Meanwhile we have had two coworkers...two I specifically work with on my shift call out last week with fevers..ect and pneumonia to ramp up the mind racing. Fortunately they tested negative and had other smaller issues..and should be back to work shortly.

My specific county is around 40 or so confirmed cases as of the 23rd...I left work on Friday night we had 1 patient in the hospital....I returned today and we're up to 7 patients with 7 more waiting for test results..and unfortunately 1 death of a 90+ year old.

Some treatment has had promising results albeit from 1 study I believe in France, and everyone is jumping on that a combo of the drugs Plaquenil and Azithromycin.

It's a very stressful time but with a glimmer of hope and I'm just fortunate and thankful I have an "essential job" and moving to another...I can't imagine what others who have lost jobs..businesses are going through.

The one thing i have figured out from all this is that the so called "Advanced Western countries" (which is where i happen to be) have proven to be total idiots. The measures they took and their general response to the whole situation is ridiculous.

If you take a look at the stats, countries such as Vietnam, China, Japan, S.Korea etc, have significantly better recovery rates in compared to deaths. In the majority of the west, you have ratios of 1 death for 1 recover (it is about 7-10 times better in the Eastern countries).

The lack of concise policy, lack of masks (or people simply not using them) and the liberal western attitudes have lead to this mess. It will probably take at least months to clear out this fiasco.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>3 people have died in my town, but so far people haven't been changing their behavior at all - "just wash your hands" - until the government stepped in yesterday and closed the whole country down. It's the only way, because surprisingly a lot of Western people - quite frankly - are selfish idiots. The low value people attribute to "duty" and "guidelines" shows well how society has pretty much disintegrated.<p> </p><p> For all the bad the virus is going to inflict, there might be some good consequences on the long run, as people will think more about their actions.</p><p> </p><p> As for Vince: he knows it's going to get cancelled. But he probably doesn't want to be the one that makes the decision as it'll hurt him more financially. He'll make Tampa force him out so he gets all his money back.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Belgium got a semi-lockdown in place. Schools are closed, shops are closed except general stores. No transportation unless necessary for work. Still allowed to go outside but not in groups.</p>

<p>Ohio put a stay at home order that went into effect last night. I have a new job and I'm still required to be there. The employer gave all the employees a two dollar raise for the duration of the pandemic. They also gave us all papers stating we're essential employees just in case we get stopped by the police for being out.</p><p> </p><p>

The world is crazy right now.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ohio put a stay at home order that went into effect last night. I have a new job and I'm still required to be there. The employer gave all the employees a two dollar raise for the duration of the pandemic. They also gave us all papers stating we're essential employees just in case we get stopped by the police for being out.<p> </p><p> The world is crazy right now.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's just madness. My 0.02 cents. I won't even ask what your job is...</p>

<p>With our semi-lockdown here, I think we are coping. That means: hospitals are not over-run and we don't have to sacrifice elder people. </p><p> </p><p>

Talk about "herd immunity" is completely b*ll. We have a global community (and I think this will change in the near future). Only thing working is just killing the virus by not getting it (wash hands, social distance, etc) and that will take months. And this will give the elderly or the people with health-problems a good chance. </p><p> </p><p>

#allTogether</p>

Here (in Madrid, Spain) we have been locked for a week, and it will be a long quarantine.

We begun too late the hard measures and nowadays we are paying a heavy toll. There are not shortages in the supermarkets and streets are mostly empty. At 20:00 almost everyone goes to the window clapping as a way to thanks to the people working in hospitals.

A lot of companies are downsizing or closing temporaly, so the economy will struggle for months. Luckily I can work from home so my main problem is boredom, which is being so fortunate. I spent my time ringing my friends and family, watching movies and playing games (Civ and TEW16 mostly). Even it will be great having TEW20 I hope this situation ends before.

Stay strong, stay positive and stay safe

I live in New Hampshire in the US. I'm in the biomedical industry so there's no talk of us shutting down. We haven't reached the statewide stay-home order stage yet, but I imagine it's coming soon. Toilet paper is very hard to find, as are pasta, rice, and things of that nature, and I'm willing to bet it won't get any easier anytime soon.

I live in New Hampshire in the US. I'm in the biomedical industry so there's no talk of us shutting down. We haven't reached the statewide stay-home order stage yet, but I imagine it's coming soon. Toilet paper is very hard to find, as are pasta, rice, and things of that nature, and I'm willing to bet it won't get any easier anytime soon.

Massachusetts here, I know NH hadn't gotten the lock down yet as of yesterday. We have it here, and apparently they extended the school closings to May 4th. I'm sure the lock down will hit you guys soon.

<p>I have to admit, I'm pretty concerned about this whole situation. I'm currently working in the retail industry, (it seemed like a good idea at the time), in South Carolina, and while I have heard some folks talking about having had their jobs shut down, mine is currently doing the opposite. I'd go so far as to say we're working ourselves ragged, and I've even seen signs posted on a lot of businesses that say one version or another of the phrase: "Apply today, start tomorrow!" in what seems to be kind of a frantic search for more help. No idea how long we'll stay open, as supplies seem to be dwindling.</p><p> </p><p>

They've tried to put limits on how many items people can buy here, (things like toilet paper, cleaning products, and whatnot), but folks are always trying to get that stuff. The only bottle of hand sanitizer I've seen for the past little while is the one we keep, (now well hidden), behind the register for employee use. Restaurants around here have all closed their dining rooms - you have to use the drive-through window at fast food joints, and I've heard some of the local spots have started making deliveries, so long as the order comes within a radius of like 3 miles or so of the actual place. It's changed my lunch breaks at work, for sure.</p><p> </p><p>

I actually thought I'd be kind of all right through all this, since washing my hands like dozens of times a day is something I've done for years anyway, but now, I'm not so sure. I haven't heard a stay at home order just yet, but I wouldn't be against it at all. Staying holed up in my house, with the doors locked and the windows shut, and not going out for ANYTHING is sounding better and better to me by the day. </p><p> </p><p>

Hope this is all over with soon, and things can get back to some kind of normal. It's unnerving.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moon_lit_tears" data-cite="moon_lit_tears" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Massachusetts here, I know NH hadn't gotten the lock down yet as of yesterday. We have it here, and apparently they extended the school closings to May 4th. I'm sure the lock down will hit you guys soon.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Governor announced a stay-at-home order as of 11:59pm tomorrow night, seemingly with the same May 4th date as yours. At work, it's still business as usual, although they're urging us to stay home if we're sick, "just don't abuse it."</p><p> </p><p> I'm with you, dvdWarrior. I'm terrified, personally, and looking at figures and projections from ANY reputable source doesn't help to curtail it at all.</p>

Governor announced a stay-at-home order as of 11:59pm tomorrow night, seemingly with the same May 4th date as yours. At work, it's still business as usual, although they're urging us to stay home if we're sick, "just don't abuse it."

I'm with you, dvdWarrior. I'm terrified, personally, and looking at figures and projections from ANY reputable source doesn't help to curtail it at all.

Mass here for me. Pretty on edge, mostly for my mother in law. She lives with My wife and I in a 900 Square Foot Condo to raise our 20 month old while we are at work

Since Real Estate Attorneys are "essential" (isn't that fun? Baker's guidelines are so flexible any boss almost can argue that) we have to go to work.

My fear is what happened to Karl Anthony Towns in the NBA, bringing it home to her while I don't have symptoms

It's frustrating here in Tennessee. Virtually everything Governor Lee could have done wrong he did. And I live in the part of Tennessee where it seems like half the people believe that if you believe in Jesus hard enough, you can keep a snake from biting you so I'm more than a little concerned about the number of people who are going to think faith is all you need to avoid getting sick.

Mass here for me. Pretty on edge, mostly for my mother in law. She lives with My wife and I in a 900 Square Foot Condo to raise our 20 month old while we are at work

Since Real Estate Attorneys are "essential" (isn't that fun? Baker's guidelines are so flexible any boss almost can argue that) we have to go to work.

My fear is what happened to Karl Anthony Towns in the NBA, bringing it home to her while I don't have symptoms

That's my fear, too. I live with my fiancee and her son. She had a mitral valve replacement last Spring and her son had leukemia between the ages of 2 and 6. I'm 27, in good health, etc. But they scare me.

Ohio put a stay at home order that went into effect last night. I have a new job and I'm still required to be there. The employer gave all the employees a two dollar raise for the duration of the pandemic. They also gave us all papers stating we're essential employees just in case we get stopped by the police for being out.

The world is crazy right now.

I’m in Minnesota and We are in the same situation right now. I’m an essential worker and I was given a piece of paper stating such. We got a $2.50 raise while this is ongoing but it’s really weird driving both to and from work with no one on the roads.

I’m in Minnesota and We are in the same situation right now. I’m an essential worker and I was given a piece of paper stating such. We got a $2.50 raise while this is ongoing but it’s really weird driving both to and from work with no one on the roads.

I'm in that same exact situation. 2.50 raise in Minnesota and still going to work. :eek::D

I didn't get a raise to keep going to work. Wtf? :p

To clarify and I should have stated this earlier, the raise that I was given isn’t a permanent raise. It’s extra incentive as this pandemic is ongoing because our work is considered essential. Once all of this is over however long that will be, we will go back to what we were making prior to the $2.50 raise as far as I understood it.

I didn't get a raise to keep going to work. Wtf? :p

A lot of people don't.

My brother works for the state...maintaining highways. He's getting double time pay to work.

My sister in law (brother mentioned aboves wife) Works in a hospital as a nurse, is NOT getting a raise to work during this mess.

She's been very outspoken though. She's written to a few news sites, the governor and a few other places about what her work family are going through and others are getting raises but health care workers are not.

Not sure if anyone else here has been tested for it but I have all the symptoms and was directly exposed to someone who tested positive and they will not test me for it. Told me to only leave home if I get shortness of breath and go straight to an ER. They told me I unofficially have it and that tests are reserved for people over 65, immune compromised, or people who come into the er with advanced symptoms.

I work for a subcategory for one of the big grocery store chains in America and we've been given two small bonus checks during all of this plus the (usually) yearly incentive check. We are currently working 6-7 days to keep the shelves and the semi's trailer full because people are buying so much. We've been told that if we contract the virus then we'll get 14 days of pay during quarantine. The virus itself hasn't really effected my life as much besides the point I can't g into Gamestop to pick-up a preorder.