Coronavirus

RingRider

Hey all,

Just curious to know if anyone has been affected so far. I am a teacher in the New England area and cases are definitely spiking here. The high school next door to the middle school I teach at has a student who has tested positive and the whole student body and faculty are currently in quarantine. My school (and many others in the area) have closed for next week with more time expected.

The scary part is that my wife is immuno-compromised. Due to my school being so tied in to the high school (via siblings, etc) my wife has taken the extra precaution of moving out to stay with my mother for the short term leaving my daughter and I home for a few days.

This is pretty scary stuff. I never thought I'd live through a global pandemic. I hope everyone out there is well and taking appropriate precautions. Find some good things to binge watch, play some TEW, and stay home as much as possible.

As it pertains to wrestling, I can't believe the face off between Vince McMahon and the city of Tampa. The morally responsible thing to do is to cancel Wrestlemania and both parties know it but no one wants to be the bad guy. IMO, the party that cancels it will actually be the good guy.

Three cases in my city, last I heard (EDIT: Now up to 15). My wife works in a pharmacy and I'm healthcare adjacent, so I'm preparing to come in contact with it eventually.

My concern is less about the virus and more about the supply lines. We had the panic buying of toilet paper last weekend, with people buying so much that they were kicking packs out of the supermarket doors because they couldn't carry them all, and I'm expecting all-around panic buying soon. I finished stocking up this morning. Just a month's worth of supplies in case of quarantine, nothing ridiculous. It was busy but nothing too frenzied. Apparently the mother-in-law had a worse time.

If Vince thinks people should be able to control sneezing, he's not going to understand the need to cancel WrestleMania. He'll need to be forced and at this point he should. Going overboard on preventative measures is what slows this thing down long enough to be manageable. A lot of my co-workers are furious that parties and concerts and sports game are being postponed. I think less of them... but then I am a natural hermit who kinda likes the idea of being forced to stay at home for a while.

<p>There have been cases in all of the cities around mine but none in my city just yet. The panic buying is already in full effect, haven't had toilet paper at the store I work at in 2 days now. When we have gotten some in it didn't even make it to the shelves, most of the food and all of the cleaning products were gone when I left this morning.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm not worried about myself at all but my mom's immune system is practically non-existent and she just had major surgery so I'm really worried about her.</p>

<p>3 people have died in my town, but so far people haven't been changing their behavior at all - "just wash your hands" - until the government stepped in yesterday and closed the whole country down. It's the only way, because surprisingly a lot of Western people - quite frankly - are selfish idiots. The low value people attribute to "duty" and "guidelines" shows well how society has pretty much disintegrated.</p><p> </p><p>

For all the bad the virus is going to inflict, there might be some good consequences on the long run, as people will think more about their actions.</p><p> </p><p>

As for Vince: he knows it's going to get cancelled. But he probably doesn't want to be the one that makes the decision as it'll hurt him more financially. He'll make Tampa force him out so he gets all his money back.</p>

Metro Detroit here, local cases are up to 25, most in this area. They closed all the schools in the state until April 6 and people are shopping like after this weekend no store will be open. Aside from that, it's business as usual for the kids and I (I have 4). Just more awareness and a lot of me explaining things. to them.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>3 people have died in my town, but so far people haven't been changing their behavior at all - "just wash your hands" - until the government stepped in yesterday and closed the whole country down. It's the only way, because surprisingly a lot of Western people - quite frankly - are selfish idiots. The low value people attribute to "duty" and "guidelines" shows well how society has pretty much disintegrated.<p> </p><p> For all the bad the virus is going to inflict, there might be some good consequences on the long run, as people will think more about their actions.</p><p> </p><p> As for Vince: he knows it's going to get cancelled. But he probably doesn't want to be the one that makes the decision as it'll hurt him more financially. He'll make Tampa force him out so he gets all his money back.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, living in a rural state has its advantages (in KY). We're only up to 16 confirmed cases as of tonight for the entire state, but schools are closed for several weeks. So, some of the buying is panic buying and others are "Oh my God, my kids are home, and I have to scrounge around for food for them instead of the school providing 2 meals a day for 2 weeks." I fear we're going to have to hire a pied piper to get all the mice out of town given all the dry food people are buying given the utter lack of pantry space people have (based on me working for Wal-Mart for 6 years and the day before or two days before holidays were the worst grocery shopping days).</p><p> </p><p> My deepest fear though is what happens in a week to 10 days when the cases stop peaking, and the blithering idiots go "Well, it's all over now. We're going all the places we should have been able to if not for the Democrats trying to destroy Trump" (KY is a blood-red state full of morons). Because the hardest things to prove are when you stop a bad situation from becoming a horrible situation. If the precautions work, a bunch of nuts are going to think half of the measures weren't necessary, and when you talk about taking a major chunk out of the economy, that's not insignificant measures. If the precautions don't work, it's going to be utterly catastrophic because our for-high-profits healthcare system just doesn't have the capacity to deal with even 5% of people getting sick enough they need hospital beds, and we don't have 67,000 respirators.</p><p> </p><p> So yeah, the stupidity has made the situation worse than it should be already, and it could very easily turn something that can be managed into a truly horrible situation.</p>

Was to travel both this weekend and next weekend, but I nixed those plans as I didn't want to potentially bring anything home as a symptomatic/asymptomatic carrier as my 90-year-old grandmother has moved in with us. Just keeping up basic hygiene 101 skills and limiting time outside of the house/avoiding even small public gatherings. Luckily, the house is pretty well-stocked as is.

I figure the worst of this will be sooner rather than later, but, that'll only come if the general public as a whole starts taking self-quarantine/self-isolation seriously.

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. Three confirmed cases so far in Cuyahoga County, where Cleveland is. Wondering seriously if I should not vote in our primaries on Tuesday, March 17.

All K-through-12 schools in Ohio are closed for 2 weeks as of tomorrow (Monday). Local libraries are closed for 2 weeks.

My employer is preparing to send most people home to work. I hope my stupid Spectrum internet service will not screw up.

My wife is in the Philippines for her mother's funeral. I'm worried about her, because the Philippines is a very social culture--people go to the market every day to buy stuff, gossip, etc. Population density there is much higher than in the US. We are both in our 60s and therefore more vulnerable.

So turns out my daughter probably has the virus... I imagine I'm a time bomb as well. Pediatrician told me no one outside of elderly and health care workers are even getting tested...

Regardless of results treatment is the same. My daughter will do continued nebulizer treatments (which she has do on and off anyway) and manage fever will Tylenol. Biggest issue is my wife (who is immuno-compromised) is staying out of the house for at least 14 days.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RingRider" data-cite="RingRider" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So turns out my daughter probably has the virus... I imagine I'm a time bomb as well. Pediatrician told me no one outside of elderly and health care workers are even getting tested...<p> </p><p> Regardless of results treatment is the same. My daughter will do continued nebulizer treatments (which she has do on and off anyway) and manage fever will Tylenol. Biggest issue is my wife (who is immuno-compromised) is staying out of the house for at least 14 days.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> Man I'm sorry to hear that! Like you, I teach middle school so I'm out for the next couple of weeks. You need anything?</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> My job shut down because the Governors closed all sit down restaurants and bars. They’re also going to deny me unemployment because I don’t make enough money per week. So that’s awesome.</div></blockquote> <p> </p><p> I'm sorry man. That's awful that you're not going to get any financial support during this.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RingRider" data-cite="RingRider" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So turns out my daughter probably has the virus... I imagine I'm a time bomb as well. Pediatrician told me no one outside of elderly and health care workers are even getting tested...<p> </p><p> Regardless of results treatment is the same. My daughter will do continued nebulizer treatments (which she has do on and off anyway) and manage fever will Tylenol. Biggest issue is my wife (who is immuno-compromised) is staying out of the house for at least 14 days.</p></div></blockquote><p> I'm sorry about your daughter. Hopefully she recovers quickly. It seems that it's only causing major problems for the elderly and those whose immune system is compromised. I'm glad you guys thought ahead and got your wife to safety! </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm sorry man. That's awful that you're not going to get any financial support during this.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks brother. The governor amended the unemployment rules to make it so people like me have a chance at unemployment benefits and I was able to apply today. Not sure what the turn around on getting approved is. The local news said they've had upwards of 1000 applications in our area alone though.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47386" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> Thanks brother. The governor amended the unemployment rules to make it so people like me have a chance at unemployment benefits and I was able to apply today. Not sure what the turn around on getting approved is. The local news said they've had upwards of 1000 applications in our area alone though.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Let's hope. Ohio seems to be fairly responsible right now and at least fairly responsive. Hopefully, they make sure you don't have to go without pay because otherwise it's going to be very difficult for folks in the service industry to make ends meet.</p>

I live in Dallas & it's been relativity quite from what I've seen. I'm sure there are cases floating around. But the wife & I are doing fine. Work & then a 2 minute drive home. We stay inside so we won't get infected. Just going home after work & working on mods. The worst thing is I can't go to the gym anymore. That part is driving me nuts! Other than that, nothing too crazy! I hope everyone else is managing to stay safe in these weird times.

Live in everett wa, just north of Seattle. Schools are closed for the next six weeks, and events with more than 10 people have been banned. Luckily Im able to work from home, but the amount of people I know losing their jobs and/or businesses is overwhelming. I know one person who has possibly contracted the virus, but is unable to be tested due to lack of access if you aren't literally on your deathbed. Its a complete s--- show. People are panic buying every little thing even though there are NO shortages. The state and federal government's response has been nothing but reactive, with no proactive strategies to stop the spread let alone ease our minds.

The British government have suitably acted like the biggest clowns of the bunch and are only now starting to put measures in place after basically sticking their fingers in their ears for weeks. I think the most surprising thing is people are actually surprised by how incompetent they've been, but then they're probably the same people who voted them in to begin with

Interesting times indeed. I call it the failure/collapse of what is now the Western culture. Now: I'm not trying to be a negative nancy here, just trying to make sense of the situation.

Hyper-globalisation will eventually cause supply to dwindle as transport gets in trouble at the borders. Export will stop as countries care for their own. General populace is distrusting their fellow citizens (which is essentially why people are hamstering). Just went to the supermarket for the last supplies, and laughed hysterically as the "promo" pamplets basically begged me to buy loads or one product, as it was way cheaper. I felt like a complete idiot after I left some for others. And people wonder why others hamster...

There have been supposed moments of "solidarity" lately, but it might've just been collective individualism. This will be a test for humanity, which, I argue, has never been weaker. Imagine the historybooks saying the West was nearly wiped out by a couple of Chinese schmucks who made an oopsie.

After a couple of weeks the population will start nagging that the containment has been enough, making the politicians put an end to the isolation. The thing is that this is a global epidemic, and unlike the Black Death it's not simply spreading from west to east. It's everywhere. And given the lack of testing material, you will not know whether sick people come into the country after the measures have been lifted. And the madness will start all over again.

What I mean is that this might end up... quite bad. I've heard a few reports of the army deploying here to uphold the peace. Good call. It's still not clear whether these strict preventive measures are the best thing. Maybe, in the end, we just had to do what we can to distance ourselves deter the virus and go on with our lives. The unfortunate ones who die would just have to "take one for the team". But of course our extreme individualism would never let us do that, because "it could've been YOU".

China and Vietnam have offered assistance and been ignored by the puppets of capital. Some places are just now coming to their senses. "The West" is an invention to obscure the cancerous pillage of Gaia by vampiric aristocrats and plutocrats who spoke of liberty while ignoring the severed hands of plantation workers along the River Congo. I'm processing hundreds of packages from the aforementioned countries every day, not a single mask is contained within any. No testing kits. No raw chemicals. No medicine. No hospital equipment. No PPE. Even more packages come from nations worse off than those. Those containers say "Haddad Brands, Nestle, Gildan, Keurig/Dr. Pepper," etc. The wealth we steal from these places is more important than any aid. Only domination matters to the powers that be. When they can't domineer and suckle the life away from a section of the planet or its people, they move on to the next.

Have you guys seen these hilarious toilet paper memes though

I'm on the east coast of Canada. We haven't had many cases, however, the number is growing daily. My province has reported 2 confirmed cases, with 6 presumed cases. The country had 120 cases 3 days ago. We're up to 569 on the 17th with the most data. That means there are more infected, but we don't know how many.

Essentially, we know there are more cases. We have no idea how many, but I will be shocked if it isn't over 1000 by Friday. The biggest concern is making sure that those with immune issues and the elderly are protected. I have several friends who are at risk, and I know several in my church are a vulnerable.

I am going to try and help them setup a way to do services online so the older folks aren't isolated, and find a way to stay in touch. I am temporarily off work anyway, but I am working on finding a way to work from home when I return.

Canada has been handling it rather well. We have been less reactive, and more proactive. Trudeau has done relatively well, and the government has been giving daily, clear updates. They've been very transparent and haven't minimized it at all. We've been monitoring it closely since January, and acted very quickly to contain it once it started to show up. We shut down the boarders (except to the US) and all international flights are contained to 4 airports nationwide.

All Canadians abroad have been told to come home and that the government will help pay for it. They also said if anyone is sick, stay home. They have a plan to help people who don't have sick leave or unemployment benefits. We don't know the details yet. Anyone who is sick can't get on a plane. If they're stuck elsewhere in the world, the government will help them cover expenses while stuck.

I'm not really afraid of being infected, myself. If I am, I'm in good health and I'm young, so the risk is low. However, I am way more concerned about passing it to others who are at risk, so I'm staying home as much as possible. People have panic bought toilet paper, but it's calmed down after 1 big day of panic.

We shall see what the implications are in the next few weeks, but I imagine the next month or 2 is going to be quite hard for many.

My dad just had hip replacement surgery on Monday and I helped my mom with him the last few days. He's all set now and I've told my parents to bunker down. In Arizona, they have shut down schools, bars, restaurants, movie theaters and other areas where people gather. Stores are still open and most office businesses are functioning (even if people are working from home).

Hopefully the social distancing will help prevent the quick spread, but I'm not sure how long this can keep up. If we do this for 2-3 months, a lot of small businesses won't make it. After this first push, it would be great if we could setup an infrastructure to allow the elderly and at-risk adults to stay home (ie, system to bring them food and supplies), but let younger people under 40 go back to living their lives. I guess we will find out

I'm in the north east of England and work in the head office of a company that deals with utility supplies and getting people connected to mains supply. 90% of the company are working from home and we have a few people left in the office.

Things are constantly changing and have had a few of the reps going to peoples homes who have not declared symptoms (they have multiple opportunities during the process) and are putting people at risk.

Now with the social close down I am hoping people start being more honest and stop putting others at risk. A lot of people don't seem to be aware of the risks and are still out and about despite showing symptoms. :mad: