Public Beta Reaction Thread

I think one of the biggest problems with the UI is that numbers (i.e stats, popularity etc.) are now text rather than images. This is going to limit skinning massively as we can no longer customise our stats to be numbers/letters/grades/anything else we may want. Really hope this can be fixed.

UI overall is also extremely clunky and unorganised. It's difficult to get used to. Some may say 'wait until you get used to it' - but if it's not good, it's not good. Chunky white lines all over the place, lack of organisation on the main office page, no hierarchy or anything at all that draws your eyes to the important info. And it doesn't seem, from looking through the skin files, that it'll be easy to fix some of these issues just by changing the skin. The UI needs some serious work imo.

cr3kR0L.jpg

5rTp1l0.jpg

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who can genuinely say that the 2020 image is clearer, more intuitive and looks nicer than 2016.

On the other hand, I have to say that the features that I have found look extremely good. The only thing that I'm really not keen on so far is the removal of pushes. Even if this is just an optional cosmetic feature for the user, being able to organise my roster in a way that I'm used to would improve my experience massively.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like a bunch of this thread would be solved if there was a better introduction to starting the game. UI issues aside, things like grades, lists, and other settings that heavily impact the game are under the user preferences which is just another button to click.

Seeing as how it shapes the different ways the game can be played, it should probably be at the front of a save in explicit fashion, for all intents and purposes it is a difficulty modifier and custom game creator all in one.

For instance the new welcome screens for the default data, something like that for a quick overview of the office screens would probably help tremendously

*deep sigh*

I can't fathom how the decisions about the UI came to fruitition and how the beta testers didn't push the graphic design to a higher standard. I've said it year after year that the game looks horrid and most of the time it's been left to the community to fix things. It's an eyesore and for people with migraine like myself, at the state the game is in right now, it's unplayable.

It would be okay if the game would be easily modified but no: take a look at this:

tew20.png

It's a zoomed in image of the background. It's full of odd blurs, pixel bleeding and weird graphic design decisions. It's horrendous and hard to mod even for people with moderate editing software experience.

Yes, when you zoom into ungodly close levels things look off on a jpeg image

In Terms of the layout I quite like it as it feels fresh.

The one suggestion regarding the skins is the Excel feel with too many Grids/lines

I have had a play with one bit of the skin and removed some of the grid.

here is before and after

bgo.png

background.png

taking the grid away I think makes it easier on the eyes.

But other than that enjoying the game so far.

The UI will probably need some getting used to but after a period playing I think it will be fine for me.

I do however think that the color for the best attributes should be green and not yellow, but that's maybe because I'm used to green being the best.

To recap, you can change to the old style of list via options if you want to be able to scroll, etc.

I cannot find the place to change to old style of list in options

Can anyone help?

Really loving what I see so far. Definitely not a fan of the font in the list. The white letters blocked off by the white lines makes it difficult for me to see the info. Probably just me though.

Is there a place to change the way the lists look?

Thanks!!

My honest view at this stage is, I don't see why you go through the trouble to rebuild a game from the ground up, to end up creating the exact same game (with an updated roster) with a worse UI.

So little has changed, Cornellverse and/or gameplay-wise.

Might be a minor issue or i'm doing something wrong but I prefer to use the arrow keys to go down a list of wrestlers and whatnot, rather than click the individual wrestlers in their tiny name boxes. The UI is pretty overwhelming as well, but it's always gonna be like that on day one anyway. It's just like a reorganised cupboard from game to game.

For me so far, the way company products are done is a massive red flag. It appears that we cannot create our own products or set our own rules for ratios of match types or angles?

As a modder, I was never able to fully overcome TEW2016 removing match lengths as the knock on effect of this was 2 matches per 1 hour show for many companies, which then meant companies like WWF the wrestlers simply didn't develop and progress enough so you'd see the power 500 dominated by Japanese guys as they all wrestled and developed more while the US scene would stagnate for years because big names were only wrestling 12 times a year since they never got enough TV time. I think the current changes are potentially just as if not more severe and will make creating a mod that balances realism with playability potentially impossible.

- The intro screens detailing the Cornellverse, great addition and hopefully brings more people into the ever evolving CV.

- No super loud music playing as soon as the game loads up, I've always felt this wasn't needed as most people listen to their own music anyway (and it was way too loud).

- The extra information distinguishing the product type and effects is very good. It really helps setting the tone for the different companies.

- The quickc comparison tool is great

- The new layout bringing talk to worker to the forefront is very welcome

Dislike

- Not being able to use the arrow keys to scroll through the names of wrestlers anymore

I do however think that the color for the best attributes should be green and not yellow, but that's maybe because I'm used to green being the best.

Yeah, this is a very strange design decision. Red as the lowest on the scale all the way to green as the highest is essentially universal.

Ngv1fEN.png

Maybe it's just me but this screen in particular is a bit of an eyesore.

wIutOIq.png

Agree, I think the biggest problem is all the unnecessary white gridding on everything. If that was removed, things would look a lot cleaner.

cr3kR0L.jpg

5rTp1l0.jpg

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who can genuinely say that the 2020 image is clearer, more intuitive and looks nicer than 2016.

I genuinely prefer 2020 here. Everything is cleanly easy to see, whereas 2016 has way too much going on. Takes me a lot longer to read and process 2016 than 2020.

Yeah, I won't be buying this, this is just plain piss poor. I tried to do some booking and shit just all over the place. And the ****ed up thing is, all this "done from the ground up" didn't even really change anything major outside of making the shit waaaaay harder to stomach and use.

This is a very bad and unapproachable game as is, and needs another half year to a year of development. I am just being honest. The changes are just bad, its like everything made the game worse, and 2016 is drastically better.

I think one of the biggest problems with the UI is that numbers (i.e stats, popularity etc.) are now text rather than images. This is going to limit skinning massively as we can no longer customise our stats to be numbers/letters/grades/anything else we may want. Really hope this can be fixed.

UI overall is also extremely clunky and unorganised. It's difficult to get used to. Some may say 'wait until you get used to it' - but if it's not good, it's not good. Chunky white lines all over the place, lack of organisation on the main office page, no hierarchy or anything at all that draws your eyes to the important info. And it doesn't seem, from looking through the skin files, that it'll be easy to fix some of these issues just by changing the skin. The UI needs some serious work imo.

The use of space is my biggest visual problem. Take the office page for one. The news sections is GIGANTIC, and it forces all the new buttons to be crammed to one side. If we can have a smaller news box and some spacing and organizing of the buttons (read: categories) that would help tremendously.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TheZies" data-cite="TheZies" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The use of space is my biggest visual problem. Take the office page for one. The news sections is GIGANTIC, and it forces all the new buttons to be crammed to one side. If we can have a smaller news box and some spacing and organizing of the buttons (read: categories) that would help tremendously.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Another issue for me - why is the continue button (the button you will use the most in ANY save) shoved in the corner, when there is a big white arrow in the bottom left that looks like a perfect place for this to go?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> As you say, the use of space is extremely poor and the office page is laid out horrifically. I hate to be bashing the game like this because I have an ungodly amount of hours in TEW2013 and 2016, but this just feels like such a downgrade in terms of the UI.</p>

<p>The whole red section in the image needs to be removed from the Office section.</p><p> </p><p>

<a href="https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/521657197315227658/702965389247774751/Sans_titre.png?width=845&height=475" rel="external nofollow">https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/521657197315227658/702965389247774751/Sans_titre.png?width=845&height=475</a></p><p> </p><p>

The Buttons reorganized into categories like in TEW 2016 for easier user experience.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="skweech" data-cite="skweech" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can this be installed on a mac in any way?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Somewhere in the depths of the 2016 sub-forums is a tutorial for installing 2016 on Mac. That same tutorial will work flawlessly for 2020, as all I did to install the demo was use the same Wine wrapper as 2016 but installed 2020 through it.</p><p> </p><p> I hope my sentences are legible lol sorry.</p>

<p>Wow, awesome.</p><p> </p><p>

Okay, so far it looks fantastic. The only thing I don't like is the way the game does searching. The option of typing in a search for something in the search is good but it shouldn't be limited to just that. I like the old system where I could click a name, from there I could start typing and it would pull up names with the letters I was typing. For example, in a list of workers, if I wanted to find Nicky Champion I could just click on an worker name to highlight it, then I could just type N, I, C, K etc... and get there pretty quickly. I see where the new search option is handy but I still think the previous method should still be included.</p><p> </p><p>

Other than that I haven't found anything I didn't like. It's gonna be a learning curve even for someone like myself that has been playing the game since the EWR days but it will be a fun learning curve.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="rawcass" data-cite="rawcass" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If you're having trouble reading the skills, just click on one of them. It brings up an additional window that makes it easier to read, possibly? I don't have the issue of needing to squint so.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> This is definitely helpful!!! Thanks!!</p>