Public Beta Reaction Thread

I'm not as down on the pre-set products as some but would be interested to know if there's a chance to separate match/angle ratios from the product itself. Also, can't see why new products couldn't be added to the editor - if everything has to be within set parameters surely the chance of it blowing the game up are limited.

Feels like there's been a few missteps with this version but still excited to get a long term sim going, have had enough of playing the same two months on repeat.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the status update has just reinforced my feeling that RW mods have been thrown under the bus. Not sure where to go from here.

With all due respect, I disagree. From what I've looked at in the products and the extra customization options to further tweak them. You very much can get any promotion running today a product that will closely run to what they do now. Also Adam has already tweaked some based on suggestions so if you have ideas for tweaks or new ones there shouldn't be an issue. Not to mention I've been playing around in MrVillian's conversion of idols 2004 mod and companies seem pretty true to what they where. From reading the dev journal Adam has made this game with the mod community in mind from day one. Will it take getting used to? Yes. Are you going to not have to get a million replies to your mod telling you the comedy level of WWE is set to low/high? Very Much so.

I'm happy with the status update, with the only exception being products. I get it though, that would be such a fundamental change to revert back to the old system that it would take months for just that. Oh well, maybe it will grow on me over time. I'm not a mod maker so I can't speak on how difficult that makes modding, and I don't usually play RW mods outside of 80s and early 90s.

On the bright side, better menus and a tweaked UI are forthcoming!

With all due respect, I disagree. From what I've looked at in the products and the extra customization options to further tweak them. You very much can get any promotion running today a product that will closely run to what they do now. Also Adam has already tweaked some based on suggestions so if you have ideas for tweaks or new ones there shouldn't be an issue. Not to mention I've been playing around in MrVillian's conversion of idols 2004 mod and companies seem pretty true to what they where. From reading the dev journal Adam has made this game with the mod community in mind from day one. Will it take getting used to? Yes. Are you going to not have to get a million replies to your mod telling you the comedy level of WWE is set to low/high? Very Much so.

I agree. I'm very much not someone who ever overly tweaked products but it seems like everything is touched on in the list. If it means tighter gameplay mechanics, I'm all for it. I understand the argument of complete customization being nerfed but I enjoy how much this system changes new saves up as it was ever so easy to just match your product to your booking style and blast your way to #1. It would've been nice to make them customization for modders, though.

I agree. I'm very much not someone who ever overly tweaked products but it seems like everything is touched on in the list. If it means tighter gameplay mechanics, I'm all for it. I understand the argument of complete customization being nerfed but I enjoy how much this system changes new saves up as it was ever so easy to just match your product to your booking style and blast your way to #1. It would've been nice to make them customization for modders, though.

This, I was someone who would always tweak every game the same, which is on me, but now I actually am excited to try different companies and play them to their products.

This, I was someone who would always tweak every game the same, which is on me, but now I actually am excited to try different companies and play them to their products.

Totally admit that it's on me as well haha, just forces me to immerse which I would never call a bad thing. Obviously different strokes for different folks :p

Me too.

I've found that I'm experimenting much more with different products.

In the old games, I often struggled with what exactly a product was supposed to represent in the real world. I vaguely view the "Product" settings as being more marketing related. My actual product is whatever I choose to book on shows.

If the product settings are a rough representation of marketing and external presentation, then I think that the new system is far more intuitive and immersive for me. In reality, you can't go to a marketing department or agency and target people exactly (e.g. they must like comedy exactly this amount, and specifically need to be that amount into risque or mainstream). No matter how good an analytics/insights department is, you're still hitting fairly rough demographics and tastes with marketing.

Similarly, your marketing materials can give people a rough estimation of what the show will be like, or what existing thing it might be similar to, but everyone who sees the same advert or promotional material will come away with a slightly different impression of what to expect.

You can't ever target exactly the audience you want, and then give them all the exact idea of what your shows will be like. Therefore, I think that the preset products reflect these things well.

With all due respect, I disagree. From what I've looked at in the products and the extra customization options to further tweak them.

I disagree with a lot of what you posted but I've explained in detail in this thread why so I won't repeat myself. This part however.....

From reading the dev journal Adam has made this game with the mod community in mind from day one.

Fictional mod community maybe, I can't speak on that because I'm not a part of it. I do however consider myself part of the RW mod community and could not disagree with this more. Less customisation, less realism and an editor that is far less intuitive to name a few of the major issues. None of my ideas were taken on board, no established RW modder I know was asked for perspective or opinion. All I've spoken to are baffled at some choices and agree that it's the worst editor the game has ever seen.

Reading the dev journal gives a lot of impressions, if that's one you got I can tell you first hand it's not been the case for myself and many others in the modding community.

From working on my own mod I don't really see the issue people are having with products....I cannot really see any there that don't fit a company in one way or another

I also don't really get the hyperbole around the editor it feels like people are just not giving themselves time to adjust to it.. lots of quicker ways to do things etc.

You say less customisation and less realism but even the attributes massively contradicts what you are saying as they can make characters from the real world more close to real life.

The thing I keep seeing mentioned is people saying they weren't consulted etc..the mod is not a community effort of course not everyone could be asked their opinion.

I just feel some people and their constant complaints about every facet are getting a little silly and very much coming off self entitled to me

I'm not as down on the pre-set products as some but would be interested to know if there's a chance to separate match/angle ratios from the product itself.

This is a serious question: what would this do that unchecking the "match / angle ratio enforced" box and booking matches and angles as you see fit wouldn't do?

I'm not saying I wouldn't want to set match / angle ratios or have customizable products but unless I'm missing something there is a workaround.

It won't change, but just my view that having static settings (62 of them) each with their own hard set of rules, is more complicated to the old system which was at least easier to understand in the context of the game.

This video explains the depth vs complexity game design argument very well, and something I don't think products achieves very well any more.

From working on my own mod I don't really see the issue people are having with products....I cannot really see any there that don't fit a company in one way or another

I also don't really get the hyperbole around the editor it feels like people are just not giving themselves time to adjust to it.. lots of quicker ways to do things etc.

You say less customisation and less realism but even the attributes massively contradicts what you are saying as they can make characters from the real world more close to real life.

The thing I keep seeing mentioned is people saying they weren't consulted etc..the mod is not a community effort of course not everyone could be asked their opinion.

I just feel some people and their constant complaints about every facet are getting a little silly and very much coming off self entitled to me

Forlan calling people self entitled and starting drama, is it 2005 again? :rolleyes:

Good status update. Still fully enjoying playing the game. In my personal opinion. Products is a non issue and doesn’t handcuff any gameplay. I’m only gutted we are still gonna be waiting for the 14th cos I already got interesting storylines going on but I have to limit myself to book a little bit a day.

I was someone who had some instinctive concerns when I first started playing TEW 20, and was really worried that I wasn't going to enjoy the game for quite a while at the beginning. The advice that changed that for me was seeing another poster mention stopping playing TEW 20 like a TEW 16 mod, and to play it as its own new game. That advice stopped me from trying to do everything in the new game as if it was the old one, and to start developing new habits and playing the game on its own merits. The positive impact on my enjoyment was huge, as I was no longer trying to do things the way I did them in 16, then getting annoyed that something I had been doing in an entirely different game didn't work the same.

Not saying that anyone else was having the same problem that I had. I just thought I'd put this here, on the off chance that it helps someone in the same way it did me.

I was someone who had some instinctive concerns when I first started playing TEW 20, and was really worried that I wasn't going to enjoy the game for quite a while at the beginning. The advice that changed that for me was seeing another poster mention stopping playing TEW 20 like a TEW 16 mod, and to play it as its own new game. That advice stopped me from trying to do everything in the new game as if it was the old one, and to start developing new habits and playing the game on its own merits. The positive impact on my enjoyment was huge, as I was no longer trying to do things the way I did them in 16, then getting annoyed that something I had been doing in an entirely different game didn't work the same.

Not saying that anyone else was having the same problem that I had. I just thought I'd put this here, on the off chance that it helps someone in the same way it did me.

You know in alot of aspects in life, people are scared when something changes. Now TEW 20 is so diffrent from TEW 16 that people dont want to try and/or play as its different fron what they know. Im like you im enjoying tew 20 and learning alot with try/errors. I learn and get better. Im enjoying this ride so far.

Forlan calling people self entitled and starting drama, is it 2005 again? :rolleyes:

Not at all it was a generalisation that there are members here who are will take the opportunity to criticise regardless of what Adam does and will seemingly never be happy.

The game is made in Adams vision and if people really don't like it then they are not forced to buy it.

I personally feel all the new features make it an even better game than 2016 and can't wait for full release

Not at all it was a generalisation that there are members here who are will take the opportunity to criticise regardless of what Adam does and will seemingly never be happy.

The game is made in Adams vision and if people really don't like it then they are not forced to buy it.

I personally feel all the new features make it an even better game than 2016 and can't wait for full release

agreed. was hoping for some info regarding the segment rearranging tho but we'll have to wait and see

It just makes me wonder how many people are neglecting the C-Verse! I've always found it the true way to experience these games, the mods being additional content for new game+. This new system makes the C-Verse play how it always should've.

Nah it was an insult, don't be disingenuous ;)

Last interaction we had you were kicking up a stink about people using data without permission. It destroyed my Mission Statement thread that was trying to encourage all mods to be freeware. Mod rules and drama were introduced as a result and many modders left as the community got toxic. Why I rolled my eyes when you called me self entitled. I was trying to let that all slide and move on with the '05 reference.

Back on topic - Gutted to hear none of the updates include custom products. Been delving into CV past week as I play test, it's been fun.

After 10 patches and certain customizations (the gold and blue skin and the drop box/color choise) I am pleased with the game. However, after reading Adams update I am certain to be more than pleased with the final product. Really curious to see a different UI but I am learning to make use of the new features.

Think back to the jump from EWD to EWR... or maybe the better compaison is EWR to TEW. That was a totally different game in many ways right? I remember being stalled greatly when first playing TEW. Lot's to learn. Hell remember what it was like to figure out match aims? I'm still working on that (especially now) LOL.

To those who want to debat "the right way" to play in regard to Real World vs Cornelleverse.... I say this. The Cornelleverse is obviously an amazing addition to the game that made it legit for sale. But when I started this game, it was to book real word stories, because there was no Cornelleverse.

I've always seen Adam's games as a way to play out my wrestling fantasies, and for me those are about the real world. I appreciate the work and detail of the Cornelleverse but the learning curve is what kills me. Give me any time in the last 40 years and I will know what top stars are working where and who the free market might have to offer for some changing of history. But I don't know the legend of the Cornelleverse. It's a big bite to take and I've always prefered to real world. After putting up a real world mod I can say I am starting to understand TEW 2020, and enjoying it.

Nah it was an insult, don't be disingenuous ;)

Last interaction we had you were kicking up a stink about people using data without permission. It destroyed my Mission Statement thread that was trying to encourage all mods to be freeware. Mod rules and drama were introduced as a result and many modders left as the community got toxic. Why I rolled my eyes when you called me self entitled. I was trying to let that all slide and move on with the '05 reference.

Back on topic - Gutted to hear none of the updates include custom products. Been delving into CV past week as I play test, it's been fun.

People are saying that the product issue is pushing you out? Are you still modding for 2020? (Fingers crossed)