Normal Date?

That a major negative point for me too and I remember that normal dates were often suggested during the creation of TEW2020 but it's propably never gonna happen.

I know that 4 weeks for every month may be a bit easier to overview but it is definitely breaking immersion. It's only 336 days per year the way it is now.

I really hope this will change one day but we will have to wait for another version in many years.

Obviously I am not Adam, but I'll try and explain why this is not possible in a game like TEW.

Let's say we have an event scheduled for Sunday 26th April 2020. The game has it in as 26-Apr-2020 in it's data. We now have a problem: In 2021, the 26th April is now Monday.

We could work around this by coding a block in to look at the closest Sunday of that month to the original date. So let's do that:

In 2021 it will be the 25th.

In 2022 it will be the 24th.

In 2023 it will be the 23rd.

in 2024 it will be the 21st.

Now we go from an event that is meant to be the final Sunday of the month being the 3rd Sunday of the month. This continues:

2025 > 20th.

2026 > 19th.

2027 > 18th.

2028 > 16th.

This will cycle down and then back up. This can become an issue when trying to book a show that would traditionally be set for, say, Halloween. Suddenly WCW are hosting Halloween Havoc on October 18th after you're 9 years into the game.

Now, we could code a block to look for Sunday X of April, with X being the week. So WrestleMania would always be the Sunday 1 of April, and Halloween Havoc would be Sunday 4... No, Sunday 5 in 2028. Wait, that code block just isn't going to work.

I know, you're asking why not check for first or last Sunday of the month? The problem there is how do we then take into consideration the Sunday's in the middle. Are there two or three Sunday's in the middle? How do we make events variable to that data? What happen's if a mod maker sets an event to Sunday 5 of October, but then there's only 4 Sundays?

the TLDR; Yes it's a little bit of an immersion killer, but unfortunately unlike other sports games this IS the best way to handle the date system for TEW.

Obviously I am not Adam, but I'll try and explain why this is not possible in a game like TEW.

Let's say we have an event scheduled for Sunday 26th April 2020. The game has it in as 26-Apr-2020 in it's data. We now have a problem: In 2021, the 26th April is now Monday.

We could work around this by coding a block in to look at the closest Sunday of that month to the original date. So let's do that:

In 2021 it will be the 25th.

In 2022 it will be the 24th.

In 2023 it will be the 23rd.

in 2024 it will be the 21st.

Now we go from an event that is meant to be the final Sunday of the month being the 3rd Sunday of the month. This continues:

2025 > 20th.

2026 > 19th.

2027 > 18th.

2028 > 16th.

This will cycle down and then back up. This can become an issue when trying to book a show that would traditionally be set for, say, Halloween. Suddenly WCW are hosting Halloween Havoc on October 18th after you're 9 years into the game.

Now, we could code a block to look for Sunday X of April, with X being the week. So WrestleMania would always be the Sunday 1 of April, and Halloween Havoc would be Sunday 4... No, Sunday 5 in 2028. Wait, that code block just isn't going to work.

I know, you're asking why not check for first or last Sunday of the month? The problem there is how do we then take into consideration the Sunday's in the middle. Are there two or three Sunday's in the middle? How do we make events variable to that data? What happen's if a mod maker sets an event to Sunday 5 of October, but then there's only 4 Sundays?

the TLDR; Yes it's a little bit of an immersion killer, but unfortunately unlike other sports games this IS the best way to handle the date system for TEW.

Add a "last" option to the list of which Sunday and it would work. There are calendar programs that can handle such things (Outlook for instance).

That said, there's almost no good reason to spend time implementing such a thing over actually improving the game.

The first two iterations of the game had real dates. I think or maybe just the first one. But it was there and it was a huge pain in the ass. In long term games the AI always had shows happening on weird dates. The current way is just easier. It also helps I don't play real world mods I guess, so exact dates don't really matter much. Every iteration since the change a handful of people ask for it back and it never goes back.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Apupunchau@optonline" data-cite="Apupunchau@optonline" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="48463" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The first two iterations of the game had real dates. I think or maybe just the first one. But it was there and it was a huge pain in the ass. In long term games the AI always had shows happening on weird dates. The current way is just easier. It also helps I don't play real world mods I guess, so exact dates don't really matter much. Every iteration since the change a handful of people ask for it back and it never goes back.</div></blockquote><p> Just the first one. The GDS games have all had the 28 day months. But yea, the calendar in 2004 didn't exactly work. Hence the change.</p>