Wrestler Debut

The debut of a new wrestler or the first appearance of a newly signed wrestler doesn’t feel important at all in TEW. Can there be a agent note added that will make a workers debut (whether it be a match of angle) feel important or at least have it matter when it comes to the match/angle. In my AEW game I just signed a few nxt workers and would like to have their debuts make an impact, but the doesn’t recognize it as a first appearance.

The debut of a new wrestler or the first appearance of a newly signed wrestler doesn’t feel important at all in TEW. Can there be a agent note added that will make a workers debut (whether it be a match of angle) feel important or at least have it matter when it comes to the match/angle. In my AEW game I just signed a few nxt workers and would like to have their debuts make an impact, but the doesn’t recognize it as a first appearance.

A simple road agent note would seem to help with this. I think it would be welcome addition, because debuts do tend to feel a little... Cold.

Hmmm. Hadn't really thought about it, but I have a couple of workers set to debut shortly. One of them is Scythe, freshly stolen from SWF. I'm thinking about letting him do a big, Undertaker-like entrance, and then squash a mid-carder, with Dominate, Decisive Finish notes. I'd love to be able to add a road agent note about it being his debut to juice the segment rating a bit....

How would this actually work within the game though? Just a note to boost a segment?

In reality good debuts happen because of the way they were booked. For new signees, you have the initial gimmick rating. Put guys in a good position to look good on a debut or a return whether that is making them look dominate or rating them in a angle that suits their biggest strength. If their biggest strength is star quality, then rate them on that but put them in a program with someone with great entertainment skills so the angle could score well and won’t get penalized for just being a angle rated only on SQ (if it’s long)

Also read the crowd (if you have that feature on)

How would this actually work within the game though? Just a note to boost a segment?

In reality good debuts happen because of the way they were booked. For new signees, you have the initial gimmick rating. Put guys in a good position to look good on a debut or a return whether that is making them look dominate or rating them in a angle that suits their biggest strength. If their biggest strength is star quality, then rate them on that but put them in a program with someone with great entertainment skills so the angle could score well and won’t get penalized for just being a angle rated only on SQ (if it’s long)

Also read the crowd (if you have that feature on)

None of that accounts for the excitement of the crowd seeing someone new for the first time though. Sone of the biggest pops ever have been debuts and there's nothing in the game to replicate that.

None of that accounts for the excitement of the crowd seeing someone new for the first time though. Sone of the biggest pops ever have been debuts and there's nothing in the game to replicate that.

This can be done by rating someone on overness

As for a match. Book them in position to succeed, you can even do a special entrance segment before the match.

This can be done by rating someone on overness

No it can't. When someone debuts or comes back from a long injury, they are undeniably more over in that moment than they normally are or than they were when they left. That's the entire point people are making here.

How often do you see someone debut or return to a massive pop, the excitement last a few weeks or even a couple of months, but then the shine wears off and they settle back into their "normal" popularity level.

It is exactly what is simulated by the "Flavour of the Month" attribute, there just isn't one for debuts or returns.

I could be interested in a bonus for debuting wrestling, when they come in as a Major Star. And maybe a smaller one for Star. Brand new rookie nobodies getting a chance on the roster don't deserve any kind of boost. Not everyone in the crowd is intrigued by new faces. Although (at the risk of sounding like I'm changing my mind the more I ponder) perhaps this kind of thing would depend on product. Smarkier crowds like any new face. Casual crowds want people they recognise, popping big for new major stars.

I can also see something like that working for Tiny/Insignificant promotions. Bringing in an ex-TV star could give a boosted rating and attendance bump... the first time. Then they settle into their natural level. It would create an incentive to book like local promotions do; bringing in the big star once and hyping the show around them, then bringing in a different star for the next show. Constantly using that "first time in your town" hype.

No it can't. When someone debuts or comes back from a long injury, they are undeniably more over in that moment than they normally are or than they were when they left. That's the entire point people are making here.

How often do you see someone debut or return to a massive pop, the excitement last a few weeks or even a couple of months, but then the shine wears off and they settle back into their "normal" popularity level.

It is exactly what is simulated by the "Flavour of the Month" attribute, there just isn't one for debuts or returns.

Are they over or is it just pop from the crowd?

I feel like that’s covered with “this segment lifted the crowd” “In a match that had good heat”

Besides that, what would be the mechanics besides a boost? I can see that guickly becoming a cheap way to get good gimmicks if there was some sort of artificial road agent note that gave a boost just for making an appearance after a debut or time off.

Maybe a hype note that can equally boost or penalize a segment if not used right. (Timing, POP, etc)

Are they over or is it just pop from the crowd?

It's just a pop. That's why it shouldn't raise overness, it should give an artificial boost to the segment itself. If you had to rate Y2J debuting on raw it would get a higher rating than any other generic promo he did after. Huge pops impact how people see a segment.

Besides that, what would be the mechanics besides a boost? I can see that guickly becoming a cheap way to get good gimmicks if there was some sort of artificial road agent note that gave a boost just for making an appearance after a debut or time off.

Maybe a hype note that can equally boost or penalize a segment if not used right. (Timing, POP, etc)

I don't think it should be a note, I think it should be an attribute. If you sign someone with over x popularity (someone the fans would care about) then they automatically get "Debuting Star" attribute which lasts between 2 weeks and 2 months. That simulates the fans excitement for a debut and to see that person wrestle for a while before he settles back into his natural overness rating.

It's just a pop. That's why it shouldn't raise overness, it should give an artificial boost to the segment itself. If you had to rate Y2J debuting on raw it would get a higher rating than any other generic promo he did after. Huge pops impact how people see a segment.

I don't think it should be a note, I think it should be an attribute. If you sign someone with over x popularity (someone the fans would care about) then they automatically get "Debuting Star" attribute which lasts between 2 weeks and 2 months. That simulates the fans excitement for a debut and to see that person wrestle for a while before he settles back into his natural overness rating.

I agree it’ll work better as an attribute but I don’t think signing popular guys should automatically give them that attribute. Some people (Jericho) are masters at debuting and other than that, more times than not it comes down to how you book someone.

Plenty of highly popular guys debut with underwhelming response because the timing was off.

Maybe this could be handled by a temporary attribute?

Debut Heat - Worker gains a perception increase for their next angle or match (that is, their on screen return).

- A "well-known" would be perceived as a "star" for that segment.

- The attribute would be given to someone upon their debut, or a return following Time Off or Injury Leave of 60 days or more, or returning from Excursion.

- The attribute would be lost after the first appearance. If they appear in an angle then a match, the bonus is used on the angle.

So, for one moment only, they will be seen as more important than they are and it will allow them to be booked up one notch for that appearance.

Didn't TEW13 or TEW16 have a debut feature? Maybe I am wrong, but I think I remember at least the flavor text "_______ is waiting to debut" followed by "_________ debuted with....." something something overness/heat/something.

The only way to get a good debut pop right now:

1. Stick the new guy in a Hot Storyline as a Major Role, aligned with The Rock (or whoever The Rock of your company is).

2. The Rock cuts an Entertainment rated Freestyle, 6 minutes.

3. The new guys is rated on Entertainment or Fighting. Anything else will cause a bad angle rating for being 6 minutes. Pick his highest, he shouldn't tank the angle even if he's got a 55.

4. Put in the rival. Rate on Entertainment, Fighting, or Selling. "Defeat".

Rock - not succeed or fail.

Debut - Major Success.

Rock's Rival - Defeat.

So long as both The Rock and his rival are able to generate a 90-something angle, your jobber won't really tank things just by being there. If he does, you can just "Not Rated" him and still give him Major Success. This helps him get Storyline Heat.

At end of show, check his Storyline Heat, and if it's good, remove him from the angle to give him a small momentum bump.

Result: His debut was introduced by The Rock. He gained some heat from storyline, then preferably tag up with The Rock in a 2v1 Handicap where Rock wins and Open Match. Hopping out of the storyline gives him a Momentum Increase, and now his return debut has been a success. It won't last forever, as momentum can be fickle, but he's on to a good start.