ARGH! How did 341st ranked Greg Gagne defeat #2 ranked Ric Flair for the NWA Title?

I thought this was addressed in this version of the game! Gagne is no where near Flair in popularity in ANY area. Flair is Ranked #2 in World Popularity and Gagne is not even in the top 100. Flair is #2 in the Power 500, Gagne is #341. How can this happen?

Yes, Gagne is a "Major Star" in Central States Wrestling, but not a Major Star in any of the other organizations that he works for. This is ridiculous. We need a little more control over this. I was sure that I read something about this version being better about Alliance Title Changes. Apparently not.

Honestly, to me my game is ruined. Having GREG GAGNE even in the list of former champions totally takes me out of the game.

AAAARRRGGGH!

I thought this was addressed in this version of the game! Gagne is no where near Flair in popularity in ANY area. Flair is Ranked #2 in World Popularity and Gagne is not even in the top 100. Flair is #2 in the Power 500, Gagne is #341. How can this happen?

Yes, Gagne is a "Major Star" in Central States Wrestling, but not a Major Star in any of the other organizations that he works for. This is ridiculous. We need a little more control over this. I was sure that I read something about this version being better about Alliance Title Changes. Apparently not.

Honestly, to me my game is ruined. Having GREG GAGNE even in the list of former champions totally takes me out of the game.

AAAARRRGGGH!

There there pal. Every company has a booking decision they would like back. Jinder Mahal was given a title run. There have been countless others in the past. When you continue on with the save, 5 years, 10 years, 15 years you can look back and say "Wow remember when NWA gave GREG GAGNE a title run & Ric Flair put him over to boot? What a blunder!"

To be fair I do wish there was slightly more control when it comes to Alliance title changes. Or at the very least an advanced warning. Imagine if something like this happened in real life and Dusty Rhodes was plugging a match for over a month with Flair for the title, and two days before Greg Gagne beats him, and now it's Dusty vs. Gagne in a cage instead of Flair. Obviously I know this isn't real but a little control would be nice.

Hey, it happened to Tommy Rich. I'm not sure Greg's Jim Belushi-like features will be quite so appealing to Jimmy Barnett, but he did invent the Thunderdome (true) and the nWo (less true), so maybe it's his glorious wrestling mind that got him the votes...

Sometimes an unexpected underdog wins the big one in a major upset, and begins a rise the likes of which the world could never, and perhaps should never predict. Perhaps you're seeing the beginning of a parallel timeline in which "Stone Cold" Greg Gagne puts the whoopin' on the WWF, and prevents the territory system from ever being put out of business to begin with.

Or maybe the promoter just wants to date his sister.

Sometimes an unexpected underdog wins the big one in a major upset, and begins a rise the likes of which the world could never, and perhaps should never predict. Perhaps you're seeing the beginning of a parallel timeline in which "Stone Cold" Greg Gagne puts the whoopin' on the WWF, and prevents the territory system from ever being put out of business to begin with.

Or maybe the promoter just wants to date his sister.

Lol

AAAARRRGGGH!

Here is my one thought on this -- it happens. Flair did that regularly throughout his time as NWA champion. While he's officially recognized as a 10-time NWA Champion, Flair has talked about numerous times that he dropped the title (particularly overseas) only to win it back on the same tour before he came back to the United States.

Flair lost the title to Ron Garvin only to win it right back at Starcade. Tommy Rich had a short run. As popular as Dusty Rhodes was in Florida, none of his title reigns were substantial. Kerry Von Erich had a short NWA title reign despite his popularity being relatively local to his area at the time.

The point is, the NWA used title changes for regional stars that weren't nationally popular on a regular basis. It was a way they did business so that a local star could be billed as a "former World Champion" and not be deader than dead from getting built up and losing every time the champ comes to town.

While you may not like Greg Gagne (and I can't blame you) -- it isn't out of character for the NWA.

I also feel that giving more control to the player over the alliance title in terms of allowing us to veto a decision will only lead to problems. Does the AI get that same ability or does the player get to control alliance titles? That doesn't seem hardly balanced to the game world. What if there has to be a vote and the promoters, outside of you, were all okay with the title switch to Gagne? How long had Flair held the belt? How many defenses has he had? I find the AI is pretty good in 2020 about alliance title changes. The Women's world Champion in my game has held the title over a year and has had plenty of defenses. The current World Champion has also held the title for almost a year with a ton of defenses -- so they're not changing the title willy-nilly.

And -- you can always go into the alliance title and just replace Greg Gagne with Ric Flair and act as if it didn't happen.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. When something like this happens, I see it as fun, fresh, and interesting. I know how history played out and seeing things done differently is what makes TEW really fun for me. I can understand the other side of the coin though... some want to play out history the way it was and that's cool too.

So you want someone of Flair's caliber to take the title from him? Unless that guy is named "Hulk Hogan" and he somehow doesn't work for WWF anymore, Flair is going to be the sole and only title holder for a decade. There simply are not any names, popularity wise, who can come close to Ric Flair, the WWF already signed up all those guys.

So it's Flair for the duration of your game, or a smaller name gets the title. Me personally, I'd rather a smaller name get it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. When something like this happens, I see it as fun, fresh, and interesting. I know how history played out and seeing things done differently is what makes TEW really fun for me. I can understand the other side of the coin though... some want to play out history the way it was and that's cool too.

Yes. Now is the time for a Greg mega push

The sanctity of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship is overrated. Giant Baba picked it up for weekends several times in the 1970s, Ric Flair dropped it to every ethnic babyface he wrestled outside of America, Bobo Brazil got stiffed on his title change, Lou Thesz concocted the title drop to Carpentier to tour Japan that escalated into the WWA, WWA (Indiapanolis), Omaha and AWA World Titles, Amarillo briefly had their own challenger NWA World Heavyweight Champion in the 1960s, the NWA International Titles were invented, etc...

It's really all just a matter of perception and promotion. Maybe Verne paid a lot of money to give Greg that world title run in Kansas (which had their own World Titles before and after the NWA) because he knew his fans would revolt if he got the AWA one. It's the title Verne never got to hold, after all.

What a good dad Verne is.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I've played a watcher game with a modified 1985 data and the NWA title has drastically swayed away from Flair. I'm 4 years into the game now and my title history looks like this... </p><p> </p><p>

Ric Flair (5) - Wk 4 May 85 to Wk 4 Jan 86 (26 defences)</p><p>

Kevin Von Erich - Wk 4 Jan 86 to Wk 4 Jul 86 (40 defences)</p><p>

Rayo de Jalisco Jr - Wk 4 Jul 86 to Wk 1 Oct 86 (15 defences)</p><p>

MS-1 - Wk 1 Oct 86 to Wk 1 Nov 86 (7 defences)</p><p>

Jerry Blackwell - Wk 1 Nov 86 to Wk 1 Nov 86 (0 defences)</p><p>

Ms-1 (2) - Wk 1 Nov 86 to Wk 3 May 87 (26 defences)</p><p>

Jerry Blackwell (2) - Wk 3 May 87 to Wk 2 Nov 87 (41 defences)</p><p>

Bobby Eaton - Wk 2 Nov 87 to Wk 2 Feb 88 (16 defences)</p><p>

Kamala - Wk 2 Feb 88 to Wk 1 Mar 88 (2 defences)</p><p>

VACANT (injury)</p><p>

Brett Sawyer - Wk 1 Mar 88 to Wk 3 Mar 88 (4 defences)</p><p>

Gino Hernandez - Wk 3 Mar 88 to Wk 4 Aug 88 (37 defences)</p><p>

El Halcon (current) - Wk 4 88 to current (Wk 1 Apr 89) (44 defences)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

So it's been very up and down in terms of popularity, though the MS-1 and Jerry Blackwell year(s) were particularly bad for the prestige. </p><p> </p><p>

In WWF I had Wendi Richter, a 4 time champ at the time with a popularity in the 80s through every area... drop the belt after over a year to Ebony (from GLOW), who had never won a single match up to this point and had a popularity in the 20s through the US / Canada. She was the least over woman in WWF ... it blew my mind.</p>