NWA: Rhodes to the top

Wrestlingobserver.jpg

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH CODY RHODES

Cody Rhodes talks the state of the NWA, NWA 75 this week end, and War Games

1st October, 2023

This week end will mark a milestone for the National Wrestling Alliance, as they produce their 75th anniversary show!

5 years after becoming executive vice president of the NWA, Cody Rhodes talks about revitalizing the brand, his shared vision of wrestling with Billy Corgan, and why he didn't join The Elite in forming AEW.

ec8ee-15402097052701-800.jpg

It all really began at NWA 70.

I was the NWA World Heavyweight Champion, having beaten Nick Aldis at All In. It was a tremendous honor for me, and it was the beginning of something huge.

When you're the NWA World Champion, and you do meet and greets, know that people don't come to take pictures with you. They come to take pictures with Sweet Charlotte. The belt. The brand. As I began touring for the month of october 2018, I realized this meant something to people. Like, this MEANT something.

So I began asking myself, what do I want, what do I really want? As it is known now, Plan A was founding AEW with the Elite and Tony Khan. It was a great plan. AEW is doing great and i'm still cool with Kenny and the Bucks and Hangman,... And even Tony Khan! But as I toured the world as the NWA World Champion, I began to reflect on my path, on my career. What legacy did I want to leave? I was at a cross roads - if you pardon the pun.

I could join my friends, start a revolution, light up the wrestling world, in short: take the businessman, flamboyant approach. And I was ok with that.

Or I could take the blue collar way. I could take the hardest road. I could roll up my sleeves and work at restoring the NWA.

The idea wasn't Billy's. He didn't dream of having me on board. We just made a quick deal, I was supposed to drop back the title to Nick at NWA 70. But I didn't.

I talked with Billy and, yeah, I talk with Nick. I told them what I could do for this brand, what I wanted to do. So we talked, and we plotted. Two weeks latter, I beat Nick Aldis at NWA 70 in a two our of three falls match, and on this very night, after the show, Billy takes the microphone and announced that I was the new NWA Vice president.

Just like that, we started what we called "The Climb". The climb back to proeminence. The climb back to relevance. And I was leading the charge.

Hey guys, i'm back with yet another NWA diary!

This one is alternate reality based. In this world, Cody didn't join his friends to form All Elite Wrestling. Instead, after winning the NWA World Championship, he stroke a deal with Billy Corgan to become the NWA Vice President.

This diary will mostly be story-centric, so except a lot of interviews, narration,... And 10 pounds of Gold.

Hope you enjoy! :D

Very interesting premise, especially by starting this in the future. I'm in!

Thank you man!

The narration will most probably alternate between 2023 Cody Rhodes (& others) giving their thoughts on the events that unfolded, and a 2019-onwards narration of the shows happening

I like the premise. The Rhodes name belongs in the NWA!

Couldn't agree more!

This looks amazing! Will follow the journey, best of luck ;)

Thank you buddy! This time I don't think they'll be too much LU references,... Maybe ;)

I'm liking this!!

Hey Dalton! Huge fan of most of your diaries, glad that you like it

Love the story and idea, love the name, graphics are good - I'm in.

Thank you buddy! As you might have guessed, your presentation style has been a huge inspiration for me. Glad to have you on board

I like your approach to describing the happenings of history, it's not a TV show recap most of us do, but a real journal that highlights the most important things. It also gives me the vibes from Wrestling Spirit game, with an established main character.

Thank you buddy! This time I don't think they'll be too much LU references,... Maybe

Well, NWA is very different, so that's ok. I am just glad to see Willie and Cage get some love :cool:

I like your approach to describing the happenings of history, it's not a TV show recap most of us do, but a real journal that highlights the most important things. It also gives me the vibes from Wrestling Spirit game, with an established main character.

Well, NWA is very different, so that's ok. I am just glad to see Willie and Cage get some love :cool:

Thanks mate!

Yes i try to focus on the story/buld up. There will be occasionnal card booking/recap, but I wanted to try to put the spotlight on the story. (And honestly writing match recaps sometimes feels tedious to me)

NWA_Pop-Up_Event.png

NWA NEW YEAR'S CLASH

January 9th, 2019

Hosted by Tony Schiavone, Jim Cornette & Joe Galli

NWA World's Heavyweight Championship

"The American Nightmare" Cody Rhodes © vs. "The Machine" Brian Cage

Crockett Cup Round 1

"The National Treasure" Nick Aldis & ??? vs. Crimson & Jax Dax The War Kings

NWA Women's World's Championship

"The Female Fighting Phenom" Jazz © vs. "AK-47" Allysin Kay

NWA National Heavyweight Championship Open challenge

"The Mack" Willie Mack vs. ???

International Showcase

"El Ave Fenix de la Lucha Libre" Laredo Kid vs. "The Japanese Buzzsaw" Tajiri

Proving Grounds - Winner get an NWA Contract

"OUTLANDISH" Zicky Dice vs. The Question Mark

PREDICTION KEY

Cody Rhodes © vs. Brian Cage

Nick Aldis & ??? vs. The War Kings

BONUS: Who is the mystery partner?

Jazz © vs. Allysin Kay

Willie Mack © vs. ???

BONUS: Who will answer the open challenge

Laredo Kid vs. Tajiri

Zicky Dice vs. The Question Mark

BONUS: Who is the mystery partner? James Storm

Jazz © vs. Allysin Kay

Willie Mack © vs. ???

BONUS: Who will answer the open challenge? No idea but Pope perhaps

Laredo Kid vs. Tajiri

BONUS: Who is the mystery partner? Doug Williams

Jazz © vs. Allysin Kay

Willie Mack © vs. ???

BONUS: Who will answer the open challenge? Trevor Murdock

I didn’t get into Dice when he was there briefly. He could have something but I just didn’t see enough of him in NWA. He was over with the studio fans RIP