Breaking into the C-Verse

I've been playing TEW since TEW 2010, and in all of that time, I've never been able to get into the Cornell Verse. I've tried in every iteration of the game I've played to run a C-Verse save, but I've never been able to get more than a month or two in. I've tried. I really have...and I think the problem is that I like the real world historic stuff because I know the history and the stories and the personalities, and when I find a wrestler I don't know, I can go and look him/her up and find out who they are/were. That gets me more invested.

My question is this: is there an online resource that would allow me to find out the histories of the promotions, wrestlers, personalities, families of the C-Verse other than just going back through old iterations of the game and trying to pull together a history from that?

St.T

I've been playing TEW since TEW 2010, and in all of that time, I've never been able to get into the Cornell Verse. I've tried in every iteration of the game I've played to run a C-Verse save, but I've never been able to get more than a month or two in. I've tried. I really have...and I think the problem is that I like the real world historic stuff because I know the history and the stories and the personalities, and when I find a wrestler I don't know, I can go and look him/her up and find out who they are/were. That gets me more invested.

My question is this: is there an online resource that would allow me to find out the histories of the promotions, wrestlers, personalities, families of the C-Verse other than just going back through old iterations of the game and trying to pull together a history from that?

St.T

It's completely unofficial, but there is a CornellVerse Wiki page here

It's not an exhaustive list of everything in the lore, but it's at least a good reference point.

You can also learn a lot by reading wrestler's and promotion bios.

Not sure if any of this is helpful.

No there's pretty much no resources for getting into it. Maybe the best thing you could do is going to all the other diary forums and checking out some of the best ones.

The only true way of getting into it is by spending the time checking out some of the rosters and top talent bios, and just accepting the fact that you'll be confused and won't know how to handle your roster for a couple months (in game). The blank slate of not knowing who these people are is the main draw of playing it. It's something you're going to have to embrace if you really want to play the Cornellverse.

However there is a downside. The biggest barrier of entry in my opinion are the default pictures. If you wanted a resource for looking up people in the Cornellverse, then you should also think about using the Re-Render thread for fixing the look of the game. Like, literally, any time you see a busted picture, just click Search This Thread in the Re-Render thread.

Also, not intending to cause decision paralysis here, but I think the Thunderverse does a better job at creating lore. In my opinion, the world is a bit more vibrant and the variety is stronger. But it doesn't have the same following, obviously.

The Wiki page posted by Jaysin definitely has some helpful information.

When I started playing TEW in 2010, I only played RW. It wasn't until 2016, when I decided to give the CV a chance and even then, I think it was because I was waiting for a specific mod. I just decided to check it out while I was waiting.

Initially, it was overwhelming. So many companies, so many wrestlers and I didn't know the first thing about them. But, I kept at it and decided to learn about The Big Three, first. Once I got into it, I couldn't stop. I was going through the company / wrestler bios, as if I were reading a book.

I haven't played RW since then. I always played RW as close to reality as possible. I couldn't bring myself to deviate too much, which took away a lot of the fun, though.

With the CV, I was able to use my imagination. Like BrokenCycle mentioned, I found the Re-Render threads and just started replacing the default pictures with the fantastic renders that the members of this forum came up with.

Not knowing everything from the get go and learning as I went, is what drew me in and kept me going all these years.

Another good way of getting to know the CornellVerse is to download the historical mods, starting with CV97. You can see how it got started, then hop to 2005 and see what's changed. You can also download demos of the older TEW games and have a look at their default databases to see how the world progresses. This is what I did; it took a bit of time but I think I have a good handle on the last 25 years of the CVerse now!

I learned the C-Verse by just playing it. Reading the bios. Then doing what Chef said and downloaded the '97 mod (nothing beyond that though.) The '97 mod is fantastic and truthfully MUST play once you've fiddled with the default database. One tip I can recommend is pick a location and just focus on that region and learn and play through it. I'm not saying turn off the other regions but just hyperfocus on a specific area and read/learn/absorb what you can.

I've really gotten into C-Verse with the 2020 edition. I got really immersed in the Canada and USA. After that Save got corrupted I started Playing Alternative 2018 C-verse. Its not official but it has the same history up until 2016. With this Mod I've been getting a little More into the Mexican scene(Since CGC isn't as loaded as CWA was).

The Beauty of fantasy Mods for me is that I don't feel tied down and I feel more creatively free.

I've really gotten into C-Verse with the 2020 edition. I got really immersed in the Canada and USA. After that Save got corrupted I started Playing Alternative 2018 C-verse. Its not official but it has the same history up until 2016. With this Mod I've been getting a little More into the Mexican scene(Since CGC isn't as loaded as CWA was).

The Beauty of fantasy Mods for me is that I don't feel tied down and I feel more creatively free.

And I can't look at a C-verse (or Thunder Verse) character and complain the mod maker got their stats wrong.

I've played since 2004, so I can see why it would be difficult to break into and, in my opinion, the current version is particularly tough as most of those "go to" indy prospects are now stars under written contract and the next generation aren't nearly as polished and require a lot of work.

For me, until now, the struggle sticking with a game was the grind of booking TV. For that reason, I'd start with a promotion without TV. My 2020 save, now in April 2023, was with CZCW. No TV at the start of the game, gimmicks aren't necessary and they don't run storylines: your job is to put on a wrestling showcase, even when you introduce TV. When you get to that point, just keep decent records in excel to avoid running the same match too often. Tag matches can be your friend, my schedule is essentially PPV, 1v1 rematch, 2v2, 3v3 then 4v4 with one of those 4 facing the champion and the cycle starts again. Subbing out just one person means you won't get stung with having run the same match 4 times. Yes, it's formulaic, but it works for me and keeps me interested and growing (even with an economy and wrestling industry in the toilet, Jim Force running and booking USPW who have just one B-show on Reverie and Cliff Anderson running and Marv Earnest booking TCW [i appreciate this won't mean much to you, but for me, it's really exciting!]).

Aside from the above, I'd follow the advice given. Look at old demos, CV97 is a great mod, the Re-render thread is an awesome resource and makes up for some pics which seemingly haven't evolved in 15 years, although I've not done the leg work to confirm that, I may be being harsh.

Once you become invested, it is so worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, even as someone who the direct C-Verse doesn't really appeal to, being mostly a fan of RW historical/Alt-Historical (There's a fantastic Alt-C-Verse database set in 2018 that someone made that's getting a 2022 follow up soon). The best thing you could do is just explore bios and play the older games..

I've been playing since the C-Verse was created all the way back when, so I'm decently familiar with the world.

I agree with everyone sentiments here, personally I had two different paths for running into the Cverse, these were the first time I did it and honestly it got me to the point I just don't like booking any RW anymore, its just not creative enough for me to do wacky stuff.

1. A big name company (In 2016 I did SWF, they should work in 2020 but you have 5 big options to chose from based on your style) but the bonus of just as a sandbox, no owner goals (being owner is probably the safest bet) just booking and taking talent that you want from the AI, I even used the editor in a few cases. Its a fun way to blow off steam and learn the database, I even went as far as going all the way to 2022 and having some "Interesting" booking ideas.

2.A really small company that won't get raided too much, and book them in a more "serious" manner. 2020 has a good amount of them, my go to ones in 2016 were AAA and 5SSW, Japan in touring is both a mix and a curse, if you don't like the touring thing you could use auto booker, but 2020 America has a large amount of nice indies that suit most styles/preferences. I also recommend Europe as crazy as it might sound, they have some interesting characters (most have retired in 2020 but the young talent is starting to intrige as well), I had a good 2 year save with EWA that helped me establish familiarity to the area and C-verse as a whole. Also ZEN, ZEN is the best, plain and simple.

Honestly, even as someone who the direct C-Verse doesn't really appeal to, being mostly a fan of RW historical/Alt-Historical (There's a fantastic Alt-C-Verse database set in 2018 that someone made that's getting a 2022 follow up soon). The best thing you could do is just explore bios and play the older games..

I've been playing since the C-Verse was created all the way back when, so I'm decently familiar with the world.

Always good to see a shout-out for my 2018 mod

If anyone is curious it can be found here

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549917

St. Templar - if it helps, that thread for my mod has some company write-ups in the posts, the top 15 promotions worldwide get a post dedicated to them. It might not all make complete sense, BUT it might give you some idea of the game world, and you can get a look at some or the characters/new improved renders etc.

Might be easier reading a post at a time rather then just diving straight into the data