SZW - Sydney Zone Wrestling (CVerse 2020)

e5e338b3bacd71a5ec27432ef00df38b.png

46LThRD.jpg

~ Peril ~

"I am the head booker of Sydney Zone Wrestling, my name is Peril."

*Record Scratch*

"Actually my real name is Mick Thistledown, and you might be wondering how a twenty year old kid got his chance to not only be on the show, but run the whole damn thing... kind of.. "

"This is my story."

kGfmL4H.jpg

It started with the fact I was bought  into a lot of shows once I made my debut, purely because of my size. I mean bookers across the east coast of Australia would love to get their hands on a big 6'6 140kg monster of a man especially when I was willing to do the "job" so to speak. Makes the whole company look strong. It helps that I was trained under Septimus Stubbs who would run his own events from time to time. 

CsUkZ96.jpg

That is how I made the contacts to run my own company. The first pin was the man who actually "owns" the company the Original Lone Rider, Paul Green.  He would always be at shows with his son and talking backstage about how his son should be pushed. Now Paul is a great guy and when I asked why he doesn't run shows himself, well that was all it took to get the ball rolling. That night after a few more drinks it would be decided I would help run it, or at least book the show, and he said to always call him Paul there was a new Lone Rider.

CzieRn9.jpg

Next we needed a place, and luckily Craig Sturt was the right man for it as he has worked for a lot of sporting venues as an announcer and was able to get access to a large indoor sports gym for our shows. Of course he will come in on the announce desk as well for us.

GKqsJqS.jpg

New Zealand Pitbull, he is setting up his own wrestling school down in Victoria and put up a Gumtree post selling an old training ring as he had upgraded his gym. Which I got for cheap if I said I would book him on the show and maybe expose his students to the business as well.

Luckily for us, or well for Paul he had a long list of contacts who were more than happy to come wrestle for free. It was a lot of guys from the 90s reliving their "glory" days if you will but it is how I ended up with an ageing roster. They were willing to work for dinner and keen to help out their friend however, I appreciated that.

That left the roster pretty full with those older hands, add to the fact that Paul wanted his son Lone Rider to be a prominent part, he didn't want many young upstarts that the fans may buy into more for the initial outset. Leaving me only allowed to hire five guys under the age of 30, although I got extra guys who were 30 years old to help "beef up" the roster. We actually ended up with a fair few guys, but between my own connections and Paul's we were able to strike up a deal with most of them working for food on the night until we start to get some profit. I guess I should talk about the roster.

• Like 5

Current Champions

SZW Australian Champion

Adgee Cross

image.jpeg

Former Champions:

Lone Rider (2) - 0 defences - 30 days 

Adrian McGhee - 1 Defence - 150 days

Lone Rider- 3 Defences - 180 days

*First Champion* The Kipper - 2 Defences - 210 days

SZW Sydney Champion

Vortex

image.jpeg

Former Champions:

Peril - 1 Defence - 120 days

*First Champion* Dizzy G - 2 Defences - 210 days

SZW Tag-Team Champions

The Devoted Souls

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

Former Champions:

Roster Breakdowns

Year One Breakdown

Year Two Breakdown

Year Three Breakdown

Year One Shows

New Year Riot 2020

Valentine Day Crush 2020

The Showdown 2020

Glory & Gold 2020

Eye of the Storm 2020

Pinnacle 2020

Recipe for Disaster 2020

Sydney's Finest 2020

Fully Loaded 2020

Final Chapter 2020

From The Ashes 2020

Christmas Clash 2020

Year Two Shows

New Year Riot 2021

Friday Night Crush 2021

The Showdown 2021

Glory & Gold 2021

Eye of the Storm 2021

Pinnacle 2021

Recipe for Disaster 2021

Sydney's Finest 2021

Fully Loaded 2021

Final Chapter 2021

From Ashes 2021

Christmas Clash 2021

Year Three Shows

Edited by HiPlus
  • Like 2

The Roster

Going into things I am not sure where I see everyone playing or working on the card. Definitely a prove yourself and make a spot on your own will be helpful to me as I learn intend to do  myself with the booking responsibilities. So the roster is broken down to the hiring policies, set by Paul (Original Lone Ranger) wanting only 5 guys under 30, and only a few between 30 and 35 to make sure his son could stand out. Finally the rest of the card was filled with people who shared the ring with back in the day.

The Talent

ETfkxnV.jpg

Adgee Cross
This was one of those 30 year old guys I was able to convince Paul to let me bring in. Really good talent in the ring at least from what I have seen, never faced him myself. Paul knocked him for being small but the guys backstage seem to like training with him and are keen to impose their size on the cruiserweight in the ring. 

EKX43sO.jpg

Adrian McGhee
Another one of those 30 year old guys I bought in to "bulk up" the roster, but again probably one of the better guys in the ring. Adrian and I actually had a few tag-team matches while I worked for Stubbs back in Western Australia and I when I mentioned to him I had the chance to book a show he said he was more than happy to make the travel. 

5kBJS1p.jpg

Brown Snake
The first of the under 30 year old guys I bought in. Snake and I both trained under Stubbs at the same time. He never gets tired which will be beneficial when he works with the older guys. Allowing him to do a lot of the heavy lifting where stamina and cardio is concerned.  Also will be my roommate alongside Lance Maddigan when we make the move. 

z2ighlG.jpg

Dizzy G
A guy who was on the show Paul and I talked about making our own company, another energetic guy to help keep the energy up and hopefully manage the heavy lifting in terms of cardio, the fact he likes to talk on the mic is a bonus but I am not sure what to expect from him. He is the second under 30 guy.

WV9Zke2.jpg

Johnathan Wesker
The third under 30 year old I was allowed to bring in and one again was on the same show as Dizzy. However a very different physique this guy looks like a million bucks, like a powerhouse of a man but isn't too great in the ring. 

mZQLZmt.jpg

Lance Maddigan
The fourth under 30 talent and the older of the lot. Lance was a big part in getting me involved in wrestling back in Western Australia and was training a few years before me but was always keen to run the ropes with me. Him, myself and Brown Snake are all actually renting an apartment together, so I hope none of my decisions upset him.

MSDJXZV.jpg

Lone Rider
Hopefully not the bane of my existence. I mean sure his dad wants him to be positioned high up on the card, I just hope it doesn't come with an ego for him. I hope he is deserving of the spot as well and can pull his weight. From what I have seen he is okay in the ring, nothing special on the microphone but could be a good hee... oh his dad wants him to be a face.

suANCTx.jpg

Max Langstrom
He is 47 years old making him the second oldest guy on the roster and comes from deathmatch territory which isn't bad. Just not something that I have planned for the show but he is willing to do the job which is a benefit, because he will likely be doing it often. 

bGv7XhW.jpg

Mercenary
Mercenary is a big man, 43 years old with a tag-team partner in Sinner with his age starting to catch up on him hopefully he has enough gas in the tank to put in a decent showing while a part of The Drifters.

GKqsJqS.jpg

New Zealand Pit Bull
Signed to help get a cheap ring he is actually a decent in ring hand and the fact he runs a wrestling school hopefully means he is willing to help out the younger guys on the card. Being the oldest guy on the roster had me worried, but he has okay stamina from continuing to train younger guys, although he did say he wouldn't mind working that into a story.

kGcK49Q.jpg

Olly Graves
The last of the "rookie 5" Olly is nicknamed "The Walking Fiasco" which is given to him for his social life as much as it is his in ring gimmick. He trained with Septimus Stubbs as well in Western Australia with me, and wasn't initially extended an invite, as we didn't have much to do with each other as his drinking was a bit much even for me. But when he found out I got given the book he hit me up, using it as a perfect reason to move back home with his parents to New South Wales. 

3MrxCQa.jpg

Peril
That's me, although not in the rookie 5 so to speak, I am definitely green around the ears and with less experience than my peers, but I hope to make something of this opportunity. Maybe not push myself as to not step on the toes of others but definitely plan to have some wins. That way if this goes belly up I have a decent tape to show.

FaVHFiO.jpg

Saul Rubennick
Saul is good technical wrestler from Western Australia that I got to watch a lot growing up, which made me excited when Paul said he would be one of his friends that would be joining up with us. The first thing he said when he met me, that he will not train anyone and he isn't here to just "pass the torch" as he put it, the second was he wants us to help pay for his flights for the first couple of shows to show we are a legitimate company, which on our strapped budget hurts.

hPsINBs.jpg

Sinner
Sinner is the tag-team partner of Mercenary and being younger you think he could have a bit more stamina but definitely lacks in that department. Should be a servicable tag-team member for the first year, not that we  have many.

tMvBC5T.jpg

The Kipper
The second most recognisable guy on the roster, with a few years experience working for RAW which is the biggest company in Australia. He adds some legitimacy, and was a surprise when Paul said he new him, but apparently he helped do some training with him when he was younger. One of the better in ring guys with some alright stamina he will likely play a big part on the roster early. 

SXDdIzE.jpg

Toasty Bonnar

The Dreadlocked Wonder is another 30 year old guy I am hoping fills and rounds out the rest of the card nicely. He is a high flyer and from Melbourne but happy to travel for us which makes it worth it. Being around for 12 years already means he brings a wealth of experience and I can't wait to see how good in the ring he can be. 

HtqS0MY.jpg

Trehawke Phillips
Trehawke Phillips is on the wrong side of 45, being 46 years this old it is only a matter of time before he hangs up the boots. Still he will be valuable being the most recognisable guy on the roster due to his 25 years of experience in the wrestling scene. 

4LRN8lg.jpg

Two-Face Tucker
  Being around for quite awhile, while only being 40 years old just shows how long he has been at it, considering he started training from the age of 18 and debuted on his 19th birthday. He has seen and done a lot. 

Tag-Teams

hPsINBs.jpg   bGv7XhW.jpg

The Drifters (Sinner & Mercenary)

The only established tag-team in the company these guys have been around for years and will likely be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for our tag-team division.

EKX43sO.jpg   3MrxCQa.jpg

The Devoted Souls (Adrian McGhee & Peril)

While we worked together a few times as a tag-team never formally had a team name and a biker like duo fit us both. Hoping Adrian can rub off on me in a positive way and help my development and we can actually grow as a team. Here is hoping that chemistry hasn't soured since moving. 

The Backstage

CzieRn9.jpg

Craig Sturt

He is the guy at the announce desk he has done a fair bit of commentary and work on local sports events as well as being a DJ/Host on a small radio show. The perfect guy for the job from New South Wales and what really sealed the deal is he had enough contacts to get us a cheap place to work out of. Craziest of all he is the second most popular guy we have after Paul (Original Lone Rider)

iu5oWQK.jpg

Delbert DeGeorge

Making his way down from Queensland to help out his friend Paul, the former manager at DIW has a knack for the desk and is happy to jump on commentary for the time being. The fact he is accustom to handling a crowd could make him valuable to do interviews or even manage someone should the occasion arise.

wyXZ9f6.jpg

Kevin Cole

Paul said he wouldn't be able to run through every match and angle on the card and would want some help. His first contact in his book wouldn't have been mine but you can't say no to the boss. Kevin is a well seasoned vet but never truly had "IT" when he was in the ring, still the more hands the better.

zU8a43Y.jpg

Keith Goggin

A guy I actually picked up with the help of Septimus apparently he had booked a few shows now and then and was a good referee to boot. His experience backstage will hopefully make a good helping hand for the roster. 

CsUkZ96.jpg

Paul

The Original Lone Rider and the reason I am in this spot. He seems like a good guy to work for, straight to the point but willing to give some leeway. The only issue at this stage is the fact he would like his son to be our first champion. Something I am trying to convince him of otherwise. It won't be a matter of "if" but "when" in terms of his son holding the most prestigious belt for our company. 

e2BX96L.jpg

Taniko Jo

Taniko Jo is a pretty decent manager and someone who can handle a crowd reasonably well. I thought she could make a great mouth piece for The Drifters, or even The Devoted Souls. Either way those thoughts were scrapped when Paul told me he wants to put her with his son. I agree Lone Rider needs the help on the mic but can't help feel that Taniko could be doing more. It does  make Lone Rider more watchable however.

Edited by HiPlus
  • Like 5

Before I get started with anything I will address a few things.

What happened to that ZEN show? I loved it, but I had a dodge pc back then and even TEW was a strain with long load times. I could still get the data and thought about a reboot of it as I love the concept, but simply put I feel like I wouldn't do it justice or ZEN justice.

Secondly, a big shout out to @619 and his DIW diary, kind of an inspiration for the more insider look at booking when I post my shows and just in general making me want to get back into TEW. Likewise @newbiezness and @Eidenhoek whose diaries have been great to follow along and read. As well as TFX over on youtube @ https://www.youtube.com/@WrestlingAdventuresScottyTRitz as I have loved following that series as well.

Lastly, will this last two shows? Probably, but it will be a fun two shows hopefully. In all seriousness I have 5 shows written up. Have tried to reduce the amount of work I do to post them. Will hopefully finish show 6 tomorrow and may take a break until the thread catches up, will push to see out the year. 

**Side note**  - I am the owner but in my kayfabe head I have Original Lone Rider being the owner so any emails he sends have to be handled. So if he says push someone, I do my best. I will also add own rules and speedbumps through advice, thoughts or my own accord. 

Edited by HiPlus
  • Like 3

Backstage:

bGv7XhW.jpg    hPsINBs.jpg

Mercenary ~ Sinner 
Well needless to say kicking off my first show was hectic, especially since the two guys I didn't expect to end up fighting each other Mercenary and Sinner also known as the tag-team The Drifters came to blows backstage with Mercenary starting the altercation but definitely didn't finish it, being bested by his tag-team partner. A stern warning 

NEW YEAR RIOT!

Our very first show as a company and like every company what a great way to kick things off and get the faces of everyone out there by establishing a battle royale, I mean that's the in thing with kids these days. We almost called it the Fortnite Royale to get more kids in the crowd. Still that would establish one of the contenders for the SZW Championship and the other would be decided in a singles contest.. Was it fair? No, but it didn't bother the owner Paul where his son was concerned.

ETfkxnV.jpg vs bGv7XhW.jpg

Adgee Cross vs Mercenary
If Mercenary thought it was going to be his night he was wrong. I originally planned for Mercenary to be in a tag-team match with his partner and win. The backstage events quickly changed that, and Mercenary went from one beating to another. This was a good match, at least better than I expected our matches to go and although they went all out Adgee Cross did well even with a tiring Mercenary.

Winner: Adgee Cross
Rating: 31

EKX43sO.jpg     3MrxCQa.jpg

Devoted Souls Entrance
With our opponents already waiting in the ring Adrian McGhee and I made our way out to the crowd in our leather patch jackets (Which we legally can't wear in public, as we could be fined or arrested), Announcing that this company belonged to The Devoted Souls. Adrian McGhee did well without a script and although I hit my bullet points I did fumble my words.

EKX43sO.jpg     3MrxCQa.jpg vs 5kBJS1p.jpg    mZQLZmt.jpg

Devoted Souls vs Brown Snake & Lance Maddigan
This was a match arranged back in our apartment with Snake and Lance both thinking it would be great for the three of us to fight each other. Adrian McGhee once again carried me this time in a match. It was exciting to come up against my roommates, and I was able to pick up the win with a big Rebound Boot to Snake. Something I assured them I would return the favour on down the line.

Winner: The Devoted Souls
Rating: 36

MSDJXZV.jpg    e2BX96L.jpg ~ FaVHFiO.jpg

Lone Rider & Taniko Jo ~ Saul Rubennick
Lone Rider got his chance to speak on the mic introducing the cowboy gimmick to the audience, which is something we have a lot of apparently. He also introduced Taniko Jo and pointed out Lone Rider may ride alone in the ring, but not at home. She also got over the fact the winner of the next match would go on to challenge for the SZW Championship. 

The introductions do get cut short as Saul Rubennick makes his way out telling them to shut up and have some respect, that the young upstart is too distracting by his lady friend to compete for a championship.

If I thought my flustered lines was bad, this was a car crash, without a script Lone Rider was a complete disaster and Saul Rubennick was also  a mess. Thank god Taniko was there to get out the important information and save the crowd from the unbearableness of those two talking.

(Will fight for the SZW Championship next month)

MSDJXZV.jpg    e2BX96L.jpg vs FaVHFiO.jpg
Lone Rider (w/ Taniko Jo) vs Saul Rubennick

This was exactly what his father ordered, keeping his son strong with a win on the first show for the company. Saul also wasn't willing to put over the owners son, at least not without looking strong in the ring. At least Lone Rider and Saul Rubennick were able to make up somewhat for the car crash of a segment earlier and Taniko Jo continued to pay off cheering on Lone Rider to his first victory.

Winner: Lone Rider
Rating: 28

kGcK49Q.jpg

Olly Graves Entrance
While Max is waiting in the ring Olly Graves comes out through the crowd area with a beer in hand, and smoke in his mouth. It was meant to be apple juice in the plastic cup, but I suspect Olly went for authenticity and changed it out. Regardless he also took the offering of beer from members of the crowd as well.

suANCTx.jpg vs kGcK49Q.jpg

Max Langstrom vs Olly Graves
This is the semi main event, and originally was going to be The Kipper vs Trehawke Phillips, but with those guys as our best known talent I decided to save the match for later. Instead I decided to make it a hardcore match and let Max and Olly do their thing. Still even with a short amount of time, a whopping 9 minutes Max Langstrom was getting tired. Add to that it was the worst match of the night it wasn't great at building up momentum for the final match of the show.

Winner: Olly Graves
Rating: 22

(Will fight for the SZW Championship next month)
10 Man Battle Royal

ETfkxnV.jpg vs 5kBJS1p.jpg vs z2ighlG.jpg vs WV9Zke2.jpg vsGKqsJqS.jpg

hPsINBs.jpg vs tMvBC5T.jpg vs SXDdIzE.jpg vs HtqS0MY.jpg vs 4LRN8lg.jpg
Adgee Cross, Brown Snake, Dizzy G, Johnathan Wesker, New Zealand Pit Bull,

Sinner, The Kipper, Toasty Bonnar, Trehawke Phillips & Two-Face Tucker

I left this match open, allowing Original Lone Rider to plan it all and decide on the winner for me. Sort of leaving it up to fate for who gets to challenge for our first title at least in this match up. Adgee Cross and Brown Snake pulled double duties tonight and it was Brown Snake who excelled with the most eliminations during the contest and making it to the final four alongside Trehawke Phillips, New Zealand Pit Bull, and The Kipper. In the end though, The Kipper won by eliminating Trehawke Phillips. Which if I were to book it myself would have been the final two with the winner flipped. 

Winner: The Kipper
Rating: 37

MSDJXZV.jpg    e2BX96L.jpg ~ tMvBC5T.jpg

Lone Rider & Taniko Jo ~ The Kipper

Lone Rider made a quick appearance at the entrance way as The Kipper celebrated in the ring announcing he was excited to face off against a fellow cowboy in The Kipper. While Taniko Jo again reminded the crowd it would be for the SZW Championship. With Lone Rider performing a little better with a script written out for him this time. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, HiPlus said:

BSecondly, a big shout out to @619 and his DIW diary, kind of an inspiration for the more insider look at booking when I post my shows and just in general making me want to get back into TEW. Likewise @newbiezness and @Eidenhoek whose diaries have been great to follow along and read. As well as TFX over on youtube @ https://www.youtube.com/@WrestlingAdventuresScottyTRitz as I have loved following that series as well.

It's great my diary is one of those you've considered following and now you're writing a diary again. Best of luck!

• Like 1

What a start. I love the backstory's intricacy: the unique choice of lead character, the clever connections bringing everything together, even putting thought into how you got the ring. I like the contrast of a kid booker and a veteran roster, and the other fun story elements like working with a father and son.

I dig the concept of limiting your under 30s: it's unusual, fits your backstory and focuses you and your readers' attention on how a select set of wrestlers develop. Even though I mainly play in Australia, I've only booked two of this roster before as I'm still a novice, which I like as I get to start the dynasty with no preconceptions. There was some nice depth to the descriptions like Rubennick being a potential don't-meet-your-heroes type, Graves forcing his way in, the three youngsters moving in together and forcing yourself to book Taniko Jo with Lone Rider.

I love the challenges TEW throws at you and it doesn't get much better than your only established tag team fighting one another before the first show has even started. It was cool that you adjusted your plans to roll with it. I like how the Lone Rider off-screen saga is already playing out on screen with favourable booking, flubbed promos and opponents not being thrilled to put him over. The roommates working together was a nice touch too as it's believable as something a young booker would want to do with his new power.

Finally, thanks for such kind words. You reading, liking and commenting on my dynasty has undoubtedly helped keep me motivated, so it's very much mutual. I'm looking forward to seeing how this unique promotion and locker room you've created develops.

• Like 1

Fun start! Australia's always been my favorite corner of the C-Verse (I started with TEW 2010 and my first ever game was with ZEN) so a dynasty focusing on a small Aussie startup company sounds fun. Nice ecclectic mix of talent on your roster, interested to see how the Lone Rider mega push goes.

• Like 1

Happy to see you writing again, you're making me want to put the write ups from my game on here at some point...

Shocked that Lone Rider/Rubennick was worse than Adgee/Mercenary, that's something I would have seen happening. Adgee is my go-to local jobber for three years now, glad you have the space on the roster to give him something to do. Adrian McGhee is a solid guy who I think could easily be your top heel in 6 months if you don't make any other roster moves. 

Surprised you would have chosen Trehawke over Kipper, I feel like there's some solid story with The Kipper and Lone Rider facing off for the title. Both guys on paper have nearly identical gimmicks, with very different career paths. Rider has flopped on the indies and failed to fill his father's boots, despite being really solid fundamentally. The Kipper found some success with his initial RAW contract, but despite having more name value, you could say he failed to meet expectations as well. Whoever loses that match is going to have a deep hole to climb out of - is there a place for a second-best babyface Outbacker?

• Like 1

Really love the feedback guys and appreciate the kind words. @619 I love the Aussie scene, a big reason I picked the guys I did are a lot of those I haven't used before. Except for a handful from my very first diary attempt and The Drifters tag-team which was a big part of selecting them.

@Tiberious I love the Aussie scene being an Aussie and always love seeing you around. 

@John LionsPlease I would love to see your write ups I followed your DVD write up recently..without spoiling I love Adrian McGhee and Adgee Cross (Star of my first diary) also you may have misread I did go Kipper vs Lone Rider

• Like 1

The Fallout:

MSDJXZV.jpg

Well feedback from the crowd was that they saw far too much of Lone Rider on the show, which after that disasterous segment early in the night I couldn't agree with more. Although I didn't really have a choice, Paul (His father and owner of the company) couldn't be happier with how his son was handled.

kGcK49Q.jpg

Olly Graves although I didn't want to hire him I gave him a shot and the first thing Paul and I get to talk about the next day is that he just didn't get "it" and could be cut. He wasn't wrong, but still only one show and I have to cut him. Well.. I did my favour to Septimus Stubs at least, I don't think it caused any drama between us with Olly still attending the bar for a few more drinks.. 

• Like 4

Big fan of how intimate this is; the first person view is really a cool thing with such a small promotion. You have really found a fun way to present the ebb and flow of a TEW game, instead of just listing the various challenges and goals set for you. You mentioned that English wasn't your native language; as someone who isn't a native speaker either, I think you are doing a fantastic job. Perhaps give everything a thorough extra read, just to pick up on typos and such. Otherwise, your English is great.

I really like this idea of having a bunch of older, established workers (some past their prime) bulking up the main card and roster, supported by future stars. The whole deal with The Lone Rider is a great idea, especially since it seems like he really is not very bankable to build a company around. Looking to forward to seeing how you handle that challenge and how you make it an interesting read. The Kipper versus Lone Rider could be fun, especially since they share Cowboy personas. Strap Match down the line? I am just thinking out loud here.

I have always struggled with getting into the CornellVerse, and C-Verse diaries as well, but this drew me in, so I hope you keep it going. 😃

Edited by Steerpike
  • Like 1

That's perfect for this dynasty's plot that the fans are pushing back against Lone Rider already, and equally that The Walking Fiasco has lived up to his reputation by getting cut after one show. I forgot to mention before that I liked the extra detail of Lone Rider even getting preferential treatment in kayfabe with the one-on-one qualifier compared to the ten man.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the king words @Steerpike, English is my first language actually. But a good proof read would definitely be helpful for me. Otherwise I really appreciate the kind words. I agree, I like having the much older guys on the roster as it adds a certain mix of talents and these are guys I would otherwise not ever choose to utilise. Which I think adds a good contrast. I hope you follow along, and I love the idea of a strap match. I am going to be honest gimmick matches isn't something I usually build to but it does make sense.

@619 I was actually hyped to use him from a personal perspective so him being fired is bitter sweet as it helps the backstage and roster, but takes away that foil. 

A lot of guys have mentioned The Kipper & Lone Rider booking as a potentially great feud, and while I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet it certainly makes sense as a "This town aint big enough for the both of us" vibe. 

Edited by HiPlus
  • Like 2

Valentine Day Crush

Backstage

WV9Zke2.jpg

Jonathan Wesker was backstage being selfish as he claimed a large portion of the backstage area for his gear and an area to warm up and stretch out before the show bothering others. A few of which approached me to deal with it, before they took matters into their own hands. After having a quick chat to him Wesker seemed understanding and to his credit moved his stuff right away.

DaNOVJD.jpg

With Olly gone I was able to talk Paul into letting me hire another guy, this time he had a suggestion in mind and wasn't keen on me bringing in talent from Western Australia. The man he suggested I had no problems with as when he said Banky Bremner. I got to look up some tape on him, and he certainly was athletic, a younger Adgee Cross if I could compare him to anyone else on the card and just quietly young and talented fit the boxes I wanted.

The Show

GKqsJqS.jpg ~ 5kBJS1p.jpg

New Zealand Pit Bull ~ Brown Snake
New Zealand Pit Bull came out to the ring announcing to the crowd that he wants to show everyone in the audience just what good wrestling is, so he is putting out the challenge to any one of the young guys out the back that want to prove themselves. The call was answered when Brown Snake made his way out to the ring without very little words, but ready to let his fists do the talking. 

New Zealand Pit Bull did well on the mic, producing a much better segment that we have ever had by some margin.

5kBJS1p.jpg vs GKqsJqS.jpg

Brown Snake vs New Zealand Pit Bull
This match was a reward for Snake after double duty last month and looking good doing it. Meanwhile New Zealand Pit Bull was more than happy to help out, both guys were told they would get decent amount of ring time and  New Zealand Pit Bull set out to display a technical masterclass. It was a good match, with no negatives or shining out positives but Brown Snake enjoyed being able to go the distance in terms of match length and picked up the win to help establish the young star.

Winner: Brown Snake
Rating: 31

HtqS0MY.jpg

Trehawke Phillips

Trehawke comes out to talk about how he was one man away from being in the championship match. He deserves the match a lot more than some kid who only beat one person, but if  that's all it takes he will beat one person tonight, to show he deserves a shot at the winner of the title match before calling out for his opponent. The segment wasn't as good as the one earlier in the night, but a clear improvement having people who are accustom to talking in front of crowds.

HtqS0MY.jpg vs SXDdIzE.jpg

Trehawke Phillips vs Toasty Bonnar
This was simply a match to get Trehawke on the card, while I wanted more from Toasty than to be in a losing effort a lot of the other faces where elsewhere and I had plans for Trehawke at least in the short term. Toasty certainly looked smoother in the ring, but eventually gassed himself out which when you are against someone more than 10 years older than you. I'd hope you aren't the one getting tired, so not a good first look in solo action from the Toasted one.

Winner: Trehawke Phillips
Rating: 32 

EKX43sO.jpg    3MrxCQa.jpg

The Devoted Souls
Last month the Devoted Souls announced their arrival to the company and yet again announced that they are back once more. Adrian did well about talking up the fact that Lance Maddigan ditched his loser partner from last month and found another gullible fool to team up with him. Going over things with a script made for a much better segment from myself with no flustered lines as we hyped up our upcoming match. 

mZQLZmt.jpg    DaNOVJD.jpg vs EKX43sO.jpg    3MrxCQa.jpg

Wild Youth vs The Devoted Souls
This was a debut of a new wrestler Banky Bremner who comes in for Olly Graves and Lance Maddigan who last month was in tag-team action against myself. The original plan was to pair up Olly and Brown Snake as a tag-team in this spot. Things changed up for both of them, with Olly being released and Brown Snake getting a solo run. Lance Maddigan and the debuting Banky were teaming up together to fill the spot. In fact I even kept the team name, even if it didn't fit these guys as well. Once again Adrian McGhee showed he was the best in the ring by some margin, putting in the best performance of the night. The downside to this match was Adrian sustained broken ribs during the match, when he and Lance showed off some brutal brawling skills together, broken ribs and all we were able to get the win as a team. 

Winner: The Devoted Souls
Rating: 25

ETfkxnV.jpg vs 4LRN8lg.jpg

Adgee Cross vs Two-Face Tucker
Adgee Cross had impressed last month in his one on one contest and this time got another showing as he came up against Two-Face Tucker. The plan was to get the audience excited for the main event and have this as a chaotic, mayhem sort of a match to build the energy in the crowd before the championship match, which it did well doing producing a solid outcome. 

Rating: 33

MSDJXZV.jpg vs tMvBC5T.jpg

SZW Championship Match
Lone Rider vs The Kipper

This was to crown the SZW Champion with two men who had different journeys to get here. One competed in a one on one match the other outlasting ten other men. and going into it Paul made it known that his son Lone Rider should be going over. I made a point to say we needed to establish the Championship with a solid foundation as Lone Rider continued to build, and pointed out last months struggles on the microphone from his son. Luckily for now he was able to take my advice. This was built to steal the show and it thankfully did off the back of a surprising performance by Lone Rider. Unfortunately for him a distraction when Saul came down to the ringside area and heckled Rider, before approaching Taniko Jo who was at ringside was his undoing allowing The Kipper to pick up the win.

Winner: The Kipper
Rating: 37

tMvBC5T.jpg ~ MSDJXZV.jpg ~ FaVHFiO.jpg

The Kipper, Lone Rider, Saul Rubennick
A much better segment from last week, primarily because Saul and Lone Rider didn't have to talk, but also because Original Lone Rider was handling the set up. Still the one issue I had with this moment was the focus was on Lone Rider who was checking on Taniko Jo at ringside and Saul Rubennick who laughed his way to the backstage area after he cost Lone Rider the win. Meanwhile just standing in the ring was The Kipper who became the very first SZW Champion and became kind of forgotten to the drama at ringside.

• Like 6

The Trehawke promo was the perfect setup for the main event as I thought it was lining him up to be Lone Rider's first challenger, only for it to have in fact seemingly been building him up for The Kipper instead.

The main event felt like a perfect compromise: the established hand gets to be the first champion, but Lone Rider gets the spotlight and an out for his first loss. Original Lone Rider couldn't really dispute the logic of having the biggest name hold the title first, and it sets his son up to be an even bigger hero if there's a sense of struggle before his coronation.

On the undercard, I particularly liked the way New Zealand Pit Bull got to build himself up, and the success of that segment surely made Brown Snake's win feel like a bigger deal. A less successful night for Toasty though by the sounds of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiPlus said:

Thanks so much for the king words @Steerpike, English is my first language actually.

Oh jeez, I am really sorry about that comment then. I must have misread something somewhere; either way, makes sense why your English was fine. 🫣

Credible show, especially you thwarting the fact that OG Lone Rider wanted his son to go over. It is really an interesting trip up to constantly have to deal with the nepotism tendencies of Lone Rider, while also handling pretty much everything else in SZW. It makes sense having two of the veterans battling for the title for a bit, while Lone Rider builds up some credibility with Rubennick.

Glad you like the Strap match idea, you can have it for free. Looking forward to the next show!

• Like 1

The Kipper's a perfect champion for a tiny promotion trying to get their feet under them - he has the name value from being on TV, he has a decent look, solid skills, and plenty of experience. Lone Rider's solid performance with Kipper makes me more confused as to what happened in his match with Saul, though from my experience booking him he can definitely tank a match if he's not happy with the result.

In my current game, my first show was Lone Rider teaming up with his dad and The Kipper (revealed as their third man and Paul's close friend), so I'm glad to see the two men sharing space at the top of the card with the old men running the show.

Also, just wanted to add my comment about Trehawke being your choice to win was from this quote

"Which if I were to book it myself would have been the final two with the winner flipped. "

In hindsight I got worked, was reading the show write ups as out of kayfabe.

Edited by John Lions
  • Like 1

The Fallout

EKX43sO.jpg

The big news coming out of the show was that Adrian McGhee who arguably has been the best in ring performer for the company through the two shows suffered a broken rib. Still after his trip to the local medical facility he was cleared and should be fully recovered by the time our next show is on. Because of this he has changed his style a little and gone from a more brawler style to a regular wrestling style. which is a nice change to see the adaption of style. 

suANCTx.jpg

The second news coming out is that Max Langstrom is planning to retire, after getting gassed on the first show so easily and being held off on the second show. He can see his time has come, and let me know he plans to work the next three shows if we need him. Sadly his stamina is a real issue but I will definitely let him see out his time with a few more matches. Both Olly and Max will be finished with in-ring action with the company after putting on the worst match for the first show.

Lastly we lost the regional battle well behind both DIW and APW which is to be expected. Nothing we can do about it, we take the hit in terms of attendance but that is just something we have to go with, and something that will continue for quite awhile it seems. 

• Like 3

@619 @Steerpike You guys hit the nail on the head. Exactly the play down to a tee. An easy out, gives Lone Rider something to do away from the main title for at least a short while longer.

@John Lions It was Saul Rubennick who really does live his bitter veteran gimmick. He isn't as good as I was hoping.

@newbieznessI hope you continue to enjoy the story as they unfold and you learn a little bit more about the Oceania scene. 

• Like 1

Backstage

wyXZ9f6.jpg

Firstly we got rid of Keith Cole this month, he just makes the guys feel disjointed when setting up matches, while Paul said being an owner was too much for him so I had to find someone else. Unfortunately my mentor Septimus Stubbs wasn't willing to come over and lend a hand but suggest Gregg Michael, someone I worked with on a few small shows to come over from Western Australia to help out. 

FaVHFiO.jpg

Saul Rubennick was caught smoking backstage in the building. I don't care if you smoke, just go outside to the smoking designated areas. It is a rule based on us using this place it isn't hard. A stern talking to seemed like it did nothing. 

The Showdown

tMvBC5T.jpg ~ HtqS0MY.jpg ~ MSDJXZV.jpg ~ FaVHFiO.jpg

The Kipper ~ Trehawke Phillips ~ Lone Rider ~ Saul Rubennick
This was a decent opening to the show I allowed The Kipper to get the cheers he deserved last week and he spent some time talking about how much coming to a new company after all his years and being able to represent them at the top of the mountain meant to him and his career. Trehawke Phillips came out claiming to be next in line, saying he proved it last month, while Lone Rider and Saul Rubennick came to voice their opinions as well.

Everyone almost comes to blows before The Kipper announces he and Lone Rider will face Trehawke and Saul. If he and Lone Rider win the next show he faces Lone Rider. If the other two win, he will face Trehawke Phillips for the title and Saul can get his hands on Lone Rider in an attempt of retribution.

bGv7XhW.jpg   hPsINBs.jpg  vs  mZQLZmt.jpg  DaNOVJD.jpg

The Drifters vs Wild Youth
This was about exposing Wild Youth to more matches as they try and build as a tag-team, while The Drifters after missing last month primarily due to Mercenary's actions at our first show seemed to work things out enough to compete together. It was an okay match for the pair as WIld Youth continue to work together

Winners: Wild Youth
Rating: 29

z2ighlG.jpg

Dizzy G
Dizzy G is one of the guys actually okay on the mic so sending him out to see what he can do with no script just to try and get heat out there was the goal. It worked somewhat but it showed Dizzy wasn't well equipped to work without a script at this stage, something I will make sure to prepare for him next month.

z2ighlG.jpg vs SXDdIzE.jpg

Dizzy G vs Toasty Bonnar
Toasty was going to be my guy, but after his showing in last month getting gassed and out of steam early on. The win was for Dizzy G to build on his performance moments earlier. It was another okay match, but hampered by the stamina of Toasty Bonnar who also just seemed off in the ring making it really hard for me to give the guy a chance doing anything. 

Winner: Dizzy G
Rating: 32

ETfkxnV.jpg  vs  suANCTx.jpg

Adgee Cross vs Max Langstrom
Max came out to a few cheers from the small crowd after announcing his retirement, he was still overshadowed by the younger Adgee Cross. Adgee did what he could and looked great doing it, being able to actually carry the match to something that was watchable. It was clear Langstrom struggled in the 8 minute long bout with his stamina being shot, to his credit though he still went out there and put over the younger guy. 

Rating: 34

EKX43sO.jpg   3MrxCQa.jpg

The Devoted Souls

This was all about keeping Adrian McGhee in peoples minds and reminding everyone that The Devoted Souls ran the show. Adrian commented on being battered up from the last match against Wild Youth and announced I would be going into solo combat this week to make an example of a young upstart (Which I am?). Adrian was going to take things light just making sure his ribs get enough rest before getting back in the ring.  

WV9Zke2.jpg  vs  3MrxCQa.jpg

Johnathan Wesker vs Peril

Look I get it, booking myself in a singles contest and booking myself to win said contest. Being the booker has its perks and I wont deny that, but wanting to give Adrian a bit more time on the sidelines I slotted myself in. Have to keep The Devoted Souls strong, and continue to build the both of us. Still this was an awful match, and I am not blaming myself Wesker was really off his game and the middle of the match felt very flat as we tried to not exhaust ourselves.

Winner: Peril
Rating: 17

HtqS0MY.jpg & FaVHFiO.jpg  vs  tMvBC5T.jpg & MSDJXZV.jpg 

Trehawke Phillips & Saul Rubennick vs The Kipper & Lone Rider
This was all about the story, during the match Saul kept dropping off the apron and trying to harass Taniko, which kept drawing attention from Lone Rider, despite The Kipper trying to get his partner to focus on the match. While Trehawke would do well to isolate the champion for the majority of the match. Eventually the disjointed communication cost The Kipper and Lone Rider as Trehawke got the win by pinning Lone Rider. 

Winners: Trehawke Phillips & Saul Rubennick 
Rating: 35

• Like 5

Another well put together card that achieved quite a lot with the main event setting up two big matches for the next show and Wild Youth, Dizzy G and Peril getting some shine on the undercard. And well played Langstrom for contributing a near main event level rating on the brink of retirement, and putting someone over.

In terms of the backstage bit at the start, is Original Lone Rider gone entirely or just taking a backseat? Either way, it was a shock to see Lone Rider take the fall for the second show in a row, though I can see why that was preferable to having the new champion take it.

• Like 1

One interesting problem that you have is that there's a real lack of veterans on the Oceanic circuit who would be willing to sign with SZW that actually have the skills to guide a match and train your roster, which is mostly young guys with potential. Having all of your better veterans in the main event tag match shined a spotlight on that - while the match quality was solid, leaving The Drifters and Toasty Bonnar to be the veterans in their match ups is concerning. Outside of Adgee Cross and Adrian McGhee and the four vets in your main event, there's not a lot of guys with experience your rookies can learn from. The next year will be very interesting - how many of your vets will still have a place in SZW, once the rookies they trained up start outperforming them in the ring?

• Like 2