TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

I just hope the editor is better than TEW2020's. 

I think we should be able to edit move sets, relationship, and other things from the worker's main editor entry. 

Also, hoping relationships get redone so we can have multiple relationships between people. Like the check box feature for promotion relationships.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Fleisch said:

I know as it stands I won't be modding on TEW IX (I won't get into the reason). I love the new features in the developer journal and will spend my time playing the game.

Hopefully TEW IX will bring in some new modders and we can see some different real world data/fantasy mods.

Whether I change my mind 6 months down the line like I've done in the past probably depends on how many new mods there are.

Damn.  Not trying to sway you in any way -- your decision is your decision, of course, and I respect it, but this is a big blow to the community.  Thanks for everything over the years, Fleisch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yuzu Adagio said:

If we're doing area wishlists, I kinda want Africa.  This is Soft Ground!

Def need Africa (Soft Ground), the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, and The Emirates), and China (OWE is fun and had some AEW tryout shows a few years back)

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

How far back will Company Awards and Title Records using the Real World Calendar be filled in for the Cornellverse? Will all Cornevellverse title history now be pinpointed to the day with the new calendar?

Edited by Joshdb

The editor is arguably the most important feature in the game. TEW lives and dies on its modding community. I hope things have been made much easier and encouraging for them. 

I also hope the amount of editing options in-game have been improved for convenience sake. 

• Like 5

Good to see touring contracts back. Still think contracts need a revamp - a middle ground between written and exclusive written. Something like a 'TV exclusive' where a company can sign a worker to a written contract barring them from working with any other companies with a TV deal. Would make things much more realistic - for instance the AEW guys who work indie dates should be open to pay per appearance contracts with indies without being able to be signed by TNA, WWE etc. Similarly you should be able to hire any local talent for an evening as long as they don't have a TV exclusive contract. Companies, especially AEW, are always bringing in notable indie talent on one night deals as enhancement talent. Restricting one night only deals to purely those with no contracts whatsoever isn't realistic. Could then bring in a tryout/trial option for local talent - perform well in a TV match and they may get further bookings, a contract etc. 

• Like 4

The extended bankrupcy grace period gives me hope that Road To Glory is more popular this edition. What other editions would help improve that? More turnover in owner/bookers and it being less common for an owner to do both. 

2 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

Because everybody really put India to good use when it was added.

I had a lot of fun with India in the expanded Cornellverse, although I imagine many real-life mod makers haven't done much with the region.

Africa still has a lot of potential. At the very least, it would be nice if there was an option to add whatever locations they want since not every player is going to be playing with the same locations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JrSquared said:

The extended bankrupcy grace period gives me hope that Road To Glory is more popular this edition. What other editions would help improve that? More turnover in owner/bookers and it being less common for an owner to do both. 

This is actually a blessing as I can finally use the first 3 years of the road to glory mostly to improve, as by the time I hit 2000 in my 1997 CVerse road to glory, I had already made it to the SWF, but I still wasn't experienced enough. So I'm glad I could possibly hold weekly events to improve my skills at a faster rate.

19 minutes ago, TheDeep5ix said:

I had a lot of fun with India in the expanded Cornellverse, although I imagine many real-life mod makers haven't done much with the region.

Africa still has a lot of potential. At the very least, it would be nice if there was an option to add whatever locations they want since not every player is going to be playing with the same locations.

In a dream world I'd have something like what's already there on a bigger scale, you have most of the world in the Database, some of it more bare bones than other places, and you have the ability to toggle the more bare-bones areas on or off. 

Would it lead to other regions in the game not really being filled at the start, yeah? But it would at least mean they are there to be used and since it would be toggleable (like India was) players could just choose not to use it until modders (or, again, dream world, game updates) fleshed the regions out some more. 

• Like 1

Here's another question/thought. What pieces of data will be super similar from 2020? I've been working on a database off and on for a long time and I've been on as of late. Instead of doing a bunch of stuff that needs to be greatly updated (worker additions), what things are going to be about the same? Thinking moves, matches, injuries, locations might be the most similar. I'm sure I'll have to update my names database with any new areas, but I'd like to get ahead of whatever is on my list.

Oh! Will there still be the same limit on database entries in any specific sheet? I wouldn't mind redoing my random names database again if I had tens of thousands more records available. Hahahahah (I did it like four times in an attempt to whittle it down to an acceptable number before succeeding.)

• Like 2

More of a general question to everybody than just something on the game, I know we don't have any real idea of world changes yet, but does anyone have ideas for diaries they may do early on? 

4 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

Because everybody really put India to good use when it was added.

If we're talking Real World Mods, that is up to them.

The major issue I had with India was from TEW 2016 to TEW 2020, nothing happened in India. Hell, we didn't even get retconned Indian workers/lore/stories from 20xx-2020. We got... Kashmir Singh wanting to start a promotion over there? I think? Was the AI even capable of doing that? Fleshing out more areas around the world would be my #1 priority in terms of "what has changed in the Cverse", honestly. Europe and Australia are middling at best as well, though Europe has it (much) worse. And I mean "Europe" not "21CW." I get that adding 200-500 Indian workers would be cumbersome and difficult, but giving us an entire new area to play with, and making it absolutely barren was ludicrous, and turned an exciting addition into an oft forgettable and downright unused one. Despite the negativity, though, I would like Asia to get more expanded. SEA/China would be cool. Africa as well. But of course you run the issue of having to add lore and a plethora of workers to make the world feel alive. With AI generated workers it might be easier/less time consuming to do so, but yeah, I'm unsure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Good to see touring contracts back. Still think contracts need a revamp - a middle ground between written and exclusive written. Something like a 'TV exclusive' where a company can sign a worker to a written contract barring them from working with any other companies with a TV deal. Would make things much more realistic - for instance the AEW guys who work indie dates should be open to pay per appearance contracts with indies without being able to be signed by TNA, WWE etc. Similarly you should be able to hire any local talent for an evening as long as they don't have a TV exclusive contract. Companies, especially AEW, are always bringing in notable indie talent on one night deals as enhancement talent. Restricting one night only deals to purely those with no contracts whatsoever isn't realistic. Could then bring in a tryout/trial option for local talent - perform well in a TV match and they may get further bookings, a contract etc. 

This is how I hope it is done, hopefully limited to company size(preferebly of your choosing)

2 hours ago, TheDeep5ix said:

I really want an expanded world in TEW IX. Give us the ability to make Crown Jewel actually take place in Saudi Arabia, and give us access to China, Africa... hell, even Antarctica! There's no Antarctic wrestling, but we could make it a reality if we wanted to! 

As for today's announcements, I like the idea of the expanded angle system, I think it would make even just things like "Worker comes out, talks for a bit, then is attacked" be a lot more accessible, since right now you'd have to choose between them being rated on entertainment or fighting/selling. Now you can do both! 

Also really looking forward to the expanded database making tools like the out-of-game editing features and expanded things for mass editing to do. No idea how powerful it's gonna be, but I'm excited regardless! 

Also, the merchandise cut thing is really helpful, since just guessing wasn't really cutting it, and 25% for everyone seems off. 😛

If I have one family member wrestle for 3 years, from 18 years old to 21, but then his 23 year old brother debuts, will the older sibling start educating the younger one or is it based off experience?

• Like 3

Hopefully the new angle system saves time, the good thing about the pre-made angles were that you could make and save your own for later use.

Also, external editing sounds good for modmakers!

And with the older family members mentor thing, does that only apply to wrestlers? So if there were a referee father/son duo, would the father help his son? same for the other roles.

And if you have a BIG family, would all of them act as mentors(not messed with mentors all too much in the editor so I don't know the limitations)

7 hours ago, JrSquared said:

Id like to see product types have built in hiring rules for the AI. Like if USPW is a Family Friendly type product they should avoid hiring workers who are hardcore styles. 

Also gimmicks. It seems off that the only gimmick-related restriction is about comedy gimmicks (which are fairly rare irl). Products are about fan expectations, so it would fit if fans didn't just reject one specific category, but actively want certain gimmick types. If I watch a hardcore-based product, I expect to see edgier gimmicks (Bad Ass, Offbeat/Unstable) than in a family friendly entertainment product (where I'd want Gimmicky/Cartoonish, Comedy). Certain gimmicks should do better in certain products - 'Stars and Major Stars receive a boost if they are using a Bad Ass gimmick' - or it could be handled like match aims, 'Shows must feature at least X workers with gimmicks from these categories'. This would also help to reflect changing trends, say the Attitude Era Entertainment shift when Realistic/Bad Ass gimmicks replace Gimmicky/Cartoonish ones.

• Like 4