TEW IX Public Beta Release Reaction Thread

43 minutes ago, jp49er80 said:

I love it. Sadly I'm already at March and I really want to keep my save going. I assume I can go from beta to full when the game's out?

Yeah, saves can be continued.

• Like 1

So I finally had time to play through one month of the game and here are my thoughts.

The number of clicks has gone up but that's mainly due to the rework worker screen. 90% of the rest of the day to day navigation is virtually the same as in TEW2020. By the way some were reacting you'd think this issue permeated throughout everything so it seems a little overblown. However the worker screen is one that we do have to deal with often so it does have a big effect. Now as someone who does have some fairly painful RSI I'm not a fan of more clicks, however from a visual standpoint by putting items on different tabs I find it easier to see, especially with skills. In 2020 I constantly found my eyes just passing over the skill I was looking for in that long scrollable list. So I guess I haven't made up my mind on this particular issue.

Show booking seems straight forward. I didn't really get into the new angle system yet. Since I'm booking QAW all I did was add 2 five minute interview segments using the quick add, and I didn't bother filling out any additional details. It took like 10 seconds. I'll try out the more advanced features later.

Overall I'm liking all the new what I will call “RPG” features (Booking team, Inner Circle, etc).

As far as portraits, I did decide to try the default gif version first and I do like the logo backdrop. However it seems that since the transparency is square and consistent image to image, this same visual effect could be obtained by using smaller head shots and positioning it correctly on the VB form (screen) and keeping everything as jpg to not lose the color depth. The lower backdrop image will still be drawn and the exposed parts will still show past the now smaller image. I'm not going to try to explain this better or go into more detail as I'm pretty sure this is something that would not be changed at this point anyway. And I admit with the worker images being so small (103x103 when you remove the transparency) only having 256 colors isn't that noticeable (the thing that is really noticeable with transparent gifs is lack of anti-aliasing on the transparency which is a non issue if you are using a square). Personally since the screens were being redesigned I would have preferred the head shots stay at 150x150 and the logo backdrops be made bigger (200 x 200 or something) but I understand that would likely require a bunch of picture packs for real world mods needing to be re-done.

• Like 3

Quick add angle is my hook-up. Holla if ya hear me!

Saying that, I do miss the post match celebration. I was looking at quick add angle and thinking of ways to do it.  Anybody else stuck on this question?

Edited by Alan James
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't going to buy it because I didn't really play the last game, however, I thought why not try out the Beta since it is free. I went through 3 months quick, so I guess I got to buy it to keep this game going. I'm really liking the new angle system. I really going to have to look at things more closely as I just jumped in without looking at the new features.

1 hour ago, Alan James said:

Quick add angle is my hook-up. Holla if ya hear me!

Saying that, I do miss the post match celebration. I was looking at quick add angle and thinking of ways to do it.  Anybody else stuck on this question?

I would do something along the lines of the role being 'character development'

• Like 2

An issue I have found is companies with 2 night events ,e.g. Wrestlemania, aren’t taking into account that a wrestler was on the first night. I’m aware this happened recently with a few people being double booked but in my tests both nights all the main titles are defended again. Not sure how easy that is to change but would be nice to have 2 separate cards and also it makes them have 2 very high rated shows using the top stars both nights. 

2 hours ago, Historian said:

I would do something along the lines of the role being 'character development'

Just curious, why character development over "working the crowd"? Celebration usually involves the crowd from what I see.

Edited by Goliathus
  • Like 3

I really hope the storyline success is changed, it seems weird you can't do a beatdown angle without the more popular wrestler turning into Hulk Hogan and saying it doesn't work for them brother, it needs a little rework even if major storyline victories acted like a match would while the other 2 wouldn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Goliathus said:

Just curious, why character development over "working the crowd"? Celebration usually involves the crowd from what I see.

To be honest, I didn’t have the game open in front of me when I answered. Working the crowd could work and probably would work better. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chm39 said:

IDK If its been said yet, (I'm still reading through the thread) but, It'd be nice the "?" sent you to that part of the Handbook like 2020 did.

Agreed, this would be very helpful.

• Like 2

I am beginning to warm up to this version the more time I spend with it and actually engaging with it I think more in the way it’s meant to be played rather than just being frustrated I can’t use it the same way I did TEW20.

Biggest issue I’m having is with the new angle system, admittedly I am a freestyle angle abuser, shove the best talkers or people I’m trying to get a pop boost to, rate them on their best skills and watch the high scores roll in. In my head its always been I know what’s happening in these angles but they have always been incredibly monotonous/auto pilot situation. What I’ve quickly come to realise is that going straight for a 30 man roster and trying to run 30mins of angles per show is actually way beyond me creatively right now and not something I was having fun with. So I’ve slowed it down, started a new company with a product with a very low angle requirement and a much smaller roster which I have built from the ground up and already I’m connecting with things way more. I actually have some anticipation when I hit that next segment button to see how my angle turned out (spoiler - they suck as does a lot of what im putting on right now with my insignificant company) and that is something new and really refreshing.

What I most enjoy about these games is looking back over things on a long term basis, those unexpected pivots you have to make what I’m starting to realise is Im actually getting way more of that in a shorter time frame. I don’t want to always be able to execute things near perfectly in these games and yet find it almost impossible not to in 20. I want to lean into the roleplay aspects whenever they do present themselves and I’m finding that on a much more frequent basis with this edition.

I often have this idea in my head with games that I refer to as being able to “read the matrix” y’know that scene where they’re looking at the screen and he says I don't even see the code anymore its just blonde, brunette,  redhead…. I’m butchering the scene and this explanation actually having to put it into words (its like a freestyle angle ok it makes sense in my head!) but the point is its always this bittersweet moment to me when I do play a game enough to stop seeing ooohhh thats a cool new weapon and instead its mehhh its only a 1.25 damage multiplier and I can already get 1.5 out of what I have. I enjoy not being able to read the matrix of TEW9 and I hope I can delay that feeling as long as possible, I’m gonna build my inner circle not of the best choices but the ones I actually have some connection to and in my mind deserve it, I’m gonna fire that super talented dude who keeps falling out with my boys rather than just throw some cash at him until he’s happy.

A couple days ago I said its not the game its me and was honestly quite ready to put it away and dive back into my 20 save. I’ve changed my approach and I’m glad I did, theres still some areas I have issue with and would love to see some minor changes but I’m also getting to that point where I’m so enamoured with the other changes that I don’t think I can go back.

• Like 6

I was fully prepared to come on here and complain that fast advance wasn’t stopping when my shortlisted workers had contract renewals coming up when I had the option selected, but then I remembered that I needed to actually choose which emails were important. Friendly reminder to do that, yall!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JackH2020 said:

its always this bittersweet moment to me when I do play a game enough to stop seeing ooohhh thats a cool new weapon and instead its mehhh its only a 1.25 damage multiplier and I can already get 1.5 out of what I have. I enjoy not being able to read the matrix of TEW9 and I hope I can delay that feeling as long as possible

Very much this. Part of the reason why I've enjoyed the TEW series for so long. It's a little hard to get into initially, but if I was being handheld through a tutorial and helped through everything, I'd get bored of it quick. I get the urge to figure out things and "master" the game, but once you free yourself from that way of thinking, it's a whole new world. Once that shift happened in my head, I stopped looking at the dirt sheet report of each match and worrying about eliminating all the negatives or maximizing all the positives. When everything works perfect, it's boring because there's nothing new and exciting that can happen, it's the failures and twists that spice things up. Ever since, I've even tried to extend this feeling and so far my go-to has been mandatory pre-booking, with bonuses and penalties. Takes a bit of extra effort, but it actually gives me a frame with my booking, a sense of meaning and direction, instead of making things up on the fly on the night of the show, plus it stands to reason you'd need to know matches ahead of time in order to promote them. Furthermore, if you do manage to pull it off, you get a sweet bonus, if not, because you were careless or someone got injured, you get punished and the event itself becomes more impactful. In that sense, I am enjoying how TEW IX expands upon such themes: I now have more reasons to pre-book, so I'll know who to give the night off when it's time to do the show. Or I can be even more impacted if a scheduled and promoted match doesn't happen because a worker couldn't make it due to the weather.

In other news, I just realized that there's no mention of a worker's skin or race on their profile. Smooth move, I appreciate it.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, JackH2020 said:

Biggest issue I’m having is with the new angle system, admittedly I am a freestyle angle abuser, shove the best talkers or people I’m trying to get a pop boost to, rate them on their best skills and watch the high scores roll in. In my head its always been I know what’s happening in these angles but they have always been incredibly monotonous/auto pilot situation. What I’ve quickly come to realise is that going straight for a 30 man roster and trying to run 30mins of angles per show is actually way beyond me creatively right now and not something I was having fun with. So I’ve slowed it down, started a new company with a product with a very low angle requirement and a much smaller roster which I have built from the ground up and already I’m connecting with things way more. I actually have some anticipation when I hit that next segment button to see how my angle turned out (spoiler - they suck as does a lot of what im putting on right now with my insignificant company) and that is something new and really refreshing.

What I most enjoy about these games is looking back over things on a long term basis, those unexpected pivots you have to make what I’m starting to realise is Im actually getting way more of that in a shorter time frame. I don’t want to always be able to execute things near perfectly in these games and yet find it almost impossible not to in 20. I want to lean into the roleplay aspects whenever they do present themselves and I’m finding that on a much more frequent basis with this edition.

I agree 100%.  The new angle system (I did HATE IT originally) has made me book smarter.  In previous versions, I just went "Modern Opening 10 minute speech between these two dudes) and in my head it had "entrance, talking, OH MY GOD BLANK IS HERE, more talking, and maybe a beatdown"

I get to book it now.  Makes me really think each character.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Very much this. Part of the reason why I've enjoyed the TEW series for so long. It's a little hard to get into initially, but if I was being handheld through a tutorial and helped through everything, I'd get bored of it quick. I get the urge to figure out things and "master" the game, but once you free yourself from that way of thinking, it's a whole new world. Once that shift happened in my head, I stopped looking at the dirt sheet report of each match and worrying about eliminating all the negatives or maximizing all the positives. When everything works perfect, it's boring because there's nothing new and exciting that can happen, it's the failures and twists that spice things up. Ever since, I've even tried to extend this feeling and so far my go-to has been mandatory pre-booking, with bonuses and penalties. Takes a bit of extra effort, but it actually gives me a frame with my booking, a sense of meaning and direction, instead of making things up on the fly on the night of the show, plus it stands to reason you'd need to know matches ahead of time in order to promote them. Furthermore, if you do manage to pull it off, you get a sweet bonus, if not, because you were careless or someone got injured, you get punished and the event itself becomes more impactful. In that sense, I am enjoying how TEW IX expands upon such themes: I now have more reasons to pre-book, so I'll know who to give the night off when it's time to do the show. Or I can be even more impacted if a scheduled and promoted match doesn't happen because a worker couldn't make it due to the weather.

In other news, I just realized that there's no mention of a worker's skin or race on their profile. Smooth move, I appreciate it.

For the love of God man I've already let you poison me against Freestyle Angles is that not enough for you! Aha I can appreciate how rewarding that must be though. My method is to plan around 3 months in advance working backwards from PPVs up until I seem to reach a certain size and then I just sort of wing things knowing a bunch of places I can pull a big rating from. I do understand that feeling of having things mapped out and even the fun of having to pivot away from plans but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that leap yet but I'll let the idea simmer away. I know that's not what you were actually saying but it's been implanted now all the same.

• Like 1

I just downloaded and opened up the demo to be met by an alert that the game needs to be run in administrator mode.

And honestly, the fact that this is *still* the case so many versions later is ridiculous.  Windows has a specific place to put things like game saves that don't require administrator access.  There is no reason that a video game, of all things, should require administrator access.  That's not what that is for.  Admin access to install, sure.  To play the game?  Absolutely not.

Now, I trust that Adam hasn't put anything in the game that is nefarious, but this needs to change...and preferably before you make a final release.  Use the %appdata% folder like you're supposed to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JackH2020 said:

For the love of God man I've already let you poison me against Freestyle Angles is that not enough for you

I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm not a paid shill for GDS/AR, promise! 😂

• Like 1

Really enjoying the demo so far - Noticed though that "Special" has been removed from events so not sure how when playing historical mods you can replicate Saturday Night Main Event for WWF or Clash of Champions for WCW now.  

18 minutes ago, cps_1908 said:

Really enjoying the demo so far - Noticed though that "Special" has been removed from events so not sure how when playing historical mods you can replicate Saturday Night Main Event for WWF or Clash of Champions for WCW now.  

it's there under schedule when adding/editing events

image.thumb.png.b8d07ea296ac761af231e876c099dec1.png

• Like 1