Merge the Status and Skill sections together

On 7/29/2024 at 10:35 PM, beatingstuff88 said:

imo top skills would be a mistake, because most of all workers will have very good rep, resilience, selling, basics, experience, stamina etcetera, those are handy sure, but when products are involved seeing the top level skills at one glance. I feel the buttons on the right take up too much space, maybe get rid of some of that to put in more skills? just thinking out loud

Good point, but that could be solved by just not including some of those (and I say those because I feel like stamina/selling/psych, for instance, are pretty essencial.

On 7/28/2024 at 11:40 PM, Idolized said:

The complaint when 2020 dropped was that the screen was far too crowded and ugly. Now it is better organized and has space to breathe. The stats are laid out on their own page just a click away instead of having to click a scroll bar a bunch of times or scroll a mouse wheel up and down. Is the one click that drastic of a change? It surely doesn’t take any more time when all of the stats weren’t visible from 2020’s main screen and you had to click/scroll?

The roster pages are a dratic visual improvement over 2020, however they provide so many extra clicks that it's now form over function. For myself it's a game breaker. When you want to start a new company and hire on mass. Having to hire 30-40 workers while flicking between multiple screens is just unworkable. Filters are great, but they also mean extra clicks, opening windows etc.

Just an extra tab for "Overview" where everything is shown in its ugliest, most functional form makes so much sense.

The dev journal talked about feedback from the 2020 and the strive to reduce the amount of clicks. The feedback from IX Beta has to be the sheer number of clicks to find basic info that has been readily available in every tew game so far.

Worker Stat, Attributes, skills and popularity all on one ugly a' sheet 😄

• Like 7

On 7/28/2024 at 11:40 PM, Idolized said:

The complaint when 2020 dropped was that the screen was far too crowded and ugly. Now it is better organized and has space to breathe. The stats are laid out on their own page just a click away instead of having to click a scroll bar a bunch of times or scroll a mouse wheel up and down. Is the one click that drastic of a change? It surely doesn’t take any more time when all of the stats weren’t visible from 2020’s main screen and you had to click/scroll?

For me personally, space to breathe doesn't necessarily mean it's not ugly - it's still rough to look at, but I've now got less information at a glance than I had before. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I was playing a real world mod because I already have at least basic knowledge of who I'm looking at, but I'm really noticing at the moment while playing the CVerse that I'm having to constantly click back and forth between at least 3 tabs because I have no idea who anyone is and I'm learning as I go. Everything wasn't immediately visible on TEW 2020, but at least most of it was.

• Like 8

I like the new interface in general because it looks much cleaner, but after a bit more playtime, I do have to agree that it's incredibly annoying to click back and forth between several sub-screens to get the information we used to have in one place (for the most part) in 2020.

I know it's probably not the same for a lot of others, but for me, the most annoying thing is that momentum and perception are in a different screen than popularity. It drives me crazy to have to click back and forth for clearly connected pieces of information (meaning that all three factors combine to show how a worker is doing in my company).

• Like 6

On 7/31/2024 at 1:39 PM, Togg said:

The roster pages are a dratic visual improvement over 2020, however they provide so many extra clicks that it's now form over function. For myself it's a game breaker. When you want to start a new company and hire on mass. Having to hire 30-40 workers while flicking between multiple screens is just unworkable. Filters are great, but they also mean extra clicks, opening windows etc.

Just an extra tab for "Overview" where everything is shown in its ugliest, most functional form makes so much sense.

The dev journal talked about feedback from the 2020 and the strive to reduce the amount of clicks. The feedback from IX Beta has to be the sheer number of clicks to find basic info that has been readily available in every tew game so far.

Worker Stat, Attributes, skills and popularity all on one ugly a' sheet 😄

I can not agree with you more. Visually the roster pages are nice to look at but they lack substance. You have to add so many extra clicks, if you want to see anything. 

As things stand, I can't see myself purchasing a game that forces me to make so many unnecessary extra clicks for something that should all be readily available to me on the roster page. 

• Like 6

Just want to say that many of the alternative layouts provided here are a vast improvement to what's in the game, and to those saying "I don't mind having vital information hidden behind extra clicks because the new page looks so much better and cleaner." I strongly disagree. The page isn't 'clean', it's empty. It's poorly designed and the space available is poorly utilized. Some information is given much more space than it actually needs. Why are the roles giant icons? They could be much smaller and just as readable. and the entire middle section could be merged with the left section. Why do the buttons take up an entire 1/3rd of the screen when they could easily be migrated under the tabs, or, for example, the match, job, and title history buttons could be merged into it's own "history" tab with all of that information available?

Like I said in the general feedback thread, whatever testing and feedback process is used for the UI in general needs to be drastically overhauled because any process that ends with a finished project having such poor design, readability, and use of space as TEW 2020, to only then get worse in the next edition should be unacceptable for a professional piece of software.

• Like 9

I like to shortlist a bunch of workers at the beginning of a game.  This layout has made this absolutely unbearable.

I'm on the Skills page to obviously look at skills
Then I have to click on Popularity to look at popularity
Then I have to click Status
Then click Shortlist

Then click BACK to Skills for the next person and then repeat everything again

2020 was ONE click to see EVERYTHING and ONE click to SHORTLIST!

Once I'm looking at my shortlist, you used to be able to go back and forth QUICKLY and EASILY to compare multiple workers.  Now, you have to click and click and click and click.

This is not OKAY.

I have always been a big supporter of this franchise, since the beginning but this has to be one of the weirdest decisions I've come across in my many years playing these games.

Edited by stratusfaction
  • Like 6

On 7/28/2024 at 8:29 AM, beatingstuff88 said:

So to just come out and say it: The most important things to know when hiring a worker is

1. what is the worker good at

2. how well known is he?

3. what is their personality?

Currently i dont get any of that when opening or looking at a workers profile. now i can only see what they are, the fact that they do/dont work, are/arent unemployed and dont have titles or positions of power. Add to that the massive amount of buttons on the right and all you end up with on the first page is a huge amount of dead space (screenshot courtesy of ericmassac)

tew-4.thumb.png.77ffc4f54e94f6ec3a69c4395d6b1994.png

The spaces that have been highlighted in your example isn't blank space. Since the layout isn't responsive, it has to account for the full list (see Alex Shelley below). A lot of complaints seem to be around the fact that the Negotiate and Shortlist buttons aren't available on every screen. Perhaps putting those buttons in the bar with the tabs so that they are clickable no matter which tab you're in would be helpful.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 10.47.30 PM.jpg

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Idolized said:

The spaces that have been highlighted in your example isn't blank space. Since the layout isn't responsive, it has to account for the full list (see Alex Shelley below). A lot of complaints seem to be around the fact that the Negotiate and Shortlist buttons aren't available on every screen. Perhaps putting those buttons in the bar with the tabs so that they are clickable no matter which tab you're in would be helpful.

I see what you are saying here and I agree to a point.  In your example there isn't a lot of empty space, however the Status page IMO should NOT be the most important data you go off when looking at a worker.  

Having the Negotiate and Shortlist option on every page is helpful.

From what I can tell from this thread; the most complaints are that the Skills and Popularity are in two different tabs and you have to toggle between the two to see the most important data of a worker.  The only way to fix this complaint is to somehow combine Skill and Popularity into one screen again.  I'm not a programer, so I don't know if this would be an easy fix for Adam or not, or if he would even be open to the idea.  This does seem to be a hot  issue right now though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Idolized said:

This would, in my view, be an elegant solution to the issue, while retaining the generally (much cleaner) look of the new design. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 7:10 PM, Idolized said:

Are you not using search parameters to narrow your fields down?

That doesn't make as much of a difference as you think if you've turned scouting on. If I've searched for someone with at least 90 psychology, for example, it'll show me anyone with "90" somewhere in their range. This could be 81-95, or it could be 55-100, which tells me nothing except it's at least a 55, which, when looking for a *road agent*, for example, is not good, so relying on searches to narrow things down wouldn't really help unless you have scouting turned off. 

Yes to all of these suggested improvements. There's way too much dead space in the first menu and it's infuriating to click on several tabs to see the necessary information.

ps. also bring the letters back, they still are amazing and the much better choice for skills and pop than the puke of numbers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hate bringing discussions back from the dead but here I am....

For the people that voiced their concerns with the things that were discussed in this topic, I have a question for you...

Did you end up buying the game?  If so, did these things get better for you with time? Or are you still struggling with it?

1. Negative space on the screen between elements is good design principle.

2. We should see the most pertinent information - personality, popularity, skills.

How about give us 5 "elements", and for each one, we choose what it displays. This lets each person's screen show what they want it to within some limits of "how much".

EDIT:

11 hours ago, stratusfaction said:

For the people that voiced their concerns with the things that were discussed in this topic, I have a question for you...

Did you end up buying the game?  If so, did these things get better for you with time? Or are you still struggling with it?

Nothing was a dealbreaker. I bought it as soon as I found out about it, which was late. I've been playing since TEW 2013 and have bought every game since, so I had a good idea what I would be getting. I am happy with all of the improvements. I am still getting used to some changes.

I still wish the elements gave me the things I actually want to see on one screen without clicking all over the place (personality, attributes, popularity, skills).

Edited by thadian

2 minutes ago, thadian said:

1. Negative space on the screen between elements is good design principle.

2. We should see the most pertinent information - personality, popularity, skills.

How about give us 5 "elements", and for each one, we choose what it displays. This lets each person's screen show what they want it to within some limits of "how much".

I love the whole "let us choose" idea for everything but not knocking Adam in anyway but he hasn't really been open to letting us choose.  There is a reason why we can no longer set our own company products anymore... 

I would love if Adam was able to give everyone an option to either download the current game that has the screen split up like it is or a new version which would have the skills and populartity on the same screen.

I understand some peopel like the new way and other's don't. As of this message, this is the most viewed and most replied to topic on the Suggestions board; which means it's a hot topic of discussion. 

7 hours ago, stratusfaction said:

I bought the game anyway. I've also just changed how I work with searching for talent so that I don't have to do so much clicking.

It's still very annoying but not a full deal-breaker.

On 8/29/2024 at 11:34 PM, stratusfaction said:

I havnt purchased TEW IX, it's too much of a big issue for me. If there was a hybrid approach of the new and an overview tab for getting all the info in one, it would possibly make me rethink.

We will see if it's a big no, or its in a future patch 🙂

Just now, Togg said:

I havnt purchased TEW IX, it's too much of a big issue for me. If there was a hybrid approach of the new and an overview tab for getting all the info in one, it would possibly make me rethink.

We will see if it's a big no, or its in a future patch 🙂

I know Adam worked really hard on this game and it's really good but this is the biggest issue for me.  I purchased it because over the past almost 25 years, Adam has given me tens of thousands of hours of entertainment through his games.  

Adam has been putting out consistent patches for this game from the beginning and some of the things that he has patched in are from suggestions from all of us, so we know Adam reads these suggestions and takes them into consideration.  Fingers crossed, he has considered doing something with this.

50 minutes ago, stratusfaction said:

I know Adam worked really hard on this game and it's really good but this is the biggest issue for me.  I purchased it because over the past almost 25 years, Adam has given me tens of thousands of hours of entertainment through his games.  

Adam has been putting out consistent patches for this game from the beginning and some of the things that he has patched in are from suggestions from all of us, so we know Adam reads these suggestions and takes them into consideration.  Fingers crossed, he has considered doing something with this.

I think it comes down to time, mostly. He does not have infinite time, and the game is already in a completed state, so he mostly makes small changes, with the occasional bigger one coming in once in a while. So he probably considers all of the ideas, but only really thinks about which ones would be practical, and focuses on those ones first.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:34 PM, stratusfaction said:

I have not and will not. Not just for the poor UI decisions, but other shifts in gameplay, though the issues with UI is a huge factor in my decision.
I didn't buy TEW2020 because of the UI and this edition improved nothing and actually made things worse.

• Like 1