PSW: Furnace of Champions

PSW Championship (Loser leaves PSW): Logan Wolfsbaine(c) vs Ernest Youngman 

No Mercy: Xavi Ferrera vs Buck Winchester

Shackled Escape: Cerberus vs Tennessee William

Gang Warfare: The Latino Kings vs The Legion of Blood

National Title: Dumfrey Pinn(c) vs ???

PSW Tag Team Titles: Devil May Care vs Samoan Destruction Inc vs The Hot Taggs vs The Hangman Experience

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)? Yes

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? The Latino Kings vs The Legion of Blood

• Like 1

More of an inkling on this one, Youngman's had more character development I feel

Bit of a coin flip, Ferrera's the most logical challenger to the above winner

I think it's time we see what Tennessee's really made of

Providing they don't start fights every week with the roster, The Kings are probably the next next best challengers for the tag belts

You seem to be enjoying this gimmick so I think it carries on 

PSW Tag Team Titles: Devil May Care vs Samoan Destruction Inc vs The Hot Taggs vs The Hangman Experience

The Samoans are too banged up and the other two teams are a bit raw so I'll play this one safe

Wayyyyyyyy higher than a 55

I'm going for Tennessee to drag Cerb to the second highest rated match on the card

• Like 1

PSW Championship (Loser leaves PSW): Logan Wolfsbaine(c) vs Ernest Youngman 

I think Logan might have gotten a contract in Japan which Ernest couldn't have 

No Mercy: Xavi Ferrera vs Buck Winchester

Xavi is the GOAT

Shackled Escape: Cerberus vs Tennessee William

It's an escape match so heat magnet wins

Gang Warfare: The Latino Kings vs The Legion of Blood

I just really like the Latino Kings

National Title: Dumfrey Pinn(c) vs ???

Pinn bossing his goons is a good gimmick that doesn't need the belt (but I love him having it regardless). Then again they were looking for a scrub for this challenge so who knows.

PSW Tag Team Titles: Devil May Care vs Samoan Destruction Inc vs The Hot Taggs vs The Hangman Experience

All Title Changes? Yeah no way but I'm feeling this here.

No way it's not a 62+ show imo

Hopefully for you Xavi vs Buck is second best

• Like 1

PSW Championship (Loser leaves PSW): Logan Wolfsbaine(c) vs Ernest Youngman 

PSW Tag Team Titles: Devil May Care vs Samoan Destruction Inc vs The Hot Taggs vs The Hangman Experience (with Jerry Pepper)

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)? No

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? Lk vs Lb

• Like 1

Predictions

Considering the storyline I just can't see Logan leaving PSW with that cloud over him. Whereas Ernest could get the ultimate heel send off and Logan is free to pursue a quasi-redemption arc. 

I think Xavi rides the momentum to a title win!

The seems like a match the Latino Kings shouldn't lose-- like Dudleyz and table matches. 

Not betting against the KingPinn.

I agree with @Satyr24. Isn't it "The Hangman Experience-- with Jerry Pepper"? 

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)? Yes.

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? Xavi and Buck for suuuure.

• Like 1

Logan leaving with the allegations unconfirmed seems a bit rough on him, something he wouldn't agree to behind the scenes as it damages his reputation (even if it is all kayfabe). I have a feeling the lady accused might have a part to play in the outcome.

I'm going to buck the trend (yes, pun intended) and go with Buck. Not 100% sure why I feel it, but I think Xavi can handle the loss while it really does a lot for Buck.

Shenanigans.

The old FCW boys have always been favourites of mine.

Too early to end this gimmick.

The Hangman Experience are the hot thing right now, but I think they still have plenty of bonding to do before they get the big prize.

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)? Higher

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? Xavi vs. Buck

I LOVE how split the predictions are on Logan vs. Youngman. Great work.

• Like 1

I'm not great at the prediction side of things but wanted to comment on what a well-built card this is. A main event with a huge build and even bigger permutations. Three of the gimmick matches you teased a while back on the undercard, each with a story reason rather than just gimmicks for the sake of it. The chance for The Hangman Experience to quickly put themselves at the top of a strong tag division. And the Dumfrey Pinn match still feels like an attraction because of the fun story. Wondering if we could see Charlie Bland here or if it's too soon.

I had the same thought as @Willsky that it's fun seeing how split the main event picks are in capturing the unpredictability. I'm leaning towards Ernest Youngman just with the thought that Logan Wolfsbaine didn't really have to put his career up unless it was because he's leaving, but Xavi Ferrera pinning Wolfsbaine adds to the intrigue as it opens that path. Or was Xavi's tension with Youngman teasing that as the next title feud? It shows how well you've told it that there's so much to play with, plus potentially closure to the Venus part of the story.

Oh, and I loved the tease about how TeddAI is going to be a vehicle for getting someone else over too.

• Like 1

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)? Higher

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? Xavi & Buck

• Like 1

Predictions

PSW Championship (Loser leaves PSW): Logan Wolfsbaine (c) vs Ernest Youngman

Tough one, but I feel like maybe the payoff whole storyline with Logan and Venus involves then being in a relationship behind Ernest's back/venus cheating on Ernest and him being jealous/delusional and controlling? Idk, it's definitely a messy situation to sort out. In a weird way Logan losing in the tag match makes me think he's staying since he's got challengers lined up. Xavi pinned him, but you could argue it was Buck's misfire that put him down.

You've got one of your top stars leaving, so a win here would really cement Xavi's place as the top challenger after his win over Logan in the main event. It works especially well if Logan is the one sticking around since he's the one he pinned.

I wanted to pick Cerberus, but a match where you win by running away is Tenessee William's specialty.

I just like the Latino Kings more.

I feel like we have the opportunity for a real 123 kid situation, or maybe someone on your roster putting on a mask and pretending to be a bad local wrestler to catch Pinn off guard. I'm probably wrong and there's certainly more juice left in a Pinn run, but I think it could happen here.

I love what I've seen of the hangman Experience, but I think the champs retain it here.

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)?  Yes

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? Xavi vs Buck

Edited by Tiberious
  • Like 2

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)? Yes

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? Xavi vs. Buck

• Like 1

PSW Championship (Loser leaves PSW): Logan Wolfsbaine(c) vs Ernest Youngman more of a hope lol

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)?  Yes

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? Xavi vs Buck

• Like 2

First, predictions are not what Eggplants do best.

Predictions

PSW Championship (Loser leaves PSW): Logan Wolfsbaine(c) vs Ernest Youngman - Second, I have a feeling that this match is the result of one of these two was poached by one of the "Big 3" and since it could have been either it is really hard to predict. Of course, I am making the assumption that this will be a real "loser leave town match" and not same lame "loser returns in a mask" with a new name for a few months thing.

No Mercy: Xavi Ferrera vs Buck Winchester - I really like what @christmas_ape is doing with the Buck character in this diary but I feel like Xavi is getting the push to the Main Event. 

Shackled Escape: Cerberus vs Tennessee William - Bringing in a name like William and presenting him acting so cowardly has been perfect, he has been the antithesis of what PSW wants to be, so naturally he has to find a way to win.

Gang Warfare: The Latino Kings vs The Legion of Blood - Like I said I am bad at predictions but I really like the LoB and I can see some really interesting LoB vs Martin angles developing out of this.

National Title: Dumfrey Pinn(c) vs ??? - I can't imagine a good scenario where a champion drops a title to a ???? after such a short reign.

PSW Tag Team Titles: Devil May Care vs Samoan Destruction Inc vs The Hot Taggs vs The Hangman Experience - Frankly, every small promotion diary I have read has brought in Texas Hangman...meh. The depiction of the reactions from Pepper about the whole experience make it entertaining to read but not championship worthy.

Will the rating be higher than the last special event (55)? It should be, but that is nature of leaving your fate up to a set of digital dice (the original random number generators)

What match will score the highest (not included the main event)? This is tough because it seems like it should be the tag title match but the more people involved in a match the higher your chances of one or more wrestlers having an off day, someone getting hurt, etc. throwing off your numbers...with that in mind singles action seems to consistently score better and William is a good worker so I think the Shackled Escape match.

But like I said, predictions are not what Eggplants do best

• Like 1

Great show! Love to see the big events come along to really pull those stories together. One highlight for me were Pinn's challenger, excellent choice that opens up some fun possibilities. The other was the way the F-off Elvis chant is on its way to becoming a show of affection - that seems just right for a promotion like PSW.

• Like 2

I started to think the Main Event could be a draw? But then, no way, right? Masterfully done, and it would be very interesting to hear if he's gone somewhere else.

Couldn't call many of the matches, which is great in my opinion. If it's too obvious all the way down the card, you've done something wrong.

Wouldn't have called who was under the hood either, even though now it seems obvious!

There was a moment in the six man, where someone took a 'Flapjack Off Jesus' and I read it as a move name, and thought, that's a weird name for a move. Someone religious perhaps?!

Great show, and looking forward to where Buck, Xavi, Chip, Pinn and a few others go... Oooo... Chip and Pinn... New tag team anyone?

• Like 3

Great, great show. All choices and payoffs were noteworthy, from the simple fact you've elevated both Xavi and Buck in consecutive shows, to Chip Martin's rebellious phase kicking off, to Hellcat Hernandez (one of my favorite CVerse wrestlers really), to how nicely written the shackled escape match was. Ernest is mr. PSW but no one really feels comfortable with that being the case and Venus is about to speak which gives you such a huge possible springboard into the next story. The accusation lingering but not being THE focus (well it was the focus of the feud but not of the developments of it) has worked out well I think.

As for biggest match in the history of the independents... if it's not this one then there's a few candidates but I don't think they measure up. Donnie J vs James Prudence is a world class feud. Raven Nightfall vs J-Ro? Jacob Jett vs Sayeed Ali? Halloween Knight vs Pumpkin Jack? The 2010-2012 MAW battles of the next generation of main eventers? Those specifically didn't have the stakes. Maybe the answer lies in DAVE but really, post-Nemesis they're not indie and pre-Nemesis they're not that great. I am creating a headcanon where we got an Insane Machine vs Whippy The Clown match in early CZCW that is a tape trader holy grail.

Maybe Yakuza era WLW counts and one of the endless Magnum Kobe vs Emerald Angel matches is the answer. 

• Like 2

I loved the show, loved Buck getting the win. Tenesse winning as well a big plus for mine.

I just have a question about Logan and what you wanted to originally do with his storyline, as with the major storyline beat of the sexual assault like angle, I feel this isn't the pay off that you necessarily was going for and it was more a poaching of him causing the loser leaves match.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, auberginian said:

But like I said, predictions are not what Eggplants do best

Well I appreciate the commitment to the gimmick. Ape's can't book wrestling shows either but here we are, both trying. Good to have you reading!

14 hours ago, The Lloyd said:

There was a moment in the six man, where someone took a 'Flapjack Off Jesus' and I read it as a move name, and thought, that's a weird name for a move. Someone religious perhaps?!

Come on now, PSW might try hard to be edgy sometimes but we wouldn't show someone flapjacking the son of God off. 

14 hours ago, AboardTheArk said:

As for biggest match in the history of the independents... if it's not this one then there's a few candidates but I don't think they measure up. Donnie J vs James Prudence is a world class feud. Raven Nightfall vs J-Ro? Jacob Jett vs Sayeed Ali? Halloween Knight vs Pumpkin Jack? The 2010-2012 MAW battles of the next generation of main eventers? Those specifically didn't have the stakes. Maybe the answer lies in DAVE but really, post-Nemesis they're not indie and pre-Nemesis they're not that great. I am creating a headcanon where we got an Insane Machine vs Whippy The Clown match in early CZCW that is a tape trader holy grail.

Maybe Yakuza era WLW counts and one of the endless Magnum Kobe vs Emerald Angel matches is the answer. 

That's really interesting. In my mind my only thinking was it's at least arguable that it's the biggest match in the history of the independents so Mitch would surely claim it and of course you're right they'll be other contenders. I imagine in game rating wise the Kobe-Angel matches would have been huge. I think you're right also that if you're looking more at the impact you could argue a DAVE match like Johnny Martin unifying the titles to end the war is up there. 

Show Results

Screenshot 2024-10-01 124625.pngScreenshot 2024-10-01 124643.png

Prediction Scores

So this is tricky because @jcarmjn and @auberginian both scored 6, however the eggplant also didn't pick either Logan or Ernest. So depending on who they meant to pick might have won... But I'm going to just give both the 2 points for winning.

Joint second with 5/8 means a point goes to @Rateddc, @DirigoJoe, @eayragt and @michgcs

There was then plenty of 3s and 4s so a tough one to predict. It was fairly spread though what people got wrong with the only 2 things that really caught people out was Buck over Xavi and the match ratings. I too expected Buck/Xavi to come second but Tennessee really dragged Cerberus to great match. I'm glad because in my mind it was a really huge performance from him given all the bumps and the falling out, climbing up, falling down etc. So I'm glad when that's reflected in game. 

Obviously the main thing of note is the main event rating. The two lived up to the billing of the biggest match in the independents. I can't imagine who could beat that anytime soon. 

In response to those asking about the Logan situation, I can appreciate if it's frustrating but I'd like to keep things hidden for now. There is is going to be a post at some point going over the in game/wider world side of stuff that will show some of the big moves that have happened. Logan might be gone but the storyline isn't really over yet, so I'll hold off explaining things for now... 

Really appreciate all the comments both with the predictions and post show. It's one of my most important shows so whilst really I prefer writing angles and normally keep the matches short, this time it felt like there was a few that I simply had to give more time. So it ended up a bit of a long show. There's only 3 episodes of Steel City Smash before the next PPV (Lockdown) but I'm really excited for them, there's a few little things in there I've been waiting to get to for a while.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, christmas_ape said:

Obviously the main thing of note is the main event rating. The two lived up to the billing of the biggest match in the independents. I can't imagine who could beat that anytime soon. 

On a scale of 1-10 how surprised were you to see an 82 pop up? 😂

Seriously though, was that an "all out match", "call in the ring", "slow build" sort of deal? Creative finish? Just a white hot storyline? Chemistry? With all due respect to PSW, it feels like a lot of things have to go right for a rating that high to happen! 

As far as not telling us why Logan is leaving... All Right Then, Keep Your Secrets - Meming Wiki

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, DirigoJoe said:

On a scale of 1-10 how surprised were you to see an 82 pop up? 😂

Seriously though, was that an "all out match", "call in the ring", "slow build" sort of deal? Creative finish? Just a white hot storyline? Chemistry? With all due respect to PSW, it feels like a lot of things have to go right for a rating that high to happen! 

As far as not telling us why Logan is leaving... All Right Then, Keep Your Secrets - Meming Wiki

A strong 8. I was surprised but I was definitely hoping for something in the 70s. I know @jcarmjn has had some real success with Ali/Logan scoring in the 70s and Youngman/Smooth scoring 81. Honestly I don't think there was anything too special definitely call in ring and open but it's annoying I can't go back and look at the agent notes. Definitely an extremely hot storyline (all 5 of my current ones are extremely hot or very hot I'm guessing our relatively low pop means it requires lower grades to keep it hot as even the tag storyline is very hot and that's never scored well). No positive chemistry. Annoyingly the only chemistry linked to Ernest is he's got great chemistry when being managed by Venus! But obviously she was not there in game. 

I THINK I went with a spectacle (I know I was unsure whether Logan's psychology skill could pull it off so I'm not 100% what I side with). It was 16 minutes. No special bumps (unlike the rest of the card that was full of them) and I don't even think there was a creative finish. It is annoying I can't properly check though but I suppose it's a lot of data for the game to store. 

In my mind the only people who stand a chance at matching that (at least soon) is Ernest vs either Smooth, Ali or Tennessee. Maybe Xavi and Rudy if their popularity was higher. 

Thing is the actual shows still aren't scoring too well, partly because I'm getting penalties for production. I made money this month, just a few hundred but still, so I'm tempted to gamble and up my expenses. 

Edited by christmas_ape
  • Like 4

Stapling the cowboy hat was such a perfect spot: something I wouldn't have thought of but as soon as I read it thought "yeah, this is what would happen in real life". And a fascinating outcome in terms of establishing another strong option to step up in the aftermath of Wolfsbaine v Youngman. A Ferrera loss felt like a genuine surprise given his last result, yet also probably a more logical action than the cowboy surrendering.

The Hangman's story was told really well, with him getting to clear house but missing out on victory because of his refusal to use a weapon. And as fun as the Pepper/Hangman story has been, it would've probably been too much for them to immediately take the titles, so this was the way to keep them, well him, strong in defeat.

You've got everything about this Pinn run spot on so far and that was the case again. A subversion of expectations both in the choice of opponent and the post-match, with him unexpectedly showing respect and then Hellcat responding defiantly.

I'll try to go shorter for the rest of my comments so it doesn't end up longer than the show itself but Chip Martin helping The Legion of Blood was a nice twist well executed by the mask. Ah nice, we did get to see Tennessee William taste his blood and appear to like it. Glad he found himself a way to win, while I enjoyed the In The Ghetto detail.

This was really the night where the hardcore manifesto came to life: finding a way to give every undercard match a distinct hardcore flavour. Then what a line at the start of the main event about after "every weapon imaginable". It's really plausible smart booking: the main event not having a unique set of rules making it more unique. And yet, even without weapons, it had a finish every bit as violent as what came before. Youngman really has been despicable thus far, and it's already intriguing to know we're getting Venus back for the next part of his story.

• Like 3

Show Preview

With Logan Wolfsbaine ousted from Pittsburgh and a new man holding the PSW Championship, the future of PSW is looking unclear. 

The third of three Steel City Smash episodes on the road to Lockdown features Ernest Youngman putting his newly won title on the line and a tournament to decide the next team to take a shot at Devil May Care. Elsewhere on the show we'll hear from Dumfrey Pinn, Johnny Martin goes in search of his son and Venus Angeletti sheds light on a story that has clouded PSW. A big episode for the 10th ever Steel City Smash.

Predictions

PSW Title: Ernest Youngman vs ???

Tag Team Tournament: The Hangman Experience (wJP) vs Samoan Destruction Inc

Tag Team Tournament: The Blood Soldiers vs ???

Will the show be higher than the last episode (47): 

Both of the ??? in the main event and the tag tournament are either a) debut b) someone on original roster c) local jobber

(So to be clear, you only need one answer for the bottom question as it applies to both the mystery man and team)

Predictions

PSW Title: Ernest Youngman vs ??? (A masked wrestler named Leonard Wolfsblood... I dunno, maybe Lenny Brown?

Tag Team Tournament: The Hangman Experience (wJP) vs Samoan Destruction Inc

Tag Team Tournament: The Blood Soldiers vs ??? (Grunt and Stink)

Will the show be higher than the last episode (47): HIGHER

Both of the ??? in the main event and the tag tournament are either a) debut b) someone on original roster c) local jobber

• Like 1