PSW: Furnace of Champions

This is an interesting turn of events. Ernest and Logan - loser leaves PSW?! Wowzers. My thinking (like most no doubt) is that one of them has been poached by a bigger company. In my save, they're both still with PSW, so I have no idea which way this'll go - which makes it exciting.

I also like how the strap match makes sense. One competitor is running from the other, and in a strap match (and in a cage match) he can't. In PSW, of course the strap is a chain. It all makes so much sense, in the way it seems obvious, but yet, it could have been 'half done', and you always 'fully do it'. Take Punk and Drew for example. Great feud, I'm not denying that. But why did they have a strap match? Why are they having a Hell in a Cell match?

The Hangman Experience (with Jerry Pepper) is just great stuff :D I thought Pepper Pelton would make a good partner for Jerry Pepper. 'The Spice Boys' or something.

Overall, another banger of a show!!

• Like 3

Preview

With two weeks until Highway To Hell, the majority of the matches have been announced but the card is always subject to change. This week we see both the National Title and the Steel City Chain up for grabs, a big chance for one of the teams in the Tag Title match to gain momentum and Buck faces a huge test prior to his upcoming No Mercy showdown. 

Predictions

Acid II vs Samoan Machine vs Kalder Tagg

National Title: Dumfrey Pinn vs ???

Buck Winchester vs Devil Dog

Steel City Chain: Sayeed Ali vs Jebediah

Edited by christmas_ape
  • Like 2

Samoan Machine should dominate here but the match has the potential to break down. The big man has my money for persevering in the face of chaos.

I can't wait to see the biggest challenge to Pinn in his career. 

Buck is my boy.

This is a big match and corn fed Jebediah is going to get a big upsetting and shocking win when he beats Ali. 

Momentum heading towards the tag title match for Samoan Machine

This gimmick is just getting started, so I can't see anything other than Pinn squashing another enhancement talent

Looks like he'll be a big part of things going forward, and I don't know much about Devil Dog

Really tough one. I'd usually go with Ali to retain to have a long reigning first champ, but you mentioned there'll be plenty of changes. I think Jebediah is a really fun character with plenty of mileage so he gets my pick.

On 9/12/2024 at 1:58 PM, christmas_ape said:

That's unfortunate about Cerberus although I suppose really that render at this point has nothing to do with 'my' Cerberus. He's an interesting case. In general he's the best case against my current calculation for the Steel Factor. Mostly I look at the list with people ranked by it and I think yeah that makes sense and it's fit for purpose. Cerb has decent hardcore skills, ok psychology and very good toughness and resilience but because of his very low charisma and athleticism he actually has one of the lowest Steel Factors in the company. He's one of only two active wrestlers in the whole world with 100 menace (Garganguan the other) and he's a rare case where his hardcore stat is his highest in ring ability, so it feels like he should have a home in PSW. 

You're absolutely correct that it really has nothing to do with Cerberus in this diary or any other really. Just one of those things where I think I had sort of written him off/ignored him due to that association, but that's not particularly fair.

I hadn't realized he was at 100 Menace, so yeah that's definitely a great reason to feature him and book around him. I like the idea of using Steel Factor as a guideline, but there are exceptions to every rule and it makes a ton of sense for Cerberus to be an exception there. Since he has a manager I could also maybe see including his manager's entertainment skills in his place for the purposes of the formula and seeing where that would land him. I'm also of the mindset that everyone being good all rounders is kind of boring, and find trying to book guys who have clear strengths and weaknesses is a lot more interesting to me; and Cerberus is a perfect example of that.

I'm going to gamble with this ending in some sort of messy nonfinish when all of the tag team partners get involved. 

I'm a big fan of how you're booking Pinn. As a fan of C-Verse Australia I'm very happy to see Pinn still going strong and having a career ressurgance of sorts since I had kind of figured prior to this edition coming out that he would likely be retired thanks to his age and bad knees.

I think Buck takes it here since he's just a much more complete worker and this could easily setup Buck going after Pinn's National Title. I do like Devil Dog and think he could be handy moving forward. I don't think he'll ever be a top level in ring guy, but he's got good intangibles with Dynamo, Deathmatch Wrestler, and Risk Taker as well as near max toughness. 80 Menace also isn't anything to sneeze at, even if it might be overshadowed by the likes of Cerberus.

I like both these guys, but I think if Jebediah is going to beat Sayeed Ali it should come after a bigger buildup.

• Like 1

I "missed" a show but caught up now. I really enjoyed it all and how you're utilising everyone. 

I think Tagg is going to steal the pin from Samoan Machine to create some drama.

Can't bet against Pinn just yet.

I took a gamble on Devil Dog a couple of shows ago but I can see he's not rising up the card! Buck has more mileage and storyline right now. 

I like Jebediah and want to see him win-- But Ali is taking this. 

1 hour ago, The Lloyd said:

Great show, Great Main Event... but Jedediah's story was the highlight for me. Hope he finds his girl ❤️(or she finds him). Really great stuff.

It would have been burning the angle too quick, but I halfway expected her to jump in and stop Ali from hitting him with the chain 😂

• Like 2

I'm not buying Youngman's vow to do it for Pittsburgh and Venus yet, but I don't think I'm meant to. I think it was a good time to mention her to keep her in mind though, and I wonder if she'll reappear before or during the match, or only once it's time for some resolution to the story.

Fun story for the opener with the challengers getting in one another's way, showing a potential route to victory for the champions. I loved the new team getting involved in the post-match, with "Jerry Pepper is there too" stealing the scene.

Tennessee William continues to be a fun character, and I enjoyed the direction of the promo as I expected him to make a case for walking away from his upcoming match, rather than talking big.

I really like Dumfrey Pinn's direction too as a way to build up his defence count before a serious challenger emerges, and I dug the formula shake-up of having him bleed in his own squash match.

The Xavi Ferrera segment was perfect, disrespecting everyone and not showing any deference to his partner. He made himself feel like he belongs in that match and among those top stars.

Your angles are always great but they were even stronger than usual on this episode and Jebediah's spotlight was probably my favourite. A character I didn't feel too familiar with becoming fully formed before his main event opportunity. Sayeed Ali showing him respect pre and post-match further legitimised him. I agreed with the way the match played out too with Ali retaining but having to work harder for it than usual, leaving that suspicion that if Jebediah gets the call again, it might end differently next time.

• Like 2

Screenshot 2024-09-17 191057.pngScreenshot 2024-09-17 191119.png

Prediction Scores

KyTeran: 4/4

Wrestling Machine: 3/4

HiPlus: 3/4

Michgcs: 3/4

Rhysrob: 3/4

Tiberious: 3/4

Satyr24: 3/4

Willsky: 2/4

Alpha2117: 3/4

So for some reason I missed out asking whether the rating would be higher or lower this time. For those mildly interested last episode was a 46, so a higher score this week. A main take out for me is yet again Devil Dog performed above expectations. Both of his only 2 matches are in the top 10 rating wise so far this year. Don't get me wrong I think Cowboy and Logan pulled those matches up, but it's still a good sign for him. The real test will be seeing how well he does in matches against average opponents. 

Prediction wise no real surprises for me. I expected most to go for Samoan Machine, it is the logical choice really. Especially if Devil May Care are going over at Highway To Hell. Perhaps they are not, time will tell. 

Small note as I'm adding up the running scores for predictions, last week I forgot to include the extra point for higher/lower when I posted the results. I've not gone back to edit it but I have included it in the total. Similarly I simply left @AboardTheArk out of the results even though he did predict! But I have kept track of the totals. To remind people, this was the 9th show and the contest is running for 10. I like the idea of Highway to Hell being the beginning, not the end, of a contest. So I'll post the current totals before the predictions for the next episode, likely tomorrow. Currently the person to beat is @KyTeran who has been remarkably consistent. 

Appreciate the predictions and comments. Glad to hear Jebediah's story has gone down well. It's interesting because I'd say 80% of the diary is planned fairly far in advance but often it's the stuff added last minute that gets a reaction.

• Like 5

Preview

The final episode of Steel City Smash leading into Highway To Hell pits two sets of opponents against each other in a star studied main event. Elsewhere on the show we see The Hangman make his singles debut, Cerberus unleash some anger prior to his upcoming Shackled Escape and two wrestlers both in need of a swing in momentum face off. 

Predictions

Logan Wolfsbaine and Buck Winchester vs Ernest Yougman and Xavi Ferrera

Cerberus vs ???

Dustin Deuce vs Teddy Powell 

The Hangman vs Rhino Umaga

Bonus Point: Will the score be higher or lower than last week (47)?

Bonus Point: Who will pin or submit who in the main event?

Decided not to post the score totals until the end... extra suspense and all. 

• Like 1

Predictions

Logan Wolfsbaine and Buck Winchester vs Ernest Youngman and Xavi Ferrera
-This is such a tough one because I thought Youngman got poached, but you wouldn't be able to hang on to him for so long if he did... and I expected Wolfsbaine to lose the big 1-1 blowoff over it...  but if that's not true then maybe Youngman wins here? So complicated!

Cerberus vs Antonio del Veccio

Bonus Point: Will the score be higher or lower than last week (47)? HIGHER

Bonus Point: Who will pin or submit who in the main event? Youngman gets Wolfsbaine

Cerberus vs ???

Bonus Point: Who will pin or submit who in the main event? Youngman submits the cowboy

Hangman is probably extremely less popular than Umaga but unless Jerry screws him... he has to get established right?

Really strong card actually

Logan Wolfsbaine and Buck Winchester vs Ernest Youngman and Xavi Ferrera

Cerberus vs ???

Bonus Point: Who will pin or submit who in the main event? Ferrera pins Buck

I mean, there's like 20 different ways that main event can end, and I like the way it's not signposted at all and I'm invested on what's going to happen.  I can't see both Deuce and Hangman upsetting their more experienced foes, but Rhino Umaga's backstage attitude makes it easier to job him out.

I can't see that you've lost EITHER Logan or Youngman... I think you'll just write one of them off TV for a bit. You've done well without Rich and Famous... but they're still under contract right?

Cerberus vs ???

I don't think Hangman will be 'over' enough to beat Rhino... then again, you'd want him to win, right? Maybe Pepper does something silly to cost him?!

Bonus Point: Will the score be higher or lower than last week (47)? HIGHER!!

Bonus Point: Who will pin or submit who in the main event? Logan will pin Xavi