The letter grade system adds a little mystery to the exact skills of a wrestler much like a real booker would experience. For example Gabe Sapolsky doesn't crunch numbers when deciding whether an Evans/Sydal match would be good. He looks at it as two guys who are above average highflyers, and lets them go at it. If anything the letter grades add a realistic challenge to the game. As far as the F- issue goes, that's all semantics and has very little to do wiht the arguement as Adam never said "I'm going to take the American Grading System and apply it to wrestler stats." He is using his [B]own[/B] rating system that has similarities to the American Letter Grade System. When's the last time you got an A* on an exam?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1996. Since then I've mastered the art of doing the bare minimum... * I'm a big fan of the ratings, and like having them refined slightly. I doubt I'll be going back to starting from scratch, but I like the idea of knowing even more precisely how my workers are developing. Incidentally, don't know if it was mentioned here or somewhere else on the forum, but I would love to see the colours of the grades tweaked slightly. - should be darkest, + brightest. I don't think it's quite like that at present, if I recall correctly.

1996. Since then I've mastered the art of doing the bare minimum... * I'm a big fan of the ratings, and like having them refined slightly. I doubt I'll be going back to starting from scratch, but I like the idea of knowing even more precisely how my workers are developing. Incidentally, don't know if it was mentioned here or somewhere else on the forum, but I would love to see the colours of the grades tweaked slightly. - should be darkest, + brightest. I don't think it's quite like that at present, if I recall correctly.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;158330]Kettley is absolutely correct. It was never meant to be a simulation of school grades. Common sense should have made that clear - if I was going to base it on a school grade system, whether North American or otherwise, why would it be incorrect? It's not like it's a huge task to look it up![/QUOTE] Grading is an emulation of the school system no matter what country. In this case, you are grading wrestling, therefore there will be comparisons. However, there is nowhere in the world where F+ or F- is used, but perhaps U or G or E as the above posters pointed out. With this in mind, as the above poster pointed out, there is nothing below failing. Wouldn't it have been easier to invent your own grading system or perhaps use a number system? Perhaps grading on a scale of 1 to 5, then fractions can come into play if that much detail is needed. For example, 1.375 or 1.5 From the TEW2005 help: "When you first start a storyline, the heat will automatically be zero, which will show as an F grade. This is because the storyline hasn't yet started, and so there is no fan interest because they haven't even heard of it yet." Perhaps eliminate the redundancy and write 0? I did not find any explanation for the grades elsewhere in the help, but clearly here 0 equals a grade of F. However, it does say in the grades that the higher the grade, the better. Will the change mean 0 equals F-? What will the other grades equal?

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;158330]Kettley is absolutely correct. It was never meant to be a simulation of school grades. Common sense should have made that clear - if I was going to base it on a school grade system, whether North American or otherwise, why would it be incorrect? It's not like it's a huge task to look it up![/QUOTE] Grading is an emulation of the school system no matter what country. In this case, you are grading wrestling, therefore there will be comparisons. However, there is nowhere in the world where F+ or F- is used, but perhaps U or G or E as the above posters pointed out. With this in mind, as the above poster pointed out, there is nothing below failing. Wouldn't it have been easier to invent your own grading system or perhaps use a number system? Perhaps grading on a scale of 1 to 5, then fractions can come into play if that much detail is needed. For example, 1.375 or 1.5 From the TEW2005 help: "When you first start a storyline, the heat will automatically be zero, which will show as an F grade. This is because the storyline hasn't yet started, and so there is no fan interest because they haven't even heard of it yet." Perhaps eliminate the redundancy and write 0? I did not find any explanation for the grades elsewhere in the help, but clearly here 0 equals a grade of F. However, it does say in the grades that the higher the grade, the better. Will the change mean 0 equals F-? What will the other grades equal?

[QUOTE]Grading is an emulation of the school system no matter what country. [/QUOTE] No, it's not. [QUOTE]However, there is nowhere in the world where F+ or F- is used, but perhaps U or G or E as the above posters pointed out. [/QUOTE] I know F+ and F- aren't used anywhere else, that's because it's a system I made up, as already discussed. I could use U. I could use G. I could use a picture of a cow if I really wanted to. I chose F+ and F-, because it fitted into what I was trying to achieve. [QUOTE]With this in mind, as the above poster pointed out, there is nothing below failing. [/QUOTE] "Failing" shouldn't even be a word we're discussing. This isn't an academic grading system, you can't "fail" at Brawling. You can be abysmal at it, you can be a totally untrained putz, you can have zero points, but you can't fail because the concept has no meaning. [QUOTE]Wouldn't it have been easier to invent your own grading system [/QUOTE] You earlier pointed out that I invented the terms F+ and F-, so clearly I already did invent my own grading system. [QUOTE]or perhaps use a number system? Perhaps grading on a scale of 1 to 5, then fractions can come into play if that much detail is needed. For example, 1.375 or 1.5[/QUOTE] I could do. I could have used numbers, letters, symbols, anything. I think letter grades work better. I don't see any appeal whatsoever in having things like "1.375" appear - I think that's an extremely badly thought out idea, as it's more complex than the numbers it's supposed to be hiding in the first place! [QUOTE]From the TEW2005 help: "When you first start a storyline, the heat will automatically be zero, which will show as an F grade. This is because the storyline hasn't yet started, and so there is no fan interest because they haven't even heard of it yet." Perhaps eliminate the redundancy and write 0?[/QUOTE] I could do, but why use grades throughout the game and then suddenly stick a zero in one section? Consistency should be aimed for. [QUOTE]I did not find any explanation for the grades elsewhere in the help, but clearly here 0 equals a grade of F. However, it does say in the grades that the higher the grade, the better. Will the change mean 0 equals F-? What will the other grades equal?[/QUOTE] The values of the grades were discussed in the journal. Obviously F- is the lowest grade, and so covers 0.0.

[QUOTE]Grading is an emulation of the school system no matter what country. [/QUOTE] No, it's not. [QUOTE]However, there is nowhere in the world where F+ or F- is used, but perhaps U or G or E as the above posters pointed out. [/QUOTE] I know F+ and F- aren't used anywhere else, that's because it's a system I made up, as already discussed. I could use U. I could use G. I could use a picture of a cow if I really wanted to. I chose F+ and F-, because it fitted into what I was trying to achieve. [QUOTE]With this in mind, as the above poster pointed out, there is nothing below failing. [/QUOTE] "Failing" shouldn't even be a word we're discussing. This isn't an academic grading system, you can't "fail" at Brawling. You can be abysmal at it, you can be a totally untrained putz, you can have zero points, but you can't fail because the concept has no meaning. [QUOTE]Wouldn't it have been easier to invent your own grading system [/QUOTE] You earlier pointed out that I invented the terms F+ and F-, so clearly I already did invent my own grading system. [QUOTE]or perhaps use a number system? Perhaps grading on a scale of 1 to 5, then fractions can come into play if that much detail is needed. For example, 1.375 or 1.5[/QUOTE] I could do. I could have used numbers, letters, symbols, anything. I think letter grades work better. I don't see any appeal whatsoever in having things like "1.375" appear - I think that's an extremely badly thought out idea, as it's more complex than the numbers it's supposed to be hiding in the first place! [QUOTE]From the TEW2005 help: "When you first start a storyline, the heat will automatically be zero, which will show as an F grade. This is because the storyline hasn't yet started, and so there is no fan interest because they haven't even heard of it yet." Perhaps eliminate the redundancy and write 0?[/QUOTE] I could do, but why use grades throughout the game and then suddenly stick a zero in one section? Consistency should be aimed for. [QUOTE]I did not find any explanation for the grades elsewhere in the help, but clearly here 0 equals a grade of F. However, it does say in the grades that the higher the grade, the better. Will the change mean 0 equals F-? What will the other grades equal?[/QUOTE] The values of the grades were discussed in the journal. Obviously F- is the lowest grade, and so covers 0.0.

I'm sorry but I find this thread very amusing!!! I like the symbol idea myself Adam Donkey which stand for ass which in return means an A(the best grade in in school so it has to be the best) Wouldnt that be so much easier? Alphabetical Order just doesnt make sense to me, too complicated;)

I'm sorry but I find this thread very amusing!!! I like the symbol idea myself Adam Donkey which stand for ass which in return means an A(the best grade in in school so it has to be the best) Wouldnt that be so much easier? Alphabetical Order just doesnt make sense to me, too complicated;)

There was alot of posts asking for something to show some more levels of progress at the F level, so people running smaller promotions could see something happen a bit faster then what is available now. There were also posts asking for something that just says "Best Ever", I believe stuff like an A++ etc. was brought up. This I believe was to help people that would get an A+, but actually have their popularity hurt, as A+ was anywhere from like 100% to 90% (thus, having a 91% popularity, you could actually have a rating of A+, and lose popularity). Adam added more letter grades at the low end, giving "us" what we wanted far as smaller grade progression so we could see it faster... 0 to 6% = F-, 7 to 12% = F, 13% to 18% equals F+....... This pretty much gave us what we wanted... Then as you get up to the higher grades, A+ = 96 to100%, which makes the A+ mean alot more then it did in 2005, something else that was asked for (instead of it covering 90% to 100%). Pretty much gave us (the community) what we wanted, even after saying there was nothing else he could really put in there. He has done several things we have asked for since being passed that stage. So weather or not your using letter's or numbers or symbols, really doesn't matter. You can, as was pointed out already, change your letter grade into whatever you want. Just replace the letter's in the game with whatever you want to replace it with. No matter how you play it, this feature enhances the game from exactly what people asked for. The ratings system was changed, and make to include faster steps (only taking around 6% to go up a grade), and the A+ means a much better match. Thanks for these changes, is all I can say really.

There was alot of posts asking for something to show some more levels of progress at the F level, so people running smaller promotions could see something happen a bit faster then what is available now. There were also posts asking for something that just says "Best Ever", I believe stuff like an A++ etc. was brought up. This I believe was to help people that would get an A+, but actually have their popularity hurt, as A+ was anywhere from like 100% to 90% (thus, having a 91% popularity, you could actually have a rating of A+, and lose popularity). Adam added more letter grades at the low end, giving "us" what we wanted far as smaller grade progression so we could see it faster... 0 to 6% = F-, 7 to 12% = F, 13% to 18% equals F+....... This pretty much gave us what we wanted... Then as you get up to the higher grades, A+ = 96 to100%, which makes the A+ mean alot more then it did in 2005, something else that was asked for (instead of it covering 90% to 100%). Pretty much gave us (the community) what we wanted, even after saying there was nothing else he could really put in there. He has done several things we have asked for since being passed that stage. So weather or not your using letter's or numbers or symbols, really doesn't matter. You can, as was pointed out already, change your letter grade into whatever you want. Just replace the letter's in the game with whatever you want to replace it with. No matter how you play it, this feature enhances the game from exactly what people asked for. The ratings system was changed, and make to include faster steps (only taking around 6% to go up a grade), and the A+ means a much better match. Thanks for these changes, is all I can say really.

Thing is, wouldn't it be easier on the fanbase, especially since I'd bet most of the players are from North America, if you used something more familiar to them? F- and F+ just look silly in concept, that's the biggest problem. Better yet, you could make it customizable . . .

Thing is, wouldn't it be easier on the fanbase, especially since I'd bet most of the players are from North America, if you used something more familiar to them? F- and F+ just look silly in concept, that's the biggest problem. Better yet, you could make it customizable . . .

It [B]IS[/B] customizable. 1. Backup your graphics folder. 2. Go into your graphics folder and put new pictures where the letters are. Making sure to name them correctly. grade_astar is A* so you save your #1 pic as grade_astar and when you get an A* you will see #1 instead.

It [B]IS[/B] customizable. 1. Backup your graphics folder. 2. Go into your graphics folder and put new pictures where the letters are. Making sure to name them correctly. grade_astar is A* so you save your #1 pic as grade_astar and when you get an A* you will see #1 instead.

[QUOTE=GDE71;159072]It [B]IS[/B] customizable. 1. Backup your graphics folder. 2. Go into your graphics folder and put new pictures where the letters are. Making sure to name them correctly. grade_astar is A* so you save your #1 pic as grade_astar and when you get an A* you will see #1 instead.[/QUOTE] ya but theres still grade text in some areas

[QUOTE=GDE71;159072]It [B]IS[/B] customizable. 1. Backup your graphics folder. 2. Go into your graphics folder and put new pictures where the letters are. Making sure to name them correctly. grade_astar is A* so you save your #1 pic as grade_astar and when you get an A* you will see #1 instead.[/QUOTE] ya but theres still grade text in some areas

Archived