Mark Cuban Does DaVE!

I thought I gave all my predictions. Oh well, I should redo them so that eventually I have everyone selected and then can't fail to be right about the winner! #2 [b]Big Cat Brandon[/b] vs #10 Bulldozer Brandon Smith - I'll just pick Brandon to win. Fine, fine. I'm going with the Big Cat simply due to more overness and I can't see Smith/Minnesota (even with their storyline) being played out in the tournament. Besides - Acid then Peak then BC Brandon gives a nice starting legitimacy for the Wrath of God. #3 Eric Tyler vs #6 [b]Joey Minnesota[/b] - if Cuban shoves his know-it-nothing nose anywhere it's right here. It gives Joey "Kobe" Minnesota a chance at a double championship reign (not that that's gonna happen.) Rick Law gives a big helping baton to Joey. #1 [b]Eddie Peak[/b] vs #8 Guide - Guide may get his shot, but it won't be here or now. #4 Acid vs #5 [B]Jack "The Wrath of God" Giedroyc[/B] - I tipped the Wrath of Giedroyc to win it all. Acid and go bump his cap against Emma while Sammy wonders why this isn't |Anderz| CZCW dynasty. *** I'd love to add some CCC 'pox, but I don't know what more I can offer besides the ITC article. Which isn't THAT old.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[B]#2 Big Cat Brandon[/B] vs #10 Bulldozer Brandon Smith I think BBS will probably take this, but as I've mentioned previous I hate him. You could have him walk out with an 'I love sebs' shirt and have his missus bake me cherry pie x 100 and I'd still want him to lose. Besides, I think Big Cat Brandon can be used more effectively to put over one of the other semi finalists. [B]#3 Eric Tyler[/B] vs #6 Joey Minnesota Tyler was my pick from the start, so I can't go against him now. Minnesota can take a loss here and still look like a million bucks, whilst keeping Tyler on track for a last hurrah as champion. [B]#1 Eddie Peak[/B] vs #8 Guide Guide has no pressing interest in this tournament, beyond sewing a few seeds of possible discontent with Scout. Peak winning... well, hardly needs reasoning. #4 Acid vs [B]#5 Jack "The Wrath of God" Giedroyc[/B] The suspicious part of me could suspect an Acid win going by the overness cap post (great stuff as always btw), but his storyline with Bach and Chase dictate otherwise. In fact, I suspect Bach could weigh somewhere and cost him the match, allowing Giedroyc to keep making strides up the card. Also, it's nice to see you used that Cuban render. ;)

[QUOTE=sebsplex;270641][B]#2 Big Cat Brandon[/B] vs #10 Bulldozer Brandon Smith I think BBS will probably take this, but as I've mentioned previous I hate him. [/quote] More reason for me to love sebs. Coz I loathe BBS too. [quote=sebsy]Also, it's nice to see you used that Cuban render. ;)[/QUOTE] My favourite part of that render... that you made the perfect decision by having him tuck in the DaVE jersey. Only a billionaire dorkus like Cuban would do that.

#2 Big Cat Brandon vs [B]#10 Bulldozer Brandon Smith[/B] [I]We have not had many big upsets so far. This is my pick for the big upset. Besides that, I want to see the Cat lose. I think he's the least interesting character remaining.[/I] [B]#3 Eric Tyler[/B] vs #6 Joey Minnesota [I]Joey Minnesota's beat a lot of people recently, but he has not fought anybody like Eric Tyler yet. Rick Law should factor in here somehow, but not enough...[/I] [B]#1 Eddie Peak [/B]vs #8 Guide [I]C'mon. I like Guide, but Eddie Peak's not going to lose to a career tag team guy. This is not Guide's breakout moment.... yet.[/I] #4 Acid vs [B]#5 Jack "The Wrath of God" Giedroyc[/B] [I]Giedroyc's star is still rising. Acid's seems to have hit a wall. [/I]

• 2 weeks later...
[CENTER][B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="5"]"There's Nothing Magically Delicious About Hell"[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/CENTER] Quickly, I need to put something to rest. Yes, DaVE is a federation that thrives (at least in its latest incarnation) on a certain amount of moral ambiguity and flexibility, a resistance of dichotomy, a big fat hug for the fact that people aren't really good or bad, just crazy and impulsive and riddled with big handfuls of neuroses. Yes, this is what DaVE is about. But life forces certain Manicheanisms on us and we find ourselves, despite all resistance and rationalization, tilting our thumbs in the direction of face or heel. We might be able to depart from this organizational structure as a matter of philosophy, but in the day we're forced to decide, one or the other. There are no tweeners - Ryland phased them out years ago. This is a mental hoopjump that the game engine can't facilitate, and so we commit, despite our better ideas and bigger visions, to one or the other. So for the purpose of dispelling the very ambiguity we've worked to cultivate, here's how the face/heel dynamic is assigned [i]within the game[/i]. That absolutely doesn't mean they should be so assigned by the reader. [B]TOP HEELS (in overness order): 1. Eddie Peak 2. Acid (was the face in the Tyler confrontation, but has been a heel ever since. If that isn't apparent from the booking, that's because "heel" doesn't work as a descriptor. He isn't "bad", necessarily, but he's totally evil) 3. Joey Minnesota 4. Fumihiro Ota 5. (HIDDEN - TURN PENDING) TOP FACES: 1. Jack "The Wrath of God" Giedroyc 2. Big Cat Brandon 3. Eric Tyler 4. Chris Caulfield 5. Art Reed[/b] Just looking at it, it strikes me again how silly it is to try and stack them up like this. But hey, who's got a choice? So more interesting - any bets on next month's BIG TURN? [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/DangerZone.png[/img] Live from McGraw Arena for a crowd of 4,421... [FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]DARK MATCH: #7 Chris Caulfield vs Kashmir Singh[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER] Result: Chris Caulfield d. Kashmir Singh [i]Jack's Notes: Kashmir gets put through his paces, but strangely enough Caulfield seems to be the one improving, as he takes advantage of this low pressure setting to display some new moves on the mat. With Reed properly crowned as the new king of [i]Vendetta![/i] and gradually catching some momentum from a more skillset appropriate push, Caulfield takes his place (alongside Shawn Gonzales, maybe) as the guy most deserving of some sort of a push who isn't receiving one. Caulfield isn't Art Reed, and from a skills perspective he never will be, but he still has something to offer DaVE and it's no one's fault but mine that I haven't figured out a place to put him.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: D+[/COLOR] [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]DARK MATCH: #11 Shawn Gonzales vs Cammy Vessey[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER] Result: Shawn Gonzales d. Cammy Vessey [i]Jack's Notes: Nothing much to say about this one, except that Vessey should really be pulling better ratings than Singh, if no one else. Gonzales looks bored throughout, which is precisely why I pulled him out of the main event in the first place. Gonzales is a backstage leader and is invaluable in terms of his ability to maintain lockerroom cohesion and serve as a role model for the young guys, but he mails in about every other match, and more or less sleptwalked his way through this one.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: D-[/COLOR] [CENTER][B]***MAIN SHOW***[/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EricTyler.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Guide.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Scout.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] The show opens with a meeting of the [b]School of Tradition[/b] in the backstage area. The three men sit in a tight huddle as [b]Eric Tyler[/b] whispers to the members of [b]New Wave[/b]. "Just remember, stick to the plan. Yeah, Peak is dangerous. Yeah, I wouldn't be happy to be goin' in the ring with that guy either. But you've done your homework - you know him better than he knows himself. Stick to your scouting and you can put that monster down." Guide nods tersely, his face determined under the layers of greasepaint. Scout speaks, his voice a monotone drawl faintly inflected with a distant accent. "What about you, boss?" Tyler laughs. "I'm sure Cuban's gonna find a way to make this interesting, but I ain't so worried about it. That guy ain't had one good idea yet. You got mine and I got yours, right?" Guide and Scout both grunt their agreement as the camera fades. [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C+[/COLOR] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EmmaChase.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] The show opens with a quick vignette from the announcers noting [b]Emma Chase's[/b] continued absence from the announcing table. (the camera pans and zooms on her characteristic pink, fur-lined headset. The announcers briefly rehash her kidnapping at the hands of [b]Acid[/b] and [b]The Cult of the Gray Dragon[/b] and speculate as to what horrors she may have been subjected during her assumed captivity. [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]#2 Big Cat Brandon vs #10 Bulldozer Brandon Smith[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [I]Winner faces either Jack Giedroyc or Acid at the PPV...[/I] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/BigCatBrandon_alt.jpg[/IMG] -vs- [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/BulldozerBrandonSmith.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Big Cat Brandon d. Bulldozer Brandon Smith w/a [b]Big Cat Pounce[/b] [i]Jack's Notes: The first match-up of the evening tracks very much along the lines of the Scout/Guide match of last week, though the two Brandons don't go as far as coming down the ramp together like [b]New Wave[/b] did. The two embrace heartily before the match starts, with Big Cat Brandon whispering some unknown words of encouragement in the younger man's ear. The match takes awhile to get going, as neither man seems to want to be the first to lay any real punishment on the other. Dozer, in particular, seems reluctant, and Big Cat Brandon is able to place him in a variety of generic looking holds and low impact hip tosses and arm drags. It isn't until Brandon hits Dozer with a reverse elbow off the ropes that the big man suddenly wakes up and gets mad, flushing a Midwestern beetred before charging the Big Cat, backing him into a turnbuckle and pounding on him mercilessly before slinging him into the opposite turnbuckle for a stiff looking avalanche. But Cinderella has already turned into a pumpkin. Dozer's in-ring style is fantastic and he's growing in popularity, but it's time to come home from the ball. Dozer just isn't over enough to support a PPV match-up, and I'm not willing to push him so heavily that he displaces a guy like Big Cat Brandon. Yes, Dozer's loss here might cost him a spot on the PPV further down the card, but this tournament has already been a showcase opportunity for him, and he's performing at a level way above his actual overness. In the month and a half since I picked him up, Smith has gone from a popularity of "E" all the way up to the cusp of "D+". That's an almost meteoric rise. But until he's in "C" range, I can't credibly let him compete for the Unified Title. Joey Minnesota had better watch out, though. Anyhow, the match is stiff but not particularly interesting, with both men hitting a wide range of powermoves but not evidencing a particularly wide moveset or talent for selling. That, combined with Dozer's comparatively low overness, makes putting this match first the smart booking decision. Big Cat Brandon gives Dozer a good rub before dodging a [b]Three Point Tackle[/b] to hit the [b]Big Cat Pounce[/b] for the win.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C-[/COLOR] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/MarkCuban-1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Cuban comes out to the ring to a massive wave of booing. His face is furious as he snatches up a mic and practically screams into it, spittle flying from his well coiffed face. He's outflanked on either side by each of the [b]McWade Brothers[/b], who have never appeared with Cuban before. The crowd takes a second to remember who the McWades are, then settles into a routine of booing. The McWades stand in identical posture on either side of Cuban and look unconcerned by the crowd's reaction. "TYLER! Get your *** out here NOW!" (the crowd explodes) [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EricTyler.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Tyler appears at the top of the ramp almost immediately and the crowd explodes. Cuban, practically shaking with anger, continues. "TYLER, I swore to you that you wouldn't win this tournament, and I meant it. There is no way I'm putting my Unified Title on a has-been like you. You will NEVER win this tournament, or this title. And tonight, you've got a special match against Joey Minnesota. A [b]lumberjack match![/b] And these here are my lumberjacks!" The two McWades smile and nod, staring Tyler down and shifting from one heavily booted foot to the other. Tyler laughs. "What, couldn't get [b]Rick Law[/b] tonight? Is he off doing his [i]other[/i] job?" The crowd boos at even the suggestion of TCW (though TCW is far more popular than SWF with DaVE fans). Tyler continues. "And what's with the McWade boys? Hell, those guys are old and bald and slow! JUST LIKE ME! We're practically twins! Of course, I ain't brick-stupid or married to my own brother, so I guess that's about as far as that goes." The McWades growl and start forward, and Tyler just laughs harder. "But do whatever you want, Cuban. You ain't had a good idea yet, and it's fun just watchin' you flop around up there in all them fancy clothes." Tyler charges the ring and Cuban shrieks and hides between the McWades. The McWades have a long stare down with Tyler as Joey Minnesota's music hits the ramp. [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]#3 Eric Tyler vs #6 Joey Minnesota[/COLOR][/SIZE] [B]LUMBERJACK MATCH[/B][/FONT] [i]Winner faces either Guide or Eddie Peak at the PPV...[/i] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EricTyler.jpg[/IMG] -vs- [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/JoeyMinnesota.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Eric Tyler d Joey Minnesota w/a [b]Weight of Tradition[/b] following interference from [b]The New Wave[/b]. [i]Jack's Notes: This match is interesting, as much as anything else, as a study in body types and how they can impact crowd reaction. Joey Minnesota has a body not too far removed from an old Marky Mark video - he's cut in a way that post-pubescent girls appreciate - buff in a way that is more about posing than about putting the hurt on people. His abs bulge out so much that you could draw a different member of the Simpsons on each one of them. He looks like a professional swimmer, and his moves are all new-school pseudo-lucha, with enziguris and splashes and odd leverage-based suplexes with exotic names. Minnesota has slowly cast himself as "the suplex guy" in DaVE, and he seems to know about two dozen variants on the basic concept. Tyler, on the other hand, HAS no abs. He has no individually distinguishable musculature. He's no more polished, and no more yielding, than a boulder in the ground. It's like watching a classical statue try to wrestle the rock he was cut from. And no question, DaVE fans love to root for the boulder, the guy who has had his nose broken seven times, over the 20-something who has had it all handed to him. The McWades make their presence felt early and often. After Minnesota sends Tyler over the side with a side suplex, the McWades are on him in a second, bearing down on him hard with fists and feet and slamming his face into the steel steps before rolling him back in to a grinning Minnesota. From the announcer's table, Cuban is nearly ecstatic, standing up in his chair and clapping. Minnesota immediately goes for the pin, and Tyler emphatically throws him off at the two count. The underdog for the vast majority of the match, Tyler is the recipient of a pin attempt on at least 10 occasions (with one coming after a very convincing brainbuster suplex), and always kicks out. Not too long ago, someone got the idea to bring a sign to a DaVE show reading [b]"Eric Tyler: The Man Who Won't Stay Down"[/b], and we picked up on it. The announcers have started saying it, and my only regret is that we didn't think of it earlier - it explains Tyler's appeal as a face almost perfectly, and describes his whole career... hell, his whole PERSONALITY... in one easy to remember sentence. When Tyler finally does pick up some steam and use a Samoan drop to spill Minnesota into the McWades, they merely help him up and guard him until he's shaken off the cobwebs while the arena rocks with boos. Minnesota gets himself into trouble in a hurry and nearly loses on a cradle piledriver, but Dean McWade trips Tyler before Minnesota can get up, and the two McWades reach through the ropes and pull Tyler balls-first back into the turnbuckle. That's their last contribution to the match, however, as [b]Scout[/b] and [b]Guide[/b] hit the ramp to explosive cheers and flatten the McWades from behind. When Tyler again reverses a belly-to-belly to send Minnesota back out, they do the same to him while Tyler laughs in Cuban's direction. A [b]Weight of Tradition[/b] later and Tyler picks up the three-count for the win.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C+[/COLOR] [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]#1 Eddie Peak vs #9 Guide[/COLOR][/SIZE] [B]NO DISQUALIFICATION MATCH[/B][/FONT] [i]Winner faces Eric Tyler at the PPV...[/i] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/EddiePeak.jpg[/IMG] -vs- [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Guide.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Eddie Peak d. Guide w/a [b]Widow's Peak[/b]. [i]Jack's Notes: Guide doesn't get much of a rest, though, as his music hits the speakers as he is heading up the ramp with [b]Scout[/b] and the triumphant [b]Eric Tyler[/b]. Tyler and Scout start to accompany Guide back down the ramp to the ring but Guide turns them away, wanting to face [b]Eddie Peak[/b] alone. As Guide stands solitary in the center of the ring with the jumbotron playing his usual rock-and-roll military montage, he looks focused but unintimidated. And then the lights go dark, and the bigscreen shows the fins thrashing and the blood spreading through dark water, and the Great White Shark arrives. As always, Peak is a nightmare vision, his teeth and eyes glowing in the blacklights that line the ramp during his entrance, flanked by the massive [b]Hell's Bouncer[/b] and even bigger [b]Nemesis[/b] - but Peak is the emphasis as he hits the ring, eyeing Guide with blatant hunger and not appearing as scattered or distracted as he has in recent matches. When the bell rings, Guide doesn't hesitate to lock up with the big man, who promptly hurls him into the turnbuckle and nearly flattens him with a running lariat. Guide comes in more carefully, faking a lock-up and punching Peak in the throat. Guide stays ahead of the psychopath for awhile through pure athleticism. Pound for pound, Guide is probably a better brawler than Peak, if only because his assaults are so targeted and strategic. Unlike 99% of brawlers, Guide doesn't ever chop the chest or punch the forehead... too inefficient. He punches the throat, the kidneys, kicks out the kneecap, hits you on the point of the chin. And for awhile, it works. But no one is surprised when Peak finally catches his fist mid-punch, smiles horribly, and levels him with a violent short-arm clothesline. Peak's offense is furious and unrelenting - backbreakers, inverted atomic drops, a one-handed neckbreaker that looks casual in its lethality. Guide rallies a few times and even manages to take control with an axe kick that catches a fully upright Peak between the eyes and drops him, fully showcasing Guide's unique combination of brawling skill and leaping ability. Guide follows that up with a drop toe hold and a leg lariat that has the crowd hoping, but when he goes for the [b]Guided Missile[/b], Peak hooks him under the arms and the crowd moans, knowing what's coming. [b]The Widow's Peak[/b] is as cringe-inducing as ever, but all the more so because of how Peak reacts when his repeated headbutts finally split Guide open. Peak goes crazy, mouth wide open, slamming his forehead into Guide again and again and again until Guide has gone totally limp. The crowd explodes as Scout tears down the ramp at top speed, ducking a Hell's Bouncer clothesline and proceeding into the ring to smash Peak with a fullspeed lariat. Peak barely budges. Scout hits the ropes and tries again, but Peak turns, his face a dark crimson mask of blood, and smashes Scout into the mat with a standing spinebuster. Peak starts to pull Guide back to his feet when Eric Tyler hits the ramp and Nemesis shouts a warning. Peak smiles through the gore, his teeth still prominent, and casually kicks Guide out of the ring. Tyler and Peak stare at eachother through the ringropes as Peak licks the blood from his lips. Vaess: Oh my god, Tyler has Peak in the next round! Eric Tyler is going up against that monster at the PPV! Cuban: (laughs hysterically)[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: C+[/COLOR] [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/JackGiedroyc.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [b]Jack "The Wrath of God" Giedroyc[/b] comes out next, to the biggest pop of the night (despite a somewhat smaller push and fewer appearances than Tyler, Giedroyc remains the most popular face in DaVE). His trademark helmet lays low on his brow as he raises his hand to silence the crowd. "[b]Acid[/b], I am displeased with you. And that means He is displeased with you. We are displeased together. He and I, We do not tolerate [b]IDOLATORS[/b]. The long road of history is littered with the smashed remains of a thousand false idols: The golden calf, the black sabbath, the green clovers, the purple diamonds, the yellow stars, the red balloons and the blue horseshoes... ALL OF THEM IDOLS! ALL OF THEM FALSE!" [b]"THERE IS NOTHING MAGICALLY DELICIOUS ABOUT HELL, IDOLATOR!"[/b] "There is only one solution, I am afraid." "[b]I need to meet this Gray Dragon.[/b] If he is, in fact, a Dragon, I must put on my iron shirt and cast him from of the earth, as Dragons are certainly not one of His ordained creatures or creations. If he is not a Dragon, still yet I will smite ass with boot. For this is His Will, as I am His Wrath." (smoke starts to fill the ring) (coughing) "He does not approve of Smoking either." (Giedroyc drops the mic) [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B[/COLOR] [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]#4 Acid vs #5 Jack "The Wrath of God" Giedroyc[/COLOR][/SIZE] [B]NO DISQUALIFICATION MATCH[/B][/FONT] [i]Winner faces Big Cat Brandon at the PPV...[/i] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/Acid.jpg[/IMG] -vs- [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/JackGiedroyc.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Result: Jack Giedroyc d. Acid following interference from [b]Adrenaline Rush[/b]. [i]Jack's Notes: Match starts with a bang and stays fast, with Acid repeatedly taking to the air and Giedroyc using his spazzy, fast-paced ground attack (bulldogs, neckbreakers, huge clotheslines). As always, Giedroyc fights like a man literally possessed while Acid is robotic in his precision. The definite highlight of the match comes when Ota takes to the apron with his blowgun in hand. Giedroyc has Acid rocking with a series of right hands but has his back to Ota, and the crowd screams a warning as Ota puffs out his cheek and lets loose with a dart - but without turning around at all, Giedroyc throws himself to the ground and the dart sails harmlessly over his head, narrowly missing Acid's shoulder as he slumps on the apron. Giedroyc bounces back up and nails a stunned Ota with a back elbow, then points at the sky and says "See? God did that!" Of course, while he's doing so, Acid hooks him for a backslide and almost pins him. The match is great because it's so relentless, and qualitatively, it's some of the best wrestling has ever seen even though it isn't "hardcore". This match is a one-off, but as a booker I can see the seeds of a really excellent feud between these two at some point in the future, and with the idolatry angle it would pretty much write itself. Because this is a non-disqualification match, Eagle and Ota interfere constantly, and even though Giedroyc has some stretches of almost savage physical domination over his smaller opponent, he can't simultaneously defend and offend, and a Black Eagle springboard dropkick to the small of the back is enough to turn the match decisively in Acid's favor (while the announcers scream about the unfairness of it all, though Cuban is much less incensed than Vaess, mocking Giedroyc for not being "hardcore" enough to handle a 3-on-1. Acid catches a reeling Giedroyc with a flipping neckbreaker and takes to the top for the [b]Acid Rain Bomb[/b]. He perches there, head down, arms crossed, while the crowd showers him with boos. Suddenly the crowd pops as [b]Sammy Bach[/b] and [b]Teddy Powell[/b] run down the ramp. Eagle moves to intersect but Powell neatly bisects him with a spear and Bach continues down to the turnbuckle, showing his athletecism as he elevates and hooks Acid for a sick turnbuckle rana that leaves Acid nearly unconscious. Ota dives at Bach and the two roll around the apron together while Powell continues his assault on Black Eagle. Meanwhile, in the center of the ring, a woozy Giedroyc shakes off the cobwebs and rolls over to make the pin on Acid. After the threecount, Giedroyc stands up, clearly confused, and after looking down at his striken opponent, excitedly points to the sky again and yells "For His power is great and His Wrath is terrible!" Behind him, Acid sits up and the crowd screams. Giedroyc continues to jump around in the ring as Acid nears him, but Acid walks right by, not even glancing at Giedroyc as he walks over to Bach, who has the advantage over a reeling Ota. Acid approaches, ****s his head, and suddenly snaps it forward. The torrent of steam that emerges from the mouthpiece of his mask is immense enough to completely engulf the face of Bach, who screams and immediately drops, clawing at his eyes. As the show closes, Acid and the rest of the Cult of the Gray Dragon are simply walking away, uninterested in continuing the assault as Bach claws ineffectually after them, tears leaking from his blasted eyes.[/i] [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rating: B-[/COLOR] [FONT="Arial Black"]Show Rating: B- [/FONT]

Another good show. Virtually entirely centered around the tournament, which at this stage it should be. I thought this round of matches (outside of perhaps BBS vs BCB) were a fairly predictable fare, which isn't a negative statement, it's just a fact with these sort of things. Peak vs Tyler will be the match that I suspect really decides who's taking the whole thing home.

Another fine show if I must say so myself. Giedroyc's Wrath of God character, is certainly unique and this bit had me in stitches.... [B]"I need to meet this Gray Dragon. If he is, in fact, a Dragon, I must put on my iron shirt and cast him from of the earth, as Dragons are certainly not one of His ordained creatures or creations. If he is not a Dragon, still yet I will smite ass with boot. For this is His Will, as I am His Wrath."[/B] [B](smoke starts to fill the ring)[/B] [B](coughing) "He does not approve of Smoking either."[/B] You have the tournament matches in place for the PPV, all you need to do is build up the rest of the card. I'm guessing that there will be some kind of ACID- Bach showdown and title defences for Minnesota (Brass Knuckles) and New Wave (Tag Team).

So, like always, fantastic show, but I had a question about your rankings. Why is Tyler only 3rd? I know Giedroyc is hysterical, and deserves to be by the top, but Brandon? He's probably gotten the least attention from you character-wise, and he's playing 3rd fiddle in the main event behind Tyler and Peak, who I'm already antsy over seeing. Unless, of course, you're just going off of in game overness, which makes sense, cause that could explain Caufield and Reed being in the top 5, despite Caufield being in dark matches while you find something for him. As for the turn, I'm going out on a limb and saying a face that's turning heel? Umm, I'm gonna go with Brandon Smith, since all the other big name faces are accounted on the list.

Good question. They're absolutely in computer overness order. One of my biggest frustrations is that Tyler's overness isn't higher - it floats between C+ and B- and is usually quicker to go down than to go up. He's often the closest main eventer to the bottom, and he's [i]never[/i] been ahead of Big Cat Brandon, who I can't seem to find an interesting character for (and unlike with some of the others, I don't beat myself up for it. Brandon IS boring). BCB is consistently over and puts on pretty good matches. He's just uninspiring... but all of the little computer people love him a hell of a lot more than we do. Maybe this says something else about the limitations of dynasty writing. My computerized DaVE fans love Fumihiro Ota and Big Cat Brandon. The forum readers seem to prefer Acid and Giedroyc. At least there's Peak. Everyone's on exactly the same page about Peak. He's far away my most over worker, and I think that makes sense both in the game and in the forum. But Brandon? I just can't write him on a level consistent with his in-game reputation.

• 1 month later...
[CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="5"][B]"Men of Faith and Men of None..."[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] [I]Moving is a raw b***h, all those boxes layin' around and you can't remember which one you put yer drawers in, so you're all rollin around town, shopping for **** like mops and spatulas, walkin through Walmart or wherever and [b]goin' commando[/b], wishing you hadn't gotten rid of so many perfectly viable girlfriends because, even though it's sexist to say, all this domestic junk was a lot easier with them around. Whatever. Spatula or no, undies or no, Mark Cuban Does DaVE! is back on the clock.[/I][/CENTER] This actually happened a few days ago, but I haven't wanted to put pen to paper on it. [b]James "Big Cat" Brandon's[/b] contract negotiation has been circled on my calendar for months, but I've had too much else on my mind. Probably arrogant of me, to think that I'd locked him up and squared him away last month ago when we had that heart to heart after he dropped a title match to [b]Eddie Peak[/b] and I'd told him that it would only be a matter of time before he made a title run. I don't know if I'd meant it then - hell, maybe I did, back before Giedroyc was so good and Eric Tyler rediscovered his youth and vigor - maybe back then Brandon really [i]did[/i] look like an A-Lister. I certainly talked to him like one. But then I forgot about it, didn't pay any attention to it at all, assumed that Brandon would either stay with DaVE or leave quietly to take a midcard slot with TCW or SWF. It wouldn't ruffle me either way. I hadn't, however, expected this. [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/BigCatBrandon_alt.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] I sat in my office, waiting for Brandon to arrive. He was punctual arriving exactly on time, but the moment he entered my office, I knew something was up. Brandon had appeared for his last meeting with me in a Longhorns jersey and a face full of stubble, and we'd settled things with a handshake and a beer. This time, he looked awkward in an immaculately tailored suit, and for the first time in all the years I'd known him, his face was bare of stubble, with the sort of slick, chemical glossiness that comes from the liberal application of skincare products by someone who isn't doing it for the first time. My heart sank when I saw the much smaller man who followed him in. [b]Arn Tellem[/b] was known as a [b]"SuperAgent"[/b]. Primarily operating in the NBA, he represented over 30 NBA players, including 7 All-Stars. He was known as a shrewd operator who had been the architect of several recent bloated contract extensions, including [b]Antawn Jamison, Ben Wallace[/b] and [b]Pau Gasol[/b]. In 2004, he'd moved into wrestling, quickly acquiring a portfolio of A-List talent in TCW and SWF including [b]Liberty, Runaway Train, Wolf Hawkins, The Bumfholes[/b] and [b]Aaron Andrews[/b]. So far, he'd left us alone, confining himself to the majors. That era, it seemed, was over. And I was in way over my head. I shot Brandon the dirtiest look I could muster when he walked in, but he missed it. Arn extended his hand and I shook it. There was no small talk. James tried to say something to me, but Arn raised his hand to silence him. There was no [b]Nemesis[/b] to back me up, and suddenly I found myself wishing (perhaps for the first time) that [b]Mark Cuban[/b] was here with his bluster and business smarts, but he was tending to his other business concerns. "Okay, Jack, here's the bottom line. You and I both know that my client is a national level talent, with potential to become an international level talent. Against my advice, James has expressed to me that he wants to stay with DaVE, and has insisted that you be given the right to extend him an offer before he considers offers from TCW and SWF." (I shot James a warmer look and he half smiled, clearly embarrassed and unsure precisely what was happening) Tellem continued. "James also expressed to me that you had a conversation with him last month in which you indicated to him that you considered him a main event talent within your federation and you intended to give him a world title championship run." (I shot James another, considerably cooler look. He was staring at his feet and fidgeting, clearly uncomfortable.) Tellem smiled as I frowned. "I am aware that you just extended your former world champion, [b]Eddie Peak[/b]. Because you've indicated that you consider my client to be world champion material as well, I think an offer should reflect Mr. Peak's market value, and formally codify your intention to give my client a world championship title run." (I smiled to myself, only slightly. In one very deft move, Mr. Tellem had both forced me to promise Brandon a world title run and substituted a consideration of Brandon's actual market value for Eddie Peak's actual market value. Tellem and I both knew that Brandon wasn't as talented as Peak, but he'd managed to communicate this to me and force my hand despite of it without tipping off his client, still staring uncomfortably at his feet.) (I sighed. There was nothing else to do.) "Okay." I scribbled a dollar amount in the blank contract form and slid it across the table. "We made Peak an offer for $2,575 per appearance. I will offer Brandon the same, with the added stipulation that he be given a title shot." Brandon whistled and muttered "wow!" under his breath, and reached for the pen. "We refuse." Tellem said smartly, and Brandon froze, obviously confused. He opened his mouth to protest and Tellem raised a hand without looking at him, cutting him off. Brandon stayed there, half leaned over the desk, pen in hand, mouth hanging open. Tellem smiled again. "We said Eddie Peak's [I]market value.[/I] You know as well as I do that Peak, while a fantastic wrestler, is a terrible negotiator. I am of the opinion that you signed him beneath his market value. Good for you. Fortunately, my client has better representation." I could see spots dancing in front of my eyes. I struggled to maintain my temper as I forced a smile. "What can I offer you, then?" Tellem held his smile. "Three thousand per appearance, plus a 15% merchandise share." I exhaled hard. "I can't do that. We simply can't afford it, and that would make Brandon our highest paid worker by far, which - " Tellem interrupted. "Which will make perfect sense when he's Unified Champion." My mind cast about desperately for an escape. "I'll need to run a signing of this magnitude by Mr. Cuban. I'm sure you understand that I'll - " Tellem interrupted again. "Jack, as a measure of my client's respect for you, we have come to you with the right of first refusal, but at the expiration of that right, I have told TCW to contact me with a tender offer. That right expires at 2 PM Eastern Time. In (he glanced at his watch) approximately four minutes." I stared hard at the wood of my desk, but it gave me no answers. I exhaled again, feeling myself slump in my chair, suddenly thinking about nothing but whiskey. "$2,750 per. With 10% on merchandise." Arn smiled, extending a hand. "$2,800 it is." Brandon's eyes were apologetic as he signed on the line.

Great to see you back with more DaVE goodness, Pox. Another nice resigning write up. Not as profound and memorable as Peak's of course, but I still loved the idea of Brandon bringing in his own agent... hints nicely towards DaVE being not [I]too[/I] far from the big time, but also the ever present threat of TCW or SWF (TCW especially) raiding your talent, hanging over you.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I just ran the PPV and my jaw dropped at the ratings for one of the matches... let's just say DaVE is about to hit an all-time single-match record. I've got to get through [I]Vendetta![/I] and the PPV line-up preview first, but I cannot wait to type this thing up. And Caulfield, the Peak resigning is back on Page 20. Let me know if you like it.

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Monkeypox;294040]Thanks for the kind words, guys. I just ran the PPV and my jaw dropped at the ratings for one of the matches... let's just say DaVE is about to hit an all-time single-match record. I've got to get through [I]Vendetta![/I] and the PPV line-up preview first, but I cannot wait to type this thing up. And Caulfield, the Peak resigning is back on Page 20. Let me know if you like it.[/QUOTE] Really missing this. Got a little excited the other day when I caught you online and checked and you were replying to this thread. Then you were gone and no post? :confused: :( :(

Truth of it is, I'm just really low on time and I only write on weekends, so if I don't get a post up on Saturday or Sunday, it's really hard to get one up during the week (if it's a show). Things have been hectic lately, so there hasn't been anything going up. Dynasty isn't dead, just REALLY slow. Of course, the only reason I'm around to write this is because I'm finishing up the next show. It'll go up tomorrow. [I]Promise.[/I]

Archived