Mark Cuban Does DaVE!

[QUOTE]Rating: A!!! BEST RATING EVER! Holy ****! Rick Law justifies what we've been paying him with this one, and new Unified Champion Eric Tyler opens his reign with the highest rated match of the Mark Cuban era! Show Rating: B+[/QUOTE] Nice :D Congrats. After all that work and buildup, i am glad to see the show and the main event get grades they deserve. ;)

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great show 'pox. Nice to see such an effective use of a cameo appearance, although Rick Law really needs an alternative render after this diary. Something of him without the hate, maybe some 5 O'Clock shadow and a black tactical vest. (aka - Bossman during the Corporation) Great addition of Law to the Main Event, really added that unexpected air to the event that DaVE made its reputation on. So I was off by... one? I'll take that. And be happy to be wrong as I think it's fantastic you're giving Tyler a fitting swan song send off. One last run of crimson nostalgia. That was a flat out fantastic event... as EVERYONE involved in it gained a rub of one form or another. [b]Eddie Peak[/b] - the unstoppable, insatiable predator [b]Big Cat Brandon[/b] - upping his game on the biggest stage in DaVE's recent memory and showing he (almost) deserves that new contract [b]Jack Giedroyc[/b] - cinching his position in the main event for the forseeable future [b]Rick Law[/b] - earning more credibility from his foray in DaVE than any of his efforts previously [b]Mark Cuban[/b] - embrace your inner heel Mark. Embrace it! [b]Eric Tyler[/b] - after the blood, the gore, the hurt, the pain... standing tall at the end of the Final Showdown.

Just posting to chime in. This is my favorite diary here, and your writing has inspired me to try a hand at my own. The separate storylines (those for in the ring action and the more 'meta' characterizations and what not) really merged in this card to a great and entertaining result. How you maintain this level of detail will be exciting to see.

Yeah dude, not to make less of some of the other work on these boards, but your writing is great. You set the bar. Both in storytelling and in actual mechanics, this is great stuff. Keep it coming. Might have to have another try at a diary myself.:D

Two things in this out of character post: 1. Thanks. Really. I busted my literary a*s putting that last post together. It really pays off when people appreciate it, and it means a lot to me that you guys are leaving these comments. I'll keep it coming. Dynasties are a tremendous amount of work, and they have the bizarre effect of actually keeping you from playing the game, since you're spending all of your time writing up what you did and not actually doing it. It's a perversity that only makes sense if you can get into the dynasty. And I really like this one. It's way markish of me to say, but at this point I care a lot more about Eddie Peak than I ever have about real wrestling. But I also care about what Tom Gilmore does in Tigerkinney's fed, or whether D-Mack beats Ota. C-Verse has completely replaced real wrestling, which I almost never watch. Strange. All that having been said, 2. [B]I am so ****ing glad this tournament is over.[/B] I've had no flexibility in forever. Man, this was a LOT of work and writing, just to create a situation where it was plausible to get the belt off of Eddie Peak in a way that made sense and was believeable with his (still mostly invincible in a straight fight) character. I can't wait to get back to just taking things a show at a time and not having to worry about who is facing who in the next round. But thanks for sticking with this thing, despite my frequent and unexplained absences for work or poontang or straight laziness and distraction. I've got big plans for the next month. (end OoC)

Is it a problem that I actually marked out a little for Big Cat Brandon? Could be the fact that he's the highest-ranking big strength-oriented brawler after Peak, and now Peak's going through all this stuff. Could be the fact that I now have an entrance theme to go with the face. Could be something else. But I can just about see the guy in my mind now, and I can just about understand why people [I]might[/I] like him. He could be really poised and serious -- a guy who knows what is up and works hard to win an honest fight. Yeah, I can deal with that. And granted, now that the tournament's over, there's going to be a lot less fighting and a lot more talking, and guys like Tyler and Giedroyc are going to have their day again. (Though I guess they also had their day here, given that they did win...) But at least I (as the reader) have some sense of how Brandon fits into the DAVE universe -- he's not "that other guy who's around for some reason" any more. Oh, who am I kidding? [I]That other guy who's around for some reason[/I] is and always has been Chris Caulfield. (Never mind that both Brandon and Caulfield are (in many ways) a lot more DAVE than several characters who fit more easily into my understanding of the story...) But Peak... the post-match carnage in the semifinal was pretty much completely awesome. And I loved the role of Rick Law. Now [I]there[/I] is a guy who is from another world, a guy who indubitably doesn't fit in -- some big dude dressed up like a cop. And here he is, interjecting himself into things and trying to restore order as though he were really involved in law enforcement... but this is DAVE. DAVE doesn't [I]want[/I] order, and DAVE is going to tell him that he is not a real cop, and DAVE is going to do so by means of Eddie Peak. (Which, let's face it, is a pretty effective means.) And then fast forward to the finals, where Giedroyc and Tyler almost put their match on hold to repel the guy, like some kind of human white blood vessels fighting off a disease... God, I am [I]so[/I] rambling right now. My point is, brilliant as usual, if not more so.

Brandon is that guy every promotion needs; over, competent in at least one area the company likes to showcase, not good enough on the stick to have his own feuds built often, with a hardworking will to win persona - so that when you need a quick and simple to book upper midcard feud, he's available to plug into it while the talkers carry the rest of the card. He gets his own fanbase and just plugs in where needed, rolling along doing his own thing.

Pox, I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying writing this diary. When it starts to become a chore it just isn't worth it and as much as I hate some of your extended absences, I'd rather that then you getting burnt out and quitting this diary altogether. And while it may be strange, I'm with you -- I care far more about Eddie Peak and Eric Tyler (and even Cammy Vessey) than I do about real life wrestling. Your shows are far more entertaining than anything WWE or TNA are putting on. By the way, speaking of Cammy -- when is he going to face Eddie in the ring? It would be so much fun seeing Vessey look like a scene out of [I]Carrie[/I]. Please?

[CENTER][B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]"Afterglow"[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/CENTER] In the locker room it really did feel like the end of the playoffs. There was no champagne, no trophies, no reporters... just a locker room that wouldn't have looked out of place at the YMCA filled with huge, sweaty guys slapping eachother on the back and yelling their lungs out. Everyone knew that Final Showdown had knocked the ball right out of the ****ing park. The crowd was huge, the main event was stellar, and the press and publicity was going to pay off all of this hard work. And putting the belt on [B]Eric Tyler[/B] was universally popular. There wasn't a guy in the locker room who wasn't happy for him, and as soon as he saw me, I was up in the air, feet off the ground, in a sweaty, stinky, scratchy, stubbly Eric Tyler manhug. He set me down. "You, Jack, are the best f***ing booker in the history of f***ing wrestling." A cheer went up in the locker room. Red faced, I quickly glanced around the room. Nemesis, smiling and nodding. Eddie Peak, laughing with a mouthful of summer sausage. Sammy Bach, even, smiled and clapped politely, then went back to rehashing his match with Acid. [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/MarkCuban-1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] When Cuban entered the locker room, the guys started cheering even louder. It was an exaggerated cheer and I knew well enough to doubt its sincerity, but Cuban took to the moment, bounding up on a bench. "THIS IS OUR [b]MOMENT[/b]!" He yelled. "We have taken wrestling [b]BACK[/b], and we're gonna take it [b]ALL THE WAY BACK[/b]. Over the last three months, we have [b]re-established hardcore[/b], made it [b]modern[/b], [b]streamlined[/b], [b]dynamic[/b], [b]PRO-ACTIVE[/b]. We have challenged old [b]paradigms[/b] while paying tribute to our own inherited [b]normativity. We have identified and exploited our [b]market niche[/b], and the future is growth! [b]GROWTH![/b]" The guys, who have been nodding and shrugging half-heartedly throughout this give awkward applause, with three exceptions. Jack Giedroyc, who apparently followed the entire speech, claps sincerely. Eric Tyler, for whatever reason, claps overenthusiastically, stamping his feet on the ground and shouting "Hell yes, brother!" while the other guys glance at him out of the corner of their eyes and try to hide their smiles. Eddie Peak, for his part, spends the speech quietly trying to shove as many pieces of beef jerky into his mouth as he can. Mark basks in his moment a second longer, then shouts over his shoulder "BRING IN THE KEG!" The guys give their most enthusiastic cheer of the night, and the party is on. And it's a good party. I spend it flitting from person to person, checking in, shaking hands, trying to build connections while things are good, spending a little extra attention on [B]Art Reed[/B] and [B]Joey Minnesota[/B], stepping carefully around the growing pools of spilled beer and struggling against the increasing humidity of being in a locker room with twenty-plus drunk heavyweight wrestlers. DaVE is hardcore, sure, but it's also hard-drinking, and I'm right there with them. Fortyfive minutes in, I'm sweating and dying for a cigarette, so with smiles and nods, I slip out the door and find an exterior balcony. The cigarette and cold night air cut through the crappy cheap beer buzz, and I hear the door open again behind me. I'm not surprised to see [B]Jack Giedroyc[/B] follow me out on the balcony. Among the wrestlers, Jack Giedroyc and [B]Acid[/B] are my best "friends", with Jack enough so that I think when the time comes, he will probably stay with DaVE. That's the way Jack is. [CENTER][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/JackGiedroyc.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Jack is nothing like Joey Minnesota or Eric Tyler or even Eddie Peak in terms of how much his in-ring character corresponds to his actual personality. Joey Minnesota IS arrogant and distant. Eric Tyler IS sarcastic and manipulative. Eddie Peak IS really strange. But Giedroyc has the mental sophistication necessary to play a crazy person without being crazy, and seeing him freshly showered with his hair tied back, he looks less like a wrestler and more like an athletic grad-student. Giedroyc looks at my cigarette and clucks his tongue, his British accent much stronger when he's not on the mic. I chuckle and look over at him. "How you holding up, man?" Giedroyc leans against the railing and rubs his triceps, wincing. "Truth be told, I feel terrible. Shredded. Beat to hell and dragged right back." He smiles, his eyes twinkling. "But it was worth it, riiiight? It is, of course, just as rosy as you and the internutter in the fancy shirt keep saying it is?" I smiled, shaking my head. "That was a very good PPV, yes. But we're still losing money. We've put our hopes on an over-the-hill, injury prone egomaniac who doesn't like our owner. We didn't even post a tag match. Acid is hitting his ceiling. We overpaid Brandon. And an injury to... well... [I]you[/I], or Peak, would pretty much kill our momentum." Giedroyc straightens up, rubbing his lower back and grimacing again. "If that's what you're worried about, you've got an odd way of showing it. Better take it easy on me for a bit, boss." I stare straight ahead, squinting at distant lights. "I can't do that." Giedroyc smiles as he re-enters the arena, laughing over his shoulder. "I knew that too."

Pox, Great write up as usual. One thing I've been meaning to ask you (and I apolgoize if this has been asked before, and my feeble, fatigued memory has simply forgotten). Why Mark Cuban? Was it the wealth? The fugliness? The tremendous, jacked physique? :p Just curious. Here's hoping you continue to share your writing talent with us. Latah.

Well this is a bit late, but compliments and praise are usually well-received whenever they arrive. Plus, I wanted to do you the justice of reading through the entire show. I backed Eric Tyler from the get go, so I'm delighted that he came out of this gruelling tournament with the gold. The addition of Rick Law only added another cherry onto an already tastey cake and established Cuban's desire to do almost anything to keep the gold away from Tyler or an unappealing figurehead like Giedroyc. The main event itself read like an A grade match, so it's nice to see TEW rewarding you with that grade in kind. The entire show was just a great culmination of the many before it and everything from Acid/Bach to the main event delivered or did so in spades. Whilst I enjoyed the ride though, I'm keen to see what you do with DaVE now that the restrictions of the Play-Offs have been removed. As you highlighted in the last piece, this is basically Tyler's last hurrah and whilst there's a ton of mileage left in him, his ongoing issues with Cuban, etc... somewhere down the line you're going to have to groom a replacement for when Tyler hobbles off into the sunset, probably still scarred and bleeding. Good job my friend, good job indeed.

Three quick OoC responses before I get back to the wrestling: 1. [b]Actarus[/b]: I picked Mark Cuban because this is something I can actually see him doing. He's a billionaire, he's a media junkie and he's desperate to be a celebrity and not just a rich guy, even though he has absolutely no celebrity skillset. He came out with a totally crap reality TV show knock off of The Apprentice that failed almost immediately despite him massively overfunding it - that was about the time I realized that in a not at all farfetched world, he might try to buy a company like DaVE. I'm not at all a Mark Cuban fan. 2. [b]Chris Caulfield[/b]: Thanks, man. I gotta admit, I love when you comment because the header reads [i]Chris Caulfield: Superstar[/i]. And THAT is awesome. 3. [b]Sebsplex[/b]: I'm glad to see the belt on Tyler too, though all things considered I would've been better off, from a pure ratings perspective, putting it on Giedroyc. But there's time for that later. You're right, this is it for Tyler. I finally added the 1.4 patch (known as the mass retirement patch), which could be a very significant decision in an old geezer federation like mine. But even if Tyler sticks around, this is almost certainly it for him. Thanks for the praise. Back to the action, though any actual [I]wrestling[/I] is still a few posts off. Lots to do. I'm glad you guys like the administrative posts, because there are a lot of them coming.

[CENTER][B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]"Downsizing By Any Other Name..."[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/CENTER] The honeymoon, of course, couldn't last. The very next day, Cuban sent me a memo I'd been half expecting but still slightly dreading. In the build-up to the monthly meeting, Cuban had decided that with DaVE riding something of a high in terms of national press and internal morale, now was the best time to [b]make some cuts to the roster[/b]. I didn't disagree with Cuban that we were packing along some dead weight, but I never like cutting guys, both because I try not to think of myself as that sort of booker and because roster morale, though currently strong, is always volatile in the pressure-cooker environment of a wrestling federation. Cuban had asked me to come up with a list of people to consider terminating for the next meeting in a few days, as well as a presentation of the list of prospects that I'd been accumulating over the last few months. The second was the harder part - Cuban had me out looking for "diamonds in the rough", or "the Next Dirk Nowitzki", as he liked to call them, but he wouldn't let me consider anyone who was already employed, so I was essentially limited to wash-outs or prospects so unknown that even MAW or RIPW hadn't tried to pick them up yet. This list would have a little of both. [CENTER][B][U][FONT="Georgia"]THE POTENTIAL LOSERS[/FONT][/U][/B] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/VinTanner.jpg[/IMG] [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][u][SIZE="5"]Vin Tanner[/FONT][/u][/SIZE] Salary: $1,800 PPA Expires: 221 days Position: Midcard Match History: 9-1-8 Best Match: C in a loss to Eric Tyler on Week 1 March Vendetta! Average Match: D+[/CENTER] Analysis: 39 years old, but still relatively over, Vin Tanner is almost certainly making too much money, and with a 221 day contract, it's hard to imagine a situation where Tanner won't eventually get fired. Tanner doesn't have the backstage presence or loyalty of a guy like Shawn Gonzales (which is the main reason you won't see him on this list). Tanner is not good enough to make a run at the Brass Knuckles title, too old and slow to pull off good matches against any of our A-Listers, and unlikely to improve, though perversely, Tanner has been one of our quicker to develop guys. Part of the reason for his depressing performance is because of my booking, of course, consistently putting him up against guys like Cammy Vessey and Kashmir Singh in a mentorship role... but that also explains his relatively padded win/loss record... [b]but goddamn if that mustache doesn't look fake. Just look at it![/b] [center]Tentative Verdict: Retain as a midcarder, use as a mentor with the younger guys. [b]Fire him later.[/b] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/TankBradley.jpg[/IMG] [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][u][SIZE="5"]Tank Bradley[/FONT][/u][/SIZE] Salary: $1,400 PPA Expires: 137 days Position: Midcard Match History: 4-0-8 Best Match: D+ versus Jack Giedroyc, Week 3 April, Vendetta! Average Match: D Analysis: There isn't much to say about Tank Bradley that can't be summed up by [b]"Even against Giedroyc, he only pulled a D+"[/b] or [b]"shaped like a bean burrito"[/b]. Bradley is still clinging to a little residual Alex-Braun stolen overness and while there might be some benefit to flaming that off, his matches are so crappy that even when he jobs out, the winner doesn't get much of a rub. Bradley looks bored in the ring, out of shape and uncreative, and seems to have a sense that everyone is unhappy with him. Nemesis has been begging me to let him drop the axe on a guy he considers one of DaVE's worst eye-sores, Cuban doesn't even know he exists and I don't have much interest in him. He might have potential, but on a roster with [b]Sammy Bach, Bulldozer Brandon Smith and Black Eagle[/b], there are a lot of other guys who are willing to work a lot harder for the same opportunity. Tentative Verdict: [b]Fire him as a warning to all the other fatties out there.[/b] [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/DeanMcWade.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/DallasMcWade.jpg[/IMG] [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][u][SIZE="5"]The McWade Brothers[/FONT][/u][/SIZE] Salary: $1,400 x2 Expires: 389 days (Dean)/ 187 days (Dallas) Position: Midcard Match History: 5-0-6 Best Match: C- versus Big Cat Brandon/Bulldozer Brandon Smith, April Week 1, Danger Zone. Average Match: D+ Analysis: [b]They should fit right in[/b]. Their description even says so - "seem to have fit in perfectly". I can't figure it out. These guys are tough bruisers, experienced as a team, willing to take nasty bumps. Yet all of their matches blow. I can't figure it out. The match against the Brandons was probably their best shot at scoring a good match, short of putting them up against some contrived non-team like [b]Eddie Peak and [b]Jack Giedroyc[/b], who could [b]presumably get at least mediocre ratings out of two ****er spaniels.[/b] And I read about them putting in solid matches up in Canada. So I really can't figure it out. But the McWades are more or less out of the tag title picture, and there's absolutely nothing else I can think of to do with them. It certainly doesn't make any sense to break the team up. I'm at a loss. Tentative Verdict: [b]Retain, reluctantly.[/b] The McWades aren't much good, but I'm short on legit tag teams and the tag division is a project. I need someone for up and coming teams to beat up on. [IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/monkeypocks/HellsBouncer.jpg[/IMG] [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][u][SIZE="5"]Hell's Bouncer[/FONT][/u][/SIZE] Salary: $1,400 PPA Expires: 137 days Position: Lower Midcard Match History: 4-0-13 Best Match: C versus Big Cat Brandon, March Week 3, Vendetta! Average Match: D+ Analysis: [b]I remember how excited we all were when we signed Hell's Bouncer.[/b] When you look at him, he's incredible. He looks dangerous, he's built like a tent (???), he's huge, he's got a great gimmick with the trenchcoat and the ear-piece. And as he comes down the ramp, you're sure that you're in for something special. And then he gets to the ring, and he sucks. He's got a great look, he's young, but it's clear that Vibert took one look at him and decided [b]we could figure out the "how to wrestle" part of it later[/b]. Even worse, he's not particularly "hardcore". He doesn't like chairs to the face, he isn't one for huge bumps, and despite his menacing look, he's sort of a softy. He can bring it (sort of) against guys who know how to sell, so he does okay against Giedroyc and Brandon, but there's no question he's been a disappointment, and given the scope of his stamina problems, even if he does learn how to wrestle, he'll still be prone to burning out in six minutes. Tentative Verdict: On the one hand, he's 21. On the other hand, [b]he's a 21 year old who burns out after six minutes.[/b] I know this is will be an unpopular call with Cuban, who only sees HB's incredible image, and Nemesis, who considers the big man a personal project, but [b]I think we should let him go[/b] while he's still young enough to get a credible start with a fed like MAW or NYCW. He'd fit right in over at USPW. But not DaVE.[/CENTER] [I][CENTER]Honorable Mentions:[/CENTER][/I] [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][b][u]Chris Caulfield:[/b][/u][/FONT] He's way too essential to DaVE's identity to fire and his written contract makes him something of an albatross... to the tune of 12,000 a month! I respect most of what Vibert did with DaVE, but he was absolutely nuts to push this contract across the table. In 170 days, Caulfield will either be taking a massive paycut or taking a new job. [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][b][u]The Latino Kings:[/b][/u][/FONT] They'd be gone, except I don't pay them very much. The worst of the three, Hector Galindo, will be leaving without rancor, as we have already informed him that we will not be renewing his contract and it is scheduled to expire in two weeks. Rudy Velasquez is scheduled to come up for contract negotation in approximately one month, and I anticipate extending him at that time for approximately $850 per. Jesus Chavez, the most over of the three, is too skilled in hardcore wrestling to let go. This thought process is far from my favorite part of booking, and I was happy to turn my attention to the list of prospects. [i](Please weigh in with your thoughts as you like. I'd like some feedback, both as dynasty readers and game players, about who you think should get axed and what I should do to them first.)[/i]

Just like to chime in here and say how much I thoroughly enjoyed the PPV. You know even with the forgone conclusion that Tyler would emerge from the tournament with the title and all that would be necessary for that to happen (ie the way to take Peak out) you still pulled off an excellent show and writeup. That is the mark of a great writer. Which you truly are. The way that you intermingle the backstage stuff; the charaterisation of the workers giving them all personalities that are believable. So much so that when I read other diaries that contain the same workers I notice myself going that isn't how he would react or he wouldn't do that. In the same way I react when someone does a real world diary and alters the real personalities of a worker. You have made these charaters real to me. As I've stated before, I don't delve into the CVerse as much as I would like. You said it a couple of posts back. Once you start a diary, it sort of takes over your game play experience(at least in my experience.) I bought 2005 and downloaded DOTT and played a little. Got caught up in real life things, but in essence thought and planned for mine for almost a year before I actually started it. So I can understand the things that you say about the planning. I have to battle with wanting to further mine along v the story that I have planned in my head and have so far resisted the urge to get in a hurry. The way you have set everything up, from the Tyler/Cuban fued to the Bach/Acid one are brilliant. The writeups for the Peak contract signing was was (what's a word that is better than brilliant?) Anyway, I'll stop now as I really must get to working on mine. Just keep up the good work. As long as you keep writing we'll keep reading. Summer sausage huh? I bet he hadn't even washed up yet had he?

First off, I know Im late, but great show. The depth of your writing is phenomenal, from the way the shows are presented to the backstage happenings. Secondly, good to see some of that dead weight gone, although I think with the way Tag Teams have been performing for you you might be better off sacking the entire devision. Sounds radical I know but It just seems to me that the crowds you are drawing crap on tag team wrestling in general.

[QUOTE=sabu_420;315768]Secondly, good to see some of that dead weight gone, although I think with the way Tag Teams have been performing for you you might be better off sacking the entire devision. Sounds radical I know but It just seems to me that the crowds you are drawing crap on tag team wrestling in general.[/QUOTE] OoC: Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'm going to think about it. Maybe add another midcard belt? Just have two belts? I have to agree with you, the tag division is going to continue, in all likelihood, to suck and be New Wave dominated. I really like Guide and Scout, but they both produce better matches, generally, on their own. Interesting.

[QUOTE=Monkeypox;315782]OoC: Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'm going to think about it. Maybe add another midcard belt? Just have two belts? I have to agree with you, the tag division is going to continue, in all likelihood, to suck and be New Wave dominated. I really like Guide and Scout, but they both produce better matches, generally, on their own. Interesting.[/QUOTE] I had the same thing over in Ring of Fire for quite a while; the tag division just underperformed horribly. I made a couple of extra teams more or less at random and threw them out there, which meant I had a match most shows, whether dark, for a title, or just plain tag matches. And suddenly the thing got traction, and the good grades started to dominate. Weird. I'd suggest looking at your future-main-eventers, to be honest; one of the things I did was take two guys who're clearly going to or near the top, and mentally assign one to the tag division and one to the singles midcard, and push them both. Gives you a main event collision that's unprecedented, down the line. (Might wanna test their chemistry in dark matches, of course.)

Archived