Benoit Dead

TheEdgeOfReason

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;252065]Without proof, I can make up just as many stats as I want to. I believe there is more deaths in the first five years someone retires, especially from the military. However, I don't have the statistic proof to make my point stand.[/QUOTE] It's a fallacy to assume its made up. [QUOTE=djthefunkchris;252071]That was over a 22 year (or longer) period of time. The football he was talking about was in one year's time. Wrestling has alot more then 500 people working in it. You have to count them all, from Ring of Honor, to TNA, to Ohio Valley Wrestling, and all over (the US), and compare it with Football, and you might be surprised. I don't know the stats to this, but I think there was a valid point made here. To say there is more "Need" for stronger etc.. athletes in wrestling then there is in Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc.. I just don't really believe that. You can achieve the physical structure without drugs. The choice is on the individual.... There was actually someone on this forum asking advice on how to build up, and steriods were brought up. It's a shame everyone forgets what goes on outside of wrestling, and makes wrestling out to be the worse.[/QUOTE] I'm done with this argument. Now we're waaayyyyy off track. You guys have obviously alowed your love for rasslin' to cloud your objectivity. Only an idiot would say that wrestling has no issues and does not put any more strain on its performers than any other industry. Only a complete idealist would say that the final solution is 'personal choice.' Other than the many people dropping dead, how about the people in the industry who get treated for drug addictions? How about the guys like Superstar Billy Graham who tell stories about the overwhelming steroid abuse? How about the guys like Raven and Jake Roberts who talk about how the stress of the road lifestyle affected their attempts to stay clean? how about Dynamite Kid spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because of the physical punishment and steroid use he went through? So all these peope just made 'bad decisions?' That's it? If they had been accountants or supermarket cashiers, they probably would've ended up in similar circumstances? I'm sure davey Boy Smith's heart would;'ve exploded f he'd been working at Wal-Mart. Whatever.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, its sort of dumb to say "well you have to take into account every single person who wrestles." You have to look at pro wrestling being guys who support themselves entirely on their wrestling career. Not the guys who do spot shows once a month for gas money. But the men who make their living by wrestling. THEN you can make a legitimate comparison in their condition and the conditions of athletes who make their living playing pro footbnall or basketball, etc. The other thing is, if you show that pro wrestlers are dying at the same rate as pro football player, all you've proven is that pro football is f*cked up, too.

[QUOTE=Carlito;251422]I don't want to tell my friends how he rocked the house with Shawn Michaels on RAW a couple years ago if they're just going to respond with, "Didn't he die in a hotel room in Lincoln, Nebraska?" or "Didn't he kill his wife not too long ago?" I mean, what's the point if so many of these guys are just going to leave us under such tragic circumstances. [/QUOTE] Absolutely. It's deeply saddening that with all that Benoit did in his career, all the amazing matches that earned him a god-like status in many fans' view... and likely all he'll be remembered for is when he snapped and murdered his family. Personally, I'll be taking the oppsite route. It's none of my business what people do in their own homes, vile and sinful and downright evil as it may be. I knew Benoit the Wrestler, that great wrestler, who could make The Miz look good in the ring. I'll watch his matches, I'll continue to rule DoR2 as him. And because WWE have probably pulled Raw from NZ this week, I will find it "some other way".

[QUOTE=tristram;252092]I still don't agree with the numbers you believe are in pro wrestling. Beyond the NFL teams, there's millions of players who play gridiron. How many people are involved in organised wrestling?[/QUOTE] Well, I don't have the exact numbers on hand mind you but considering there are wrestling feds throughout North America as well as feds operating in Mexico, Japan, Europe and Australia I'm going to guess: more then you'd think.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;252099]It's a fallacy to assume its made up. I'm done with this argument. Now we're waaayyyyy off track. You guys have obviously alowed your love for rasslin' to cloud your objectivity. Only an idiot would say that wrestling has no issues and does not put any more strain on its performers than any other industry. Only a complete idealist would say that the final solution is 'personal choice.' Other than the many people dropping dead, how about the people in the industry who get treated for drug addictions? How about the guys like Superstar Billy Graham who tell stories about the overwhelming steroid abuse? How about the guys like Raven and Jake Roberts who talk about how the stress of the road lifestyle affected their attempts to stay clean? how about Dynamite Kid spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because of the physical punishment and steroid use he went through? So all these peope just made 'bad decisions?' That's it? If they had been accountants or supermarket cashiers, they probably would've ended up in similar circumstances? I'm sure davey Boy Smith's heart would;'ve exploded f he'd been working at Wal-Mart. Whatever.[/QUOTE] First of all, I'm not letting my love for anything cloud my judgment or objectivity. I just don't believe in blaming an industry or job instead of taking personal responsibility for you own actions. I also NEVER said that wrestling has no problems, and I never said that it doesn't put more strain on it's participants than other industries. But in the end, it does come down to personal choice. You seem to contradict yourself. You have been saying throughout this whole thread that the WRESTLERS THEMSELVES are the ONLY ones who can cause change, and that a government agency couldn't do so. How would the wrestlers changing things themselves not be a personal choice on the part of the wrestlers? And you are right about guys like Raven and Jake Roberts and Dynamite. Had they been in a different industry, they may not have had the problems they now have. And most importantly, Benoit may have never killed himself and his family if he were in a different industry. But he also wouldn't have been famous in a different industry. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to entertain millions every week in a different industry. He wouldn't have made more money in a five year span than most people will make in their entire lives in a different industry. For me, these things don't offset the potential risks. For these men, it obviously did. I'll tell you a personal story. I was a very good high school football player, and was being recruited by a few major colleges. I wasn't the type of player who could go anywhere he wanted and start, but I honestly believe that by my second or third year I could have been a starter on a major college program. But I CHOSE not to pursue football, as I didn't like the effects it had on my body at the high school level. It was unnatural to me that an 18 year old person should be in some sort of pain(slight or more) as much as I was. It was unnatural to me to have had one documented concussion and at least one that wasn't documented in a one year time period. And so I gave up the sport. Would I have ever been a star in the NFL? Probably not. Would I have even made it to the NFL? Who knows, but I would have to say no at this point. But the fact is I didn't even try because it wasn't worth it to me. The fame, money, and ability to entertain millions wasn't worth my health. And while I will always wonder if I could have been one of the all-time greats, I still believe I made the right choice, especially evertime I here another news report about former players who have lost their memory or cant walk. In the end, it does come down to personal choice, because the industry will never change completely. Fact is, it has already changed for the better to some extent. Guys are on the road a lot less than they used to be. And guys are paid better than their fellow wrestlers were in the past. Not to mention the fact that the rings are safer. But at the end of the day, wrestling is still wrestling. The industry wont completely change because it wouldn't be beneficial to the promoters. With the big time changes some people want, many promoters would have to close their promotions. And the one's at the top would lose a ton of money. Which means they would probably cut pay-outs, and employ far less people. Which means a guy like chris benoit may not have ever even gotten a chance to do what he loved for a major company, because they may not have wanted to risk paying a guy who couldn't talk. Also, if the industry was changed, there would be far less people in it, because without the ability to manage their pain through pain pills, most guys probably wouldn't do it for long. Many of the guys on that lists didn't die from steriods, but from painkillers. Without those painkillers, they may not have been able to live their dreams. Are you telling me that crushing someone's lifelong dream is somehow going to make their psyche or life better? Again, I'm not saying that the wrestling industry has nothing to do with why these wrestlers have died or are going through other problems. But it isn't a simple an issue as just saying "blame wrestling". You have to blame many things: The industry, the medical community(for making these drugs so easily attainable), Friends who turn a blind eye to what is going on with a person, The fans(without us demanding hell in a cell matches or getting pumped up by huge falls and chair shots, they wouldn't do them. Ultimately, everything that is done is to earn our viewership and our money. If we didn't accept it, they wouldn't do it). Most importantly you have to blame the wrestlers. They know what kind of industry they are getting themselves into. They know the pitfalls. And yet they still MAKE THE CHOICE to join it. And THEY make the choice to do things that they think will get them ahead, even knowing how dangerous those things are. In the end, your personal choices are what define you. And to be honest, I find anyone who cant think for themselves and say no to some of the negative influences in the wrestling business to be a very weak person. But to each his own.

Sir, I have to go with you here. I'm sorry Peter, I ussually see your points alot harder, or more or less I change my viewpoint after reading your points, but I too was involved in many sports as a child. I've seen Steriod use, and people who choose to do them and people that don't. My first time actually seeing Steriod use was when I was an amateur boxer. My first time actually KNOWING what they were about (instead of what I was told then) was while playing High School Football. Boxing I done as a Teen, Football I could have gone on to college with. I chose the military instead... For some reason I felt the need to "server my country" at that time. To make a very long story short. Kids were doing Steriods on the football team, during practice and while working out. Many of them were "HUGE" far as muscle's, and the results were totally awesome. I didn't do them then, and I don't believe in them now. BEFORE This, I seen the use in Boxing. They "Juiced" them up before match's. I never did it, and it was easy to avoid because I was very young compared to the people I went up against. Being a tad big in my early teens, I was going against grown men instead of kids my own age (not that there were a whole lot of them). From 15 to 16 I was into boxing pretty regular, and the effects were very similar to Sir's post. These guys in wrestling feel pressure, and perhaps it is bigger, because of it being in the limelight more often then not. I just don't "buy" that it would effect anyone with Sir's state of mind, or my own. It's pretty simple to me, either you do illegal drugs or you don't. I split it down the line pretty dramatically, as I do nothing illegal period. Alot of people consider one "better" then the other one, and that it's not as bad as this or that one, but I don't get into that because as long as it's illegal, it's not even a question or decision for me. The facts are this... Everyone in life has peer pressure. Some people do not have as much as other's, but saying a Pro Wrestler has it "SO BAD" is laughable to me. I come from the East Side of Cleveland, I've hung around the worse parts of town, because that's where I was raised most my life. I've had just about every opportunity to go the wrong way a person can have, and yet I come out of everything pretty clean. I have had my "Moments" as I'm sure most people have... Here's a little example: I remember vividly playing basketball on one of the middle school playgrounds. Gunshots were fired, and two of the guys I'm playing ball with are almost instantly dead. I knew them that day, and we waited for the police to arrive. We were not waiting to answer questions of what happened, or to explain what the car that the gunshots come out of looked like. We were their waiting to get our Basketball court back (which of course didn't happen). That's a messed up way of looking at things in retrospect, but that was just the way we or I lived back then. I have alot of friends that died (car accidents and the like) from being in drug induced states. One time in particular, I wouldn't go with three of my friends because they were all "High" and partying and driving crazy. The next day I find the driver is in the hospital, paralyzed for life. The other two died. Within a couple of months the driver died as well. My choice's have effected me so much that If I have a bad feeling about something I just don't get involved... It's come to pass to many times that I just escaped my own tragedy by making the "RIGHT" decision. In the neighborhood I live in now, I do not let my 16 year old just go outside to "Play". He has to have a reason, a time frame, and if there is any way I can take him there and back I do so. It's not that I dont' trust him, because I trust my son more then anyone else in the world. It's I don't trust other's. His peers are going to jail (or halfway house's, or kiddie jail, whatever) left and right, and he's not going to be any part of that. He will sit here with me by HIS computer and have fun enjoying the better things that I can find for him to enjoy. He understands alot of things I preach on, and he himself has more then a few times had similar, or seen similar incidents that I've went through. ONE THING I WANT TO MAKE CLEAR THOUGH: I believe everyone is a victim of their environment, or a product there of. So if your from the "yard" your 75% of the time going to be just like everyone else that lives on the "yard", "Hood", or whatever fancy names they might use for neighborhood these days. If you come from a prejudice environment, then you will probably have prejudice tendency's yourself. If your friends all do drugs, then you yourself probably have at least tried them as well. If your families been on welfare for generations, then your apt to believe it's normal. Everyone is human and makes a mistake now and then. These things do not make credible reasons AFTER KNOWING The consequence's. Anyways... TO say a WRESTLER Has it SOOOOO BAAADDD!! In life, especially one's that are in The WWE... Just does not compute to me. I"m sorry, but if your making a good living, have a house like Benoit did (and it's not even the ONLY house he had), your doing pretty dang good in life. Mentally something snapped, but to say his "Hardships" in the wrestling bussiness is so demanding or sooooo Tough, or that your influenced SOOO MUCH more then in other aspects in life is just unbelievable to me. Wrestling itself is demanding, but then again so is MMA, Boxing, Football, etc. You want to stick out you work hard, and do things the right way... You want to do steriods, go be a professional bodybuilder.

[QUOTE=ubernoob;252490]If you heard it on Fox News - Don't believe it until you hear it from another source.[/QUOTE] You have to think this leads to another, umm... Gosh.. I've already convicted him but.... What if he come home, found them both dead, then committed suicide? Or maybe just found her dead, and committed suicide. No, I don't want to think of this stuff anymore today, lol.

[quote=Rajah.com] Fox News is reporting that an anonymous user out of Stamford, CT edited Chris Benoit's entry on Wikipedia to feature the comments, "However, Chris Benoit was replaced by Johnny Nitro for the ECW Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy." The comments led to Wikipedia volunteers contacting Fayetteville, Georgia authorities. However, the I.P. address in question also made a series of other edits to different entries, including former WWE Diva Stacy Keibler, WWE star Chavo Guerrero, NBA player Ron Artest and the HBO series The Sopranos. Many of the edits were misspelled or explicit in nature, leading one to believe that the postings were made by a hoaxer. You can read this person's past edits here. Even though the IP address is being traced back to Stamford, CT, it's also entirely conceivable that the user was concealing his true IP address. One person who knows a lot about internet technology said, "They have software out there that you install on your computer that will change your IP address and location or origin that people will see on the Internet. IP spoofing is a little more technical so with this user, based on the grammar, looks to be someone young using a software program of that nature." More than likely, this person made a wild guess regarding the Benoit situation at the time, and this person turned out to be right.[/quote] From Rajah

[QUOTE=sirniles2000;252202]Again, I'm not saying that the wrestling industry has nothing to do with why these wrestlers have died or are going through other problems. But it isn't a simple an issue as just saying "blame wrestling". You have to blame many things: The industry, the medical community(for making these drugs so easily attainable), Friends who turn a blind eye to what is going on with a person, The fans(without us demanding hell in a cell matches or getting pumped up by huge falls and chair shots, they wouldn't do them. Ultimately, everything that is done is to earn our viewership and our money. If we didn't accept it, they wouldn't do it). Most importantly you have to blame the wrestlers. They know what kind of industry they are getting themselves into. They know the pitfalls. And yet they still MAKE THE CHOICE to join it. And THEY make the choice to do things that they think will get them ahead, even knowing how dangerous those things are. In the end, your personal choices are what define you. And to be honest, I find anyone who cant think for themselves and say no to some of the negative influences in the wrestling business to be a very weak person. But to each his own.[/QUOTE] Never said it was entirely the industry. I said that the industry creates a dangerous environment so it has to share the blame. It has to.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;252569]Never said it was entirely the industry. I said that the industry creates a dangerous environment so it has to share the blame. It has to.[/QUOTE] Based on what you just said, I apologize. I was misreading what you were trying to say. And I agree with you that the industry does have a share in the blame. I think we would probably disagree on how much of a role the industry plays, but we can completely agree on the fact that the industry does play some role.

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;252171]Well, I don't have the exact numbers on hand mind you but considering there are wrestling feds throughout North America as well as feds operating in Mexico, Japan, Europe and Australia I'm going to guess: more then you'd think.[/QUOTE] Dude, I can assure you there's ferk all going on in Australia in the way of professional wrestling.

Whoever posted that "article" about Kevin Sullivan possibly killing Benoit is searching for something that isn't there. True, it's good that the police look at EVERY possible situation... However, In all honesty... I don't see how anything in that article can really be held as a "true lead". EDIT: Not the poster who posted it on this site, Sorry Von Dozier. I didn't mean you, I meant the person who originally wrote the article.

Dead Wrestler's Web Page Was Altered By HARRY R. WEBER, Associated Press Writer ATLANTA - Investigators are looking into who altered pro wrestler Chris Benoit's Wikipedia entry to mention his wife's death hours before authorities discovered the bodies of the couple and their 7-year-old son. Benoit's Wikipedia entry was altered early Monday to say that the wrestler had missed a match two days earlier because of his wife's death. A Wikipedia official, Cary Bass, said Thursday that the entry was made by someone using an Internet protocol address registered in Stamford, Conn., where World Wrestling Entertainment is based. An IP address, a unique series of numbers carried by every machine connected to the Internet, does not necessarily have to be broadcast from where it is registered. The bodies were found in Benoit's home in suburban Atlanta, and it's not known where the posting was sent from, Bass said.

It was just a vandalism. Most likely due to hearing that he missed the PPV due to "Personal Issues" and that he supposedly said his wife and son were sick. It's been said before by somebody on these boards, but this Same IP addy made a few other changes to a few other WIKI's. I'm going to quote them. They are rude and offensive in the most part. Tell me if you want them deleted from this post. [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/69.120.111.23"]Link to page of changes made by IP[/URL] Change made to Chavo Guerrerro [removed 'cause I was wrong] Change made to Ron Artest [quote] Ron Artest: 100 Percent N[word] [i]I'm not quoting that exactly. No way.[/i] [/quote] Two changes made to Stacy Keibler [quote] People want to [cencored] her in her lovely [cencored] and whip her [cencored] til the dawn of day. Many people fantasize about ramming their [cencored] up her [cencored]. [/quote] Note, I removed a few objectional words from that. and [quote] She also has a nice large ass that any straight man would like to spend a nice with. [/quote] I think it's safe to say that this is a red herring the media is attaching onto in order to try and make a more sensational story.

Actually, the Chavo edit he did was to remove the vandalism you quoted not to put it in. Most of the other edits he did were little more than one liners (the Ron Artest ones, Wild Ass ones, The Bronx, Golden State Warriors, and Sopranos edits) or apparently helpful (assuming the Naugatuck, Connecticut ones are the correct names). Hardly the "normal" edits of a Wiki vandal.

Ok. I read it wrong then. I assumed the red text was changes made my him. Either way, I still stand by this being a coincidental edit done as a prank that turned out to be all too true. Instead of what's being implied, somebody in WWE [b]knowing[/b] about the death, and instead of telling the cops, going on WIKI and editing Chris Benoits profile. Also, I'm fairly sure Naugatuck, Connecticut doesn't have a "Board of WINNNNNNNNNNGS"

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;251751]Already been addressed More than likely this is a complete overreaction and/or misrepresentation by the media to what is a totally legtimate treatment of a very real disease. The are [I]actual [/I]reasons to give a child HGH.[/QUOTE] Doctors have already confirmed that there was [B]NO[/B] reason to be giving the boy ANY kind of injections for his disease. In fact, if Benoit was giving him steriods, HGH, etc it would have made the condition worse because it would have promoted aggressive behavior. Fragile X is a mental retardation and the steriods would not have helped. The only medication that a boy with this disease would take are in pill form (femlales do sometimes take injections but never boys). Also authorities have already raided Benoit's doctor's office looking for evidence that he gave either Benoit or his son steriods, HGH, etc and if the doctor did then he is looking at very serious charges. You might want to think twice before defending the actions of someone who committed a double murder/suicide and previously had been injecting his son with illegal drugs! Benoit is a beast and should be made the villian at every opporunity. He lived the big life and played the star, but now it is time for his reputation to be destroyed and his memory to be erased forever!!!

[QUOTE=DocStevens;252859]Doctors have already confirmed that there was [B]NO[/B] reason to be giving the boy ANY kind of injections for his disease. In fact, if Benoit was giving him steriods, HGH, etc it would have made the condition worse because it would have promoted aggressive behavior. Fragile X is a mental retardation and the steriods would not have helped. The only medication that a boy with this disease would take are in pill form (femlales do sometimes take injections but never boys). Also authorities have already raided Benoit's doctor's office looking for evidence that he gave either Benoit or his son steriods, HGH, etc and if the doctor did then he is looking at very serious charges. You might want to think twice before defending the actions of someone who committed a double murder/suicide and previously had been injecting his son with illegal drugs! Benoit is a beast and should be made the villian at every opporunity. He lived the big life and played the star, but now it is time for his reputation to be destroyed and his memory to be erased forever!!![/QUOTE] And you might want to calm down. Part of the symptoms of the disease are also a physical dwarfism. One of the treatments for dwarfism is HGH. You're making it out like Chris Benoit was this Frankenstein experimenting on his son. But for all you know he may have been doing it because he thought it might help. It wouldn't be the first time a misinformed parent treated his child incorrectly. What Benoit did was horrendous and there are no excuses. But up until the moment he snapped, by all accounts he was a caring father and a decent guy. He had a meltdown, murdered his family, and his name will be tarnished forever. He will never be seen in the same light again. Not sure what the point is, exactly, in trying to tranish everything he'd ever done in his life up to that point. !!!

So, it's official now, check benoit's wiki page, there's a link to it during the death section, the guy posted on the wikinews site, stating... [QUOTE]I posted the comment we are all talking about and I am here to explain that it was A HUGE COINCIDENCE and nothing more Hey everyone. I am here to talk about the wikipedia comment that was left by myself. I just want to say that it was an incredible coincidence. Last weekend, I had heard about Chris Benoit no showing Vengeance because of a family emergency, and I had heard rumors about why that was. I was reading rumors and speculation about this matter online, and one of them included that his wife may have passed away, and I did the wrong thing by posting it on wikipedia to spite there being no evidence. I posted my speculation on the situation at the time and I am deeply sorry about this, and I was just as shocked as everyone when I heard that this actually would happen in real life. It is one of those things that just turned into a huge coincidence. That night I found out that what I posted, ended up actually happening, a 1 in 10,000 chance of happening, or so I thought. I was beyond wrong for posting wrongful information, and I am sorry to everyone for this. I just want everyone to know it was stupid of me, and I will never do anything like this again. I just posted something that was at that time a piece of wrong unsourced information that is typical on wikipedia, as it is done all the time. Nonetheless, I feel incredibly bad for all the attention this got because of the fact that what I said turned out to be the truth. Like I said it was just a major coincidence, and I will never vandalize anything on wikipedia or post wrongful information. I've learned from this experience. I just can't believe what I wrote was actually the case, I've remained stunned and saddened over it. I wish not to reveal my identity so I can keep me and my family out of this since they have nothing to do with anything. I am not connected to WWE or Benoit at all in anyway. I am from Stamford as the IP address shows, and I am just an everyday individual who posted a wrongful remark at the time that received so much attention because it turned out to actually happen. I will say again I didn't know anything about the Benoit tragedy, it was a terrible coincidence that I never saw coming. I hope this puts an end to this speculation that someone knew about the tragedy before it was discovered. It was just a rumor that I had heard about from other people online who were speculating what the family emergency Chris was attending to. I made a big mistake by posting this comment on his page, since all we had were what we thought was going on and nothing about what actually was going on yet, and sadly what happened turned out to be my speculation at the time. I assumed wiki would edit out my information, which they did, so thats why I didn't go back to edit it out myself. I know I keep repeating it but I feel terrible about the mainstream coverage this has received, since it was only a huge coincidence and a terrible event that should of never happened. I am not sure how to react, as hearing about my message becoming a huge part of the Benoit slayings made me feel terrible as everyone believes that it is connected to the tragedy, but it was just an awful coincidence. That is all I have to say, I will never post anything here again unless it is pure fact, no spam nothing like that. Thank you, and let this end this chapter of the Benoit story, and hopefully one day we will find out why this tragedy ever actually happened.[/QUOTE] It is at the same IP address as well.

[QUOTE=DocStevens;252859]You might want to think twice before defending the actions of someone who ... had been injecting his son with illegal drugs! [/QUOTE] Only the Beniot's doctors (or [I]experts[/I] on Fragile X) can say if the steriods were being used legitmately, and despite following this story religiously, I can't find any evidence that these people have been spoken to. And either way, both Beniot and his wife would have known about these injections. We don't know which one of these two were responsible for actually carrying out the injections (under advice or doctor or not). We know Beniot murdered two people. However, that doesn't mean that we can just start piling crimes on him without further evidence. That's for tabloids and their "Drug fueled rampage" stories.

Archived