SUGGESTION: Remove "co cky" from the word filter.

Rathen4

I see loads of diaries and posts that are thrown a bit out of kilter by this word being censored - I don't think I've ever seen anyone being called this word in anger on here - there are far better ones for that - and honestly it's just getting annoying having to figure out whether people are actually swearing or just trying to use this word. To be honest, any type of word filter on a forum is a bit silly, but really this one is a bit OTT.

[QUOTE=Rathen4;450980]To be honest, any type of word filter on a forum is a bit silly, but really this one is a bit OTT.[/QUOTE] Dude, in essence, I agree with you but I think you're not considering something: this forum is more than a community for us to engage in, it's an advertisement, of sorts, for Arlie and Adam's (and others') business. They are clearly trying to promote an atmosphere that is as comfortable as possible for as many people as possible and I don't think that can be criticised when one realises that this is their work/livelihood. Would you consider saying "Hey, boss, I think we should allow the inclusion of rude words on the company website!" :D. So, while I and probably many others, are not offended by the word, it's just pointless to potentially alienate those who are for the sake of a few censored sections in a diary. Just my tuppence worth on the issue. Quote The Raven Nevermore

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;451029]Willy.... [I]*snicker*[/I] What I find strange isn't that the word is blocked, but that the "D" equivalent isn't blocked. Why have one blocked but not the other?[/QUOTE] My guess is that it happens to be some people's name; like Batman's former ward, Dick Grayson.

[QUOTE=Actarus;451030]My guess is that it happens to be some people's name; like Batman's former ward, Dick Grayson.[/QUOTE] You might be onto something there. There was a kid at my highschool who had a humourous surname but that'd get blocked. :D (just tried it and it doesn't get blocked! :eek:)

[quote=The Shape;451024]I doubt there's a single person on this planet who would find their way to these forums, see the word in question and form a more negative opinion of GDS as a result.[/quote] While that might be true, it could also trigger blocking of the site by any of the internet filtering apps out there, causing a reduction in sales. *shrug* It is what it is, I guess.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;451029]Willy.... [I]*snicker*[/I] What I find strange isn't that the word is blocked, but that the "D" equivalent isn't blocked. Why have one blocked but not the other?[/QUOTE] Simple. Because Dick is often a person's name. Both first and last but usually first. You want to tell Dickie Newcomer he can't have his real name as a posting ID because its also a rude reference to the man's Tab A? I don't think I do. Oh and to work around the filtering of the OP's word on forums, I usually replace the potential offensive rooster reference with one to wall sealant. I.E. "caulky". It may take a second or two to sight translate. But read aloud it pronounces almost exactly the same.

It's just like on the Football Manager forum, it censors out the name of English team "S****horpe" because it has a rude word inside. I guess it's just unlucky that we can't use the word c*cky in dynasties. EDIT: It censors S****horpe out here too. :)

I agree with the sentiments of the OP. Surely it can't be that hard to censor words whilst not censoring them when in the middle of a proper word? S****horpe being a prime example ofcourse. Always have to remember to write c0cky in my diary when describing a character.

[QUOTE=sebsy;451803]Surely it can't be that hard to censor words whilst not censoring them when in the middle of a proper word?[/QUOTE] Well I wouldn't be so sure to be honest, especially without it becoming so that you could simply use the plurals to ensure they got through the filter :p

[QUOTE=sebsy;451812]Apologies for using this word but I am making an example :)[/QUOTE] ...and, thus, could begin the downward spiral ;). The plural point is also correct. Any number of modifications to a given word could be made possible. I really don't see how it's that much of an issue. Quote The Raven Nevermore

• 5 weeks later...
[QUOTE=sebsy;451812]Just censor out exact words surely? So you would censor c0ck, c0ckhead etc but not c0cky? Apologies for using this word but I am making an example :)[/QUOTE] I wouldn't censor any of those as they don't really count on the 'swearometer' for me.

Archived